Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#261959 - 02/01/08 09:38 AM BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just like the title, anybody ran these before? Every BFG tire I've had on the old Supra was a damn good one, just wondering how they are in this end of the business. I plan on running stock size (265/70/16) or maybe bumping up the half inch to a 31".

JordanC

#261960 - 02/01/08 10:57 AM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try the search tool on BFG AT's.... ALOT of people have them.. I had them for quit awhile before upgrading to a MT. I think they work awesome for dirt, moderate mud,snow, and wet. I'd go to a 32" if I were you... sometimes requires light trimming of plastic... no biggie.

#261961 - 02/01/08 11:22 AM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried the search and didn't really find what I was looking for. Do 32's affect the speedo very bad? I'm not going hardcore with my offroading just yet so I'm trying to stay close to stock size for now. I plan on lifting the X next year and will prolly go 32's or 33's at that time. Thanks for the reply.

JordanC

#261962 - 02/01/08 11:38 AM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think it says ur going 2-3 mph slower with the 32" tires

#261963 - 02/01/08 12:26 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Richard Krenn Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
I've had 31 AT's, 32x11 MT's and 33x10 MT's
All are good tires. Becareful of the width, the 33x10 have less rubbing than the 32x11. I'm just about due for new tires and will be going with the 33x10 MT's again. Don't forget to rotate them often, this is more important as you get to the more aggressive treads.

Richard

#261964 - 02/01/08 02:13 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here you go brand new 33x12.50x15 BFG all terrains, 2"BL, and PML. I trimmed very little plastic and removed the mudflaps on the front thats it.

#261965 - 02/01/08 04:18 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Krenn:
I've had 31 AT's, 32x11 MT's and 33x10 MT's
All are good tires. Becareful of the width, the 33x10 have less rubbing than the 32x11. I'm just about due for new tires and will be going with the 33x10 MT's again. Don't forget to rotate them often, this is more important as you get to the more aggressive treads.

Richard
How often would you suggest a rotation? Another question, my 4WD model I'm sure like everyone else's has the black center hub on the front wheels and the nissan center cap on the back. Seems like a bitch to dismount and remount tires each time a rotation is needed. So my question is this, can we buy the center caps from nissan to put on the front wheels? Thanks for the replies guys.

JordanC

#261966 - 02/01/08 04:35 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The center caps just pop off, most of the time it will happen on a trail never to be seen again. Mine have been gone for so long that I dont remember what it looked like with them anymore. But to answer your question no they will not fit from front to back.

#261967 - 02/01/08 04:44 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

IF you wheel, sooner or later it will look like this anyway

But to clarify your question, you do not dismount your tires to rotate them, they are all the same, but your center caps off of the back will not fit over the front auto hubs.

#261968 - 02/01/08 05:08 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks man that clarifies ALOT. Don't know why I had it stuck in my head that the caps were gonna stay with the same wheel. Sounds like it might be in my best interest to leave them off anyways, looks a hell of alot better IMO. Thanks again.

JordanC

#261969 - 02/01/08 06:01 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
koalakilla Offline

Loc: Woodlands, TX
When I raised my tire size to 265/75/R16, it made my spedo off by 10%. If you read 40 youre going 44, 50=55 etc.
SWXC Member #74

#261970 - 02/01/08 06:32 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

this will tell you exactly what it will do
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
i like the at's too, can't say anything bad about them other then my buddy was rocking a set on his toyota and breaking trail with them on where i was using chains on my mt's. His tires have 30k on them and still look almost new.

#261971 - 02/01/08 07:25 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
XOC has a tire and gear calculator as well...
here...

But the speed difference between the speedo and what you are actually doing isn't a constant, it depends on how fast you are actually going. The relationship between the speeo and actual speed is a constant however...

The speed you travel in realtionship to the speedo going from a 265/70/16 to a 32" tire will be off by a factor of 1.045 - or about
A half MPH difference every 11 MPH the speedo shows. So when the speedo shows 11- you're actually going 11.5, speedo 22 - actual 23, speedo 33 - actual 33.5, and so on...

#261972 - 03/01/08 01:23 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=25179565

those are 33's bfg a/ts.. they do awsome in what ever i am, but im gonna try M/Ts next

#261973 - 03/01/08 04:01 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So are my calculations right in that the stock tire size (265/70/16) is already a 30.61" tire. I know there are differences in the reality of the actual tire size but damn that seems pretty good for stock size. I'm stuck btwn a 275/70/16 (31.16") and a 265/75/16 (31.65"), which would be the smarter buy in you guy's opinion?

JordanC

#261974 - 08/01/08 07:06 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, just wanted to post my experience with trying to upgrade my tires.

But first, this is my first post even though I've been reading for a while. I'll post some more, though.
I have a 2007 black, OR Xterra. I love it. The only thing added so far are Shrock sliders. In the next few months I hope to get Shrock skid plates for the entire bottom, then eventually a new front bumper, either Shrock or Calmini.

Anyway...
Even though the tires are practically new on the X, I really needed to get some new tires on our Explorer, so I thought why not put the X tires on the Explorer, so I could get new tires on the X.
Which, by the way, the 265's on the Explorer are a huge improvement over the 235's that were on there. It looks much better.

I tried to go with the BFG 285/75 16 KO. But, even though I've heard many people on this forum, and others, say it will fit... it absolutely does not fit. Not even close. The back of the tire is right against the back of the wheel well, you couldn't stick a piece of paper in between.
That's what I found at Discount Tire when they tried to put them on.
They did say that with a good 2-3" lift, it should be ok. So that's what you'll need to do for that tire.

So, unfortunately for now I had to go with a 265/75 16 KO. So the same size I had, but a more aggressive tread, at least. I didn't have time to get a lift on the X as we needed to get the Explorer tires right now.

There were other options, but I couldn't really afford to get new Explorer tires now and in a few months get new X tires(especially since they'd still be almost new)... so this wasn't too bad of a compromise.

Anyway, that's my story.
Andy

#261975 - 08/01/08 07:12 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy, welcome on.. Have you heard of the "melt mod"? Here's a 285/75/r16 on an '07 OR w/ NO lift.

This is obviously an MT also, so I'm surprised you claim no room w/ the AT. confused

#261976 - 08/01/08 07:27 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That Hot!

#261977 - 08/01/08 08:01 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dbax, that does look nice.
I dunno. I was looking right at the tire on the vehicle at Discount Tire. It was completely against the back of the wheel well. You couldn't even turn the wheel. And the guy there completely agreed. That tire wasn't going on. He had to call me back to the store to show me how it was fitting

I have heard about doing some melting, but from what I was looking at, there wasn't even room for that. Since the plastic on the back is right against the metal.

Looking at yours you seem to have a completely different vehicle than mine. Strange. I wish I could have gotten those on there.
I wonder if there's a size difference between the Firestone and BFG?

andy

#261978 - 09/01/08 03:42 AM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That looks like a picture of a front tire not the back tire..........but i have a 1st gen so mabie im wrong.........

#261979 - 09/01/08 09:12 AM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, that is the front. But that's the same one they tried at Discount Tire.
It was the back of the front wheel well that had the problem.

By the way, I wake up this morning and the rear passenger tire is flat... all I did was drive home from Discount Tire last night. Nice.

#261980 - 10/01/08 10:53 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya know, alot of guys run the BFG's, and I'm not here to bash them. I've had a set of my own and after the first, I went to TOYO Open Country A/T's. I like them alot better. They're about the same price too.

#261981 - 10/01/08 11:39 PM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got the BFG's in late fall '07, but I didn't keep them on for more than two weeks..I slapped a new set of pure winters Dunops'on 15 rims. I like using winters for winter..(call me a tire lover wink )
I just had one time to take a photo of them on my 2002SC. I didn't trim nothing and only have an AAL kit on..and that's it. No rubbing until full crank to either side..but very minimal..
They are super beefy and they feel like beasts..many guys on here use them, I wanted to get them because of how much I read on their great tread life and for the odd day I go off road.
Can't wait to swap them back on in the early spring..for sure I'll be taking more photos.. wink

#261982 - 11/01/08 05:48 AM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by JordanC:
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Krenn:
[b]Don't forget to rotate them often, this is more important as you get to the more aggressive treads.

Richard
How often would you suggest a rotation?

JordanC[/b]
I've been told by Discount Tire to rotate offroad tires at least about every other oil change... 6,000 miles...

#261983 - 13/01/08 07:17 AM Re: BFG A/T's: Thoughts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NEX:
I just got the BFG's in late fall '07, but I didn't keep them on for more than two weeks..I slapped a new set of pure winters Dunops'on 15 rims. I like using winters for winter..(call me a tire lover wink )
I just had one time to take a photo of them on my 2002SC. I didn't trim nothing and only have an AAL kit on..and that's it. No rubbing until full crank to either side..but very minimal..
They are super beefy and they feel like beasts..many guys on here use them, I wanted to get them because of how much I read on their great tread life and for the odd day I go off road.
Can't wait to swap them back on in the early spring..for sure I'll be taking more photos.. wink
hey what size tire did you use on those rims? i cause i want the BFG AT on the same rim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal