Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#21614 - 23/09/07 10:00 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

DocNo, we'll agree to disagree. My previous DD was a '96 Sunfire - a little 4-cylinder with a manual trans. I hated it in stop and go traffic.

#21615 - 23/09/07 10:08 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love driving manual and I have never had any problems or complaints about it until I took my X off road. The first trip was pretty bad... The second was a bit better and overall things started to improved. However, trying to go over boulders is still something that I struggle with.

Had I had to do things again, I would have gotten an auto only for one reason: My significant other. The X is the spare car and when our primary one breaks down, my girlfriend cannot take the X since she does not know how to drive a stick shift. We end up spending $ on rentals and that is no good... So far we spend around $1.5K on rentals this year (it is a long story) and the amount spent on the auto tranny would have justified itself.

#21616 - 24/09/07 04:34 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Stick. Stick. Stick. Stick. Stick. Stick.

Stick. Stick.

Ok, now I'm finished.

#21617 - 24/09/07 06:36 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

funny how most of the people who swear by the stick don't live in areas with traffic.

Me personally I've never driven anything extensively with a stick. So Im going to have to stick with the auto.

#21618 - 24/09/07 07:34 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Auto is for lazy ass fat people who want to be like Americans over there.
Nice way to talk about us while living in our country. [Finger]

#21619 - 24/09/07 08:43 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisf4i:
Quote:
[b]Auto is for lazy ass fat people who want to be like Americans over there.
Nice way to talk about us while living in our country. [Finger] [/b]
I am lazy and fat tho - I fit right in. I'm talkin about Skinny British folk who are wannabe yanks, rather than those who come and take over the place like myself.

#21620 - 25/09/07 03:51 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I prefer auto for off-road use and manual for highway use.
However, if I had to contend with daily stop-n-go traffic, I would get an auto with a "sport-shift/manu-matic" mode.

#21621 - 25/09/07 04:31 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stick for On-Road
Stick for Traffic
Stick for open highway
Stick for City Streets
Stick for Towning
Stick for Sand
Stick for Mud
Stick for Dirt
Stick for Snow
Stick for Desert
Stick for Mountains
Stick for Beaches
Stick for Off-Road
Stick for Crawling

Auto for ... I guess not.

#21622 - 26/09/07 09:59 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I prefer driving a stick vs auto. Besides.....it just seems wrong to have a automatic 4x4 [Freak]

#21623 - 26/09/07 10:34 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My X is a stick and I live in Cali, i've never really minded stick in traffic, just leave it in first. The way this thing is geared you can drive at a walking speed without stalling. I spend more time in traffic than i do off road, but when i do go off road, I'm always so happy i have a stick.

#21624 - 26/09/07 10:47 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My X is auto, and I sure do enjoy rock crawling with that alot more than I do my Jeep that is manual. Of course I don't have the Crawler gears yet... and when I get those, i'm going hand throttle laugh But without those... my knee is killing me at the end of the day.

#21625 - 26/09/07 01:43 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Loved my '02 stick. Hate my 05 stick. Clutch way underengineered.

#21626 - 26/09/07 11:38 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
It's a bit of a pain in the ass to smoke a cigarette and drink a beer at the same time while driving stick.

eek

#21627 - 27/09/07 03:37 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
I prefer an auto.

Just how I am.

I have owned sticks before but like an auto better.

#21628 - 27/09/07 04:30 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
NuDan Offline

Loc: Not Here
Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
It's a bit of a pain in the ass to smoke a cigarette and drink a beer at the same time while driving stick.

eek
Pfffft...rookie

#21629 - 27/09/07 06:52 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So this thread seems to say:

Auto - If you are a careless driver who would rather multi-task than pay attention to the road.

Manual - If you have driving ability and care about other drivers on the road.

#21630 - 27/09/07 07:10 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:

All I know is a supercharged Xterra with a 5 speed is sure fun to drive! [Smoking]
x2. I first test drove the supercharged with an automatic -- nice and performed decent. But then when I test drove the supercharged with the 5 speed, I knew this was way more fun and better performing. No regrets getting the 5 speed.

k_enn

#21631 - 28/09/07 10:21 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just test drove the stick , and to tell you the truth , I found it very jerky and notchy , I actually prefer the auto now and the I like the way the supercharger kicks in on the auto

#21632 - 28/09/07 10:26 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG1:
Just test drove the stick , and to tell you the truth , I found it very jerky and notchy , I actually prefer the auto now and the I like the way the supercharger kicks in on the auto
OE

#21633 - 28/09/07 10:33 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an auto I would much prefer having a stick. However, it occasionally sees tow duty and we wouldn't be able to tow the boat with the stick.

Luckily I can drive stick in the 924. And its not that hard to do it with only one hand

#21634 - 28/09/07 08:04 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by k_enn:
I first test drove the supercharged with an automatic -- nice and performed decent. But then when I test drove the supercharged with the 5 speed, I knew this was way more fun and better performing. No regrets getting the 5 speed.
I was dead set on getting an automatic for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. Then I made the mistake of test driving a supercharged 5 speed smile

Was just driving it around tonight (had to go to Costco in Deleware - long story, don't ask) and I still thoroughly enjoy it (even if i did have to sit in stop and go traffic at a stupid toll plaza on I-95 for 20 minutes mad ).

#21635 - 28/09/07 08:05 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG1:
Just test drove the stick , and to tell you the truth , I found it very jerky and notchy
That goes away with practice wink

#21636 - 28/09/07 09:39 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Paul H Offline

Quote:
So this thread seems to say:

Auto - If you are a careless driver who would rather multi-task than pay attention to the road.

Manual - If you have driving ability and care about other drivers on the road.
Yeah that is what the thread says :rolleyes:

#21637 - 29/09/07 11:15 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the truth is that most folks simply don't know how to drive stick. This is most especially true with younger drivers (under forty). Don't drivers nowadays get some sort "automatics only"-type of wording on their driver's license unless they do a road test with a manual transmission vehicle?

I'm an old fart who learned to drive with a stick over twenty years ago but haven't, sadly, driven with one in over ten years. Chalk me up as one of those lazy, 'shiftless' Americans. [Wave]

_Lazza

#21638 - 30/09/07 03:38 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazza:
Don't drivers nowadays get some sort "automatics only"-type of wording on their driver's license unless they do a road test with a manual transmission vehicle?

no

It is not that I do not know how I just choose not to do it. I am not lazy or irresponsible I just like an auto. For most people it is that simple. Not the other way around.

Jeez like a mac vs pc debate.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal