Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#267923 - 21/03/06 09:24 AM Yokohama tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, I'm new to the forum. Actually I'm from Argentina. I own an Xterra manufactured in Brazil, same as the once´s you had up to 2004 but with a diesel engine. last october I bought 4 Yokohama Geolandar AT+II from the local representative, made a trip up northwest, about 2,000 miles, of which 140 must of been of rubble road, 800 dirt, etc. Got back home, put back the Bridgestone Duelers HT that came with the Xterra and put the Yoko´s in the garage. I now went to put them back on for another trip and found that they have cuts on the inner side of the tread. Yoko`s Local rep says its OK/normal, took them to a Bridgestone rep and they said must of happened because the compound is too soft. In a local 4x4 forum I read that someone else had the same problem and again was told by Yoko no problem. The tires are sold with a five year guarantee. I´m attaching photos, what do you guys think? It´s the tire? or because I used them on a rubble road?. If its the tire what would normally happen in the US?

All the best

#267924 - 21/03/06 09:55 AM Re: Yokohama tires
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
It's hard to tell how deep they are from the pictures, but if the tire shop says it's okay... I guess it's okay...

"Five-year guarantee" hun? I wish they were guaranteed for that long here, too...

#267925 - 21/03/06 09:58 AM Re: Yokohama tires
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The tread's almost worn off anyway...might as well not worry about it.

laugh

I don't know of anyone here complaining about the compound being too soft, but the tires do get cut up on rough terrain...they're not really rough terrain type tires.

We typically use BFG AT ko's or other tougher treaded tire if the terrain dicatates.

That said...the cuts in the pics don't look serious...just superficial, and may not be worth worrying about either.

In short, I think you can do nothing, and come out OK.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#267926 - 21/03/06 11:45 AM Re: Yokohama tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some tire mfrs. have specs that spell out cut depth limits. For tread and side wall cuts. Might want to check on that. These specs do allow for the superficial cuts that happen.

PS show pics of your truck when you get time.

#267927 - 21/03/06 01:01 PM Re: Yokohama tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for feedback. Tread has only 5,000 Km. the photo must give the wrong impression. Some cuts are deeper than others, the Bridgestone guy says that the problem is that water gets in and will eventually deteriorate the steel belt.

I thought that all AT tires were for rough terrain. I`ve learnt the hard way.

Next time BFG´s.

#267928 - 21/03/06 01:06 PM Re: Yokohama tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a side note, Welcome! [Wave]

I think you are the first from Argentina. What many would give to have the diesel available in the US.......

#267929 - 23/03/06 12:34 PM Re: Yokohama tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the same tires and i abuse them pretty well. I even tow a trailer pretty long distances without any trouble. I personally love my Yokohamas. They grip in just about any weather and they clear mud quickly. Not to mention they are much cheaper and ride smoother and quieter than the BFGs do. I have not noticed any cracks in the tread like you have.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal