2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#228957 - 15/11/06 12:49 AM AZ Rocks 1
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Pictures of a beautiful challenging as you make it trail up in the trees at elevation near Payson AZ. A red rock like creek bed crawl over some nice size boulders, ledges, and rocks that sometime crumble/split. This trail is starting to get popular and we followed by some paparazzi snapping photos left/right with the oh and awe's until the end. Seemed like they we amazed that we could climb the rocks so well or something.

TF&J in is monster SAS bobbed frontier with the 37’s pretty much took on all the obstacles on the harder line and basically spanked them until that last one a crazy vertical narrow ledge known as filter. For safety reasons you need to at least use a winch for holding power…you see nothing but sky on the two-step up where one slip or side slide could mean big trouble.

I went for almost all the same lines in the Black Hawk, managed some other ones as I flex my rig to the max at times and pushed my clearance as much as possible. I just couldn’t scale the biggest ledge on the tougher line but I still made the others and the easier line on that one. My rig just didn’t have the approach angle or big enough tires for that one and the SUA was a liability compared to T’s SOA. But I’ll be back next time with some bigger tires and better suspension to settle that score.

We where all impressed with Conundrum ’05 OR that is pretty close to stock + sliders. With some skills and traction aids minus clearance and better tires he crawled his way around the sections he went for. In one spot on a S turn between boulders on a small ledge the front drivers tire was getting air and the back passenger was too but he keep forward momentum going on two tires just kissing the front bumper but making it none the less.

#228958 - 15/11/06 06:43 AM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome pics Brian. I was impressed by your truck at Broken Arrow. I have never seen a SAS on the trail before. Nice, nice, nice.

The even better thing is this: My wife LOVED your truck. She thought it was "frickin' awesome". Maybe an SAS is in my future???

#228959 - 15/11/06 11:32 AM Re: AZ Rocks 1
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
SHHHWWWEEET!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#228960 - 15/11/06 01:10 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn it.... that looks like a blast!!!

Great pics!! [ThumbsUp]

#228961 - 15/11/06 01:17 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like I bailed just in time!
eek
Sorry I couldn't stick around as I still don't understand how a 2 yr old can sleep while rock crawling. [LOL]
Thanks for having a stocker along, it was a bit intimidating to follow two such well built rigs. [ThumbsUp]

#228962 - 15/11/06 01:25 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's an AZ Run VII trail.

As long as it's not buried in snow, that is.

#228963 - 15/11/06 02:43 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
OnlyOneDR Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
That's an AZ Run VII trail.

Umm, wow. Cool pics, looks like a blast. So let me get this straight, as long as I have my locker I should be able to do the easier lines? I am still semi-planning on making it for '07, even with the extra 1200 or so miles I have to drive to get there.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#228964 - 15/11/06 02:51 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
[b]That's an AZ Run VII trail.

Umm, wow. Cool pics, looks like a blast. So let me get this straight, as long as I have my locker I should be able to do the easier lines? I am still semi-planning on making it for '07, even with the extra 1200 or so miles I have to drive to get there.[/b]
Well they said the near-stock '05 OR made it with some good driving... you can always ride with me if you want to sit one of 'em out smile

#228965 - 15/11/06 07:18 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is the best pic of the bunch.

This is the spot that stops almost everyone else (from their trip back in August).

One of these days I will have a rig to tackle that......sigh..... [Too much XOC]

#228966 - 16/11/06 06:52 AM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Xtoolbox Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Well they said the near-stock '05 OR made it with some good driving... you can always ride with me if you want to sit one of 'em out smile
Well he did well for the couple of sections attempted, the 2nd one he needed the rear locker and front traction control. There is a dirt access road, bypasses and eaiser lines up until the last section but its real fun to complete the whole thing. You might need some bigger tires on the last section yourself, I just cleared it with my 34’s but maybe the body lift will help with bumper clearance.

Would have liked to see DBAX make that last ledge, the line is tricky but I think we had it just right laugh

#228967 - 16/11/06 07:44 AM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Wow... if T needed a winch then EVERYONE will eek

Brian - you running those 34x10.5 LTBs? I may not have the $$ for tires - but if I do that's what I'm leaning toward. I could fit 35's with my body lift - but they're pretty spendy and I kind of like the idea of the narrower tread (and therefore lighter tire).

#228968 - 16/11/06 07:50 AM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great pics/review of a succesful run up the draw [ThumbsUp]
I've been told that NO IFS rig has made it yet, and that everyone winches to get out. For the right driver though, the winchline is just a safety issue and the right gears, clearance, and having chrome-moly balls could get you up. I'll be back.. wink

#228969 - 16/11/06 08:14 AM Re: AZ Rocks 1
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Terrific looking trail! Great shots......DBAX, I am sure you'll climb that thing soon enough.

[ThumbsUp]

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#228970 - 16/11/06 06:03 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very nice! Who's Fronty is that?

#228971 - 16/11/06 07:06 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's awesome!

#228972 - 16/11/06 07:18 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's Terance, a SWANKy.

He needed no winch.

Spank you very much.

#228973 - 16/11/06 07:29 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

That makes 9 posts for you Stone.....just can't stay away forever...... laugh

#228974 - 17/11/06 12:55 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Xtoolbox Offline

Yeah got a smoking deal (110 per – $80 rebate from 4WP’s) on some 34x10.5 SS LTBs… tough as nails offroad. Being BIAS ply you have to air then down a bit more than radials + they will rattle your teeth out cold until they warm up on the highway but after that there fine. I wouldn’t run them on a DD because mine are almost worn out at 15k, that's been my only disappointment with them. My SS TSL SX’s lasted twice as long and I’m going to look into those again this time and maybe some Toyo MT’s also…I really would like to run at least 36’s or maybe 37’s if I can fit them with a body lift.

BTW I think stone has a alot more posts here but FOG IAN dogged him with some funky title or something I recall and he's using a different screen name now.

Anyway, some more pics:

#228975 - 17/11/06 03:20 PM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
He needed no winch.

Spank you very much.

Prolly right, maybe he just had it out to dry off some laundry.. :p

#228976 - 18/11/06 08:31 AM Re: AZ Rocks 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOW!