Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#283069 - 11/12/06 09:12 AM Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
marmillerX Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, MA
I was on the Summit website about 3 weeks ago looking at the Soft 8's in a 5in backspacing for about $36 each. I went to order today and they said that they never carried them in 5" BS. The customer service rep. was very rude and said I was wrong. I know many people on XOC have them. What was the part number of those wheels. Also Summit said that they would be custom wheels and would be about double the price. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: 15"x8"

#283070 - 11/12/06 09:48 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

#283071 - 11/12/06 10:10 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
marmillerX Offline

Sorry I forgot to post I am looking for 15x8 with 5"BS

#283072 - 11/12/06 11:55 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the 2"BL, and the PML. I went to have my 33" MT/R's installed at NTB yesterday and forgot to take off all the palstic on the front (behind the front tires) and they refused to put them on? They said they would still rub. I went home, took the 5 min. to take off the plastic which they refused to do and refused to let me do there. Is there anything else I need? I don't want to and was under the assumption that I would not have to trim metal. I want to keep it stock looking by keeping the plastic on the truck and just trimming it up. Do I have to take out any plastic in the wheel wells?

I remember seeing a picture of a yellow X, stock I think, with 33"s on it. It looked weird not lifeted and he had no room, but wtf? Where did you guys have your tires put on at and how much was it?

Thanks. [Laughing]

#283073 - 11/12/06 11:56 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

bpc. Buy the BL and lets do this now so you can run your tires without having to swap out later. Did you order shackles yet?

#283074 - 11/12/06 11:58 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
marmillerX Offline

Jason,

Did you post in the wrong forum?

#283075 - 11/12/06 12:50 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by marmillerX:
I was on the Summit website about 3 weeks ago looking at the Soft 8's in a 5in backspacing for about $36 each. I went to order today and they said that they never carried them in 5" BS. The customer service rep. was very rude and said I was wrong. I know many people on XOC have them. What was the part number of those wheels. Also Summit said that they would be custom wheels and would be about double the price. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: 15"x8"
I ordered straight off the website so I did not talk to anyone in customer service. They were backordered almost three weeks though.

The part #: CRR-3975860P

Call them back, give them that number, then tell them to step away from the crackpipe during business hours.

#283076 - 11/12/06 12:59 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
marmillerX Offline

I talked to Summit and it was a typo on their website. The part number CRR-3975860P is a 4.75" BS. The 15x8 Soft 8's never came in 5"BS only when you get into the 16". Please check your backspacing if you have ordered from Summit!!!!!

#283077 - 11/12/06 01:02 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you want that kind of backspacing, like 5 or 5.5, check these guys out: http://www.rocky-road.com/wheels.html
Halfway down the page they have the rockcrawler type

Yes they are more $

#283078 - 11/12/06 02:17 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yup hit the next button on accident. Didn't realize until after the 2nd post. Oops.

Boy do I feel [Rainbow]

[drink]

laugh

#283079 - 11/12/06 04:14 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

i ordered my 15x8 5"BS S8"s from summit. it even said 5" BS on the box. i'll check the part number on it to make sure.

#283080 - 11/12/06 05:04 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
marmillerX Offline

zuzuman03

Let me know the part number of your wheels. They said it my be a mistake on the backspacing Thanks

#283081 - 12/12/06 03:20 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Mark I'll let you know when my wheels arrive tommorrow if they're a 5.00" or a 4.75" BS.But I'm pretty sure when I ordered they said 4.75" bs. and that's with the part # listed above CRR-3975860P...

#283082 - 12/12/06 04:37 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

i ordered my 16X8 soft 8s with a 5 inch backspace last sunday night and had them by last wednesday afternoon. i thought their service was excellent

#283083 - 12/12/06 06:04 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SupaXSE:
I have the 2"BL, and the PML. I went to have my 33" MT/R's installed at NTB yesterday and forgot to take off all the palstic on the front (behind the front tires) and they refused to put them on? They said they would still rub. I went home, took the 5 min. to take off the plastic which they refused to do and refused to let me do there. Is there anything else I need? I don't want to and was under the assumption that I would not have to trim metal. I want to keep it stock looking by keeping the plastic on the truck and just trimming it up. Do I have to take out any plastic in the wheel wells?

I remember seeing a picture of a yellow X, stock I think, with 33"s on it. It looked weird not lifeted and he had no room, but wtf? Where did you guys have your tires put on at and how much was it?

Thanks. [Laughing]
No...you'll rub w/o the BL...but the PML will be barely ok for street only until you get the BL on....it will rub though...its just that rubbing is survivable, just annoying, and can rip off the plastic that hits (Self clearancing...), so you take it all off ahead of time.

laugh

You have to remove ALL the front well plastic...no metal has to come off though.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#283084 - 13/12/06 04:36 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
marmillerX Offline

LAX-TERRA8 your right that they make the 16x8 with 5" BS. The problem is that they had on their site 15x8 with 5" BS and now when I went to order they said they never carried them. However a few people here ordered them from Summit but we are unsure that they really got what was advertised. I have the computer printout from 3 weeks ago from Summit showing that they had Cragar Soft 8's in 15x8 6x5.5 with 5" BS for $36. This week I called to order them and they said that I was crazy and they have never had them in that size. For all you think they got the 15x8 in 5" BS please measure and let me know. Thanks

EDIT: Offset to BS Picture

#283085 - 13/12/06 07:40 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by marmillerX:
I talked to Summit and it was a typo on their website. The part number CRR-3975860P is a 4.75" BS. The 15x8 Soft 8's never came in 5"BS only when you get into the 16". Please check your backspacing if you have ordered from Summit!!!!!
I guess that explains the rubbing I'm still getting. I have no idea how to figure out if I got the 5 or 4.75. I know for sure my box said 5 but those are thrown away and on the invoice I received, there is nothing written about BS and the part# IS for the 4.75. I guess a few of us are just SOL.

#283086 - 13/12/06 09:19 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
TJ Offline

You do realize that the pic shows offset, not BS?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#283087 - 13/12/06 09:31 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
marmillerX Offline

TJ, Sorry I thought they were the same thing.

From the XOC Forum

Backspacing VS. Offset

Backspacing and offset are basically two different ways of measuring the same thing - where the wheel places the tire in relation to the hub (or mounting surface of the wheel). Backspacing is measured by bridging a straight-edge on the back of the wheel and measuring the distance perpendicularly to the mounting surface of the wheel. Backspacing is usually indicated in inches while offset is usually in millimeters.

Backspacing measurement is less accurate than offset measurement because backspacing is subject to variations between the lip size of the wheel, where offset measures from the center of the mounting area of the tire.

#283088 - 13/12/06 09:44 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
TJ Offline

Correct, sort of...the words are right, the interpretation is off.

Lets say the offset is 40 mm...so, is that 5.0" of BS?

Offset is in mm, and BS is in inches...plus, they do not REALLY measure the same thing, so I need additional info to make sure the damn thing will fit, etc.

They are both ways of measuring the relationship of the rim to the hub....but from different sides.

laugh

If you lay a flat bar, a yardstick, whatever, across the rim (The rim's laying on its side..., the side that faces the brakes is facing up...), and then measure from the inside of the rim, up to that flat thing across the rim, THAT'S the BS.

Like in this pic:

This is the BS changing, with the rim width staying the same....notice the hub getting closer to the centerline as the BS increases?

This shows the offset relationship to the centerline of the wheel, positive or negative offset.

This chart gives an approximation (Not exact...) of the relationship between BS and offset.

Notice that as the rim gets wider, the offset and BS do NOT stay in lockstep...as the extra rim width changes the relationship...the wider rim can keep the same BS, and just have less offset for example.

Measuring Wheel Offset
To calculate offset you'll need the following measurements:

Wheel backspace
Wheel Width
Wheel Center line (outboard flange to inboard flange measurement / 2)

Subtract:

Wheel center line from Wheel backspace to get offset. If backspace is less than the wheel centerline the offset is negative
If backspace is greater than the wheel centerline the offset is positive

Tip:

To convert from inches to mm multiply by 25.4
To convert from mm to inches divide by 25.4

#283089 - 13/12/06 10:20 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
marmillerX Offline

Thanks TJ for the info.

How to measure Backspacing:
The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel. This measurement is backspace.

#283090 - 14/12/06 07:00 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
RI Xterra Offline

Just got mine in and no BS is mentioned on the packaging.It just has the model number which is listed in this thread.

#283091 - 14/12/06 08:38 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nothing about BS on the boxes themselves? I know my packing slip didn't mention it but I'm pretty sure each box did.

#283092 - 14/12/06 08:47 AM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
marmillerX Offline

Gene and FaFaFooey you have the same part number CRR-3975860P? Summit says that it should be 4.75" BS. Can you two try and measure the BS of your wheels. I want to see if they are the same. Thanks

#283093 - 14/12/06 01:44 PM Re: Summit Racing / Cragar Soft 8's
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FaFaFooey:
Nothing about BS on the boxes themselves? I know my packing slip didn't mention it but I'm pretty sure each box did.
Nope nothing on the packages either.Here's a pic of the label on the box.. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal