2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24393 - 25/08/05 06:42 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeX:
OK, I'll bite. Look Jeff, It's all a waste of gas. We are Americans, we buy toys we don't need. I don't need my Xterra, I bought it to drive around in a vehicle that I think looks cool - yep - and I do buy groceries in it. What should I get, a corvette that has a big ass LS2 engine, it wastes gas. I know you need 4 wheel drive in CO, but when you go 4 wheeling for fun, do you waste gas? Sure you do, but you want to because you want to burn up fossil fuels doing something you like to do but isn't necessary and is wasting gas, so what, it's all good. I don't need 4 wheel drive, I like the Xterra looks and room inside, none of us "need" an Xterra. Its all OK though we are all different and like diffferent things, different hobbies and things we waste money on.

smile
Here we go...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#24394 - 25/08/05 06:51 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ummm lets see I live at nearly 10,000 ft in Colorado.

#24395 - 25/08/05 06:54 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Whatta 'bout me? I live at 19,000 feet!!!
[Huh?] [Too much XOC]

#24396 - 25/08/05 07:06 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got a 4x4 because I wanted it. I go off road occasionally at work and at my friends ranch and on boat ramps it comes in real handy. 4x4 is worth it at any cost when you really need it.

#24397 - 25/08/05 10:00 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

4x4. I have a tendancy to stay in a vehicle until the doors fall off and I wanted to make sure I got everything I might ever need.

#24398 - 26/08/05 04:11 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
4x4 because I wanted the capability for snow, offroad, etc. I also learned a lesson about resale values when I owned a 4x2 pickup. 4x4's hold better resale... you get what you put in plus more back on the 4x4 usually. Also did it because I don't feel a 4x2 SUV makes any sense. If I didn't want 4x4 I would have bought a station wagon and had all the same versatility of a 4x2 X plus better gas mileage, better handling, etc.

#24399 - 26/08/05 05:47 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
MyGoldX Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa, Ca
4x2 I just use mine for trips to Costco and for hauling the kids to and from soccer practice while bitching about the gas mileage
[Wave]

#24400 - 26/08/05 06:00 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
4x4 because I wanted the capability for snow, offroad, etc. I also learned a lesson about resale values when I owned a 4x2 pickup. 4x4's hold better resale... you get what you put in plus more back on the 4x4 usually. Also did it because I don't feel a 4x2 SUV makes any sense. If I didn't want 4x4 I would have bought a station wagon and had all the same versatility of a 4x2 X plus better gas mileage, better handling, etc.
A 4x4 may make more sense where you live, but a 4x2 X will go plenty of places a station wagon won't.

You know, a while back I had a possible relocation to Seattle in the works and checked out your club, only to find this:

< All Xterras in PNWX must be 4WD, no exceptions. >

So you don't even allow 4x2's to join your "Xterra" club. Is this because of your personal bias towards 4x2's as stated above? Just curious.

#24401 - 26/08/05 06:22 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

JeffW wrote:

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatta 'bout me? I live at 19,000 feet!!!
Jeff, you may want to check your elevation again. There's no place in Colorado that high! wink

BlueSky - Good homework. We'll have to see where this goes now...

#24402 - 26/08/05 06:26 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
ChuckH Offline

Our requirement for 4x4 in PNWX has nothing to do with anyone's preference or bias. It has to do with 4x4 being a requirement for participating in our events. We have enough trouble getting the 4x4's in a lot of places; last thing we need is the extra trouble and liability of 2WD trucks. There's really no point in joining an offroading club and paying yearly dues if you can't participate in any of the events anyway is there? We don't mean to offend; that's just the focus of PNWX.

#24403 - 26/08/05 06:58 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
BlueSky Offline

I'm not offended at all, and meant no offense by asking the question. Your explanation makes sense; I'm just puzzled over the club being called the Pacific Northwest Xterra Club. That would lead a reasonable person to assume that it's a club for Xterra owners, even those with no need or desire to shoehorn their trucks into mountain goat habitat.

#24404 - 26/08/05 07:15 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
...I'm just puzzled over the club being called the Pacific Northwest [b]Xterra Club. That would lead a reasonable person to assume that it's a club for Xterra owners....[/b]
I'm with you BlueSky42...if that's the case, they should change the Club name to the Pacific Northwest 4x4 Xterra Club.

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#24405 - 26/08/05 07:41 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

4x4 because of the snow. Living up here I could never get a 4x2 after seeing what mother nature can do in the winter. I live in the middle of nowhere so my road hardly gets plowed. Plus I have snowmobiles and if I want to tow them anywhere I usually have to drive through a ton of snow.

#24406 - 26/08/05 08:26 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
BlueSky Offline

To address the topic here directly, I'm in the same boat as many of the 4x2'ers, just no need for it down here in Jaw-juh, especially at $2000 over a 4x2. I also drive a 5-speed, mainly 'cause I enjoy it, but saving another $800 or whatever it was didn't hurt either.

With all that said...if I was buying used, for example from Carmax, the diff between a 4x2 and 4x4 is far smaller, and in that case, I'd likely buy a 4x4.

That's because I hope to relocate to the Great Northwest and would have a greater need for it. Also, I hear they have an Xterra club there but you can't be in it unless you have a 4x4. wink

#24407 - 26/08/05 09:02 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got a 4x4 because my parents live in central Pa, which usually get's a decent amount of snow. I go to school in Frostburg, MD which is like another world when it comes to snow. I live in west virginia up a mountain. I also have a young daughter and I wanted the security of knowing that I would be able to get her to the hospital in any weather. I have nothing against 4x2, but there have been a few times that I would have gotten stuck without 4 wheel drive. One time I pulled into a friends yard with a steep decline. WHen I tried to back up, I couldn't get enought traction on the pavement to pull out...so for me 4x4 is the thing. And I do a little off roading.....and by the way, does anyone have an extra driver's side step rail (for XE) they'd be willing to sell? I crushed it on a rencent rock crawling trip. I plan to get sliders, but at this time I can't really afford them.

#24408 - 26/08/05 11:26 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Deer hunter:
4X4 becouse i go deer hunting every year
in Wiccinsin and I don't plow my place there
also 4x4 is very handy after big snow storm in Chicago,all my previous vehicles was 2 wheel drive
My next vehicle will also be Xterra 4 wheel drive
Chris
Right on. Living in Chicago more than justifies a 4x4.

#24409 - 26/08/05 04:07 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
Got a 4x2 because I didn't need 4WD. I now have a 4WD because I had tons of trouble with my Xterra and wanted something dependable, and that's best found under the Toyota badge. wink I still don't think 4WD is at all necessary, but it's fun to play with. Besides, I paid for my whole rig what you're payin' for just a second lever wink

#24410 - 26/08/05 06:57 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Snow, mud, and you can go a lot more places than a 2wd.

#24411 - 26/08/05 07:14 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
ChuckH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
I'm not offended at all, and meant no offense by asking the question. Your explanation makes sense; I'm just puzzled over the club being called the Pacific Northwest [b]Xterra Club. That would lead a reasonable person to assume that it's a club for Xterra owners, even those with no need or desire to shoehorn their trucks into mountain goat habitat.[/b]
Well, there's the problem! You're a reasonable person, and none of us are! [LOL] I see your point, but I don't see us changing the name this late in the game, as that would require a lot of work, but perhaps we could make it more clear on our website? We finally have someone doing our site that has a lot more of a clue than me, so it may come together and make more sense naturally!

#24412 - 26/08/05 07:48 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeX:
OK, I'll bite. Look Jeff, It's all a waste of gas. We are Americans, we buy toys we don't need. I don't need my Xterra, I bought it to drive around in a vehicle that I think looks cool - yep - and I do buy groceries in it. What should I get, a corvette that has a big ass LS2 engine, it wastes gas. I know you need 4 wheel drive in CO, but when you go 4 wheeling for fun, do you waste gas? Sure you do, but you want to because you want to burn up fossil fuels doing something you like to do but isn't necessary and is wasting gas, so what, it's all good. I don't need 4 wheel drive, I like the Xterra looks and room inside, none of us "need" an Xterra. Its all OK though we are all different and like diffferent things, different hobbies and things we waste money on.

smile
I dont know why you guys get so offended when someone tells you how they feel about your truck. Who gives a fuck what Jeff thinks, its your money! Just because he lives in colorado doesnt mean he needs 4wd. Hell, anyone who truly needs a 4wd gets a subaru (like 80% of the locals here in Tahoe; its cheap, gets good mileage and is good in snow). People who buy trucks usually buy them because they dont like cars (like me!). You also cant take a subaru on the type of terrain you can in an xterra.

So what does it all boil down to here? It boils down to people prefering a truck over a car, and also the need to have 4wd. Two major things. thats pretty much it. You bought a truck (i hope because you prefer trucks over cars) and dont need 4wd. Thats fine. Its your money and uhh.... grow some balls next time attacks you for it. wink

#24413 - 27/08/05 05:20 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Upstate NY, Lake Effect Snow. I live in a hilly area where I have, 11 winters past, passed cars headed uphill, sitting still, with their tires spinning (glare ice). And I was in a front-wheel drive $h1tbox from hell at the time (they had the same type car, but I had the sense to have enough speed to carry me).

Moved into my 05 X from a (still dependable) Dakota 4x2. With the greasy snow, ice storms & crap we get here, and since I will soon be approaching the age when ending up in a ditch moves from inconvenient to dangerous a LOT faster, I went 4x4 this time. I've proved my driving skills in 2WD, so that's enough.

There was also the time my buddy & I had 3 deer down at once, & my Dakota didn't have the traction to get up the hill... and the deer have been getting heavier for the last few years...

#24414 - 27/08/05 08:55 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is my second 4x4 Xterra because I like to go offroad in it and is great in the snow up in northern AZ and in the sand when we go to Mexico.

My last 4 vehicles has been 4WD of one sort or another, including the 2 Audi's. One being 4x4 and the other constant 4WD, there were things of beauty.

#24415 - 28/08/05 11:15 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Got a 4WD for the snow. Plus, it's so hilly here that I've gotten stuck on wet grass a time or two and needed 4WD to get out.

#24416 - 28/08/05 02:13 PM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

4x4 because I can't drive my Z in the upstate winter. So, Anna get's the X and I get her VW.

So, now we have a V, W, X, (no Y yet), and Z

#24417 - 31/08/05 09:22 AM Re: 4x2 or 4x4 why did you??
Anonymous
Unregistered

My last 3 vehicles have been 4x4, Chevy 3/4 ton, Jeep YJ, and a Tahoe. When I bought my X I just didn't have the extra 2G to spend on 4WD. The only time I ever use 4WD anymore is on the boat ramp and I really don't NEED it then. The occasional trips to CO it helps also but I'll make it alright I think.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal