2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#22902 - 31/05/05 03:25 PM [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was taking a left at an intersection and a '95 Chevy Astrovan ran a red light from the left and hit me directly between the wheels on the driver's side. The primary damage was to the front and rear driver's side door. The X was spun 90-degrees to the left post impact.

The rear window was also shattered and gear from inside was ejected, I imagine this was from the centrifugal force. Something else that's weird is that the interior wall on the driver's side is closer to the driver's seat, such that the seat belt doesn't fit there anymore. Frame damage?

The truck pulls slightly to the right and the left rear quarter panel is creased though there wasn't any direct impact there.

What else should I look for? How easy is it to bend the frame and would this cause the vehicle to be totalled?

Damn, I love my X. I could wring that other driver's neck! (Don't worry, I have plenty of witnesses to the fact she ran a red light.)

#22903 - 31/05/05 03:55 PM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go see a doctor.

And then get that truck on a frame rack.

#22904 - 01/06/05 05:46 AM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Glad you're OK.

That sucks.

Yeah - go see a Dr....make sure you realy are OK....these things can sneak up on you the day after, etc...

You'll be getting an estimate on the repairs, it will include report on the frame's condition, etc.

Sounds totaled though...you have a 2000...~$7k of repairs, and you're done.

frown

The 2005's are nice.

laugh

Good Luck!

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#22905 - 01/06/05 06:03 AM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
frown frown frown

I HATE those older minivans. They are always trying to kill me (and, sadly, they can out-accelerate an Xterra).

Sorry, dude... sounds like you had some serious whole-vehicle flex to get a crease in a place where you weren't even hit. You could always look for another X, though frown

#22906 - 01/06/05 06:17 AM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

See a doctor, get your insurance report that it's totalled, and get a 2005 X (which will then be able to outrun those pesky vans).

Glad you're ok though, that's the most important thing.

#22907 - 01/06/05 09:23 AM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the input guys. I'm more than fine. The accident was Saturday, and I haven't even had a bruise since then. (However, I ride motorcycles and have had a couple get-offs, so maybe I'm inured to impact injuries, or just tough [Freak] )

I talked to the local Nissan dealership, and they sent me to a shop that does all their work. KBB rates the value from $7000 to $11,000, so I hope it won't be totalled.

The vehicle's paid off and is worth more to me as a repaired vehicle than a new X. (Not that I don't like the new Xs, but I don't like payments.)

#22908 - 01/06/05 10:31 AM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Might want some shrockworks sliders on there then to fend off future kamakazi attacks.

Mine have saved my bacon from several side impacts already, although none as harsh as the one you described...but the other vehicals were definetely crushed, and I was off scott free...and they were all at fault, so I was in win win territory.

laugh

They essentially spread the force of the impact across a much larger area, and brace the frame against tweaking....especially when I've got rail to rail skid plates further bracing everything up tight.

If your X survives, its food for thought.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#22909 - 01/06/05 02:58 PM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOW!!!! I hate mini vans in general. They are nothing but death traps. Any way you can get us some pictures?

Glad to hear you are ok though. Sorry to hear the X is not.

#22910 - 01/06/05 03:03 PM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
From the damage you explained - It IS totaled.

Sorry! wink

#22911 - 01/06/05 06:26 PM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by VIRUS:
WOW!!!! I hate mini vans in general. They are nothing but death traps. Any way you can get us some pictures?

Glad to hear you are ok though. Sorry to hear the X is not.
I recently lost my digicam and had to resort to a disposable camera. Wow, ancient technology.

#22912 - 01/06/05 06:27 PM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Paco Pico:
From the damage you explained - It IS totaled.

Sorry! wink
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

#22913 - 03/06/05 05:58 PM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

~$6000 worth of damage on just the surface before even taking panels off to see internal or frame damage.

frown

#22914 - 03/06/05 09:25 PM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Tough luck brother!

Now go buy a 05' Off Road 6-Speed, and spill your forty the homies.

#22915 - 03/06/05 09:38 PM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Quote:
Originally posted by HellFyre:
I recently lost my digicam and had to resort to a disposable camera. Wow, ancient technology.
Get the camera developed at WalMart and spring for the CD with the pictures. It's like $2 to $3 extra. I did the same when my daughter totalled my 2000. Didn't have time to go home and grab the digi, but my wife happened to have a disposable with a few pics left in her purse.

Sorry to hear about the truck. Sucks having to get back into payments (possibly). Not sure about CA, but here in Alabama, the insurance companies are required to use NADA retail as the value, not KBB. NADA is always higher.

My 2000 (six months ago) came up at around $10k on KBB, but $12.5k on NADA. Insurance cut me a check for $12.6k, after the $500 deductible. I lucked out and found my 2002 4x4 on a lot for $12.8k.

Edited to add: Be sure to grab any mods of value if they total it, before they tow it off. My insurance let me replace my almost new BFG AT/KO's with a set of used trade-in tires from my tire dealer before they hauled mine off. (I also scored the First Aid kit, step rails and roof basket).

#22916 - 04/06/05 12:16 AM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Damn it, next time a redlight running Astro is about to hit you, hit that thing head on. Its one star offset crash rating will ensure quick and painfull death of the other driver...

#22917 - 04/06/05 04:28 PM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

glad to hear your not seriously hurt..

#22918 - 05/06/05 06:46 AM Re: [rant] Damnit! Got t-boned by a red-light runner [/rant]
Anonymous
Unregistered

As long as you ain't hurt, the truck can be replaced or repaired ... I got rearended a couple months ago by some kid doing about 65 kph and I was stopped .... everything and more got fixed for me no questions .... I never had any kind of neck pain or injuries either, but I still went and got s Dr. to just poke at it and say OK, covers you ass for the future ... good luck with it all

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal