Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#281714 - 07/04/03 08:59 PM Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
XmtbX00 Offline

Loc: Denver
I installed my Calmini lift this past weekend. Within 50 miles the front dropped almost 3 inches (which I sort of expected) Now it's dropped close to 2 inches (I expected more settling but this seems like alot). I'm just wondering how many adjustments are normal before they finally settle in? I need an allignment but I don't want to get it done until it's done settling.

Also the rear with Calmini shackles and AAL's is higher than I would like. I really don't carry much weight back there so how long does it take for the rear springs to settle, and how much can I expect?

Thanks,
Ron

#281715 - 07/04/03 09:09 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
3" in one day seems like a lot to me. Are you saying it dropped the 3 inches from the time you had the lift installed *and* had the front end lifted where you wanted it?

If so, that doesn't sound right unless you had soft, stock t-bars and just ran it through the Rubicon Trail.

Sounds to me like you need to re-index the tbars and get it back to where you want it.

Mine settled a total of about 2" over a couple of months, but nothing a few turns of the adjuster screws couldn't fix.

In my opinion, once you have the alignment you're good to go (until you really whack it good offroad, that is). If it settles an inch and you raise it back an inch (exactly), almost nothing has really changed. I've got 85k miles and quite a few offroad trips on my lifted X w/ 32's and I've only have one alignment done - and yes, my tires are/have been wearing great. smile

#281716 - 07/04/03 09:15 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by XmtbX00:
Within 50 miles the front dropped almost 3 inches (which I sort of expected) Now it's dropped close to 2 inches (I expected more settling but this seems like alot). I'm just wondering how many adjustments are normal before they finally settle in? I need an allignment but I don't want to get it done until it's done settling.
That sounds like way too much sag to me. I've got SAW t-bars, and they took 6 months to sag about 2 inches, and that seemed like too much.

#281717 - 07/04/03 09:52 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
I just installed my Calmini lift this weekend also and I noticed the same thing. It dropped 3 inches on me the first day, reindexed and cranked em back up, dropped another 3 inches, reindexed and cranked back up. I did give mine a good workout the first day though down in the Wildomar OHV. Drove around for about 3 hours getting full articulation out of the system so I was expecting them to settle some but not that much. I'll see if it happens again. If it does I'm going to give Steve a call tomorrow and see what the deal is. I know I've got a little extra weight up there with their bumper and an XD9000i but I thought that these new T bars were designed for that.

#281718 - 07/04/03 10:44 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
are these common for calmini's lift? how long has it taken for others' calmini lifts to settle and stop fluctuating?

#281719 - 08/04/03 07:58 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Maybe a dumb question (but no one else here has asked)

But since your front seems to be dropping a lotr, I have to wonder - After you crank the T-bars, did you tighten the locking nut to prevent the adjuster bolt from backing down.

That would appear to the problem, anyways

#281720 - 08/04/03 08:06 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Axle Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockaholic:
Maybe a dumb question (but no one else here has asked)

But since your front seems to be dropping a lotr, I have to wonder - After you crank the T-bars, did you tighten the locking nut to prevent the adjuster bolt from backing down.
Yes

#281721 - 08/04/03 08:18 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
XmtbX00 Offline

Yes the locknut was tightened on both sides on my X too.

#281722 - 08/04/03 08:28 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Hmm I have the calmini t-bars and bumper and have had no settling yet. I keep hoping it does as I cranked them higher than I wanted in the hopes they would settle.

#281723 - 08/04/03 08:30 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
XmtbX00 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyx:
3" in one day seems like a lot to me. Are you saying it dropped the 3 inches from the time you had the lift installed *and* had the front end lifted where you wanted it?

If so, that doesn't sound right unless you had soft, stock t-bars and just ran it through the Rubicon Trail.

Sounds to me like you need to re-index the tbars and get it back to where you want it.

Mine settled a total of about 2" over a couple of months, but nothing a few turns of the adjuster screws couldn't fix.

After installing the lift I adjusted the Calmini T-bars to a 1/4" between the A-arm and bump stop anticipating some settling. The front end then dropped close to 3" within 50 miles. Read stinkbug [Freak] I re-adjusted the T-bars and drove about 50 more miles and now the front end is about 2 inches too low. I'm going to re-adjust them tonight and see what happens.

This seems a bit severe after reading some of the posts above, I wonder if the T-bars are possibly defective. I'm sure my T-bars are from the same batch as Axle.

Axle please post back here how your T-bars hold up after your next adjustment. Thanks.

Ron

#281724 - 08/04/03 08:32 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
XmtbX00 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xman6:
Hmm I have the calmini t-bars and bumper and have had no settling yet. I keep hoping it does as I cranked them higher than I wanted in the hopes they would settle.
This is crazy, there must be an issue with this batch of bars. How can one set not settle at all and then two others drop 3" and then 2" within two day?

#281725 - 08/04/03 09:50 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Kinetic Offline

Loc: Bristol, Tn
Are you sure the splines in your t-bar anchors arent stripped?

#281726 - 08/04/03 10:36 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Paul H Offline

I agree seems weird one set will settle and one set will not. Wonder if a bad batch somehow got thrown in the kits and those who buy them seperate get a different set. Just thinking outloud

#281727 - 08/04/03 10:41 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
so your guys' xterras are literally dropping back to stock height? is this just the front w/ the t-bars or does this happen w/ the aal's?
how long will it do this until it finally sets?

#281728 - 08/04/03 11:55 AM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
XCETRA Offline

Loc: Utah
I think you should check your splines, some people have had an issue with various t-bars settling earlier, however you should also check and make sure you installed them correctly. Right and left and front to back. Also you have to verify how far you put it into the anchor the splines should not stick out on the t-bar more than I think 1/4" (someone correct me if I am wrong here) Also make sure you did not cross thread your threads on the adjustment bolt.

#281729 - 08/04/03 12:01 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Paul H Offline

Well the calmini's do not have front to back or left to right specific ones. They become left or right when you first put the load on them. Then you do not want to switch them.

Maybe the fact that I have no lift on mine is the reason mine have not settled. While they are cranked a bit higher than stock right now nothing near the extra needed for the complete lift. Hmm very interesting indeed.

Wasnt off2cjb also one without a lift that had settling issues?

#281730 - 08/04/03 12:13 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
XmtbX00 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XCETRA:
I think you should check your splines, some people have had an issue with various t-bars settling earlier, however you should also check and make sure you installed them correctly. Right and left and front to back. Also you have to verify how far you put it into the anchor the splines should not stick out on the t-bar more than I think 1/4" (someone correct me if I am wrong here) Also make sure you did not cross thread your threads on the adjustment bolt.
The splines are showing no more than 1/4" in both end for each side. The adjustment bolt was not cross threaded either, I was able to thread the nut on with my fingers until snug. As noted above there are no left/right specific with Calmini T-bars until a load is placed on the bars. The problem (if there really is a problem) seems to be with the bars themselves. I will adjust the height again tonight and see if they settle noticeably again. If they do I'm calling Calmini.

Ron

#281731 - 08/04/03 12:41 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Axle Offline

Well the last adjustment I cranked them all the way to the bumpstops expecting a little more settling. I've done some driving around a bit today and they seem to have settled a little bit. There is about 1/2" now between the bumstops and the control arm. If it stays like this I'll be happy. I'll post again later on whether or not they stay or sag some more.

#281732 - 08/04/03 05:00 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
off2cjb Offline

I don't have a lift per say, but I have Calmini's UCA's installed upfront and I also have their torsion bars.

I just cranked them up again to with 1/2" between bump stop and UCA's and within 1 week it dropped almost 1" again.

Yes, the locking nut is tight. Yes there is no more than 1/4" of splines showing. Someone mentioned that they should be installed right to left, front to back...I thought that didn't matter until after they were installed. Maybe these bars are shorter than the previous versions.

#281733 - 08/04/03 08:47 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
mattL Offline

hold up, so whats the point of getting a 3" lift if its gunna drop 3". Has anyone else had this prob b/c i was gonna order the calmini kit but if it does this then i dunno if im still interested. How much is it even supposed to settle in at.

#281734 - 08/04/03 08:54 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Axle Offline

You'll still get your 3" of lift, you just may have to crank your torsion bars back up a few times untill they settle in. Mine seem to have stopped but I'm going to wait another day or two before making a final judgement.

#281735 - 08/04/03 08:56 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I have had no problems (SAW bars though) with Calmini's lift. It's been on well over a year now.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#281736 - 08/04/03 09:36 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
mattL Offline

so after u cranked up the torsion bars a few times it settled in and u got the 3" of lft or will it settle in a little bit lower than 3"

Thanks Matt

#281737 - 08/04/03 09:58 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
Paul H Offline

You will get three inches just seems some of the t-bars need more time to settle.

#281738 - 08/04/03 10:23 PM Re: Lift installed - T-bar/AAL questions
mattL Offline

oh ok thanks man

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal