Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#259521 - 17/12/04 01:05 PM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
babyX Offline

Well, I just had them adjust it this morning. They said it was "waaaaaaaaaay off". Nice. smile

Feels like I'm riding a little higher, though I don't see how. Oh, and I asked about the warranty, Cyclemut. 6 months. Is that good?

#259522 - 17/12/04 02:34 PM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Thanks for the God of Nissan Service back-up CycleMut!

laugh

Jeff - I think you keep assuming that if there's a reason for an adjustment to be off, its OK to be off?

All of the components are somewhat interelated...and yes, if you lift, it affects things, and that's why you get an alignment, and yes, the UCA's don't correct everything, but they can allow enough addtional adjustment of what's left to get things closer to where they need to be...but, that doesn't mean an alignment shouldn't include the other items.

If you read the FSM, it lists what is included in alignment specs...

Some items should never be off unless you have damage for example, but, if you do have damage, the repair should include re-alignment of the involved components, etc.

laugh

Baby - So - the tire wear on the outside edge alone meant you were out of alignment, not at the wrong tire pressure, and you got it re-aligned, and now it is fixed.

laugh

Around here, most shops give a lifetime alignment, and the rest give a year.

Don't know about where you are.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#259523 - 22/12/04 07:31 AM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

what does it mean if the tires are cupping but the inside (closer to the engine) of the tire is worn more then the outside?

#259524 - 22/12/04 08:25 AM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Manny:what does it mean if the tires are cupping but the inside (closer to the engine) of the tire is worn more then the outside?
What's Happening
This tire is worn from corrective steering due to cocked (toe in or out), tilted (camber) or the axle is bending due to overloading.

Probable Causes
- vehicle misalignment
- overloaded axles

Correct alignment.
- If one-sided wear is on the outside of both steer tires, the cause is either toe in or camber. Check both and correct.
- If one-sided wear is on the inside of both steer tires, the cause is either toe out, camber or overloaded axles. Check and correct toe and camber settings. Check load specifications on the axle and keep loads within specs.

**It is most likely not axle overload you need and alignment plain and simple. And check your tire pressure and make sure it is between 30-35 lbs.

#259525 - 22/12/04 08:55 AM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info, looking at picking up/buying the vehicle this afternoon and just wanted a little assurance that the problem may be simple. as for the truck, the dealer is replacing the two bad tires and doing an alignment. i just need to make sure they do the camber as well as the toe adjustments.

#259526 - 22/12/04 08:58 AM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It would also be good to get a print out of the specs they set the alignment to so that you can see for yourself and compare numbers here that your alignments is not going to cause any issues.

#259527 - 22/12/04 09:03 AM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i planned on getting a print out of the alignment, however, it's greek to me. i just want to give a little impression that i know what i'm looking at and basically make sure both toe and camber are set. When you mention #s here, are there pre-set #s to follow when it comes to an alignment, and what other issues would you be talking about?

#259528 - 22/12/04 09:07 AM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are what they should be set to.

Courtesy of Brent.

The issues I mentioned are uneven tire wear, poor handling for example the steering pulling right or left.

#259529 - 22/12/04 09:23 AM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks to you and Brent for the document. I appreciate the info.

Would you by chance know if there was a hybrid (xe/se). I know there are upgrades, enthusiast package, power package, utility package, etc. The truck i'm looking at has a lot of the SE options, except for the radio, front tow hooks, and fog lights aren't there.

It has mirror compass, first aid kit, ceiling tie clips, map lights, intermittent wipers, keyless entry, dark gray front and rear-end (not black), body molding on the doors. I think the tires are 16s not 15s. Any knowledge? This is a 2002 model.

#259530 - 22/12/04 02:41 PM Re: is this kind of tire wear normal?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Actually, if they are cupping, that is normally the shocks not keeping up with the tires bouncing on the raod, etc. (Needs shocks)

The wear in the same areas would be as described above....cupping is an extra issue on top of that.

[Uh Oh !]

Check the shocks too...and just get a credit for new ones if applicable, tell him you'll get them yourself (You want to replace them with better than stock crap, and get Bilstiens, etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal