Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#265377 - 24/03/04 10:41 AM Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can get 2001 Xterra OEM 15x7 wheels powdercoated black for my 2002 SC for about 700.00 + S&H.
So what do you all think? this is part of the prep for GOX.

I assume they will fit, I dont the the config. changed at all for the wheels/calipers etc..

#265378 - 24/03/04 11:35 AM Re: Your opinion?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Steel or aluminum wheels ?

#265379 - 24/03/04 12:08 PM Re: Your opinion?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sounds steep either way. Even if they are alloys you can probably pick them up without powdercoating for $200 - $250 a set, so does the powdercoating really add $450 to the value?

Don't forget too, but the 15" alloys are the recall wheels, so you could be buying some that should be going back to Nissan! That would suck to pay $700 and then have even one of them crack. If they didn't come on your truck you'd probably have a hard time getting Nissan to replace them!

So, basically, I wouldn't pay for powdercoating if you don't know that the wheels will last. Just pick some up for $200 or so, IMO.

#265380 - 24/03/04 12:14 PM Re: Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian I think they are alum.. ChuckH very good point that did not even cross my mind.

Now I know Tire rack has a set of 16'' but I am trying to stay OEM just because of all the shit I hear about trim this, I rub here, or somr sort of shit like that.

#265381 - 24/03/04 12:17 PM Re: Your opinion?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Tirerack had 15" OEM steel wheels last time I looked.

#265382 - 24/03/04 12:24 PM Re: Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just looked at Tire Rack all I could find were the 16'' under the winter tire combo. Where do I need to look?

#265383 - 24/03/04 12:25 PM Re: Your opinion?
ChuckH Offline

I would stay with 15" wheels, mainly because it's easier and less expensive to get tires for them. Personally, I would look for a set of the 15" Frontier Desert Runner wheels in graphite or get a set of the 15" steel wheels. Also, the 15" late 90's (I think?) Pathfinder (I think they have 7 or 8 spokes?) wheels fit and work well on the Xterra.

#265384 - 24/03/04 12:27 PM Re: Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i've been quoted approx. $50/wheel to strip and powdercoat in my neck of the woods, although leadtime is probably a week or so.

#265385 - 24/03/04 12:30 PM Re: Your opinion?
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Here ya go!

Xterra 15" Alloys
More of the same

Perfect for powdercoating... cheap so far!

You get the picture... e-bay is cheap! Stock steels through tire rack are $49 each... you can't find them online... you have to call... good luck!

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#265386 - 24/03/04 12:38 PM Re: Your opinion?
ChuckH Offline

I've noticed lately that there are a lot of the 15" alloys on eBay. I wonder if Nissan isn't requiring the recall wheels be returned so dealers are selling them?

Airborne; too bad you can't wait a couple months. When I switch to my M/T's in a month or so I might sell the my 2000 SE 15" alloys for cheap. They are already trail broken in too! laugh I will be ready for new A/T's next Winter, so I'm thinking of selling these wheels to get some Desert Runner wheels for the new tires.

#265387 - 24/03/04 12:42 PM Re: Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont bust my balls, but I have never heard of ebay, Haa, just fucking with ya, I meant never used. Im sort of paranoid to use ebay. Any advice when purchasing off there?

I dont geuss its any differant from ordering stuff offline.

#265388 - 24/03/04 12:52 PM Re: Your opinion?
austinbrtndr Offline

It's really easy... just register with paypal for secure buying...

Kraig

#265389 - 24/03/04 12:55 PM Re: Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kraig those would't be the 15'' recall alum. wheels ChuckH is talking about further up the thread?

#265390 - 24/03/04 01:09 PM Re: Your opinion?
austinbrtndr Offline

Y'know... I'm not real sure what the recall style was... I thought it was the X shaped wheels... anyway, there are thousands of those wheels that weren't included in the recall... I know mine weren't... it just depends on when they were made... and as far as I know, if they start to crack, Nissan should replace them with new wheels for you... They wouldn't know you bought them off of ebay...

Kraig

#265391 - 24/03/04 01:19 PM Re: Your opinion?
ChuckH Offline

Those are the style that was recalled, but not all of them are affected, so they may or may not be the "crack" specials. Probably wouldn't be easy to find out either. Honestly, if the price is right I wouldn't worry too much as long as you are willing to inspect the wheels regularly and replace them as needed. I have 11 wheels of that style and 7 of them are the "Crack" specials, but I inspect them everytime I rotate or change tires. I've had one that cracked and I'm trying to get nissan to just replace that one. Some of mine are the non machined version and I'm not willing to trade those to Nissan for the machined ones (that's what you get with the recall), even if they will do it because I like the non machined wheel better.

All said, if you want alloys I would search under "Frontier" on eBay and look for a set of Desert Runner wheels instead. If you don't know which wheels I'm talking about, Ramness has them on his Xterra.

Here's a picture of where they typically crack. I don't know what Nissan's policy is for replacing wheels that did not come on your truck, and even the dumbest person at the dealer and Nissan will know those wheels didn't come on your S/C Xterra.
Just something to think about. Like I said, I don't worry too much about it; I just watch. So far only one has cracked!

#265392 - 24/03/04 01:24 PM Re: Your opinion?
austinbrtndr Offline

Here are some Desert Runner wheels on ebay...

HERE

Kraig

#265393 - 25/03/04 08:56 AM Re: Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok Kraig I have placed my bid I hope I get them. [ThumbsUp]

#265394 - 25/03/04 09:01 AM Re: Your opinion?
austinbrtndr Offline

The trick is to pay more attention to it at the end... I used to have to fight people on ebay for football tickets and such... Be down to the last 5 minutes or so and having bid wars as fast as we could type... Yours shouldn't be that way, though... Just watch the last 30 minutes or so... Good luck and happy bidding! laugh

Kraig

#265395 - 25/03/04 11:43 AM Re: Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't worry about watching $%@#& auctions.....

Just snipe for what U wanna pay. laugh

http://www.bidnapper.com/
(free 10 day trial)

#265396 - 25/03/04 11:59 AM Re: Your opinion?
austinbrtndr Offline

Cool service... I've never heard of that... but, unfortunately, I'm one of the "lowballer" bidders, who doesn't really like to pick anything up unless it's a super deal... Guess it would still work, though...

Kraig

#265397 - 25/03/04 12:45 PM Re: Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Around here you can get some wheels preped and powercoated for a steep $100.00 for four wheels.

#265398 - 26/03/04 05:48 PM Re: Your opinion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by austinbrtndr:
Cool service... I've never heard of that... but, unfortunately, I'm one of the "lowballer" bidders, who doesn't really like to pick anything up unless it's a super deal... Guess it would still work, though...
Just snipe for what you're willing to pay.....

If you don't win the auction, you're not out anything.

The local tire shop here sells stock steel wheeels for 20 bucks each (used). He charges a little more for old alloy ones. Most of the ones I've seen are off 90's pathys and hardbodys. I rarely see good deals on wheels on ebay. The junkyard also sells em pretty cheap. You may be able to save a bundle by looking locally......

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal