2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#234159 - 16/09/03 09:31 AM Rubicon tested….
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Took the group ~ 2 ½ days to complete the ~ 15miles of this world famous trail from Loon Lake to Lake Tahoe. The first day was the most demanding leg from Loon to Buck Island Lake as we spent ~ 8 hrs on the trail of which we wheeled about 5hrs worth until we reached Buck Island Lake and setup camp before dark. The second day we reached Rubicon springs ~ 1pm and setup camp before playing around in the heckle hill area for another couple hours before a refreshing dip in the springs. The Big Sluice was one of the highlights of day #2 and one of my favorites of the trail. On the third day we wheeled for ~ 3 hrs to reach the Wentworth staging area, the highlights of this day where Cadillac hills and the beautiful observation point on top IMO.

We all had a great time thanks to our gracious host CALMINI on their annual customer appreciation run

The trail & scenery really lived up to all the expectations, basically a 12+mile rock pile with one challenges after another; up, down, around hills, creeks, between trees, boulder squeezes, and off ledges with some granite slabs to navigate Moab style minus the slick rock. Really tight in most places and better suited for the smaller wheel base vehicles with tighter turning radius IMO, how wider bodies like hummers make it through without more body damage is a mystery to me considering the current conditions. Compared to last year the conditions were rougher this time because of some recently boulder movement, heavy usage, and water streaming down Cadillac hill for example according to those in our group.

You really have to push the limits of a modified Xterra to make it and be very precise at all times to avoid getting hung or damaged. We were constantly using the rock sliders to pivot, push, support around the obstacles. A couple of times the IFS trucks got hung or used a strap/winch to get out of jams/avoid damage but overall did really great IMO. I heard mostly positive comments/praise from fellow wheeler; everybody seemed to dig the SAS Hardbody and were surprised that the Xterra looked so unscathed after each day. LAX did a great job of driving the 'Con in his X. The Hardbody was awesome climbing all the rocks and really shined/showed what a well built SAS Nissan is capable of. The handful of zuks in the group where cool although a couple of them broke stuff. Other than that everybody else we came across was driving built rigs to one degree or the other was some tube bugs thrown into the mix.

None of three Nissans; SAS Hardbody, Frontier, or Xterra broke any parts or looked different in the end. The frontier banged the undercarriage the most partly because of the 31's while the taller and tipper Xterra really had to be very careful around the doors and rear quarter panel between all the rock squeezes, trees, roots, etc. The Frontier blew a front tire after the granite bowl, and only really misfortune for the whole journey for the Nissan's was on the highway on the way when the auto tranny on my 90' SAS Pathy all of sudden stopped working @ ~ 125k+ without any warning near Coalinga and had to be towed.

Overall a total blast and maybe by favorite trip all year even though I only drove one day on the trail, the experience was priceless and I'm looking forward to returning and making at least an annual trip. All participates where really cool and I enjoyed their company, sprits, jokes a bunch, thanks to everyone for the great time :-) and especially CALMINI for all the support, encouragement, etc.

For those that want to try the "Con my best advice would be; plan, prep, test, re-check, use team work/go with a small group that's has an experienced trail boss. For a xterra at a minimum I would recommend rock sliders, 33” tires, full underbelly skids + a rear diff one, front & rear traction devices (such as lockers or modified LSD's like I run), a passenger or spotter for each 1st time driver, and as much recent rock crawling experience as you can. 5 speed drivers really should have the CALMINI 3:92 low crawler gears and it's a wise move even for the auto tranny since you will have much better low speed control. We all worked our front steel bumpers at different times but I guess you could get away with a stock bumper although chances are it would get some damage. Taking spare axle shafts, u-joints, rear drive shaft, spare steering components along with the rest of standard stuff is something we did and a good practice for this type of trail IMO.

Enjoy these small sample pixs from day #1; we have 4+ hrs of video & thinking about making a DVD with the edited footage along with all the full size pictures if people are interested? let me know

#234160 - 16/09/03 09:36 AM Re: Rubicon tested….
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Very Nice..

And I was still basking in the glory of being the first up Hells Gate in an X and you go off and do the Rubicon..

[Finger]

Good job guys!

#234161 - 16/09/03 09:45 AM Re: Rubicon tested….
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Very nice. laugh

Was any winch ever used/needed?

#234162 - 16/09/03 09:50 AM Re: Rubicon tested….
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Sweet....
So, does that X have crawler gears or no? The Fronty?
Nice to see a couple of X's making the trail in the passed couple of weeks:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000137;p=1
It's amazing to me neither had CV problems....

#234163 - 16/09/03 03:52 PM Re: Rubicon tested….
Xtoolbox Offline

CM,

Well you know what they say about your 15 minutes of fame wink that's LAX's solar yellow so he deserves the spot line & XOTW IMO.

XSAL,

Yeah a winch is sure nice to have on trails like these, I recall Jim in the Frontier using his a couple of times as well as a one or more of the zuks.

XB,

Yeah all three of the Nissans run the 3:92 crawler gears along with the CALMINI SS on the IFS trucks that help a bunch. LAX also runs the warn hub fuses up front that break in most cases before the CV does. We did carry a spare axle shaft but I would be more concerned with breakage if somebody ran open or with a locker upfront on this kind of stuff.

#234164 - 16/09/03 04:48 PM Re: Rubicon tested….
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by xterrabull:
Sweet....
So, does that X have crawler gears or no?
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#234165 - 16/09/03 07:28 PM Re: Rubicon tested….
CALMINI Products Inc. Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca.
Quote:
Originally posted by LAXterra:
Quote:
Originally posted by xterrabull:
[b]Sweet....
So, does that X have crawler gears or no?
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

[/b]
Hey Cary, I'm sure you saw Trent Riddle walk up to my truck after the Little Sluice. He says hi, and wants to know if you still like woman body builders? You want to tell us about the old days at Hughes Aircraft?

#234166 - 16/09/03 07:56 PM Re: Rubicon tested….
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great photos, Really looks like a great Driving experience. I'd be interested in a NISSAN truck/Rubicon DVD for sure. Keep us posted. Thanks [Smoking]

#234167 - 16/09/03 09:53 PM Re: Rubicon tested….
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by CALMINI Products Inc.:
Hey Cary, I'm sure you saw Trent Riddle walk up to my truck after the Little Sluice. He says hi, and wants to know if you still like woman body builders? You want to tell us about the old days at Hughes Aircraft?
No... too big now. frown
Rachel McLish was two time Miss Olympia in 1980's an was hot. laugh

Hughes Helicopters :p
What do you want to know? Eight years as a General Machinist making 25mm Bushmaster, 30mm Asp guns and tank killer helicopters. [Laughing]

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#234168 - 17/09/03 03:49 PM Re: Rubicon tested….
CALMINI Products Inc. Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca.
Quote:
Originally posted by LAXterra:
Quote:
Originally posted by CALMINI Products Inc.:
[b]Hey Cary, I'm sure you saw Trent Riddle walk up to my truck after the Little Sluice. He says hi, and wants to know if you still like woman body builders? You want to tell us about the old days at Hughes Aircraft?
No... too big now. frown
Rachel McLish was two time Miss Olympia in 1980's an was hot. laugh

Hughes Helicopters :p
What do you want to know? Eight years as a General Machinist making 25mm Bushmaster, 30mm Asp guns and tank killer helicopters. [Laughing] [/b]
Oh, nothing to talk about really...he just mentioned something about one of the women that size making you pick up a quarter with your nose...

#234169 - 19/09/03 04:31 PM Re: Rubicon tested….
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great job guys. I wish I would have gone with you instead of on labor day. Any of you coming with us next month? So far I think there will be 4 trucks. I've got to do it one more time this year laugh I'm hooked.

#234170 - 20/09/03 01:14 PM Re: Rubicon tested….
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like it was a good run. Maybe I can get out there soon with my rig.

#234171 - 23/09/03 05:16 PM Re: Rubicon tested….
Xtoolbox Offline

Marty2,

Next month, when? Yeah the fever has taken over and I want to go again :-)

My '90 SAS pathy should be ready to go after the torque converter (splines were stripped out) is replaced this week.

Some more pixs from where I left off & day #2:

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal