2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#245475 - 11/03/04 12:42 AM Peters Mill, VA
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
A few of us from the Washington D.C. and the Virginia area took to Peters Mill for an afternoon of muddy fun.

See more photos and our trip comments at my Xterra website

Enjoy smile

#245476 - 11/03/04 01:02 AM Re: Peters Mill, VA
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
did you guys try to cross this j/k. looks like you had fun. good pics.

#245477 - 11/03/04 04:16 AM Re: Peters Mill, VA
BluRdgX Offline

Loc: Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountain...
Nice Pics Snoop, reminded me of home....oh wait, it IS home! I'm about 15 mins from the entrance to the Shenandoah National Park(Skyline Drive), definately go back in the fall and even summer for the abundant wildlife....
Work prevented me from joining you guys....
BluRdgX [Wave]

#245478 - 11/03/04 06:37 AM Re: Peters Mill, VA
off2cjb Offline

Very nice photos Snoopy. Also, very nice commentary on the photos. Next time I hope to be there.

#245479 - 11/03/04 07:03 AM Re: Peters Mill, VA
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Nice pics, as always. Hopefully next time you are up this way I'll get a chance to hook up. I skipped the PM run this time because...well...I've been to PM a gajillion times over the years. But there are some awesome trials and some places you can scramble up boulders (on foot) on some of the nearby mountains. Next time you getup this way maybe we can do a little Valley trip and hit some other nearby wheeling.

#245480 - 11/03/04 10:06 AM Re: Peters Mill, VA
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Snoopy must have the most "well traveled" Xterra out there. (California Deserts, Florida Swamps, and now Virginia Mud)

But Carlton and Packrat give him some competition.

#245481 - 11/03/04 10:52 AM Re: Peters Mill, VA
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Snoopy...wondering how Skyline looks in the fall?

Here's October:

"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#245482 - 11/03/04 12:46 PM Re: Peters Mill, VA
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Moby....how did you get those pics...WITH NO TRAFFIC??? I gave up on visiting skyline drive in Fall years ago because it is just one big parking lot now. Instead I have to hike all the way down to H-burg to Reddish Knob and take that forest road along that ridge to enjoy any scenery (and there's still a lot of 4x4 traffic).

#245483 - 11/03/04 01:09 PM Re: Peters Mill, VA
off2cjb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
Moby....how did you get those pics...WITH NO TRAFFIC??? I gave up on visiting skyline drive in Fall years ago because it is just one big parking lot now. Instead I have to hike all the way down to H-burg to Reddish Knob and take that forest road along that ridge to enjoy any scenery (and there's still a lot of 4x4 traffic).
My family goes every late October or early November and there is hardly anyone on the road. We have never encountered any traffic on Blue Ridge or Skyline.

#245484 - 11/03/04 04:01 PM Re: Peters Mill, VA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry I couldn't make this run. I was home in NY on leave before I head off on a TDY! Looks like you guys had some fun.

#245485 - 11/03/04 05:56 PM Re: Peters Mill, VA
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by off2cjb:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
[b]Moby....how did you get those pics...WITH NO TRAFFIC??? I gave up on visiting skyline drive in Fall years ago because it is just one big parking lot now. Instead I have to hike all the way down to H-burg to Reddish Knob and take that forest road along that ridge to enjoy any scenery (and there's still a lot of 4x4 traffic).
My family goes every late October or early November and there is hardly anyone on the road. We have never encountered any traffic on Blue Ridge or Skyline.[/b]
Yup, exactly right. This was on a Saturday, too.

More pics from that trip (though no traffic would be in these):

Skyline Drive
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#245486 - 11/03/04 07:49 PM Re: Peters Mill, VA
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Wait, when did Snoopy get out thisaway? Actually rings a vague bell now that I think about it. Gotta hook up with ya sometime. Been a while since we've been down around Harrisonburg, that would be about the same trek from Norfolk and DC.
Must hit the State Line trail this summer too.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#245487 - 12/03/04 05:39 AM Re: Peters Mill, VA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Wait, when did Snoopy get out thisaway? Actually rings a vague bell now that I think about it. Gotta hook up with ya sometime. Been a while since we've been down around Harrisonburg, that would be about the same trek from Norfolk and DC.
Must hit the State Line trail this summer too.
Did I see "Harrisonburg" in there...yes I think I did. OffroadX, if I'm not working, I'll join you and Snoopy....it's right out my backdoor, I can sneeze and hit GWNF.

#245488 - 12/03/04 05:58 AM Re: Peters Mill, VA
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
Snoopy must have the most "well traveled" Xterra out there.
I'm sure there's more, I just have a website to keep tabs on my travels [ wink ] I'm glad people appreciate the photos. Thanks for the comments.

As far as being here, it should be about a year until I'm complete with my radar training for the E-2C Hawkeye . My training hadn't started thus all the free time to go out and explore.

Hopefully, I can spring for the Rausch Creek trip but some things have to happen to the X first. The VA inspection requirement came up with a list of things that need fixed before the 6.5 hour drive north:
  • two studs on rear wheel about to break
  • steering centerlink required replacement
  • exhaust manifold leak (can wait)

I'm ordering the CALMINI steering upgrade and am hoping to get it installed before then.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal