Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#271573 - 26/05/05 11:42 AM Re: picture
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I used to take my lifted Cherokee to Livingston, KY some of the water crossings got to be just past my windows. I had the ARB snorkle and could drive all day long with water up to my chest as long as I siliconed all my electric. The X is different though because of height and well it's just plain better looking and I dont want to screw it up. If you silicone distributor caps and plug wires and make sure the truck can breath u are cool. A lot of people will put the air intake inside the cab to prevent hydrolock, but seems very hard to do on the X.

#271574 - 26/05/05 03:53 PM Re: picture
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
are there problems with water coming in through the doors?
Yes. Even if you are maintaining a constant speed, if the lower door seals are submerged, they will fail. They're not meant to waterproof your interior, more to stop air from rushing in I suppose. But, if the situation allows and you can have your windows up with the air on a while before the fording, a "pressure barrier" can be built up which will in fact retard the deluge of water. Not stop it, but keep it from coming in as quickly as it would've without that happening. And silicone around grommets in the firewall help, as well as spraying down the electric system too.
Bottom line is continual deep water crossing is hazardous to your vehicle, and it can and will F up your truck sooner or later in more ways than one.

#271575 - 26/05/05 04:47 PM Re: picture
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by ripcurl2151:
when you guys are in water like that (say up to the headlights), are there problems with water coming in through the doors?
Only if you lose momentum and get stuck. laugh

Stone

#271576 - 26/05/05 06:22 PM Re: picture
Anonymous
Unregistered

The comment about maintaining momentum is important. Enclosed objects tend to float and the buoyancy will reduce ground pressure, that stuff that keeps you stuck to the bottom and not being swept away by the current. The current at the bottom may be much faster than the surface conditions indicate and it can really rachet up the pucker factor when crossing something deep and feel the wheels begin to break loose and you begin to hope like heck the engine doesn't stall.

#271577 - 26/05/05 08:23 PM Re: picture
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
OK, this thread took off on a wild tangent. I have a stock (height) X with 32" tires. Here's a pic:

laugh

But seriously, here's the truck out of the water. Stock height, but I did crank the front up about 3/4 inch to level it:

#271578 - 27/05/05 07:39 PM Re: picture
Anonymous
Unregistered

Xorand: nice rig. Are those radial rover RVs? Any trouble getting them in the wheel wells? LSD or no?

#271579 - 16/06/05 10:00 PM Re: picture
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can anyone see the pics TJ posted (p.2)...i cant... just want to know if it is my computer or not..

#271580 - 20/06/05 08:00 AM Re: picture
Anonymous
Unregistered

sorry to go back to the water crossing subject, but has anyone had any trouble crossing water with an aftermarket intake? I have an AEM brute force and it came with a heat shield(which is installed) and it has a rubber piece on top which is flush with the hood, but it is open on the other 3 sides. i havent done any water crossing yet, and was just wondering if anyone had any problems.

#271581 - 20/06/05 09:00 AM Re: picture
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the K&N FIPK, and I have had some minor problems with water and mud. Try to construct a simple shield that will block the water from rushing in past the heat shield, that you can insert when you anticipate a water crossing. I used a piece of roofing flashing bent to block the bottom where most of the water will rush in. It won't keep it all out but will stop quite a bit of it. It helped me out a month ago when this pic was taken of me.

#271582 - 22/06/05 08:15 PM Re: picture
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, that is some grey slop you are going through there, 04xtse. Looks like really fine slity stuff. when running through that kind of mud, what kind of post-service do you so the bearings and such dont eat themselves?

#271583 - 23/06/05 06:32 PM Re: picture
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by copperlake:
Wow, that is some grey slop you are going through there, 04xtse. Looks like really fine slity stuff. when running through that kind of mud, what kind of post-service do you so the bearings and such dont eat themselves?
It wasn't as bad as it looks. Just a short distance through rushing water but there was a lot of mud in it. I don't do that that often to really have to worry about the extra maintenance required. Just normal maintainance and a lot of cleaning out the radiator with a hose.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal