2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#286860 - 03/07/05 05:20 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

on the new Kenwood, what do you mean by 'ipod interface'? A direct connection w/ an iPod cable?

I have the 7015 and the Kenwood iPod interface box ($99) and mine works perfectly w/ the head unit. Are you saying the new one doesn't need the external box?

#286861 - 03/07/05 07:35 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Bios, good link. As I said before, let's hope it's "SRS" and not "$R$", I'll feel like a tool if I wait for it and it comes out at $2499 or something.

ALSO, whether or not they are trying to give us more options, or maybe that are just trying to drive us crazy, I have now found info on a DDX-6017. This is not listed on the Kenwood page's 2005 Excelon document. But here\'s some guy selling it on eBay. . Mayhaps it's the 8017 minus the SRS?

The eBay/Real Life price ratio to me seems like the 6017 would be around $1399 or so (I've been looking at these things on eBay for a long time). Anyone heard of this?

Also, to answer the iPod questions, although it would be my dream system that allowed you to directly plug in your iPod (via the data port, *not* the headphone/amp), I don't think such an animal exists yet. When we bicker over "iPod interface" I think we're just talking how easy it is to operate the pod through the head unit. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

#286862 - 10/07/05 08:00 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool news everyone, I've found out more info on the Kenwood DDX8017 and 7017. Mainly, the most important: the price. The 7017 is available now from Crutchfield for $1299.99 and the 8017 will be $1699.99 in August.

Funnily enough, the guy from Crutchfield admitted that the 7017 is mainly a "freshened up" version of the 7015, in fact even saying that "on paper, they're the same."

He did not know much about the 8017 and was reticient to compare the two. I was just happy to get the prices. Has anyone else heard anythign different?

#286863 - 11/07/05 05:47 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CDDiG, sounds like the decision on the Kenwood is a pretty easy one.

As for the iPod interface - It seems to me that through the Kenwood unit, it is basically just an aux input, but the controlls are still used via the iPod itself. This is the case with mostly any other brand.

Alpine, however, has a whole new take on the iPod experience, where you can control the iPod from the headunit and everything is diplayed on the headinut, essentially making your iPod a slave music server for your headunit. Click on this ling then on the section on the top left to view the iPod demo.........

http://www.alpine-usa.com/

#286864 - 11/07/05 06:16 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey OnyxXterra, I believe that an iPod can be operated through a Kenwood deck, at least I am led to believe so by this listing on Crutchfield .

As for the Alpine; that does look very nice, but I was under the impression that most people who had purchased such a system were almost unanimous in saying that a double-din sized screen is the way to go, and not one of the flipper-outers. I am, of course, always open to suggestion. Most X-heads seem to be vigorously pro-double-DIN and I was going with that.

So many people in review sections seem to bitch about the DDX7017's menus and interface, maybe an upgrade would do us good. Not sure though.

#286865 - 15/07/05 01:02 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

News for everyone:

I found some information we were all wondering about, in an eBay auction no less. This seems to be a comprehensive list of what's different between the new Kenwood units. Check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789562369&fromMakeTrack=true

#286866 - 16/07/05 01:55 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey..Thanks for the link. That chart was great.. cool

#286867 - 16/07/05 08:35 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the Ipod interface box?

I have the 7015 and I hooked the Ipod withe A/V inputs.
Does the box let you control your Ipon using the Radio controls?

#286868 - 16/07/05 09:16 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Ron Jeremy, from what I hear, the answer is yes. Check it out.

Furthermore, when I went to go get this link for Ron Jeremy, I noticed that the Kenwood DDX 8017 is up on Crutchfield! Looks like it just came up. I'll be interested to see what the sellers on eBay are selling it for. Outside of the one scam artist guy who's selling one now. If you want to laugh, go check out his listing. Yeah, I'll sell you the PDF printout from Kenwood too, except I'll undercut his price. $1000 anyone who wants one of these here fine printouts!

I know it seems unjustly cynical, but I emailed him asking if he had any pictures of the units, and he told me
Quote:
the unit is brand new box never opened. you can go on www.kenwood.com and click on usa and then on excelon catolog and see pics and specs. hurry..... the price is a sale from kenwood so it will probally go up soon. and quantities are limited on this model for ordering from kenwood.
He's selling it for $1599. And free shipping (the earmark of a scammer). Woo-hoo.

#286869 - 16/07/05 04:18 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the Info i am going to go get one today. I didn't even know they sold anything like that.

#286870 - 17/07/05 10:45 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome, Ron. Once you get it, could you pleeeeeease please let us know how it works? It's a topic I know I am personally very interested in hearing about.

#286871 - 17/07/05 04:53 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well i got the controller from a local store 95 bucks. hook up was easy. The controlls are not like your Ipod. it is harder to get to songs you want at least with the ddx7015. they say the controlls are different for each head unit. but it is nice to beable to select the disk or artist with out looking at the Ipod itself. overall i am happy with it.

#286872 - 17/07/05 05:28 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Ron Jeremy , are you able to post some pics of the unit in action?

Uh, by "the unit in action" I mean the head unit, and by "Ron Jeremy" I mean Ron Jeremy the XOC user. That was probably the dirtiest sounding thing I've ever typed.

But anyways, if ye're able, can you give us some screen shots? I am very interested in the interface.

#286873 - 17/07/05 07:37 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would love to but i am not that computer savy i have no idea how to post pics to the web.
Sorry

#286874 - 18/07/05 10:40 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does the Kenwood DDX8017 include the GPS module or is that a separate unit I need to buy? Thanks!

#286875 - 18/07/05 10:46 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Each Kenwood unit needs the Kenwood DV4100 unit for GPS. Sadly none of them come with it built in. Would have been nice.

#286876 - 18/07/05 05:36 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the Kenwood DDX7015 with the DV3100 navi in my old Maxima. It performed very well, and I had zero complaints. When I sold the car to buy my 05, I sold the stereo/navi as well.

Now, I'm looking at an Eclipse AVN5435 or a Pioneer AVIC-D1. I'm well aware of the differences. I prefer the Eclipse, but cost may lead me towards the Pioneer. I never watched movies in the car before, so that's not much of a problem.

The reason why I'm not going towards the newer Kenwoods is because I want an all-in-one self contained unit. I don't want to have to figure out where to mount the navi unit. With both the Eclipse and Pioneer, the navi is built in.

#286877 - 19/07/05 06:13 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

After reading this thread I think I'm getting a bit confused by all the models. Question - does anyone make an all in one unit that does Nav, cd, DVD, Ipod, with good sound quality, on screen controls for the Ipod, and will allow you to hook up an additional amp later if needed for more speakers?
It's been a long time since I did any car stereo stuff so I'm trying to play catchup.

#286878 - 19/07/05 06:44 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

court23 :

I've been doing extensive research on these things, and I don't believe there's one 1-piece model that does everything you need.

Most of the models we're discussing have two types of iPod interface:

AUDIO - you plug the iPod into a cable via your headphone port. This does not charge the iPod, and you are still controlling your music from the iPod itself, and you have quality from the iPod's internal amp. It's like turning the radio into your headphones.

OTHER KIND - you plug the iPod INTO the headunit itself via the dock connector (what you use to plug into your computer). You get better sound quality (your headunit understands the mp3 data from the iPod and "creates" the music itself, rather than coming from an outside source), the unit will charge the iPod, and some say best of all; you get to control the music from the head unit, which also displays the track tags (Artist, Song, Album, etc.), this, as you can see, rules.

Each of these units has maddeningly different capabilities from the next one. An example of the main two I've been looking at. I'm REALLY leaning towards the Kenwood, it's all but in the bag. Now I just need money. [/B]

[b]Pioner AVIC-D1
[/b] [B]
+ built in navigation, one of the cheapest with it
+ cheap!
+ two slots (one CD slot, one slot for the nav disc)
+ has a snappy "Vehicle Dynamics Display"
- crappy (so says 90% of the people who have it) iPod interface
- does not play video DVDs

Kenwood DDX-6017/7017/8017
- need to buy separate nav unit (DV-4100)
(this means two slots effectively)
- expensive!
+ plays DVDs
+ apparent good iPod interface
+ allegedly sounds super-great

#286879 - 19/07/05 07:17 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CDDIG -
Thanks for the detalied response, it helped to make a bit of sense for me.
I went to crutchfield and they have a package: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0Q1qTFayYcd/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=700PDV41
for $2150 that includes both the 7015 head unit and the DV4100 Nav unit. From you're description maybe the 7015 is not a model you'd be interested in.
My main "wants" are a good Ipod interface, Nav, and good sound quality. Playing DVD's would be nice but not really necessary. I would prefer to not have to buy\install a second unit in the dash just for Nav, otherwise i agree the Kenwood would be great. If the Pioneer had a better Ipod interface and sound quality then that would be the way I'd go but since that's one of my big wants I'll have to pass on that one as well.
I've read some good things about Alpine, but I don't think they have built in Nav.
So maybe I just get a simple headunit that will work well with the Ipod and buy a handheld GPS device. Or maybe I wait till someone makes an all in one device.
If anyone has any good suggestions or ideas I'd love to hear them.
Thanks

#286880 - 19/07/05 07:41 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey court23 , another thing I've discovered is that people who get this kind of thing in their X's always seem to get the double-DIN size one, not the flip-out monitor that all the Alpines appear to be. Which is a downer, because Alpine is supposed to have a pisser iPod interface.

How are you currently listening? iTrip or something?

#286881 - 19/07/05 07:50 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea I noticed that everyone seems to like that double-Din as well. Right now just using the Itrip, so I want to upgrade that option for ovbious reasons. I just didn't think it would be this hard to do!

#286882 - 19/07/05 08:00 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah the iTrip is bumming me out too.

Believe it or not, I started just by looking at one of those single-DIN normal stereo units Alpine sells, but then I discovered GPS and everything, and it's the BOMB. Plus I am a gearhead; so why get something that does a few things when you can get something that does everything?

Beware, for once you start down the path of mobile video/GPS, forever will it dominate your destiny.

#286883 - 19/07/05 08:02 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by CDDiG:
Beware, for once you start down the path of mobile video/GPS, forever will it dominate your destiny.
More true words have never been spoken!!!

#286884 - 19/07/05 08:11 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doing some more reading -instead of real work....- and the Pioneer Ipod interface adapter seems to work with a lot of their head units. It's only $119, maybe this is the way to go. Get the avic-n2 or even a cheeper HU and the adapter, I believe that will cover all my needs. It looks like the Nav in the N2 is quite good.
Any thoughts?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal