2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207287 - 14/11/03 01:31 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
So Carlton are you going to be at the Midwest GOX next May? I'm sure we can find plenty of logs in Northern Wisconsin for you! laugh

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#207288 - 14/11/03 01:39 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by EAP:
So Carlton are you going to be at the Midwest GOX next May? I'm sure we can find plenty of logs in Northern Wisconsin for you! laugh
It should be close enough!!

#207289 - 14/11/03 02:37 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hartwig:

I always love when people get their arguement thrown out of the water and look like complete asses always come back with " I was just playing devil's advocate, or I am just bringing up another point".

No you were not. You were trying to be a dick or trying to be funny neither of which worked. It is a bit late to try and open your mouth and insert your foot. [Finger]
You can believe what you want sparky, it's a free country. Maybe if you spent more time in the ALR, you'd see that I excel at "Devil's Advocate". By the way, how was I acting like an ass? I suppose none of my possible scenario's couldn't have happened in this case?

:rolleyes:

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207290 - 14/11/03 02:40 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was driving down a 2 lane road the other day and when I got home I noticed that my backend had opened on it's own and now I can't find the log that I wanted to put in my fireplace! Has anyone seen it? *bump* [Uh Oh !]

Great thread -- beats the heck out of reading the newspaper tonight!

#207291 - 14/11/03 02:47 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Yeah, this has been a good read. Can't say I feel sorry for the driver of the Bimmer. If you're going to follow that close, you can expect to find unexpected surprises coming your way (whether underneath the lifted X in front of you, or suddenly stopping traffic).

Of course, I'm still a little leary of the whole story. Carlton, you didn't install that trap door under your rear seat yet, did you? Just wondering if you were on the way home from picking up some firewood and.....

laugh

#207292 - 14/11/03 03:09 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Happy Birthday hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
Way to go Carlton. Serves the guy right. Too bad you didn't turn around and take a pic. laugh If he were following at a safe distance, he could have avoided F@$king up his ride.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#207293 - 14/11/03 06:27 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Of all the moronic things to argue about....

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
You could have stopped completly, and let him pass. How many people a day actually ride your bumper?
Do you read what you post before you post it?

Now you want him to STOP on a narrow two lane road with no shoulder to let some asshole who is tailgating to pass?!?!?!

What coior is the sky in your world exactly?

Quote:
No, that was a lame excuse for your sophmoric actions. What if this guy swung left to miss that log, then went head-on into the on-coming traffic?
So Carlton was supposed to swerve in traffic to give the idiot tailgating him ample warning???

What kind of logic is it you are using? You might want to ask for a refund....

Quote:
Besides, if I had to drive a member of my family to the hospital in a hurry, I wouldn't be worring about the speed limit, or a courtesy flash.
Then you would be another idiot jerk endangering the public for your own selfish reasons.

And to hell with all the hypothetical bullshit, Carlton did exactly what any normal one of us would have loved to have done. Bottom line, if the guy wouldn't haven't run into the log if he would have been driving responsibly - period. The BMW driver caused his outcome.

What is so hard about people taking responsibility for their own actions or inactions? Do we really need to put "WARNING: Coffe is extremly hot on the outside of coffe cups? How is natural selection supposed to work? Aren't we subverting nature with all of this coddling and sheltering of stupid people from themselves?

#207294 - 14/11/03 06:34 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
DocNo Offline

Quote:
And to think I didn't even have to hide in the "Supporting Members" section to do it.
Ahh, if you only knew what we really talk about in there...

#207295 - 14/11/03 06:43 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
And this brings to mind a saying I once heard.. "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"
Yup - my other favorite is "If we see you smoking, we will presume you are on fire and take appropriate acction"

Great story, Carlton. I was going to say ignore the "what if" idiots, but I think that would be redundant at this point.

#207296 - 14/11/03 07:25 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
I'm with Brad on this one "Sounds to me like the guy in the BMW did a relatively effective job of both stopping and removing the debris from the road...." [LOL]
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#207297 - 14/11/03 07:40 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Quote:
You can believe what you want sparky, it's a free country.
I know isn't that the beauty in the whole thing. Your a moron and in this free country I can call you that.
Quote:
Maybe if you spent more time in the ALR, you'd see that I excel at "Devil's Advocate".
Exactly the reason I do not spend much time in their other than to read your pathetic attempts to stir the pot in their only trying to illicit responses from others not smart enough to see through you.
Quote:
By the way, how was I acting like an ass? I suppose none of my possible scenario's couldn't have happened in this case?
I never said you were an ass just a jerk, but let me restate you were just being yourself. Be it an ass or a jerk or whatever I do not know as I have never met you. Maybe some of your scenario's could have been possible but you seemed to shun all of Carlton's without as much as a second glance. Maybe one of Carlton's scenario's was the true event. Or maybe like the original story goes the guy was just an ass tailgating and hence got what he deserved.

Carlton should not have to risk his own safety to ensure the safety of another idiot driver. He has clearly stated it was dangerous for him to do anything other than to continue upon his original route, driving the speed limit, and maintaining the proper distance with the vehicle in front of him. Really then end of the story.

No need to respond I am through with you now.

#207298 - 14/11/03 08:48 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
bn300 Offline

Loc: Buffalo, MN
Yeah, what Ken said. I was under the impression that you actually 'jumped' the log. I summize that you actually straddled it and the BMW hit it head on.
Good work. Serves the loser right.
Hey! Can I get in on this Midwest GOX thing? I do bring a certain degree of credentials to the party.
[Freak]
(0)IIIIIII(0)

#207299 - 14/11/03 09:06 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
Carlton,
How did you keep driving without laughing your ass off? I get tailgated all the time.

Quote:
Originally posted by bn300:
Yeah, what Ken said. I was under the impression that you actually 'jumped' the log. I summize that you actually straddled it and the BMW hit it head on.
Good work. Serves the loser right.
Hey! Can I get in on this Midwest GOX thing? I do bring a certain degree of credentials to the party.
[Freak]
(0)IIIIIII(0)
BN300
Yes, everyone is invited. Look in Midwest Fourm and you can bring your credentials!!
Dan

#207300 - 14/11/03 09:48 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Thought I'd add my story which I mentioned in an AZXC thread from yesterday or day before. Almost the same, but without the log. Heh heh - you said "log". [LOL]

Quote:

johnnyx wrote:
It's dumping pretty hard at my place right now too. Some nice giant puddles on the road too. Went to get some diapers a few min ago and this guy was tailgating me on a 30mph road. I don't think he saw the massive puddle coming up so I didn't slow down and he backed off after I blew through it and sent him some complimentary H2O. laugh [LOL] [Wave]
Lastly, logman got what he deserved. [Wave]

#207301 - 14/11/03 10:05 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Carlton! We have plenty of limbs on the road for tailgators!

BTW everyone, I loved the new logo so much that I've posted it above my classroom door...

---I brake for tailgators!

#207302 - 14/11/03 11:03 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
And just remember people when he claims it on his insurance it will be covered under the title Act of God.

#207303 - 15/11/03 06:54 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hartwig:

Exactly the reason I do not spend much time in their other than to read your pathetic attempts to stir the pot in their only trying to illicit responses from others not smart enough to see through you.
Sounds like you and DocNo fell for it hook, line, and sinker. In fact DocNo get's so fired up over this he infers that people like me can't accept responsibility, and that others are talking about me in the "Supporting Members" section. I care because...?

All I can say is this scenario could have ended must worse than it did, and you people know it. The driver's response could have been a lot different, someone could have got hurt, there even could have been kids in that BMW. To me exhorting revenge on a tailgater by slamming on the brakes or letting them drive over a log in the road is just not worth it. Do you really think this driver learned a lesson in all this? I don't think so.

Could have that BMW driver just been a jerk, sure he could have, but when I encounter people like this, I just let them pass. I highly doubt a road with a 40 mph speed limit is so thin a driver can't pull over at least enough to let someone pass safely. That's my read on this story, if others think it's moronic, or it pisses people off, so be it.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207304 - 15/11/03 07:11 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Carlton, I can see no downside at all to your actions.

1) The claim that he might have had a legitimate reason to tailgate because he was in an emergency:

First, only an idiot would race down the road in an emergency without turning on his emergency flashers.

Second, It takes LONGER to pass from a tailgating position than from following at the proper distance; when tailgating, you cannot accelerate until you are fully in the other lane. If following at a proper distance, you can start accelerating before moving out into the other lane, and therefore spend less time there.

2) The guy just doesn't know how to drive properly, and did not understand the hazard he was placing himself in.

You have now explained it to him in a manner he is not too likely to forget.

3) The claim that you should have taken some action to ensure the safety of someone that was driving dangerously.

You did. You stopped him an a manner that did not hurt him, and removed him from the road before he hurt himself and possibly lots of other people as well.

4) The claim that you have caused all of our insurance rates to go up.

For a tailgater, high-centering out on a log is just about the least damaging accident he could have had. If the log had been a 24" instead of 8", and the other lane had traffic - what shape would he be in after the little BMW slid under the rear of your hard braking X?

Shoot, Carlton - you are a HERO! You probably saved this jerk's life.

How often can anyone perform such a heroic act, and have so much fun doing it??

Terry

#207305 - 15/11/03 08:05 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:

[b]First.. there was no place for me to go even IF that was where he was going (and if he was he was going the wrong way..) And why should I endanger myself by going off a paved road into a wet soft shoulder (with a steep incline) for some inconsiderate driver that likes to ride on peoples asses? I bet money that he drives like that all the time. At least did. [Crybaby]
You could have stopped completly, and let him pass. How many people a day actually ride your bumper?

Quote:
Second that is a lame excuse anyway. With him not being in an emergency vehicle he has to operate under the same traffic laws that we all do. He was not flashing his lights or making any other attempt to let me know he NEEDED to pass so I think it is safe to say that he was just like so many dicks out there.
No, that was a lame excuse for your sophmoric actions. What if this guy swung left to miss that log, then went head-on into the on-coming traffic? Would that have made you feel good? Besides, if I had to drive a member of my family to the hospital in a hurry, I wouldn't be worring about the speed limit, or a courtesy flash.[/b]
You cant really be THAT stupid can you?!

#207306 - 15/11/03 08:06 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:

[b]"Oh, oh, but he could have pulled off to the side of the road!"

Fuck off. If the guy in the BMW had stones, he could have waited until the road was clear, and passed Carlton. Last I looked, Beamers are speedy little machines, with excellent passing capabilities--especially compared to Xterras.
But he didn't. He was just trying to be a jerk.
Did you skip your anger managment class last week? I know why you wouldn't have pulled over for this guy, you would have got stuck.

[Finger] [/b]
Yeah, I guess you are...... [Finger]

#207307 - 15/11/03 09:26 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
DocNo Offline

Quote:
In fact DocNo get's so fired up over this he infers that people like me can't accept responsibility
You past history doesn't leave much room for inferance...

Quote:
and that others are talking about me in the "Supporting Members" section.
Talk about falling for it...

Quote:
All I can say is this scenario could have ended must worse than it did, and you people know it.
Yup, the idiot could have rear ended a minivan full of kids later on down the road pushing them into an oncoming semi-truck, causing a chain of events that eventually wiped out the entire midwest

:rolleyes:

You can what-if and twist things around all you want, but it still doesn't change the FACTS:

(1) idiot following to closely

(2) obsticle in the road that vehicle in front easily clears is not avoided by idiot following to close becuase (drumroll) he's following too close

That's it! If the driver in the BMW would have been concerned about any of the bogus scenario's you have been trying to use to justify your warped stance, then he/she should have used common sense and backed off - this wouldn't have happened.

That's all there is to this. That's why everyone is getting pissed at you - it's pretty simple, really - the fact that you can't see things for what they are is what frustrates people that do have common sense.

Me, I just had way to much time on my hands last night, and obviously this morning too. Enough of this, time to get some chores done...

#207308 - 15/11/03 09:42 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

You idiots think this is funnie? for yuor information i think i was in the bmw in question mad . nobody laughing now huh? my friend sent me the link to this gay board. we were on the way across memphis wenesday following a jacked up goofy looking whit X-terra that was gowing waay slow so we pull up a little closer. this idiot got even slower. next thing wee knew we hit something in the rode. well thanks to this spazztic, jim's beemer is gettin a new spoiler and radeator suport and you people think its funny thet this happned?? how would you like it if it hapened to your x-terrra's ?? i doubt you'd dig it much so how about quitting laughing about it huh? mad [Save the fine unicorns] what a bunch of goobers. mad
i'm beginning to think we should hav called the law. mr. carlton wouldn't think it wus soo funny if the police showd up chargin him wit leeving the sene of an acident would he?? he'd be crying in jail geting it in the backside. [Rainbow]
now sit down and be quite

#207309 - 15/11/03 09:49 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
J9'sXterra Offline

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Maybe people should take a spelling test before being allowed to drive BMW's.

#207310 - 15/11/03 10:00 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by classy man:
You idiots think this is funnie? for yuor information i think i was in the bmw in question mad . nobody laughing now huh?
Sure we are.. we're laughing even harder now! [Laughing] [LOL] laugh [Wave]

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#207311 - 15/11/03 10:01 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by classy man:
You idiots think this is funnie? for yuor information i think i was in the bmw in question mad . nobody laughing now huh? my friend sent me the link to this gay board. we were on the way across memphis wenesday following a jacked up goofy looking whit X-terra that was gowing waay slow so we pull up a little closer. this idiot got even slower. next thing wee knew we hit something in the rode. well thanks to this spazztic, jim's beemer is gettin a new spoiler and radeator suport and you people think its funny thet this happned?? how would you like it if it hapened to your x-terrra's ?? i doubt you'd dig it much so how about quitting laughing about it huh? mad [Save the fine unicorns] what a bunch of goobers. mad
i'm beginning to think we should hav called the law. mr. carlton wouldn't think it wus soo funny if the police showd up chargin him wit leeving the sene of an acident would he?? he'd be crying in jail geting it in the backside. [Rainbow]
now sit down and be quite
You thinke just bekaws ya kin't speel riht, we all goine ta baleive yur frum tennsee?
(all apologies to those in Tennessee who completed grade school & can spell)
If you are who you say, please admit you & your buddy are idiots & have at least learned a valuable lesson about tailgating...and then please move along.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal