Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#264098 - 28/12/02 07:30 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieX:
Perhaps a silly question...What additional parts would I need to purchase to have new parts side to side?
You would need 2 tie-rod assemblies.

$90 each from Xterra Parts

I replaced one since I had 2 worn tie rod ends on the passenger side.

#264099 - 29/12/02 01:54 AM Re: calmini steering install pics
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Finally got to go outside in the rain to take some pictures.

The next two pictures shows what you should not do...(use stock tie rod adjusters). :p Not recommended even for a short time...

On the 1st day, Xplorx4 and I had a hard time putting Calmini adjusters in. It became too late, and I had to leave his garage, so the stock tie rod adjusters were put on only for temporarily. As you can see and mentioned earlier, because the end of the Idler arm is closer to the frame than that of the Pitman arm, there is more gap between inner and outer tie rod ends on the passenger side. As a result, only about 1/2" of threads were able to be inserted into the tie rod ends on the passenger side verses about 1" on the driver side.

#264100 - 29/12/02 02:05 AM Re: calmini steering install pics
XSAL Offline

On the 2nd day, we used the air tool, and managed to put the Calmini adjusters on.

Following pictures were taken after the alignment was done.

Notice the distance between the Pitman arm to the frame (1st pic) and the Idler arm to the frame (2nd pic). It is little difficult to tell, but Pitman arm side has more distance.

3rd picture shows the driver side adjuster, and you can see the approximate number of threads left.

4th picture shows the passenger side adjuster. Threads left are more than the driver side.

Right after the installation, I was little worried if the driver side can be aligned correctly. There was no problem... smile

I hope the pictures are helpful to those who are about to install the system... cool

#264101 - 29/12/02 02:41 AM Re: calmini steering install pics
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by XSAL:
Notice the distance between the Pitman arm to the frame (1st pic) and the Idler arm to the frame (2nd pic). It is little difficult to tell, but Pitman arm side has more distance.
To me that would mean the center link is adjusted too long. The idler and pitman arms should be parallel to each other.

Measure the distance from the center of the pitman arm shaft to the idler arm shaft. Compare it to the length of the centerlink mounting hole to mounting hole.

#264102 - 29/12/02 08:41 AM Re: calmini steering install pics
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]Perhaps a silly question...What additional parts would I need to purchase to have new parts side to side?

I replaced one since I had 2 worn tie rod ends on the passenger side.[/b]
Yeah I also needed new tie rod ends since mine are sloppy.

FYI BECK/ARNLEY P/N 101-4740 tie rod assemblies also work and they only cost me $65 each at my kragen local parts store.

Other supplies/tools besides what's been mentioned…I'm thinking grease & gun for the centerlink ends since mine didn't appear to be greased from the factory. Did everybody else notice this/grease them?

Planning on installing mine & helping a few other local owners soon. Looks like you don't want to drive much without a alignment because of the toe in on the passengers side mentioned?

#264103 - 29/12/02 09:36 AM Re: calmini steering install pics
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Heads up to those still waiting!

Make sure your order hasn't been lost! I just found out that my original order disappeared and that's why I didn't get my steering system. I was put back on the list but it was too late for the first shipment. I had no idea that I had fallen from the top of the list. If you ordered very early on don't be surprised if the same has happened to you.

#264104 - 29/12/02 01:46 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
XSAL Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Heads up to those still waiting!

Make sure your order hasn't been lost! I just found out that my original order disappeared and that's why I didn't get my steering system. I was put back on the list but it was too late for the first shipment. I had no idea that I had fallen from the top of the list. If you ordered very early on don't be surprised if the same has happened to you.
This is the orde you placed with xterraparts.com, isn't it? Or, with Calmini?

I remember that there was another person who posted about his order removed by xterraparts.com on the AF board... :rolleyes:

#264105 - 29/12/02 01:56 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
ChuckH Offline

Yeah, with Xterraparts. What's weird is that Calmini said I ordered from them and then canceled my order but that never happened?

I have to give Steve at Xterraparts a lot of credit though. When Calmini started shipping and they were going through their lists, Steve notcied I wasn't on the list and remembered I wanted one so he tried to get it. With being on a 6 month waiting list I'm not surprised that there were some problems and I know Xterraparts will take care of me.

I'm just upset because I wanted to be first...hehe! laugh

#264106 - 29/12/02 02:10 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Perhaps a silly question...What additional parts would I need to purchase to have new parts side to side?

I replaced one since I had 2 worn tie rod ends on the passenger side.[/b]
Yeah I also needed new tie rod ends since mine are sloppy.

FYI BECK/ARNLEY P/N 101-4740 tie rod assemblies also work and they only cost me $65 each at my kragen local parts store.

Other supplies/tools besides what's been mentioned…I'm thinking grease & gun for the centerlink ends since mine didn't appear to be greased from the factory. Did everybody else notice this/grease them?

Planning on installing mine & helping a few other local owners soon. Looks like you don't want to drive much without a alignment because of the toe in on the passengers side mentioned?[/b]
Thanks for confirming that stuff for me and thanks for the BA part #'s. Mine are really sloppy and I don't wan't to bother with the swap and have to do it again later.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#264107 - 29/12/02 06:15 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
That system is sweet,so much cool stuff and yet, so little money, what gives?

#264108 - 30/12/02 12:50 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Mine showed up today.

#264109 - 30/12/02 02:39 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
ChuckH Offline

Update: I have now been informed that a steering system did ship for me on Friday. I think somebody is just screwing with my head because they know how bad I want it!
confused [Laughing]

#264110 - 30/12/02 03:48 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
Another thing to note:

... it seems to me that the centerlink (spec'd to be 30-5/8" from end-to-end, measured at the center of the joint) is a little short.... confused

I agree that the centerlink is too short at 30 5/8". On my truck, when the steering wheel is straight the pitman arm is parallel to the frame and the idler arm side is angled towards the frame. For the idler arm and pitman arm to be parallel, the center link needs to be the same length as the distance between the steering shaft and idler arm pivot. I measured that to be 31", but it's gotten dark on me, so I won't be changing the centerlink tonight.

I eyeballed the alignment with the Calmini specified centerlink and the steering wheel level. The passenger tie rod is much longer than the driver side and the steering response feels different left from right.

#264111 - 31/12/02 07:22 AM Re: calmini steering install pics
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
One other note. To set up the center link measure between the grease fitting holes on the new TREs. The CL should be 30 5/8" between these holes. So the whole thing is actually longer than that.

#264112 - 31/12/02 01:50 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
One other note. To set up the center link measure between the grease fitting holes on the new TREs. The CL should be 30 5/8" between these holes. So the whole thing is actually longer than that.
I did that and still feel it's too short.

#264113 - 31/12/02 02:45 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
Aero Steve Offline

I reset my centerlink to 31 3/16" measured between the zerks on the tie rod ends. The pitman and idler arms are close to parallel and the tie-rod lengths are nearly equal left and right on my truck. Full turns don't seem to be scrubbing the tires excessively so the ackerman angle seems about right. And steering response is more balanced than it was at the original setting. The steering wheel is a little off, but it's close enough until I get a proper alignment after the 1st.

#264114 - 01/01/03 01:46 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
So there are some issues here with the setup? Is it best to wait and see how this pans out? My centerlink is starting to go bye-bye but I don't want to buy this system if it is going to add other problems and just keep my from buying centerlinks. Advise?
John

#264115 - 01/01/03 02:01 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
It does not look like a problem to me.. rather just a disagreement as to how to do the initial set up.

I should knnow more first had info by next week.

#264116 - 01/01/03 10:49 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
It does not look like a problem to me.. rather just a disagreement as to how to do the initial set up.
It is a problem if the idler and pitman are not parallel. Steering will be different in each direction, which is not good.

Measure the distance between the center of the pitman arm shaft and idler arm shaft.
Set the centerlink to that same length (center to center on the tie-rod ends).
Everything should be fine then.

#264117 - 02/01/03 09:29 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
paulgw Offline

Loc: St.Albans, Herts, UK.
That has to be the cleanest Xterra chassis etc I have ever seen!
smile

#264118 - 05/01/03 10:58 AM Re: calmini steering install pics
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
One new note about the setup. I have had mine on for about two weeks now. I went wheeling last weekend and noticed afterwards that the idler was a bit loose.

It was able to move fore and aft a hair. Turns out the powdercoating wore down a bit and let the idler loosen up some. I tightened the bolt down to 100 ft/lbs, and it is fine. Just thought I would mention it for anyone else that might have the same issue.

Besides the powder coating, which seems normal, the system held up well. I really banged it hard a few times to on the rocks, and it is still perfectly solid. Should get some more test time in soon.

#264119 - 05/01/03 11:30 AM Re: calmini steering install pics
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Calmini told me this was the reason behind going to the plating vs. the powdercoating (closer tolerances).

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#264120 - 05/01/03 12:32 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
Calmini told me this was the reason behind going to the plating vs. the powdercoating (closer tolerances).
So the next sets will be plated instead of powdercoated? I thought I heard about a new silver batch coming out, is this what I heard about?

Good to hear they are holding up.
John

#264121 - 05/01/03 07:20 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
I reset my centerlink to 31 3/16" measured between the zerks on the tie rod ends. The pitman and idler arms are close to parallel and the tie-rod lengths are nearly equal left and right on my truck.
Yup installed mine today, exactly the same 31 3/16" measured between the zerks on the tie rod ends on the CL w/ parallel pitman and idler arms, tie-rod lengths are also equal left and right on my truck with 4 threads showing on both.

Alignment and steering wheel seems almost dead on and steering very balanced overall. Interested in seeing the readout once I go for an alignment this week. Feels very solid, have to get use to this new system, can't wait to go wheelin' and test everything out laugh

Spent ~ 2hrs disassembling/installing after we put the tie-rod adjusters/assemblies together. The right-handed threads were much tighter on my adjusters and I used a bench vice to hold them while threading the lock nuts after greasing them very good.

Thanks for the pics/tips & LAX for the vice and help putting together the tie rods assemblies w/ the Gorilla torque smile

#264122 - 06/01/03 08:06 PM Re: calmini steering install pics
ChuckH Offline

Got mine today...yay! laugh

Now I have a weekend project. Then I get my new tires next week! I'm celebrating Christmas a little late!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal