Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#267104 - 12/09/01 07:19 PM TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Holy rubber nubbies, Batman!!! laugh

Why didn't I do this sooner? The power, the intimidation and oh yeah, the off-road performance! Woohoo! These things rock!

I haven't really seen them on the truck in daylight yet, but I got home with them and trimmed up the mudflaps (never underestimate the raw, plastic munching power of a 4" Makita!) and washed the rims/tires down. They definately rubbed a little stock, but just on 7/8's turn before lock or so.

The LT265/75R16 size is perfect for the 16" rims on the Xterra, IMO. The tires are pretty much straight up from the rim with a little bulge (ideally I guess you want a little more to protect the rim) and fill the wheel wells perfectly. They almost look too big, but when you step back, it just looks totally bad ass. What I like about this size is that the tires are still within the wheel wells, so you won't be flingin' funk all down the side of your X. Perfect fit, I would say.

I must admit though, I'm curious about the LT285/75R16 size, but I think that would have been a little too much...

With the torsion bar tweak, 2" SLR shackles, Bilstein "H0" shocks all around and now the TRXUS tires, the X takes on a whole new look. The truck is a good 3.5" higher in the back and 3" higher in the front now. My neighbor quipped, "Look at it, it's so tall - it's starting to look like one of those safari vehicles!" Hehehe.

I'll share some pictures of the finished product and some more takes on the tires tomorrow, in the daylight!

Now to add the 18" Extension to the LoadWarrior, slap on the Light Bar Brackets and mount the two additional 150w KC Daylighters to the roof. No low clearance garage will be safe! laugh

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: BoarderPhreak ]

#267105 - 12/09/01 07:58 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Congrats! Did you get a 5th one btw? I've been meaning to do a lineup of spares comparison shot for months now, might as well start w/ TrXus, SSR, BFG MT, and any others we get this weekend! (Hoping I can make it.)

IIRC riding w/ Matt, those tires don't really hum much, but if you haven't, be sure to roll down your windows on the highway and play "pretend I'm a prop plane." smile

#267106 - 13/09/01 05:21 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Ironically, no - the spare (fifth) tire seems to be MIA. ARGH!

I gotta call up Tyres1.com and find out WTF...

The tires are surprisingly quiet, believe it or not! There is a low hum to be sure, but it sounds intimidating... Hehehe.

#267107 - 13/09/01 05:56 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Pics, my man! Pics!

#267108 - 13/09/01 06:03 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
Pics, my man! Pics!

I 2nd that!

#267109 - 13/09/01 06:18 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Who's your daddy?! Booya! laugh

Click on the picture for a bunch more images!

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: BoarderPhreak ]

#267110 - 13/09/01 05:56 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
Xodus Offline

Loc: Redmond, WA
Well I've been debating this myself for some time and I guess seeing your X was the proverbial straw - just ordered a set of Trxus for myself. Woohoo! laugh

#267111 - 13/09/01 06:09 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
bperry Offline

Loc: san antonio
Nice, time for some wheels now.

#267112 - 13/09/01 06:16 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by bperry:
Nice, time for some wheels now.

Want to go find some that actually fit the truck first? smile

#267113 - 13/09/01 06:48 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Right on, Xodus! You'll love 'em! I have the LT265/75R16 size, FYI... Tyres1.com has 'em for $113 per.

Wheels? We don't need no steenkin' wheels! I like the alloys just fine, actually. Until there's an aftermarket wheel with the right looks and right offsets, etc. then "fuhgedaboutit."

#267114 - 13/09/01 06:56 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I like my BFG's Phreak but those look good too.

See my profile to see a pic of the BFG's on another solar yellow. laugh

#267115 - 13/09/01 07:34 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Thanks - and very nice, DeFibVT! I considered the AT's as well, but I wanted something a little more serious for deep snow and the occasional off-roading misadventure... And yeah, a little for the looks. Sue me. smile

#267116 - 14/09/01 06:11 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
What's your lawyer's name and address? I will get the papers drawn up to sue you next week. laugh

BTW...from the info I got from bn300 and deranger the AT's do well in the snow. I realize though that you get heavier snow pack then what we get.

I too, thought about the TRXU's but was very concerned with the 2-ply sidewall. I know they claim to be thicker than the BFG 3-ply but I got mine for $106 a tire so I save a few bucks and got what I needed.

#267117 - 14/09/01 06:33 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

LOL! His name is "Bababooie." laugh

As long as you got what you need and you're happy with your tires - that's the important thing! Choice is a good thing. I really dig the ATs too, but ended up with the TRXUS.

There were several times last winter (the Nor'easter over New Years for one) where I was driving in blizzard conditions with rather deep snow. I'd rather not go through that again with a stock tire! If you look at my site, you'll see a picture taking during that storm, actually. Hell, all the pictures with snow in them were during a Nor'easter! smile

#267118 - 14/09/01 11:16 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
bperry Offline

Now that you have em, you gotta try on the trail to see the real advantage. I like those side walls alot. I would have gotten those but I wanted a 15" wheel and a wider stance.

#267119 - 14/09/01 12:22 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Yeah... I'm anxious to try 'em out this weekend in knee deep mud. Heh. smile

Check the Interco site, there's a lot of different sizes...

#267120 - 14/09/01 11:25 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
bperry Offline

There is only one size for 15 inch rim. 31s are too small. They have a nice variety of 16 inchers. They don't have enough rubber for me.

#267121 - 17/09/01 11:37 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

FYI, for anyone considering this tire...

As a spare, it JUST fits underneath the Xterra with a receiver hitch on! If you don't have the hitch, even better!

As for performance, I really got to try these tires out at Shamokin, PA - and let me tell you, they totally, flat-out rock! The noise on the road is a barely audible din, and handle great even in the rain. Off-road is where these tires really shine. I took them over sharp rocks, gravel, sand and deep, funky mud without the slightest issue whatsoever. The sense of assurance and ability to perform are great as well.

I'm glad I got them, and many, many thanks to everyone listening to me piss and moan for the last year in my "perfect tire quest." :p

#267122 - 17/09/01 05:46 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
Xodus Offline

How necessary is it to have a matching spare? I couldn't really afford to get another tire so I figured i'd hold off until i had more money. I just figured if I every blew a tire out on the trail I wouldn't want to do anything other than just get home anyway. Will I end up really regretting this decision? confused

#267123 - 17/09/01 05:53 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
You want noise? TSL's will give you noise! Just ask any of the PNWX people who go wheeling with me! They can be 100 yds behind me and still here the tires over theirs!!! I sound like a damn B-17 in flight! But 3000 miles to GOX/Moab........never again! BFG AT's next year! laugh

-Rick

#267124 - 17/09/01 06:56 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Yeah, I'm not into noise... It's kinda cool for a while, but I do too much long distance driving on road to listen to that for long. The TRXUS is surprisingly (!) quiet and I'm happy with 'em. They make just enough hum to know they're there.

As for a matching spare, it's *highly* suggested, especially if you have an LSD rear-end. Otherwise you'd have to match the rear tires (perhaps by moving a front tire) and putting the spare up front, with 4wd OFF. it's a pain in the ass, and trust me - well worth it to have a matching spare. Think also, that if you're out on the trail - those tires got you there and you might just need them to get OUT of there. A stock tire might not make the trip and then you'll have TWO flat tires...

That happened, sort of, this past weekend at Shamokin!!!

#267125 - 18/09/01 09:56 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I would try and match the size, but not necessarily the brand/model if you're looking to save a few bucks. Go with an off-brand AT, or even a half-worn used tire of the same size. I found several used no-name MT tires when I was hunting for a spare. Used tires usually run in the $20s, probably including mounting.
No sense having a perfectly good expensive tire sitting under your bumper to dry-rot for the next few years.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#267126 - 18/09/01 09:56 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
Xodus Offline

Ok, guess i'll just have to take it a bit easy until i can get my spare. In the meantime, what exactly is an LSD rear end? I'm having "visions" of BP dealing drugs out of the back of his X... smile

Edit: Must have been posting simultaneously with OffroadX. I must say your suggestion sounds darn good!

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Xodus ]

#267127 - 18/09/01 10:30 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

LSD = "Limited Slip Differential."

Or, "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide" laugh

#267128 - 18/09/01 11:13 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
OffroadX Offline

Never understood why it isn't LAD instead...

Regardless, what else can make someone think, "How can one side of this piece of paper be more wrinkled than the other?"

laugh
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#267129 - 19/09/01 10:31 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
Xodus Offline

Bwahahaha got my new Trxus tires today!

I was just about to leave for school when in my rearview i saw the UPS man pull up. I asked (jokingly since i only ordered them Friday) if he had some tires for me and low and behold he did laugh! Well there's no way i could attend class under such circumstances so I went straight to the local tire place and had them installed.

Here are my initial impressions after just 1/2 day of street driving. Bear in mind I have never owned anything above an OEM tire before. I'll go into some detail since there have been a lot of posts from newbies asking about tires lately. Who knows, maybe they will wisen up and use the search function and stumble across this post from a fellow newbie. The tires i got were 31x10.5x15.

1) These things are totally badass ! I can't believe how great these tires look on the X and i can't wait to get them offroad.

2) I can't tell that these tires are much louder than the stock tires. Maybe i'm deaf, but I always thought the X was sorta loud anyway. Only if i concentrate enough can i convince myself they are louder.

3) They kind of jiggle the truck at low speeds. Like i said i am unfamiliar with agressive tires but I guess its the lugs walking or something.

4) The Trxus are a lot more "stiff" than the BFG LT's off the wheel. Now that they are on, I am wondering if they overinflated the Trxus. There seems to be very little bowing at contact area and no give when i kick them (yes i am very scientific in my measurements - i would get a PSI reader but i spent all my money on the tires instead :p). Or maybe its just that they are more solid?

5) The lettering sticks out further on one side of the tire. The brilliant installers managed to reverse one from the rest. Not sure if its worth going in and haggling over (i guess thats what you get for an $8/tire install).

6) No experience under weather conditions or offroad yet. Once i get some i'll post it. I think it would be a good idea for others to do so as well since i think these tires still carry some of that "the jury's still out" stigma.

7) Did i mention that these tires are badass ?!?!

A big thanks to XXXterra and BoarderPhreak for help when deciding on these tires and also with how to prepare my X for putting them on (i had to take the front mud flaps off and trim enough on the molding where they attach to lose 2 screw holes).

Man i'm stoked, and can't wait to put these things into action!

#267130 - 19/09/01 10:58 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
To answer number 4 for you.

The TRXUS have more plies to the sidewalls so they will be stiffer! I deflate my TSL's to 12 PSI off raod and they still look full inflated!

And number 3 is, Yes you are feeling the lugs hit the pavement!

-Rick

#267131 - 20/09/01 06:21 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Just wait till you get those suckers off road, that is when your love affair with the trxus will begin. Be prpared to scar the terrain and leave holes everywhere you go.

#267132 - 20/09/01 06:27 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Will these fit on a 15" rim? (Wish list is getting longer)

#267133 - 20/09/01 06:49 AM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Yeah, I agree - these tires kick ass. At low speed, the lugs do "bump" a little, but it's not an issue. They are stiffer all the way around than stock type tires. I inflate mine to the same pressure as the stock tires though - 34psi all the way around. I have yet to experiment to find the ideal pressure, though - but I've been happy. The spare is at 36psi, since it'll lose pressure over time, and this buys me a month or two before I have to check it again... wink

#267134 - 20/09/01 07:44 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
OffroadX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dayspring:
Will these fit on a 15" rim? (Wish list is getting longer)

The only 15" size so far is a 31x10.50, which will fit the X. The upcoming 15" sizes are even bigger and won't fit a stock X.
http://www.intercotire.com/trxus.htm

Brent

#267135 - 21/09/01 03:21 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
Xodus Offline

Well I mentioned that I thought the tires seemed a bit stiff. Then on the way to school this morning I became aware that i could feel every crack and peeble I drove over. So I stopped by Target to get a pressure stick and sure enough the tires were at 45 PSI! Needless to say this seemed a bit high, so I dropped them down to 32. The ride is 100x better. Thanks for the tip BP.

#267136 - 21/09/01 05:18 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Awesome!

Remember, that's my preference and may not be "mathematically correct" but that's what I've found to be a good pressure, at least on the stock tires. I've set my TRXUS to the same pressure, and I'll be experimenting from there. I may bump it up a bit, as in turns I can here the lugs screech a bit. Gotta see what the contact patch looks like in the daytime...

45psi was definately too high, though, IMO.

#267137 - 21/09/01 05:32 PM Re: TRXUS Set Installed!
jura Offline

Loc: Worcester, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Yeah, I'm not into noise... It's kinda cool for a while, but I do too much long distance driving on road to listen to that for long. The TRXUS is surprisingly (!) quiet and I'm happy with 'em. They make just enough hum to know they're there.

hrmm... interesting... just got my Trxus set on Monday... and they are LOUD (well... atleast compared to stock long trails smile... getting crappier gas mileage as well... but I love em anyways smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal