Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#270594 - 08/09/01 12:42 PM Stabilizer done right?
XXXTERRA Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ont. Canada
I just finished installing my Rancho steering stabilizer that I bought from SLR. The instructions included with the kit are not very good, but with the help of a fellow XOCer and a few e-mails here is what I came up with.
Is this a correct install?
I've driven it around the block and the wheel turns all the way both left and right. I mention that because I know a few people had to cut the end of the SS bolt in order to make right turns, I did not cut anything.

Please let me know if I did anything wrong. Thanks

#270595 - 08/09/01 12:55 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
So what on and off pavement improvements,differences have you noticed? Any negatives at all?

#270596 - 08/09/01 01:32 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I have that same stabilizer. U have it mounted backwards. the part that goes onto the frame should mount to the drivers side. The part connected to the steering linkage should go on the passanger side.

#270597 - 08/09/01 02:13 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
XXXTERRA Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chia:
I have that same stabilizer. U have it mounted backwards. the part that goes onto the frame should mount to the drivers side. The part connected to the steering linkage should go on the passanger side.

Do you mean the brass mounts are in the wrong place or the stabilizer itself is backwards? Should the red part be mounted to the U bolt bracket or the straight bracket?

#270598 - 08/09/01 04:10 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I would hazard a guess here and say "it really doesn't matter" which way you put it... wink

Looks sweet - I think I'm gonna get myself one of these as well. I spaced it when I picked up the shackles... Argh.

So how's she ride now? Probably a little hard to tell in day to day driving though... You'd have to drive over some nice sized bumps or pass a few trailer rigs on the highway to really feel it.

#270599 - 08/09/01 05:41 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
mr_omerta Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:

So how's she ride now? Probably a little hard to tell in day to day driving though... You'd have to drive over some nice sized bumps or pass a few trailer rigs on the highway to really feel it.

I live in Pothole City and I can tell a difference with my stabilizer on...

#270600 - 08/09/01 06:47 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Works for me... I have a lot of potholes around these parts too - I drive a battlefield to/from work every day. Long and windy, wide enough for 1.5 cars and about ten layers of patches. Beautiful amongst the shady trees but a bit rough - kinda poseur off-roading... smile

I've gotta get me one of these...

#270601 - 08/09/01 06:55 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Actually, the brackets are correct, but the shock should be reversed.

The lightest end of the shock should be supported by the relay rod, not the frame.

#270602 - 08/09/01 08:37 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
what does this thing do exactly? does it make it harder to turn the steering wheel or wear out the pwr steering pump?
first time i saw this was xtoolbox posting a pic of his years ago-well, year ago wink anyway, is it for kickback or something?

#270603 - 08/09/01 08:52 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Normal steering input is slow enough that it doesn't cause resistance (the fluid can flow through the shock fast enough) but if you get a sudden input from a hole or something, the shock acts "stiff" and doesn't allow the input to cause much kickback at all (the fluid can't flow fast enough). It's like drawing a syringe. If you pull slowly, it's easy, but if you yank, it's hard. The needle is like the valve in the shock, restricting the flow rate.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#270604 - 08/09/01 10:42 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Here are my comments from when I put my SS on a few months ago. (previously posted under the Arizona Forum)

"As advertised, it does a good job at reducing driver fatigue when traveling very bumpy, rocky or rutted trails, driving over curbs, etc. It drastically reduces the "wheel kick" that you feel in your steering wheel when hitting these types of things.

The steering performance hasn't changed for the worse in any aspect such as stiffer steering wheel turning, as the p/s pump still does the work for you when you begin a turn. I can see why they also advertise this item as a safety add on, since if you blow a front tire the immediate wheel spin would be drastically reduced.

I'm glad I've got this one done prior to adding the larger tires as these effects are more dramatic with larger tires. I wish I would have had this on during our Backroad to Crown King Xcursion as I felt I was fighting the steering wheel alot on that run.

I know steering stabilizers can be controversial for some, due to the non-mechanically inclined attempting to fix something they shouldn't with a stabilizer. When viewing different opinions on this type of mod, make sure you understand why people are doing it and therefore if there comments are justified. I would not recommend adding a s.s. to a truck to fix a wore out wobbly front end that is in need of tie rod ends, ball joints, idler arm, wheel bearings, etc., as you would only be masking a larger problem. However, for a stock XTERRA, or one that has been maintained well, it falls under my highly recommended mods. For the price, $80 including shipping, I find it well worth the money.

Installation time was about 20 minutes and it is one of the most simple bolt on mods that could be done by anyone. Just follow the instructions."

#270605 - 08/09/01 10:59 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I have my brackets on the opposite sides of the truck. Meaning the U-bolt bracket is on the passenger side. I followed the picture that was enclosed with the SS. Also, my SS is installed with the red part is attached to the S bolt.

Ian, can you tell me why this wrong? I went by the installation instructions.

#270606 - 08/09/01 11:14 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by DeFibVT:
Ian, can you tell me why this wrong? I went by the installation instructions.

Is it the Rancho kit ?

Maybe there is more than one design.
If my Rancho stabilizer kit were mounted like yours, the pitman arm would hit the shock at full left lock.

Regardless, it's better to have the heaviest part of the shock supported by the strongest (and non moving) mounting location. If the shock body is mounted to the frame, the shock doesn't have to deal with the weight and momentum of the shock body during the stroke, just the piston.

#270607 - 08/09/01 11:23 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
defibvt Offline

Yes it is the Rancho kit. Your theory makes perfect sense. Thanks for answer so quick.

Now where did I put that socket set.

I have not noiced the shock hitting the pitman arm. I will have to take a close look at that shock and see if that is happening. Thanks for the info.

#270608 - 08/09/01 11:51 PM Re: Stabilizer done right?
XXXTERRA Offline

Thank you very much all. I guess I'll be switching the stabilizer position later, however I did notice a difference already.

#270609 - 09/09/01 07:29 AM Re: Stabilizer done right?
defibvt Offline

Ian, I did a search last night and everywhere I looked the install instructions said to install the stabilizer in the position that I did and XXXTerra..I will have to look at that again.

#270610 - 09/09/01 08:08 AM Re: Stabilizer done right?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Steering stabilizers are worth their weight in gold, IMO...

On the race car, the VW Bug - I installed a KYB Gas-A-Just SS and the difference it makes over a stock one, worn one - or non at all is definately noticeable!

Glad to see that it works just as well on the X - I'm sold. smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal