Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#275047 - 08/10/03 08:27 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Much appreciated, Benny. I may as well take care of it now since I have spare time on my hands.

#275048 - 08/10/03 09:43 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
Figures this would come after I replaced my cracked one and am now sitting in Iraq. Oh well, Nissan has been pretty helpful and understanding regarding my other military related troubles. Maybe I can have my cracked one put on my spare and then get them to change all 5.

#275049 - 15/10/03 06:36 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
I called the dealer and they had to make a few calls but said OK to all 5 wheels.
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#275050 - 15/10/03 08:53 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
My Xterra was manufactured in June of 1999, earlier than the recall date.

3 out of 4 of my wheels show cracks. Nissan needs to investigate this further.

#275051 - 15/10/03 08:59 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
That worries me - I bought mine in August 1999.

#275052 - 16/10/03 09:14 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
PaulsX Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, Va.
Just got mine replaced yesterday. smile hehe nice and shiny I like them much better than the regular alloys..

I got a hassle from the local dealership, but got taken care of immediately at another one a few miles further. More on that in the "Dealerships" section.
97 GS-T

#275053 - 29/10/03 11:42 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
gator9696 Offline

Hey Guys and Gals...I've been lurking around here for a couple years, but thought that I would add some possibly helpful to those of us that had cracked wheels. I don't think that it is a problem just with the 2000 X's because mine is an '01 that had the same problem.(06/01 manufacture date) I took it into the dealership(Coggin-Jacksonville, FL) for the free vehicle inspection during Oct. and showed the asst. service manager the cracked wheel. He informed me that they had a recall on the '00 but would look into the '01 as well. Shows up that there is no "bulletin" out for the '01 XE wheels, but he contacted the claims department and was told that he could cover the 1 rim that was cracked under the "Goodwill" program. He took pics of the rim and sent it to corporate and would have them look more into the problem. So my suggestion to all of us that have cracked rims is to take it into the dealership and have them send pics to the corporate office. Even if they are unwilling to replace the wheel at that time corporate might offer a more comprehensive recall down the line for more years after enough of us "inform" them of the problem.

BTW...this was the second time that I went into the dealership and showed them the crack...both times were after the 3yr/36,000 warranty expired. The first time they didn't want to cover the wheel because I had passed the "bumper-to-bumper warranty". So, I didn't want to fork over the cash, cause I felt that there was a problem with them. Since then, they recalled the '00 wheels now they need to extend it to all XE wheels.

Glad that Nissan offers free vehicle inspections and that I waited and checked again. smile Unfortunately, they wouldn't cover the leaking foglamps...but I want to upgrade them anyway...any suggestions? cool

#275054 - 01/11/03 07:00 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

So.... I'm still not clear on whether I'm getting a new STLYE of wheel, or if they will look like my originals, just new. I have the standard 2000 4WD "bright" (not shiny) alloy wheel. Can anyone VERIFY that they got 2000 wheels, or newer-than-2000 model wheels?????

#275055 - 01/11/03 07:30 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Nut Offline

Loc: Calif
Quote:
Originally posted by TheSignFreak:
So.... I'm still not clear on whether I'm getting a new STLYE of wheel, or if they will look like my originals, just new. I have the standard 2000 4WD "bright" (not shiny) alloy wheel. Can anyone VERIFY that they got 2000 wheels, or newer-than-2000 model wheels?????
IF your vehicle is included in the Recall you will be getting the exact style wheel you currently have since you have an SE. Only the XE owners will be getting a slightly different wheel (same style, just polished aluminum vs. dull aluminum looking).

#275056 - 03/11/03 06:34 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Street X Offline

If it wasn't for the forum, I would of never known of the recall because I didn't get a notice from Nissan. I called a Nissan dealer, and my X is part of the recall. Thanks. Anyone know where to look to see what mailing address they have for us? Also, anyone know if the center cap is the same for the 2000 XE and SE wheel?

#275057 - 04/11/03 07:34 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yes, same cap.
I would call 1-800-NISSAN-1 to verify the address on file that is associated with your VIN.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#275058 - 04/11/03 06:42 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
This will get interesting.

I called George Harte Nissan in CT to verify my appointment for the wheel replacement. There's no record of me having one (?), so I make a new one. I ask if the wheels are ordered, and I get "We need to inspect each wheel to see if it's cracked. We only replace the cracked ones".

WTF? That's not the way the recall is worded.

OK, you dumb ass at George Harte Nissan, read this:

THE WHOLE POINT IS TO REPLACE THE WHEELS BEFORE THEY CRACK AND KILL PEOPLE.

I may end up in jail after this experience. mad

#275059 - 19/11/03 03:48 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroKen:
OK, you dumb ass at George Harte Nissan, read this:

THE WHOLE POINT IS TO REPLACE THE WHEELS [b]BEFORE
THEY CRACK AND KILL PEOPLE.

I may end up in jail after this experience. [/b]
Ken, what happened? Did they replace all the wheels?

Others, has anyone been able to keep one as a spare.

#275060 - 21/11/03 07:31 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got a call yesterday from my local nissan dealer about the recall. Shot mine over there straight away, gonna wonder over there later and see what the situation is. My tracking needed done so once I get it back I'll see if I can have them do the tracking FOC too! lol. Dealer thought my 60k mile 2000 looked like it only had 20k miles, thank you Mer Car polish for that one. Shame I can't find the stuff in US stores and have to get my English friends to ship the stuff over to me. Anyway - I'll post a pic of the replacements, kinda hoping they are the same as I thought the original wheels looked bad ass, seems to be alot of conflicting 'Yes they are the same' and 'No they are different' kinda stuff going on in here. If they aren't the same then Brown & Brown Nissan in Mesa, AZ are gonna have 1 unhappy customer - unless of course I like the new ones better! lol. This dealership btw. has been awesome so far.

#275061 - 21/11/03 09:47 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I was at the dealer this morning for an oil change, tire rotation and exhaust manifold check (I think its cracked).

I just happened to be chatting with the service rep and I mentioned the Rim Recall. He looked it up, and a the system flagged my VIN as a possible check. They will look into it and call me back.

So I get to work, and check this thread and low and behold.... My truck has a build date of Dec/2000. Smack in the middle of th recall period. So I guess I am getting new rims laugh . That's great, considering is scratched this set at my last off-roading trip.

I wonder if they will hand out new centercaps too? I am missing one of those.

#275062 - 21/11/03 10:02 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
xterra2k Offline

Loc: Cin city, Oh.
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroKen:
This will get interesting.

"We need to inspect each wheel to see if it's cracked. We only replace the cracked ones".

THE WHOLE POINT IS TO REPLACE THE WHEELS [b]BEFORE
THEY CRACK AND KILL PEOPLE.
mad [/b]
My first call to the dealer went the same.
But they ordered the 4 rims just in case.
I looked over the recall (campain as they call it) and the wording is not "inspect" but replace. So I printed everything off that I could find. I also showed them my Nissan offical notice and very quickly they changed their mine. I also referred to the firestone recall and not all the replaced tires where damaged.

But they would not, could not give me the old rims. They even said that nissan is spending a rep around to look at them. They do get a big V cut into them. It can't hurt to ask.

#275063 - 21/11/03 10:04 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
also what if you have an XE... i know I'd be pissed to have 3 SE wheels and one XE if in fact they only replace the cracked ones.

#275064 - 21/11/03 01:27 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got mine back from the dealer, same wheels just maybe slightly darker, I had to wipe them as I thought there was brake dust on them as they looked a deeper grey than the old ones. Same style - perfect! smile Kudos to Brown & Brown my local dealer who called me - not me calling them and bugging them about the recall.

New Wheels pics:
http://www.rinky.us/xterra1.jpg
http://www.rinky.us/xterra2.jpg

#275065 - 21/11/03 10:43 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Nut Offline

Loc: Calif
The campaign is to REPLACE ALL 4 WHEELS, not inspect, polish turn over or whatever some B.S. that a dealer may be giving you.

The replacement rims are all the same, ie. polished SE style. If you got a XE then you get 4 polished SE style rims.

The dealer is supposed to damage the rim to the point of not ever being able to use it again, ie. you don't get the old ones back for any reason. A very high liability factor.

As far as second hand rims, there is a production date on the inside of the rim to indicate when THEY were made. Would require dismounting the tire from the rim to see the date. If Nissan could tell you if the rims are part of the campaign or not is a crap shoot without the original VIN of the vehicle they were on.

#275066 - 23/11/03 12:16 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Iced X Man Offline

Loc: Virginia
Stopped buy my local Nissan dealership w/ my handy recall notice that I recieved last week and set up an appointment. Just so happens I purchased tires Friday. They're going to mount my new tires on my new rims for no charge. Perfect timing. :p

#275067 - 23/11/03 12:38 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
I still haven't gotten a notice. I was at the dealer yesterday, and asked if it mattered if they were on the truck or not - it doesn't (at least to this dealer). So bonus for me! I don't have to remount them before I get them replaced. (Easier for them, too.)
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#275068 - 25/11/03 08:05 AM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
I hate the entire car dealership experience. I hated it from the inside and it's even worse from the outside. The motorcycle dealership I worked at was somehow different. The employees actually gave a shit.

Tomorrow I go back to the Nissan shop and I'm supposed to get my new wheels (finally). One of two things will be true tomorrow night:

a) I'll have 4 new wheels.

b) You'll see me on the evening news.

11/26, THE FINAL CHAPTER

When I got to the dealership this morning they discovered that one of the four wheels in stock was damaged. I could feel that "postal" feeling coming on. It was the parts manager who stepped up to the plate and pulled the situation back from the edge. He sent someone to another dealer and bought one of their wheels. I now have 4 new wheels with new 31" Revos on them.

Thanks to Jeff for proving to me that only some of the people at George Harte Nissan suck.

#275069 - 25/11/03 01:02 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
As I type this, my truck is at the dealership having the wheels replaced. I guess I got abit lucky as I just happened to be driving by yesterday and stopped in to ask if they had a waiting list for the recall. Turned out they had one extra set, so I set up the appointment for today.

I sure do wish I had spare money sitting around because they had a LeMans Sunset 350Z Roadster 6-sp on the lot. They even had a black Roadster 6-sp there, which was surprising because every other Roadster AND Coupe I've seen there over the last few months (probably 15 total) were autos.

#275070 - 07/01/04 12:56 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm a newbie. I just purchased my 2000 X used, how would I be able to tell if I had the alloy or steel wheels? Do they look different?

#275071 - 07/01/04 02:03 PM Re: 2000 alloy wheel recall
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Easiest way is that the alloys have 4 spokes, steel have 6 spokes.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal