Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#282572 - 09/03/04 12:29 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
My Gealoandar A/T +II have about 20K on them and are about 1/2 gone. I'll probably replace them after this summer around 35K or so. They are awesome on wet pavement and in the rain and great on dry pavement too. Good trail tire also. Since they are sticky tires, the do wear a slight bit more quickly than some others, but it's a trade off...stickier tire with a shorter life, or a less sticky tire that wears longer. I have had them on for 2 full years and they have been fine. They are still fine even with 1/2 the tread gone. One thing I like about them vs BFG KOs is that they can clear slop and snow much better and don't cake up as easily. Probably the best tire on wet pavement I have ever used. I will probably try the Revos next and see how I like them, but the Geolandar AT +II are a decent tire.

#282573 - 09/03/04 01:35 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've heard good things about Pep Boy's Futura Dakota (by Cooper). An acquaintance of mine seems to swear by them. They cost about $400 bucks for 4 LT265/70-R16's. Similar tread pattern to BFG KO's, but not quite as aggressive. Discount tire sells a similar tire, Pathfinder(by Cooper), for about $550. Treadwear is very comparable to the Revo. Don't check on pepboy's website, their example is a 7 inch wide tire. A 10.5 (265) won't look anything like this. If you look at the ones in the store you get a better idea what kind of tire this is.

Anybody know about the Futuras?

What about "Mud King" (BF Goodrich Generic)?

or Peerless M/T's (I think they're called Wildcat)?

#282574 - 10/03/04 07:52 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
EnzoXterra Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC, US
Do they make BFG AT/KO for for 2000 size, which is 265/70-15?

I'm debating again between the Revo and BFG. Revo comes in the stock size, I know that.

#282575 - 10/03/04 08:02 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Originally posted by EnzoXterra:
Do they make BFG AT/KO for for 2000 size, which is 265/70-15?

I'm debating again between the Revo and BFG. Revo comes in the stock size, I know that.
HERE is a list of available sizes... go with either a 30x9.5 or 31.10.5...

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#282576 - 10/03/04 11:16 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't even bother with the 30x9.5 ........
get the 31 or the 32!

Some trimming may be req'd.

#282577 - 10/03/04 11:52 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Today I put Firestone Destination MT's 285/75R16 on my Xterra. They are a little bigger than the 285/75R16 Trxus I had. 33.1x11.3 vs 32.7x11.2 I need to adjust the steering stops, they are rubbing on the brake line cover. I also found out all my tie rod ends have play in them.

#282578 - 10/03/04 12:21 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I don't care how decent the Rice Boys (er, Pep Boys) tires are, that chain should be passed over in my book. Between the stories I've seen of their lousy garages, and the fact that they have completely catered to the ricer crowd with 3 to 4 aisles dedicated to every tacky/obnoxious/useless wing/light/bodykit/wheel/stereo/lowering item imaginable, I'd just as soon see them fold.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#282579 - 10/03/04 12:32 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
I agree with ya Brent. I went there a couple of weeks ago to pick up a light bulb for the wifes car and the guy in front of me had like 3-5 oil filters on the counter and was asking the "help" which would be best for his "new 2004 Nissan Maxima" (which he said like 4 times). The counter guys gave their recommendation and then the guy asks if the chosen filter had "a valve that keeps the oil from draining or something, the dealer I bought my 2004 Nissan Maxima said I need to get one of those."

This is what came out of the counter person's mouth "I've never heard of an oil filter having a valve...have you?(as he turns to the other counter guy) The other counter guy says "I have no idea, maybe we can find Kevin, he used to work at a Nissan Place".

I knew right then and there I would never ask for assistance in that store.

I was back there yesterday buying some wiper
blades and noticed they had the Tornado for sale there!!! [Spit]

#282580 - 10/03/04 12:53 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I find that almost all auto parts stores are that way now. They all carry everything you don't need (or want!), and nothing you do. And they are all too cheap to hire knowledgeable help, so they hire 16 year old pot heads instead.

These days I usually have to go to several stores and get stuff online just to do fluid changes. But if I wanted blue lighted washer nozzles I'd be able to get them anywhere! mad

#282581 - 10/03/04 01:11 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I don't care how decent the Rice Boys (er, Pep Boys) tires are" laugh

So I guess you're saying [Finger] to the Pep Boys.
[ThumbsUp]

I agree, but all the auto parts stores in Colorado Springs are like that. Those little (high profit)trinkets they sell to the racers probably make the tires even cheaper. The Pep boys we have has a pretty nice garage.

The fact that you can buy 4 (Cooper)tires mounted & balanced for $200 less than the Cooper dealer here, makes it tough to pass up.

If somebody is asking a cashier at ANY national chain advice about a part their specific vehicle, then they deserve the shitty advice they get. Most of those guys only have superficial knowledge about brands.

#282582 - 10/03/04 01:43 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always get em from a company in Denver Premier Tires, I have never had any problems with thier tires. I have been running a 270 70 17 Summit Trail Climber CT. And it is awesome, great traction, not to bad on road noise. cool Some trimming necessary.

#282583 - 10/03/04 02:03 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Sure I see ricer crap in any parts store, but Rice Boys is far and away the biggest offender when it comes to % of their store dedicated to it.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#282584 - 10/03/04 07:21 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course they are, they want $$$. Those damn things cant cost that much to make.

#282585 - 15/03/04 11:00 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the stock Grabbers on my X right now, and I want to light them on fire.

I had KO's on my Tacoma twice.. I got 85,000 miles out of each set, rarely rotated them, and generally beat the crap out of them. They handled great on the road, kicked ass on the trail, and I never once had a flat. I would recommend them for anyone looking for a good quality all-around tire.

And yes, they looked cool too.

That's why I have the Crappers on my X now. I could have bought the Futuras, or something else, but I feel wierd about settling for something that has proven to be a reliable, quality product. Too bad they're so damn expensive.

#282586 - 17/03/04 06:59 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Shahram:
........I feel wierd about settling for something that has proven to be a reliable, quality product.......
confused

#282587 - 17/03/04 07:27 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
[b]........I feel wierd about settling for something that has proven to be a reliable, quality product.......
confused [/b]
I think he meant "other then." I agree w/ him too, the KO's are very good tires. Here are mine:

#282588 - 17/03/04 07:38 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

pretty, too...... [ThumbsUp]

#282589 - 18/03/04 01:06 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, I speak good english... [Freak]

What I meant was that I feel wierd about settling instead of opting for something that is a proven, reliable product, for a couple hundred dollars more. Also, I did too many drugs in high school.

Out of curiosity, I went over and looked at the Futura Enforcer's, and they do LOOK nice. There was a post here a couple of years ago regarding them, and one of the guys that had them liked them. They've been discontinued at Pep Boys, so they're like $90 apiece for the 265/75/16's. Low price, aggressive tread, and so on. I don't know of anyone who has had them long term, and what problems they might have, but since they're discontinued, if you shredded one, you'd probably have a bitch of a time finding a replacement.

#282590 - 18/03/04 01:33 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought my truck and it had Falken's on it, I have to say I don't go offroad too much and these tires are super quiet, no viberations, a very good 1/2 street, 1/2 AT tire.

#282591 - 18/03/04 03:08 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow, I speak good english... [Freak]

What I meant was that I feel wierd about settling instead of opting for something that is a proven, reliable product, for a couple hundred dollars more. Also, I did too many drugs in high school.

Out of curiosity, I went over and looked at the Futura Enforcer's, and they do LOOK nice. There was a post here a couple of years ago regarding them, and one of the guys that had them liked them. They've been discontinued at Pep Boys, so they're like $90 apiece for the 265/75/16's. Low price, aggressive tread, and so on. I don't know of anyone who has had them long term, and what problems they might have, but since they're discontinued, if you shredded one, you'd probably have a bitch of a time finding a replacement.
I don't know about the M/T's....

My sister in law has the AT's (Dakota RVT) on her Tacoma. I've driven it a few times and they seem to do great. I wasn't aware that Pep boys had discontinued the Mud Terrains; that's too bad.

#282592 - 18/03/04 05:03 PM Re: What tire do u prefer?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
If you stay with mud, the Enforcers work about the same as a BFG MT, and you'd be happy in the mud.

The AT/KO's are great all around tires, I ran them for years....but they are better if not in mud, they pack up.

If you do rocks, the sidewalls are very thin (Feel them in the store, compare to an AT/KO sidewall for example), and people who have run them in rocks have ripped the sidewalls, especially when wet.

On the plus side, you can afford a few spares.

smile

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#282593 - 30/03/04 10:48 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The guys here in CS seem to think that the Enforcers are discontinued, so get em while you still can. If it's already too late, here are a couple other low cost alternatives.

Sport King / Mud Kings (private label mfg by BF Goodrich)

Dunlop Mud Rovers (about $100/tire @ sams):

Peerless/Dean (mfg by Cooper):

#282594 - 30/03/04 10:56 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
seamonkey Offline

Loc: Boerne, TX
My rules for buy truck tires:
1. Always by M/T's because M/T's work on the street, but street tires (AT's) wont work in the mud.

Offroad Pics

#282595 - 31/03/04 09:29 AM Re: What tire do u prefer?
IceChickenX Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Seems like everyone is forgetting the Mickey Thompson line-up of tires.

Take a peek at them

I have the Baja claws...agressive looking yes...noise level is loud too. But they have other tires not as loud.

IceChickenX

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal