Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#282547 - 05/03/04 04:21 PM What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2002 4x4 SE with the stock 16" on it. What tire do u guys recommend for me. I want them to look mean but sound good and be an all around tire.

#282548 - 05/03/04 04:24 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A good looking tire that is reasonably priced is the Nitto Terra Grappler. It is much cheaper than the BFG's and they look cool. I know lots of people on a truck site that have used these with much happiness. I'm not sure if I would like them in a narrower application though. I'm used to seeing them in a 12.5" width. I think they look cooler when they are wider.

#282549 - 05/03/04 04:26 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyone have a pic of them or somewhere that i can see those?

#282550 - 05/03/04 04:29 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
265/75R16 Trxus look good, sound fine, and I liked them for street driving. Only problem is I haven't gotten a lot of mileage out of them.

#282551 - 05/03/04 04:38 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

BFG AT/KO. Nice aggressive sidewall - and a great all around tire.

#282552 - 05/03/04 05:29 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
FWIW, I will be switching to the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo next fall for my winter tires. I believe they are currently the best A/T in terms of onroad performance and that's what I need them for.

So, I guess what you need to tell us is what kind of driving you do? Obviously if you just want something that looks cool then a mud tire is the way to go, but it hardly makes sense if all you do is drive to the mall.

My basic tire buying rules:

1) Always buy a tire according to what type of use it will mostly see. Don't buy an M/T if you are driving on the street 90% of the time and never if you have to drive on snow covered and icy roads.

2) Always buy tires mostly used on the street according to traction ratings in dry, wet, snow, and ice, and according to noise and tire drag.

3) Never buy tires based on tread life. Most of the time you give up precious traction to get more miles out of a tire. Good grip, my safety, and the safety of those who ride with me is more important than an 80,000 mile tread warranty.

4) Never buy off brand tires.

5) Never expect good onroad performance from the coolest looking offroad tires.

#282553 - 05/03/04 06:45 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im on the road street all the time but i want something thats big enough to fit my wheel well.

Things I am looking for.

1. Biggest Tire
2. Quiet
3. Looks Mean
4. Fits Stock 2002 SE

#282554 - 05/03/04 07:11 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're on the street and never go offroad the Bridgestone Revo is the best...period...but it does not look that "cool"....The BFG AT/KO is the best A/T tire for offroad use and looks a bit cooler, but if you are going to do any kind of offroading a maximum traction or M/T is the way to go. I am running the Goodyear MT/R 265/16/75...they fit the stock rim, do not rub at all, stock, and are excellent off road. They also look wicked cool. On road they are loud and stiffened up the ride quite a bit. You just have to decide, I guess, Is it better to look good than to feel good???

#282555 - 05/03/04 10:39 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Abt:
If you're on the street and never go offroad the Bridgestone Revo is the best...period...but it does not look that "cool"....The BFG AT/KO is the best A/T tire for offroad use and looks a bit cooler, but if you are going to do any kind of offroading a maximum traction or M/T is the way to go. I am running the Goodyear MT/R 265/16/75...they fit the stock rim, do not rub at all, stock, and are excellent off road. They also look wicked cool. On road they are loud and stiffened up the ride quite a bit. You just have to decide, I guess, Is it better to look good than to feel good???

#282556 - 05/03/04 10:40 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks rick.

#282557 - 06/03/04 09:09 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Look is a very subjective thing. Personnaly, I like a mud terrain for looks, but would not spec them for your situation. Great tires for you application are...Dueler AT revo, Nitto Terra Grapler, BFG ATs, Pro Comp ATs, Toyo has an AT similar to the Revo too. These are all good tires for you application, check them out. If they don't look like you want, and you don't mind a loss of ride and street/wet/snow/ice traction...BFG MTs, Goodyear MT/Rs, Firestone Destination MTs.

Size wise, 265/75-16s are the biggest you can go without trimming and the like. This is about the equivalent to a 32" in size, if you're familiar with that format. I have been debating about weather to go from a 31 to a 32 on my next purchase, but don't know about the power loss. I am at about 6000ft, so every little bit helps. I just don't know if it would be significant enough to worry about. Don't know where you are at, but this is something to think about too...

#282558 - 06/03/04 10:02 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
with tires, it's always good to plan ahead. do you offroad often, and even if you DON'T, you might later on. alot of people on this board will agree that they caught the offroad bug gradually and have regrets (getting 4x4, tires) later on.

i say get the dueler revos for now. they look pretty cool in my opinion but are cheaper and better on the street than bfg ko's.

if you plan on wheeling and willing to spend a little more, go w/ the bfg ko's. awesome tire and i will probably be getting them again.

#282559 - 07/03/04 03:48 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey Clapto those BFG's look great and they are the 265/75R-16's? and how much did they cost and where did u get them at? [ThumbsUp]

#282560 - 07/03/04 05:03 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

does anyone have a pic of the 265/75R-16 Pirelli Scorpions on their x? im stuck between them and the BFG All Terrain T/A KO's..thanks [ThumbsUp]

#282561 - 07/03/04 05:29 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
ChuckH Offline

If you can afford them, get the BFG's. The Scorpion has better street traction than the BFG, but that's about where the positives end. From what I've seen, the BFG has superior quality control and is a more sturdy tire. I have the Scorpions and love the wet and dry traction, but I've had more quality control problems with this one set than I've had with all the tires on all the vehicles I've ever owned.

I still think the Bridgestone Dueler Revo is the absolute best tire for your application.
Reports indicate that it has even better wet and dry traction than the Scorpion, better snow and ice traction, less noise, better wear characteristics, and surely fewer quality control issues.

#282562 - 07/03/04 05:42 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
Originally posted by Black2002X:
hey Clapto those BFG's look great and they are the 265/75R-16's? and how much did they cost and where did u get them at? [ThumbsUp]
4 tires, mount and balanced for $630, or around there.

#282563 - 08/03/04 09:15 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will have to say I am still a fan of my Yokohamas. About 10k miles on them now and still great on and off the pavement.

#282564 - 08/03/04 11:37 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
If you're on the street and never go offroad the Bridgestone Revo is the best...period...but it does not look that "cool"....The BFG AT/KO is the best A/T tire for offroad use and looks a bit cooler, but if you are going to do any kind of offroading a maximum traction or M/T is the way to go.
No offense, but this about the dumbest statement I have read concerning tires. I take my truck off-road and have never had a need for MT's in my life and I suspect most people don't. Revo's, BFGs, Scorpions, Geolandars, etc...are all perfectly fine for typical off-roading while still providing decent street manners. MT's fill a niche for mudding and are not required at all to take your truck off road (plus they suck ass on the street). The majority of off-roaders will do fine with any type of A/T tire.

#282565 - 08/03/04 12:44 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
ChuckH Offline

True; I wheeled for over two years on Pirelli Scorpions and they worked fine and even though I have M/T's too, I will continue to wheel A/T's in places. A/T's are actually better in some circumstances. Just depends on what kind of wheeling you're doing.

#282566 - 08/03/04 01:27 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
[img]http://www.njax.org/image/id-2946/fpThumb-large[/img] More photos

Yokohama Geolanders, the cheapest tire I could find for that size. $99 each for a P265/70SR-17 Yokohama Geolandar A/T Plus II. 17" tires! They look great with a 3"SL+3"BL.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#282567 - 08/03/04 08:07 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is true that SOME A/T tires are more than adequate for most offroading. I have seen BFG KO block up with mud and become slicks. A more aggressive tread is better for deep dirt and mud as well as rock obstacles. Most MT type tires have tread blocks that wrap the sidewall for better aired down performance. The BFG A/T KO airs down well, but lacks the wraparound tread. The Goodyear MT/R is not a true mud terrain tire, and is not as good in the mud as some others. I found it a good compromise between the BFG A/T KO, and the BFG Mud Terrain...both of which I was considering. It is always a tradeoff, and I don't think it is "dumb" to want an aggressive tire offroad...just as long as you are prepared to live with it on the street. I am not trashing A/T tires...as I stated before, I believe that the Revo is one hell of a tire, as is the A/T KO.

#282568 - 08/03/04 08:09 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also considered the Yokohama Geolander ATII...They have a pretty aggressive treatd for an AT....I wasn't sure about the wear on them though...How is it? Anyone?

#282569 - 08/03/04 09:42 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
dlg1333 Offline

Loc: N Little Rock, Arkansas
Yokohama Geolandar AT+II. Look great, ride just fine, and are priced much cheaper than the Bridgestones and The BFG's. Also, th ePirelli Scorpion AT's are cheap and seem to fit your criteria

#282570 - 09/03/04 04:23 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
On the girlfriends Xterra the Yokohama Geolandar AT were noisier than my BFG M/T's! They are a great tire for the money though!

-Rick

#282571 - 09/03/04 08:41 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I also considered the Yokohama Geolander ATII...They have a pretty aggressive treatd for an AT....I wasn't sure about the wear on them though...How is it? Anyone?
Like I said...

mine have about 10k on them and are wearing very well. I could not be happier with them for general all around use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal