Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#260713 - 21/07/04 05:06 PM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
I've been on lots of trails from huge boulder fields to deep mud pits, talus ledges and steep (45 degrees) moguls.
No you haven't. The steepest climb in Moab we've been up is only 40 degrees, and that's on sandstone with tons of grip. Where would this 45 degree climb with moguls exist in Colorado ? Where are these huge boulder fields you talk of as well, last I checked, Rampart Range Road doesn't have any.

I think I'm just tired of you constantly talking about all these difficult trails you've run, but you avoid every RMXC run we've had that actually involves anything difficult.

If you're driving trails with those tires at 24 PSI, with swaybars attached and no lift, then you haven't found anything even moderately difficult yet.

#260714 - 21/07/04 05:29 PM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're always talking about Rampart Range and Gold Camp like you know them........

Do you?

There are over 200 (legal) side trips off the two of these roads. Just because they're not in one of your books doesn't mean they aren't there.

What I do may not qualify as "hard core", but it's definitely offroad. Yes , I do run at 24 psi, (occasionally lower), and rarely disconnect the swaybars. My X is a daily driver first and I wheel with it recreationally. I guess I just don't understand why everything has to be a pissing contest around here.

I consider this off road:

Wheeler Lake -w- Long Trails

[img] http://www.whitescarver.com/erinjeff/Xterra/Wheeler/139_3990.JPG [/img]

More pics of tires:

Nankang next to BFG:

Side Lugs:

#260715 - 21/07/04 05:51 PM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
You're always talking about Rampart Range and Gold Camp like you know them........

Do you?

There are over 200 (legal) side trips off the two of these roads. Just because they're not in one of your books doesn't mean they aren't there.
I've lived in Colorado for over 35 years, I was motorcycling the Devil's Head area on Rampart before you were born. I know the area very well, and it has dozens (not over 200) legal trails for cars, many more for ATVs and motorcycles. If they're not on a map and designated with a symbol, you shouldn't be on them.

It's not a pissing match, you said flame away. You keep posting about driving trails where Jeeps can't go, and bending the laws of physics by driving up 45 degree hills just to validate the purchase a set of tires.

Try airing down. This picture shows a tire with basically zero traction. Aired down it would wrap around that rock and grab it. You'll be surprised what a difference it makes.

#260716 - 21/07/04 06:40 PM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeff, goto GOX on the 1st day. At Red Cone (the steepest mogal trail I know) and Radical Hill you will have an oppurtunity to prove Ian wrong in front of 15 or so XOCers. The trail head is only 1 1/2 hours from Colorado Springs and if we start at 10:00 you can be back home by 7:00.

#260717 - 22/07/04 12:35 AM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
XOC Offline
Admin

That would be a great example, turning around and driving back up the first pitch of Red Cone, which most locked vehicles can't get up. I'd like to see a stock Xterra with aired up tires attempt it.

#260718 - 22/07/04 02:12 PM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Jeff, goto GOX on the 1st day. At Red Cone (the steepest mogal trail I know) and Radical Hill you will have an oppurtunity to prove Ian wrong in front of 15 or so XOCers. The trail head is only 1 1/2 hours from Colorado Springs and if we start at 10:00 you can be back home by 7:00.
Sorry-

Out of town....

Regardless, I've driven down that road several years ago in a Suzuki I had at the time. There is no way in hell my X could even attempt it(up). I would probably just flip down a couple of thousand feet and die.

#260719 - 22/07/04 02:33 PM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]You're always talking about Rampart Range and Gold Camp like you know them........

Do you?

I've lived in Colorado for over 35 years, I was motorcycling the Devil's Head area on Rampart before you were born. I know the area very well, and it has dozens (not over 200) legal trails for cars, many more for ATVs and motorcycles. If they're not on a map and designated with a symbol, you shouldn't be on them.

It's not a pissing match, you said flame away. You keep posting about driving trails where Jeeps can't go, and bending the laws of physics by driving up 45 degree hills just to validate the purchase a set of tires.

Try airing down. This picture shows a tire with basically zero traction. Aired down it would wrap around that rock and grab it. You'll be surprised what a difference it makes.[/b]
I said 45 degree moguls(as in individual spots).

Agreed, airing down makes a HUGE difference. I just don't normally do it unless something necessitates it. That picture is from Wheeler Lake Trail. I deliberately did not air down because it does seem that my undercarraige catches on a lot more rocks when I do. On that trail, I needed every millimeter of ground clearance I could get. With a lifted X you have a little more clearance to play with.

Yes, you're right, dozens.......

(but including all the possible routes on tributaries, hundreds)

All the legal side trips off of Gold Camp and Rampart are marked by a symbol, but many aren't on the map. Since the Symbol for a legal trail ( -> ) is common knowledge, however, I'm wondering why you would call my attention to it.

#260720 - 22/07/04 04:32 PM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Since the Symbol for a legal trail ( -> ) is common knowledge, however, I'm wondering why you would call my attention to it.
Enviro wackos [ThumbsDown] are looking for a way to close those trails. When you leave designated trails it gives those wackos more ammo to close the trail. We have lost to many trails here and don't need anymore closed. Look through 9news.com a read the battle over Crystal Mountain. The locals want to close the trail and have gone as far as booby trapping it.

Please stay on the designated trails.

#260721 - 23/07/04 06:42 AM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Quote:
[b]Since the Symbol for a legal trail ( -> ) is common knowledge, however, I'm wondering why you would call my attention to it.
Enviro wackos [ThumbsDown] are looking for a way to close those trails. When you leave designated trails it gives those wackos more ammo to close the trail. We have lost to many trails here and don't need anymore closed. Look through 9news.com a read the battle over Crystal Mountain. The locals want to close the trail and have gone as far as booby trapping it.

Please stay on the designated trails.[/b]
I do.

They are designated by the above symbol. The trails I drive on are just as legal as the ones you do. And there's not really "locals" to booby trap in the middle of the National Forest. The illegal side trips off those trails are the ones that put those trails at risk for closing.

#260722 - 25/07/04 01:25 PM Re: Flame Away! Nankangs mounted.
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
In your side-by-side pictures of the Nanking and BFG that is not a very accurate comparison as that BFG looks to be very worn. If you were comparing a new BFG to your tire there would be a big difference.

This is a newer one

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal