shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203005 - 05/09/03 04:11 PM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA

#203006 - 05/09/03 05:21 PM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Check 5 posts before yours...thanks anyways.

#203007 - 05/09/03 08:34 PM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, just saw that. You're welcome anyways...

#203008 - 09/09/03 09:57 AM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
I take no pride in "being an American," because it was not by choice I was born in this country any more than it was a Muslim terrorist's choice that he was born in his. What matters is that I live life in such a way that I can enjoy it unapologetically. Being an American has dick to do with that, and it's silly to think otherwise. The "Love it or leave it" attitude is depressing to hear, because it's such an antithesis to what this nation stands for. And why should I leave such a beautiful landscape just because I disagree with the PEOPLE in power? Why should I give up a chance to see the Grand Canyon, or Mt. Rainier, or the Okefenokee Swamp just because I don't like our government?

Why should anyone else?

I don't care about the US as a 'nation,' but I do respect what matters -- the land and the people in it. Sadly, few others do, especially those in power.

Proud to be American, no. Happy to be alive, yes.

#203009 - 09/09/03 11:37 AM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
I take no pride in "being an American," because it was not by choice I was born in this country any more than it was a Muslim terrorist's choice that he was born in his. What matters is that I live life in such a way that I can enjoy it unapologetically. Being an American has dick to do with that, and it's silly to think otherwise. The "Love it or leave it" attitude is depressing to hear, because it's such an antithesis to what this nation stands for. And why should I leave such a beautiful landscape just because I disagree with the PEOPLE in power? Why should I give up a chance to see the Grand Canyon, or Mt. Rainier, or the Okefenokee Swamp just because I don't like our government?

Why should anyone else?

I don't care about the US as a 'nation,' but I do respect what matters -- the land and the people in it. Sadly, few others do, especially those in power.

Proud to be American, no. Happy to be alive, yes.
I understand what you are saying and couldnt disagree with you more. I don't like to give the "Love it or Leave it" answer to anyone except those who say things like, "If Bush is elected president I am moving out of the country."

To my disagreements.

Quote:
What matters is that I live life in such a way that I can enjoy it unapologetically. Being an American has dick to do with that, and it's silly to think otherwise.
There are not many countries on this earth where this is true, so it has alot to do with being an American. Our freedoms are what make this country what it is.

Quote:
I see the people and the land as the "nation". I see them as one in the same.

I dont argue with a person's right to have an opinion. But I sure as hell have the right to disagree with that opinion.

I quite frankly cant even begin to understand your reasoning for your post. I take more pride in "being an American" than probably anything else. I am proud of what this country stands for, I am proud of the legacy this country already has in the course of history. Being an American has everythingto do with the way you are able to live your life. I am saddened that you don't see it that way.

#203010 - 09/09/03 12:06 PM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
TremorX Offline

I just don't see a point in taking pride in something you had no part in becoming. It's like saying you're proud to be a redhead, or a male, or six-fingered. None of these are within your power, so why pat yourself on the back for it?

I am content and grateful to have been born in America, but I don't hold our nation as something to be prideful of.

And by nation, I use the definition of "a relatively large group of people organized under a single, usually independent government."

Sure, our government works, and it probably is the best in the world, but it's not without its own lot of huge, gaping problems.

#203011 - 09/09/03 12:22 PM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
sdx Offline

Loc: Boston
Quote:
I just don't see a point in taking pride in something you had no part in becoming. It's like saying you're proud to be a redhead, or a male, or six-fingered. None of these are within your power, so why pat yourself on the back for it?
Well unlike being a redhead, male or six fingered, you can give up your citizenship and get out. You have a choice, so [Save the fine unicorns] :rolleyes:

#203012 - 09/09/03 01:39 PM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Quote:

So by your logic, an immigrant born in Estonia who comes here and becomes a citizen can take pride in being an American because he made a choice to come here? WTF are you talking about? [Huh?]

#203013 - 09/09/03 03:26 PM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
TremorX Offline

Maybe we're thinking about it differently. By "pride" I refer to the notion that you feel superior to other nations/cultures/people/etc, which seems to be the general attitude from most people; that the US is infallable or indestructable, its people the same. I don't know, maybe it's not being read right... it's not like I'm saying "FUX THE USA HAHAHA GWB SUXZ GUYS," I'm just saying that there's a much bigger and more important picture than just being "American," and that fact is, to sound cliche, "what's wrong with the world" and has been since the beginning of time.

Or maybe I've lost my mind and can't create or form a coherent thought anymore, shit.

#203014 - 10/09/03 01:34 PM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
off2cjb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sd-xterra:
Quote:
[b]I just don't see a point in taking pride in something you had no part in becoming. It's like saying you're proud to be a redhead, or a male, or six-fingered. None of these are within your power, so why pat yourself on the back for it?
Well unlike being a redhead, male or six fingered, you can give up your citizenship and get out. You have a choice, so [Save the fine unicorns] :rolleyes: [/b]
Short, sweet, and direct. I like it. Well said.

#203015 - 11/09/03 05:27 AM Re: Johnny Depp speaks out on CNN
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
how about we just not care what depp says and take his money and buy mclaren f1's?
then we could drive faster than 200 mph and sit in the middle of our cars while doing it, like a ghetto post office vehicle, or a baja racer...
laugh david laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal