Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#21639 - 30/09/07 10:07 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Auto.

I like electric starters vs. hand-crank too.

#21640 - 30/09/07 12:48 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
It comes down to ease of use vs control.

If you want it easy, obviously, its easier to drive an automatic....it shifts for you.

If you want control, well, maybe the automatic doesn't shift when YOU want it to, or have the ratio you want...so you need to take control and do it your self.

There are some advantages on or off road for both, like the torque converter taking up some drive train slack and the manual's clutch burning up if you need to go too slowly for your gearing, etc...

vs the ability to engine brake on down hills and to choose a gearing set more suited for a situation, etc.

Generally, the manual will out accelerate the auto, and have more control/finese....

and generally, the auto will simply mean one pedal to go, and one to stop...leaving your attention to other details more free...like that Big Mac, etc.

So there's no wrong answer - its just a question of priorities, convenience vs control....you pick what works for you.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#21641 - 30/09/07 02:17 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. B.A.Dass:
Automatics are good for women and being in traffic. If you aren't driving in traffic, you better be sitting down to pee. [LOL]
All told, I do like a stick shift better, more fun to drive as well as the control factor.
Hmpf... :rolleyes: What makes them any better for a woman than for a man? I have been driving manual transmission vehicles all my life. I wouldn't drive anything else. I think auto are more suited for a man.

#21642 - 02/10/07 08:47 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually I am about to pull my hair out. I have been searching for months for a F350/F450 Crewcab 7.3L 4x4 DRW <150,000mi with a 6 speed manual tranny. I haven't been able to find one [Crybaby] . Every single one I find is an auto. Its driving me batty. Well there have been like three 6 speeds, not one of them the combo I mentioned.

I can't imagine why there aren't any. [Freak] I am almost considering getting a *gulp* automatic just so I can have my truck.

Sorry for the whining.

/end ranting chick banter

#21643 - 03/10/07 08:11 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I bought my new Xterra a month ago the dealer was trying to clear the lot of '07s. I wanted a stick but all they had at the three dealers around here were slushboxes. I figure I was given a good deal but now I'm driving a slushbox.

#21644 - 03/10/07 09:21 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of the 6 vehicles I've owned, half were stick and half auto. My X is a stick, there have been a couple times I wished I had the auto. But in heavy traffic, clutching it helps build up that left leg muscle to counter balance the right forearm..ha smile

Another thing you have to think about is if you have a hobby where there is a chance that you can hurt yourself and not be able to push that clutch in...then ur screwed.

#21645 - 04/10/07 05:56 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
John Doe Offline

Loc: Chattanooga
I drive on cruise control alot. If I lived in a flat area a stick would be the way to go. Living in hilly south east Tennessee with a stick, cruise would be practically useless, so auto all the way for me.

#21646 - 04/10/07 12:00 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by azmk:
Another thing you have to think about is if you have a hobby where there is a chance that you can hurt yourself and not be able to push that clutch in...then ur screwed.
Forgive me for sounding youthful. But you don't need to use the clutch pedal to shift if you're really good and know how to drive with finess without grinding the gears... I know, I practice when the traffice is light. It's not that tough.

#21647 - 04/10/07 04:48 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool --My 'o6 X is a stick, all my previous 4wd's have been auto's, in snow, mud, rocks, hills, traffic-autos rule--

--I have a stick because I've been in the boondocks with a dead battery and Auto, thats why Ill take sticks !!

-- [Wave] --JIMBO

#21648 - 04/10/07 06:12 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't think that you could push start fuel injected vehicles. I thought that there had to be juice in the battery in order for the injectors to work. Please correct me if you have done it.

I think a stick is much better in the mountains than on flat land. I love the control that engine braking gives me when I'm going downhill.

#21649 - 04/10/07 06:48 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can catch my X in gear and start it up. But I don't think it would work without the battery being turned on. I dunno and I dont want to find out.

#21650 - 04/10/07 07:27 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool Well, you guys are ever so close, but with the ignition key on and in 2wd,2nd/3rd gear with a quick clutch pop, the alternater will zap enough for the ig/injectors and fuel pmp --I always carry a can of "GUNK" THRUST, for a shot at the air filter, if needed-

--Even if you're in a rocky area, you've got a drop off a rock to flip the engine a couple revs and with todays fuel injection you'll never have to worry about a flooded engine--

--Going alone is "of course" stupid, but sometimes we don't have a lot of choices--

-- [Wave] --JIMBO

#21651 - 09/10/07 05:05 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I Know This Topic Is ALL About Personal Preference, But I Prefer A Stick As Opposed To An Automatic. I Like The Control With Having A Stick, Though The Automatic Is Way Nicer In Traffic.

I Searched And Searched For My Perfect X And I Finally Found What I Wanted. Finding A SC SE Solar Yellow 4x4 5 Speed With Below Average Miles Was A Pain In The Rear, But Well Worth It. I Found A Grip Of Autos, But I Guess That Makes My X That Much More Special 'Cause I Put More Work Into Finding It Right. smile

I Just Posted In The Noobs Nook If You Want To Check It Out.

Have A Great Day!

#21652 - 15/10/07 09:20 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've owned both stick shifts and autos since the 80s. Both have their benefits at times.

However, the NEW transmission in the 2nd generation Xterra is nothing like the previous models. It's always in the right gear, VERY quick and smooth. Beefed up 350Z tranny.

With this much power, having a stick buys you very little in performance, or off-road ability. For CONTROLLED off-road power, it's hard to improve on an auto.

I use my Xterra for towing. Not many here tow close to the 5000 lb limit, as I do. Torque multiplication is a big deal, and it really makes taking off from a dead stop easy without wearing out a clutch. Ditto when backing a trailer into sandy campsite (trailer doesn't want to roll).

On an underpowered vehicle, a stick is a better choice usually. But the new Xterra has plenty of motor and the auto transmission is a piece of art.

Drive whatcha want, but unless you've driven the 2nd gen Xterra with an auto, you have no idea what you're missing. See ya on the boat ramps, and in heavy traffic. Been there, done that.

#21653 - 15/10/07 09:01 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Thread hijack but how do you like your rockwood trailer?

#21654 - 15/10/07 10:18 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Paul u going to buy a new X soon?
The Miles nissan dealership is calling for you!

#21655 - 19/10/07 01:04 PM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm torn, frankly.

I like the control, and lets face it, the fun of a manual, but the multitasking of an auto is something that comes in very handy.

And no, I don't just mean of the BigMac variety wink

Every try answering a radio call while hitting the lights/siren and talking on a cell phone, all while shifting in traffic?

Not exactly a cakewalk...

#21656 - 22/10/07 07:40 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Boondox:
Paul u going to buy a new X soon?
The Miles nissan dealership is calling for you!
If I were I would not deal with Miles ever. Crooks.

But nah proly going to stick with what I have for a bit longer.

#21657 - 26/10/07 09:26 AM Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Thread hijack but how do you like your rockwood trailer?
Excellent. Had it a year. My buddy bought his in 2004, and has traveled from FL to Canada -n- back, then from FL to Oregon -n- back. This year went to NC, next year heading for the central States. LOTS of miles, fulltiming in it most of the year. Still looks new. He was the inspiration for us buying one.

Our basic model was only $12K, far cheaper than a Fleetwood Niagara Popup. I selected all the options for an additional $4k, STILL cheaper than a Niagara ($18K locally). Just got back from Topsail Hill in the FL Panhandle. Spending new years at Fort Wilderness.

Highly recommend them, go kick the tires yourself.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal