Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#273220 - 05/02/03 03:37 PM New SLR UCA's avaliable
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Never saw this posted before so figured I would throw this out. SLR came out with a new UCA that doesn't require a Diff lowering kit and they Guarantee alignments at any nissan dealer (or what?). Just thought I would throw that out to anyone that is still having problems with there current ones and getting a new set.

#273221 - 05/02/03 03:48 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
It looks like they bought some Calmini arms and drilled some holes in it and painted it gray.

While he's ripping off the design the least he could do is put some grease fittings in.

#273222 - 05/02/03 03:53 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
That is sad.

SLR can not do their own design so they are ripping off Calmini? Reminds me of how Ford ripped off the Xterra design to make the Escape. edited to add (although with Ford it was a little less obvious)

#273223 - 05/02/03 04:52 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Holy crap! Even the lower plate sticks out the same on the side and the cutout for the shock is almost the same! Same squeaky Delrin bushings too. Only thing different is the balljoints and now I think it's fairly safe to say that the greaseable balljoints can be used in the Calmini arms too. SLR does say that they ahve a grease zerk and poly bushing option. Wonder if the bushings are exactly the same size too?

You know, I actually remember SLR saying they were going to buy some Calmini UCA's so they could test them and compare them to theirs. Apparently they thought they were alright!

Well if there's something good to come out of this, maybe Calmini will come up with a fix for the squeaky Delrin bushings and keep their price the same as it is now. Would be really nice if they would send current owners the fix too (hint to Calmini!).

#273224 - 05/02/03 05:07 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
DGX Factor Offline

Actually, It would be nice to see a damn lift kit come out that makes a bigger difference off road than the current ones on the market. I just don't want to go through with buying one of these lifts and then upgrading If and when something comes out later. SLR rants and raves that the stage 4 and 5 will be out before long (however long that is), but there is a price obstacle for those of us that would like to use cash instead of credit. And Calmini is suggesting something is in the works, but no hints of what yet. I'd hope that once the SLR ones make it to the website that calmini will tease us with some pics of their new one. Well see. SLR, we would like to see you make your way back to this board too, so you can update us on things going on. Same with Calmini. I'm sure I am not the only one to notice the 2 companies have made there way off the board for whatever reasons (probably getting drilled hard), but its nicer to just come here and get all the info I need rather than call or keep emailing every month...

#273225 - 05/02/03 06:37 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
It's plainly obvious to me those are modified CALMINI arms.

My only conclusion is that SLR is trying to drum up business. If they get enough orders, he will have them manufactured, since there is no way he can make a profit by modifying and powdercoating CALMINI arms and reselling them.

I would assume he is also trying to damage CALMINI's reputation by advertising them as 'economy' arms.

#273226 - 05/02/03 06:48 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
[Laughing] Kids will be kids...

#273227 - 05/02/03 06:59 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
It's plainly obvious to me those are modified CALMINI arms.

My only conclusion is that SLR is trying to drum up business. If they get enough orders, he will have them manufactured, since there is no way he can make a profit by modifying and powdercoating CALMINI arms and reselling them.

I would assume he is also trying to damage CALMINI's reputation by advertising them as 'economy' arms.
Previous disagreements aside, I have to agree with you Ian. It is unbelievable that SLR would manufacture identical UCA's without the intent to take stabs at Calmini. It's unfortunate that SLR plays these games with Calmini. Both companies have a lot to offer; some different than others and I rely on both to meet my needs. It really disappoints me that these games are played. That said, I relaly do hope that Calmini offers a poly bushing for their arms so I can put grease zerks in. Speaking of which; I'm not sure how SLR can justify $25 each for the zerks! Owe!

#273228 - 05/02/03 09:58 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
Aero Steve Offline

ChuckH,
I reused the ball joints that came with my SLR arms when I swapped to Calmini arms. I sent the ball joints that came with the Calmini to the buyer of my old SLR arms. Either ball joint is a replacement for a D21 balljoint so there is no problem mixing parts.

I'm guessing the zerk option would be greaseable alignment bolts and washers. I can't see them kitting it as an option otherwise. If it's in the arms, $25 is ridiculous for drilling more holes and throwing in a baggy of zerks.

I'm ready for Spencer to grow up and stop slamming competitors and their customers. Since I had my issues with SLR and voiced them here, I've been getting emails from other dissatisfied customers and potential buyers. Sorry Spencer, I've been open with them and I know it's cost you customers. After my ordeal, shocks are about all the members in my club are willing risk buying.

#273229 - 05/02/03 10:44 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
DGX Factor Offline

I'm with ya Steve! And yes, I did get the shocks and will continue to.

#273230 - 06/02/03 12:21 AM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
i posted in manufacturers row... not seeing this here...

mine was phrased much more tactfully... hopefully spencer can answer some of our questions about these

#273231 - 06/02/03 03:28 AM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
XOC Offline
Admin

I deleted that thread.

What makes you think they will bother answering ? They haven't posted here (or anywhere) in months.

I have terminated their advertising contract with XOC for unethical business practices (and this isn't the only instance).

#273232 - 06/02/03 06:34 AM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
All I can say is.....

Hmmmm.....shit.

I know I have had "discussions" with folks here about SLR's steering vs. Calmini's, but, in this instance, I feel that this obvious an infringement is too much. I won't even speculate as to the thought process going on with this new offering. Would be interesting if SLR would post as to their thinking behind this.

[Freak] confused

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#273233 - 06/02/03 09:39 AM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
confused Wow. confused eek [Huh?] This looks like another classic example of some kid [Crybaby] trying to run Daddy's business into the ground... [Finger]

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#273234 - 06/02/03 09:49 AM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
DGX Factor Offline

Ouch.

#273235 - 06/02/03 01:12 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
SLR Offline

Hello and good day to all.

Thank you for your comments and feedback on SLR's Econ Line upper control arms. We have major plans to expand our market and broaden our Nissan line to include economical products to full race-bred products.

You will see many new thoroughly tested products in motor, handling, and traction that are economical but functional in an unpredictable day and age. We feel the need to pass down our vast Nissan heritage in all markets. Our Econ Line has just launched and will only expand.

DGX Factor:

You ask why we never post on XOC?

The constant bad-mouthing by a handful of members. XOC, Carlton McMillan, and Aero Steve have nothing good to say about SLR. I'm accused of “slamming competitors” and drilling holes and re-powdercoating. We have a new line of products. It's all about “market control” and I'm a Nissan-only parts manufacturer. I have a passion for the Nissan line. I'm called a child – yes, there will be many years to come for Nissan performance parts for all markets. I have set a goal to offer the widest, most complete selection of technologically advanced, designed, and thoroughly tested proven parts available today for the late model Nissan 4x4. I will continue to hear bad-mouthing about my products, but I will talk back with new products.

We are full production on our new Econ Line. If the Anti-SLR Clan would like to supply SLR with an upper control arm patent, then we will stop production. Again, we are in an open market. I'm catering to the entire Nissan line. Enjoy my new Econ prices and development.

Thanks for the feedback. We have many years and products to come.
Happy Trails >>>SLR

#273236 - 06/02/03 01:36 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
Aero Steve Offline

SLR,
How do you do the grease fitting in the arms? I have a squeaking problem with the Calmini's and would like to know how you solved it with your arms.

Edited to add: I wasn't always critical of SLR. Customer support and problems with your parts turned me into one.

#273237 - 06/02/03 02:40 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by SLR:
The constant bad-mouthing by a handful of members. XOC, Carlton McMillan, and Aero Steve have nothing good to say about SLR.
Why should I have anything good to say ?

Your products fail, and you offer no support.
Your products are overpriced.
You steal designs from other companies.
You steal copyrighted material from other companies.
You mock other companies.

Please explain why I should have anything but a complete lack of respect for you or your company.

#273238 - 06/02/03 03:43 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
Todrick Offline

well i guess this was inevitable:

this is the top of the line one... the kits start in the $700's, this one pictured is $999

More info

#273239 - 06/02/03 06:16 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SLR:
Hello and good day to all.

I have set a goal to offer the widest, most complete selection of technologically advanced, designed, and thoroughly tested proven parts available today for the late model Nissan 4x4. I will continue to hear bad-mouthing about my products, but I will talk back with new products.

Happy Trails >>>SLR
New products? [Spit] It is flattering to Calmini that you copied (some might say stole) the design, but to say that SLR "designed" that part would certainly be a stretch. I wonder what the econo-steering will look like? Your practices thus far have been less than honorable and though I may have considered purchasing products that you have developed; I no longer care to. I will instead purchase my products from the true innovators and creators. I wish I could say that I wished you luck in your business endeavors, but it would be a waste of breath. How can you continue to be successful with the tasteless and crude policies that you have chosen to adopt. You have the stones, now all you need is a sense of morality to go with them. [Laughing] Happy Trails to you as well... [LOL] :rolleyes:

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#273240 - 06/02/03 09:07 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
Stormtrooper Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, I know I'll get flamed for this but...

I was looking for a board that PROMOTED the Nissan experience. Obviously this one is to promote bashing. All the radicals: See ya. Everyone else that likes to see comments that don't intentionally bash a legitimate companies: I'll see you on the more rational boards.

Until I see some patents, it's a manufacturers market.

PAW

#273241 - 06/02/03 09:26 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormtrooper:
I was looking for a board that PROMOTED the Nissan experience.
XOC does promote the Nissan experience, it does not however promote unethical business practices.

Hurry back to the other board now so you can continue to try and convince yourselves that stealing this design is OK.
[Wave]

(and please get the NOR gang to chip in some money and buy Pikachu a copy of 'Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing', it's painful to try and decipher what he's saying)

#273242 - 06/02/03 10:45 PM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
Todrick Offline

LOL, just couldnt pass up the pikachu jab could ya [Laughing]

#273243 - 07/02/03 01:58 AM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
XOC Offline
Admin

It was very difficult to read, and a common sign of someone in a hurry trying to get something posted, I see it on a lot of message boards.

The discussion over there is flawed anyway. Nobody copied EOE's products, rectangular rocker guards have been around for a decade, the same with aftermarket tie-rods and idler arm braces.

There are lots of similar products on the market, but nothing that is such a blatant rip-off design as SLR has done with these upper control arms.

It's pathetic and sad.

I will agree these are newly manufactured parts. If you look at the light reflection below the large hole on each arm, you will see it changes, as if the radius is slightly different. That would happen if the hole was made before bending the steel, not drilling it afterwards.

#273244 - 07/02/03 02:42 AM Re: New SLR UCA's avaliable
Todrick Offline

i am well aware of hurrying a post smile
but i do remember pika for doing it often.

funny you say they claim people are ripping off EOE sliders...

the first sliders i remember being mentioned on the un-board and yahoo were the "boulder bars" custom made for a couple members of SCCX.... and yes they were rectangular... and yes EOE's look VERY similar... but then again just how different can sliders get?

UCA's on the other hand...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal