Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#272078 - 16/06/08 10:09 PM Re: So, what tires to REALLY use for snowy roads?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
Go with the BFG AT's you won't be disappointed [ThumbsUp]
Honestly, that's exactly what I'm worried about. I don't like buying stuff blindly without knowing if it IS what I want or not. Tires have always been the worse thing for me, cause you can't just bring them back if your not happy, doesn't work that way, not for me anyway.

This coming winter will be my first winter with my Xterra, and it will be my first winter with a RWD vehicle, and I am a bit concerned. I've liternally driven FWD as all my daily drivers, with the exception of a few test drives and some track time with a Miata and Rx-8. So RWD is naturally different for me. By no means am I a bad or inexperienced driver cause I'd like to say that's quite the opposite. But with FWD and snow tires, the inherit benefits of that drivetrain layout had given me the utmost confidence in driving in bad weather where not only can't it pretty much not stop me, but I look forward to the worst that winter can dish out. I know off the bat that no matter what I'll have to change my driving style come winter with RWD, but although my X is a 4x4 model, but I don't want to have to rely on engaging 4HI everytime there's snow on the ground either.

Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
There's a big difference between a FWD"AWD" Escape and RWD Xterra there big guy.
In a sence, yes, but how I see it, and I may be wrong, but "tire+snow=traction" is the same no matter what vehicle the tires are on, no? The tires shouldn't care where the power is comming from.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to explain in a way that people can relate and correct me if need be.

#272079 - 17/06/08 08:36 AM Re: So, what tires to REALLY use for snowy roads?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
In a sence, yes, but how I see it, and I may be wrong, but "tire+snow=traction" is the same no matter what vehicle the tires are on, no? The tires shouldn't care where the power is comming from.
Having driven almost nothing BUT RWD for my 30+ years of driving, I can tell you that your equation is a bit off. It should be "tire+snow=lack-of-traction". It is true that the tire doesn't care where it is on a vehicle. It will either get grip or it won't. However, as stated, there's a big difference between FWD and RWD. With FWD, your traction wheels are under where most of the weight of the vehicle sits. That helps your traction greatly and why you have the confidence you have driving in bad weather. But with RWD, that exact opposite is true, your traction wheels (while in 2WD) is under the lightest part of the vehicle. That works against you getting traction (and explains why people with pick ups put weight in the back during the winter months). On dry pavement it's not a big deal. However, when you throw in snow and ice, you start losing traction quickly with RWD.

That all being said though, I agree with what everyone has said, the BFG AT/KO's are top picks. [ThumbsUp] You won't be disappointed with them. I put mine on (265/75R16's on my '03SE as well) late last winter (November/December I think) here in Michigan and was VERY pleased with them over the stock tires. I didn't realize how bad my stock tires really were. I've said in other threads that I used to gun my truck just a bit to get the back end to slip in the snow going around the block because it irritates my wife (just enough to get her to yell at me 'cause she doesn't like it wink ). With the new BFG AT/KO's, I couldn't GET it to slip under the same conditions! Really, these tires are great in snow. They also last a very long time from what I read and the fact that I got a 60K mile full replacement warranty. That's saying something with AT tires. Most AT's don't come with ANY warranty at all.

So, I hope this helps. You will notice a big difference between your FWD's and your X in the snow (while in 2WD). But, it's not like you will be in 4WD all the time either. It will take time, but you will learn what you can and can't do with it in 2WD. Remember to take it easy with the long-skinny pedal on the right! All in all, these are great trucks in the snow, even in 2WD! And while in 4WD, it can't be beat (my opinion).

-Gonzo

#272080 - 06/07/08 10:18 PM Re: So, what tires to REALLY use for snowy roads?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whoa this is an old thread. Never too early to start thinking about snow though.

"All trucks can go 70mph on these kind of roads no problem. Vehicles like it can handle this."

Glad someone will back me up here. :-P

(P.S....I don't live in Aspen anymore)

#493262 - 04/10/09 02:28 PM Re: So, what tires to REALLY use for snowy roads? [Re: Anonymous]
Nd4SpdSe Offline

Loc: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Actually what I ended up doing is getting a set of 31x10.5r15 Yokohama Geolander I/T winter tires. They worked great in the winter, and not bad for off-roading, not good for mud tho. This year I picked up a set of Goodyear MT/R kevlars in 32x11.5r15 with a 2"BLand PML. Those performed great on the trails. Should be giving them a another run in a few weeks.
- Titan Winches' Root Top Tent.
http://www.410motorsports.ca

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal