2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206032 - 02/06/05 03:57 PM Re: President Clinton
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
I would say it's funny...but you guys need to start thinking of new jokes. This thing is what, 3 or 4 years old?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#206033 - 03/06/05 01:21 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

My take on Hilary in 2008:

- she is very likely to win the Democratic primary unless she really screws up. Why? She knows politics, how to raise $$$, and I don't think there is anyone else on the horizon who can grab the limelight from her.

- she *may* win the presidential nod too. The Republicans are likely to have a bloodbath during the primaries. It will be hard to campaign against her *and* her hubby. Negative campaigns, on the level we saw against Kerry in 2004, will probably not sit well with the public because Hilary "is a lady". :rolleyes:

I have mixed views about Hilary. Yes, she is terribly slimey ... but probably no worse than her hubby, or any other senator, or even Dubya. Perhaps because she is a woman she doesn't wear it so well. laugh But like her husband she is enormously talented and, well, she probably can handle being president.

So in the end I would vote for her but I'd hate doing it. Like someone else posted, it is about time we had a woman president. I just wish it wasn't her.

_Lazza

#206034 - 03/06/05 01:23 PM Re: President Clinton
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Whatever happens, whoever wins, I know one thing.

My taxes will still rise, cost of living will still go up, and I'll still complain about it all.

#206035 - 03/06/05 01:48 PM Re: President Clinton
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I would vote for that bitch with WilMac's fingers. [Finger]

#206036 - 03/06/05 02:03 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
I would vote for that bitch with WilMac's fingers. [Finger]
That means she'd get ten votes, but I'd use gloves. Nasty! eek [LOL]

#206037 - 03/06/05 04:14 PM Re: President Clinton
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
A woman will never be a US president. A black, like Colin Powell, has a better chance of winning, just based on his military record alone. It will simply not work. How many women are CEO's? There are few out there, but how many are successful?

How many countries in the world have a woman leaders? There are a few, but how big and/or successful are they?

Women in the US are not the same as women around the world. There not on the same social or financial structure. Take the Arab world for instance. Women can barely vote there, if at all. They are second class citizens.

How, as leaders of the free world, can we send a woman (as President, not Secretary of State) to represent us? You cannot. It won't work. Will she have to wear a burka when meeting with Arab leaders?

As for Hillary, she is too polarizing. If she was such a great politician, why is she not Senator from Arkansas then? Why did she have to carpetbag to New York to win a Senate seat?

Women, in my opinion, should stay at home and take of the children. When women left the home for the workplace our society started to decline. Women are not genetically made up to make tough decisions. They are nurturers(sp?); not fighters. That is a fact. Most women cannot decide what shoes to wear that matches their purses. How can we expect one to make a life-threatening decision?

Do you want a woman in charge of the military? I don't. I don't want one to decide on who our next military target is.

IMHO,
Stone

#206038 - 03/06/05 04:20 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonecoldchavez:
Women, in my opinion, should stay at home and take of the children. When women left the home for the workplace our society started to decline. Women are not genetically made up to make tough decisions. They are nurturers(sp?); not fighters. That is a fact. Most women cannot decide what shoes to wear that matches their purses. How can we expect one to make a life-threatening decision?
1948 called. They want their opinion back.

#206039 - 03/06/05 04:27 PM Re: President Clinton
Mobycat Offline

Quote:

How many countries in the world have a woman leaders? There are a few, but how big and/or successful are they?
Hmm... Indira Ghandi, Gold Meir, Margaret Thatcher. There's been a number of successful queens (that actually have/had power). Does it matter how "big" they are? If they are successful, they are successful.

Quote:
Women are not genetically made up to make tough decisions. They are nurturers(sp?); not fighters. That is a fact. Most women cannot decide what shoes to wear that matches their purses. How can we expect one to make a life-threatening decision?
eek
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#206040 - 03/06/05 05:23 PM Re: President Clinton
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:
Quote:
[b]Women, in my opinion, should stay at home and take of the children. When women left the home for the workplace our society started to decline. Women are not genetically made up to make tough decisions. They are nurturers(sp?); not fighters. That is a fact. Most women cannot decide what shoes to wear that matches their purses. How can we expect one to make a life-threatening decision?
1948 called. They want their opinion back.[/b]
Ahahaha! Pretty funny Wilmac.

I'll take 1948, the world was a much safer place......

Stone

#206041 - 03/06/05 05:35 PM Re: President Clinton
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]
Hmm... Indira Ghandi, Gold Meir, Margaret Thatcher. There's been a number of successful queens (that actually have/had power). Does it matter how "big" they are? If they are successful, they are successful.

Quote:
Women are not genetically made up to make tough decisions. They are nurturers(sp?); not fighters. That is a fact. Most women cannot decide what shoes to wear that matches their purses. How can we expect one to make a life-threatening decision?
eek [/b]
Moby,

Ghandi, hhmmmm, India, not a real big economic or military superpower. Gold Meir- never heard of her. Margaret Thatcher- Prime Minister. No REAL power. You didn't mention any women, from really influental countries.

C'mon, you never have worked with women, who are in charge, that made any important or influental decisions? All the women I have ever worked with could never make a decision without agonizing over it, debating it to death, worrying who the decision will offend, etc. Women are too emotional when it comes to decision making or they try to play "corporate toughwoman" to show they can make a decision. That has been my experiences with women in corporate america.

Stone

#206042 - 03/06/05 05:54 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow man....just....seriously....do you actually think that way, or are you pulling an Andy Kaufman? And if you actually do think that way, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you don't get much attention from the ladies. At least not the ones that can read.

#206043 - 03/06/05 06:05 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

PS, Stone...Golda Meir was Prime Minister of Israel during the late sixties and early seventies. Israel may not be a "military superpower", but Israel, after the Six Day War, would need some solid leadership, especially in a security sense....why am I wasting my time explaining this shit to you? Stick your nose in a book NOT written by somebody at Fox News once in a while. Then, once you've learned something, you can make all the broad-sweeping generalizations you want.

On second thought, don't bother. Education is for liberal faggots.

#206044 - 03/06/05 06:39 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stone. [Freak]

I don't know what else to add... [Huh?]

#206045 - 03/06/05 07:25 PM Re: President Clinton
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Margaret Thatcher- Prime Minister. No REAL power. You didn't mention any women, from really influental countries.
[Huh?] Again....

Maggie had no real power? Really? That's news to me. Who exactly was it that sent the British navy into the Falklands? And are you saying Britain isn't a "really" influential country? That leaves what, the U.S. and the former Soviet Union?

So the Prime Minister of the UK doesn't have any real power - which means that Thatcher, Blair and yes, even Churchill, had no real power.

#206046 - 03/06/05 08:07 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most women definitely have a different style than the men in the same positions. I've had female bosses for nearly 10 years and am very relieved to have a new male boss starting next week. Not nearly so "feeling" driven.

That said, women are as capable as men in leadership roles....not all women....then again, not all men are cut out for it either.

I would vote for a female candidate if her politics are in the right place. Hillary's are so far left there's no chance in hell I'd vote for her.

#206047 - 04/06/05 04:41 AM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know, during the last presidential campaign the Republican party was successful as brandishing anyone who considered themselves on the left as un-American, un-Christian, anti-family, pro-queer, blah-blah. Very negative, polarizing .. and just plain ugly. The Democrats refrained from labeling right wingers as bible-toting, homophobic, xenophonic, NRA-loving, militaristic Nazis ... or at least delegated the name calling duties to Michael Moore and Howard Dean. It's not surprising that more than a third of registered voters didn't go to the polls in the 2004 election; why vote for people who spend millions spouting out hateful rubbish?

Let's just hope in 2008 there is more constructive dialogue. Should Hilary run I don't want to hear about the Monica Lewinsky shit, much like I didn't want to hear about Swift Boat ads or Dubya's elusive "military record". Likewise polarizing issues such as gay marriage and abortion actually directly impact a minority of people (5% of folks are gay, most women do not get abortions, and I assume very few gay women get abortions eek ) ... and they lead to very ugly campaigning. Economic, education, welfare and foreign policy matters are boring BUT these should be the headline issues.

Hilary Clinton, with her hubby in the background, is capable of understanding and working economic, education, welfare and foreign policy matters. I don't give a poop about her views on abortion and gay rights because ultimately the courts will drive these matters in on direction or another .. and these issues don't impact my life. I suppose then my only wish wrt these issues is that whomever gets into office he/she selects "balanced" individuals to lead the higher courts.

So let's wait to see how Hilary handles the important issues. Yes, she is certainly one "un-huggable" individual. As a former New Yorker I was *very* unhappy when she waltzed in from Arkansas to become senator of my home state. But much to my chagrine she seems to be doing a capable job.

Stepping off my soapbox...

_Lazza

PS - other folks have posted suggesting Rudy Guilliani would make a good presidential candidate. Unfortunately although he may be well-liked overall I cannot envision the Republican party endorsing someone who isn't part of their establishment. The same holds true for John McCain.

#206048 - 04/06/05 10:09 AM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazza:

Shahram's bullshit in bold.

You know, during the last presidential campaign the Republican party was successful as brandishing anyone who considered themselves on the left as un-American, un-Christian, anti-family, pro-queer, blah-blah. Very negative, polarizing .. and just plain ugly.

That's why Karl Rove makes the big money. It worked. Poison tongue smack talkin' sells, almost as well as sex does. Ain't you heard, man? America's UNDER ATTACK!!! It's time to stop the faggoty liberal freedom haters before they send us into a den of sodomy and sound Gabriel's mighty horn!!!

The Democrats refrained from labeling right wingers as bible-toting, homophobic, xenophonic, NRA-loving, militaristic Nazis...

They didn't need to. The right wing element in this country (sometimes mistakenly called "conservatives" that could be more accurately described as "Police State Liberals") actually ARE a bunch of sick fucking wannabe fascists.

or at least delegated the name calling duties to Michael Moore and Howard Dean.

I disagree, at least about Dean. Dean had a classy run, and was the ONLY Dem candidate that offered a true opposition to the current regime.

It's not surprising that more than a third of registered voters didn't go to the polls in the 2004 election; why vote for people who spend millions spouting out hateful rubbish?

Or, more importantly, why bother voting, when neither viable candidate is acceptable, and there is no "No Confidence" vote. I still vote, but I know my vote is meaningless, because I refuse to vote for either of the two major parties.

Let's just hope in 2008 there is more constructive dialogue.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAGH!!! Constructive dialogue!!! HA!!! Eh, smoke another one bro!!!

Should Hilary run I don't want to hear about the Monica Lewinsky shit, much like I didn't want to hear about Swift Boat ads or Dubya's elusive "military record".

What is it 2001Frontier keeps telling people? Oh yeah, move to another country if you don't like how this one is run. Shit, you'd get more honest elections in Zimbabwe or El Salvador then you will here at home in '08.

Likewise polarizing issues such as gay marriage and abortion actually directly impact a minority of people (5% of folks are gay, most women do not get abortions, and I assume very few gay women get abortions eek ) ... and they lead to very ugly campaigning.

Horrible, ugly, successful campaigning, that brings out the hordes of recently bipedal Neanderthals, who normally don't vote because the true issues are WAY the fuck beyond their scope, to throw their salvo at the faggoty Volvo crowd, who normally don't vote because the true issues are WAY beyond their scope, and vice versa.

Economic, education, welfare and foreign policy matters are boring BUT these should be the headline issues.

Of course they should, but what do you want from the candidates, a ten-point plan highlighting how they're going to fuck you up the ass, steal your shit and give it to their friends? Why not talk about gay marriage instead?

Hilary Clinton, with her hubby in the background, is capable of understanding and working economic, education, welfare and foreign policy matters.

Good point. Billy boy was the best Republican president we ever had.

I don't give a poop about her views on abortion and gay rights because ultimately the courts will drive these matters in on direction or another .. and these issues don't impact my life.

Nice. You're half-way there, my friend...

I suppose then my only wish wrt these issues is that whomever gets into office he/she selects "balanced" individuals to lead the higher courts.
So let's wait to see how Hilary handles the important issues. Yes, she is certainly one "un-huggable" individual.

Her nomination would be political suicide for the Democrats in '08 for that very reason. She's a smart lady, and has run a successful political machine, but she is unlikable, and for good reason. She lacks that genuine quality that guys like Dean and McCain have, that vehement sincerity, that quality that keeps them out of the White House. I also feel the same way about GW, I think he's a fucking fraud, but his cutesy cowboy act seems to have won over a lot of people, some in present company.

As a former New Yorker I was *very* unhappy when she waltzed in from Arkansas to become senator of my home state. But much to my chagrine she seems to be doing a capable job.

Stepping off my soapbox...

_Lazza

PS - other folks have posted suggesting Rudy Guilliani would make a good presidential candidate. Unfortunately although he may be well-liked overall I cannot envision the Republican party endorsing someone who isn't part of their establishment. The same holds true for John McCain.

Giuliani's still in the running for future positions, but you're right, he's not part of this particular crowd. He kisses enough of their asses in my opinion, but he hasn't put in his dues with them. The problem with Giuliani is he's apparently got mad skeletons in his closet. John McCain is the most unelectable motherfucker out there. He's too much of a cowboy, and the last thing either party needs is some Golden Boy messing things up because he wants to do the "right thing."

#206049 - 04/06/05 11:02 AM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Shahram for your ..crisp.. thoughts. wink

I basically agree with your ranting but I try not to be so cynical (or should I say, realistic?). Yet if Hilary doesn't run in 2008 who else could win it for the Dems? Hilary is very polarizing but she might win a majority of the women Republican voters .. just because getting a woman in the White House is more important than the policies she represents. I cannot believe has-been John Edwards has a chance (and the man's only qualification is having a pretty smile), and the current collection of senators out there from either party are generally pretty awful.

One guy in the senate who *seems* decent is Chuck Hagel, a Republican. But after the 2000 election I cannot seeing myself voting Republican regardless of the candidate's credibility. I'm not proud of this, ..kinda sucks really.., but at least there are probably millions of other Americans with the same attitude.

_Lazza

#206050 - 04/06/05 11:19 AM Re: President Clinton
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Yet if Hilary doesn't run in 2008 who else could win it for the Dems?
Evan Bayh

#206051 - 04/06/05 04:19 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yet if Hilary doesn't run in 2008 who else could win it for the Dems? Hilary is very polarizing but she might win a majority of the women Republican voters .. just because getting a woman in the White House is more important than the policies she represents.
Contrary to your popular belief, Republican women wouldn't vote for Hilary, just because she's a woman. You're forgetting something very, very important... Women who are Republicans don't give a shit about "women's lib"... Hell, even my mom, a former hippie, who spent most of the late 60s, 70s, and 80s going to boycotts, stand-ins, sit-ins, bra-burners, etc., wouldn't vote for Hilary. And she even voted for freaking Dukakis!

#206052 - 04/06/05 04:48 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yet if Hilary doesn't run in 2008 who else could win it for the Dems?
There are plenty of Democrat governors that can run. Haven't most of the recent presidents ran as governors?

#206053 - 04/06/05 04:56 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Yet if Hilary doesn't run in 2008 who else could win it for the Dems? Hilary is very polarizing but she might win a majority of the women Republican voters .. just because getting a woman in the White House is more important than the policies she represents.
Contrary to your popular belief, Republican women wouldn't vote for Hilary, just because she's a woman. You're forgetting something very, very important... Women who are Republicans don't give a shit about "women's lib"... Hell, even my mom, a former hippie, who spent most of the late 60s, 70s, and 80s going to boycotts, stand-ins, sit-ins, bra-burners, etc., wouldn't vote for Hilary. And she even voted for freaking Dukakis!
I think a fairly small number of people would vote for her solely because she's a woman, and a fairly small number of people would vote against her because she's a woman (dudes like Stone, apparently) - but it would pretty much cancel out. I still think that if she were to run against a polarlizing hard-right Republican, she would win. But if she ran against a moderate Republican, she would lose.

All of this presupposes that there's no other major terrorist attack on American soil - if that happens during Bush's second term, the Republicans are up shit creek.

Personally, I could see myself voting for either party next time around depending on who they put forth - I'm not a "gimmie" vote.

#206054 - 04/06/05 05:22 PM Re: President Clinton
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
I just wish we had instant run-off elections.

Vote for your top two choices. Would inject some true diversity instead of this "two party" system we have now - where both parties, when you get down to it, really are the same: look out for me and my buddies best interests and damn everyone else frown

#206055 - 04/06/05 05:52 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps a cummulative voting system? For the primaries, make it a free-for-all where everybody gets 2 or 3 votes - you can throw them all behind one person or split them out to hedge. Then for the general election pick the top 3 from the primaries and have another vote (again with cummulative voting).

This way, the more liberal Republicans and more conservative Democrats could actually have a chance of winning, which more of America would prefer to having two fairly extreme candidates to choose from.

#206056 - 04/06/05 06:16 PM Re: President Clinton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
I just wish we had instant run-off elections.

Vote for your top two choices. Would inject some true diversity instead of this "two party" system we have now - where both parties, when you get down to it, really are the same: look out for me and my buddies best interests and damn everyone else frown
Bad idea. If you only want to vote for one candidate, this would force you to vote for one you hate, or have no vote at all if you don't pick a 2nd choice. If you could pick a candidate as your 1st & 2nd choise, it may work, but that would defeat the whole thing. Having a run off election in case a seat is required to have 50% of the votes would be fairer by pitting the top 2 vote getters against each other.

And how would this fix anything when the guy with the most votes wins even if it is less than 50%.

We are not fixed to a 2 party systrem. If a 3rd party started and made sure their canidiate was on all the ballots, had good advertising and could get at least 10% in the polls, they could win an election. Most 3rd parties are one issue parties. The last election we had Green, Communist, Liberarian, Prohibition and a few others I can't remember.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal