Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198570 - 09/02/03 05:24 PM How to adjust idle speed
xxxsolarxxx Offline

Loc: New York
Hi folks,

I've been driving my auto X for two years without any major problem. But for the recent few months, the idling has gone up about 80rpm - 100rpm. So whenever I come to a stop, I have to brake a bit harder than before to stop the car. I also noticed when I release the gas pedal, the rev of the engine always hesitate before returning to normal.

I brought the Haynes Repair Manual and tried to adjust the idling, but the odd thing is I couldn't find the idle adjustment screw eventhough they have a picture in the manual.

I don't want to bring it back to the dealer cuz of their bad service. Could anyone tell me how to adjust the idling or is there something wrong with the cable returning mechanism?

Thanks,
xxxsolarxxx

#198571 - 09/02/03 06:08 PM Re: How to adjust idle speed
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
How long have you gone w/out changing the air filter?

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#198572 - 10/02/03 01:28 AM Re: How to adjust idle speed
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Perhaps the gas pedal cable is not allowing the throttle plate to return to the idle stop.

When the engine is hot check that there is a little bit of play in the cable at the throttle pulley.

The screw is near the top of the manifold and faces the rear if I recall correctly. Someone had a procedure written at one time...

#198573 - 10/02/03 06:29 PM Re: How to adjust idle speed
xxxsolarxxx Offline

Loc: New York
Hi CharlieX,

I changed the air filter at 20,000 miles, now the X is 27,000. I'll still check to see if the filter is clogged. BTW, is there any relation between air filter and fast engine rev?

Paul,

I checked the pedal cable and there is enough play for the throttle plate to return to idle stop. I manually roll the throttle pulley and it also return fine. But whatever way I tried, the engine just hesitate or slowly returning back to a higher idling speed...

Thanks for you info about where the adjusting screw is. I still couldn't find it, will have to try again in the next few days when the weather is warmer...

Thanks,
xxxsolarxxx

#198574 - 11/02/03 06:42 AM Re: How to adjust idle speed
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
[Laughing] Yah, I can see how that would look like a strange thing to say...I have had some pretty weird things happen to vehicles that were overdue for the filter and a higher idle speed was one of them.

Stand on the drivers side of the X and look at the rear of the manifold in the corner for the idle adjusting screw.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#198575 - 13/02/03 10:23 AM Re: How to adjust idle speed
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal