2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#286835 - 22/06/05 09:16 AM GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright friends, I'm looking at the Pioneer AVIC-N2 as well as the Pioneer AVIC-D1. As you may or may not know, the N1 is the single-DIN type with the screen that slides out and flips up. The D1 is the kind of screen that just sits flush in the spot where the stereo is (double-DIN) and never really goes anywhere.

Has anyone installed any of these? What's the viewing angle like in, say, a 2004 X? Also, I know the stereo is set a bit in, does this mess with a flip-up screen? Anyone? I'll admit I like being able to take the faceplate off the flipping one, plus come on, it's too cool to see the thing motor out and flip up. Super cool.
Any suggestions?

DISCLAIMER: I thoroughly searched and even messaged people who posted they were getting these, with no answer. If the answer is indeed out there somewhere, I'd love to find it.

#286836 - 22/06/05 02:32 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, I own the Eclipse AVN2454. It has been replaced in 2005 by the Eclipse AVN5435. Both are very nice units. I would not trade my AVN2454 for the world (well, maybe for the AVN5435). These are double-DIN units and the screen is always visible.

Another double-DIN unit would be the Kenwood Excelon DDX7015. I think there are a few guys on here that have this headunit and they seem to love them (SCxTerra and krzydmnd come to mind). I think they are very well designed.

I personally don't like the slide out screens. I feel they are a novelty and that novelty wears off in a few months. I much rather prefer the more "stock" look of an always visible screen. It's very clean with very few buttons along the sides. When researching for a DVD/Navi for my X, I looked at every option available, including the Pioneer units. For th money, I would go with either the Eclipse or Kenwood unit over the Pioneer. If you must have the novelty of a slide-out/tilt-up screen, then I would look at Alpine over Pioneer. The Kenwood and the Alpine require you to purchase the Navi unit separately. The Eclipse in an all-in-one unit with no components to hide. Everything is in 1 chassis.

Eclipse AVN5435:
http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/index.html

Kenwood Excelon DDX7015:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VGpRZxHShpg/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=62600&I=113DDX7015

Alpine IVA-D310:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VGpRZxHShpg/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=62600&I=500IVAD310

My head unit:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/630107/2

#286837 - 22/06/05 02:42 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the Kenwood Excelon Double Din DVD player and recommend it... However, the navi unit is a bit pricy and you don't have many options on customizing the screen... other than that it has a great screen and decent audio controls...

#286838 - 22/06/05 03:37 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put the AVIC-D1 into my '05 a few weeks ago. Location and angle are excellent (I don't know the '04 so can't comment). Navigation software is great in many respects - the maps and directions are amanzing - the ability to search for addresses and places of interest are not so great (for example if you want to find directions to the nearest Best Buy you can key in the name and it will pull a list of locations but the list will be in an order other than geographical distance - so you'd have try out each to see which is closet). All-in-all the nav is good but not as good as some factory navs I have used.

D1 does not play DVD movies - only DVD roms (the N2 plays movies).

D1 does not have customizable backgrounds - N2 does.

D1 has a DVD slot separate from the CD slot - N2 shares one slot (so cannot alter DVD route without putting DVD in and taking CD out).

Hmmm what else. I think the N2 has multi-source capability - nav in front while movie playing in rear.

There are a few other differences. I think feature wise the N2 beats the D1 but the D1 looks better in the '05 X (and is a few $$hundred less).

With all that said, I highly recommend you DO NOT BUY the N2 or the D1 unless you are primarily interested in the nav because the audio functionality leaves a lot to be desired.

To change bass/treble etc. you have to push a 5-way toggle in - it must be pushed in directly in the center - if it is slightly up/down or to the side it will cause the song to change - I rarely was able to do this correctly.

It is also difficult to do something simple like set play mode to random on a CD - again requires multiple button pushes beginning with the dreaded center push on the 5-way toggle.

Song titles on Mp3 discs load very slowly - makes it difficult to scroll down to say the 30th song on a disc.

iPod integration is laughable - I can't even go into how bad this is.

xM integration is cool but the logos for the station are hard coded into the operating system (and not upgradable) so if stations change (and they will) the logos become less than useful.

I could go on and on.

Yesterday I bought an Alpine CDA-9855 to replace the D1. I am planning to swap them out in the next few days. I will definitely miss the nav but am hopeful that the audio functionality will be worth it.

Good luck -

#286839 - 22/06/05 06:44 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those that do have these GPS screen head units, what extent of off-roading do you do? wink I looked into the GPS units and was worried about holding up under 4x4 conditions on a long term basis. I would worry about the hard drive or the screen itself, in them going bad after a lot of off-road usage. [Uh Oh !] I am hoping if they do hold up, to do a single din install GPS screen install and a CB either above or below the GPS head unit.

#286840 - 22/06/05 06:46 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also have the Kenwood Excelon DDX7015 double din and Navi unit. Love it. The screen has multiple angle preferences for viewing. Kenwood no longer makes that model though. The new model, DDX8017 is coming out this month. Same unit with some upgrades like a port for an Ipod. Here is the link to download the pdf file for the DDX8017 and some photos of my install in my 04. cool

Kenwood DDX8017 Info

#286841 - 22/06/05 06:54 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

int411, do you think you can post a pic of your install of the D1? I was thinking about getting the exact same setup with the xm and ipodn interface, although I keep reading horrible reviews about the pioneer ipod unit. Maybe I'll wait for the next model to come out. Thanks.

#286842 - 22/06/05 07:19 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DMPMFD:
For those that do have these GPS screen head units, what extent of off-roading do you do? wink I looked into the GPS units and was worried about holding up under 4x4 conditions on a long term basis. I would worry about the hard drive or the screen itself, in them going bad after a lot of off-road usage. [Uh Oh !] I am hoping if they do hold up, to do a single din install GPS screen install and a CB either above or below the GPS head unit.
Unfortuantely, I have yet to go offroading in my X. I am of no help to you frown

#286843 - 22/06/05 07:31 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No prob holding up on the beach or mud/swamp conditions. The stock electronics(dash components,lights,etc) on the X seem no more or less delicate and they hold up. As long as you don't soak it. If you DO float a lot...maybe some submarine electronics are in order. laugh

#286844 - 23/06/05 05:42 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow guys, this is my new favorite bulletin board, what a wealth of information you've all shared, thanks!

It sounds like a true double-DIN setup is the way to go; in truth I did not know that all of those were available or even existed. The "coming soon" Kenwood DDX8017 seems particularly sweet, I noticed the old unit is on clearance at Crutchfield, so maybe that's good news.

I neglected to say one thing I am very very interested about (and kind of touched off this whole adventure) is iPod integration: I listen to my iPod about 80% of the time I am in the X, or whenever I am not listening to Red Sox games or CD's. I haven't really heard anything good about the Pioneer interface outside of the kid working at Best Buy, who assured me it was "sweet," so your comments do help out a lot!

Navigation would also be great, as I do not have the best sense of direction in the world, and it's kind of something I've always wanted; to drive around in a Mapquest-style sense. DVD's is secondary, as in it's somewhat important, but not crucial.

A lot of these units are very nice, but it seems the NAV unit (such as in the Kenwood) do push the price up a bit; the Crutchfield catalog has a "great offer" in which you can get the nav unit and the head for "only" $2199-something.

So allow me to elaborate: iPod connection is key, nav is highly desired, and oh yeah, I want to look cool!

When's that DDX8017 coming out?

#286845 - 23/06/05 01:29 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

well if you have deicided on the double DIN unit (good choice by the way), then I would recommend either the new Kenwood DDX8017 and buy the separate navi module, Or go with the Eclipse AVN5435. The Kenwood has the Ipod port and the Eclipse has A/V inputs, so either way it is easy to hook up your Ipod. The Eclipse is going to retail at a dealer for about $2000 and it's an all-in-one unit, including navi/dvd/cd/mp3/fm/am/sirius. I'm kind of biased for Eclipse. Either way you go, you'll be very happy with your purchase.

#286846 - 23/06/05 02:44 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Here\'s a post about the AVIC-D1 in the GPS/Geocaching forum.

That member seems to be very happy with the AVIC-D1.

int411- what is so bad about the iPod integration with the AVIC-D1?

#286847 - 23/06/05 03:01 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very interesting. It appears there are a few new units coming out that are worth a look such as the aforementioned Kenwood DDX8017 and the Alpine IVA-D310. The 8017 looks pretty cool, I must say. It's also nice to see that review XPLORx4 linked to above; I had not yet heard much of anything too great about the D1. I did try messing around with it at Circuit City the other day and it was a *little* clumsy at first; but this may be due to the setup at the store. Who knows?

This seems to be the time of year they start "releasing" new things; is this so?

#286848 - 24/06/05 06:12 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll post a pic of the D1 tonight (assuming I can figure out how to attach a picture).

Re the Pioneer iPod integration, in the D1 and N2, the interface is the same as that for a 6 disc changer. It would take much time to list all the problems but for a start:

1. I could not figure out any way to shuffle - maybe I am missing something but considering my level consumer electronics experience if I can't figure it out then it is way too difficult. This is a huge problem because everytime you choose a category to play (see #3 below) it starts with the same song and continues through the same song order - this makes it highly unlikely that you ever get to hear song 200 in a playlist.

2. You can only choose to see the text for either the playlist, song title, artist, album or genre AND THIS IS LIMITED TO 8 CHARACTERS! And changing what is displayed from title to say artist is an incredible task and quite difficult to figure out.

3. There is no way to play all songs on the iPod - you can only play within a playlist, artist, genre, or album - so now way to just play randomly through your collection unless you have a playlist that has all songs in it

4. There is no equivalent to the scroll wheel on the ipod, once you choose a category to play in (see #3 above) then you can scroll within that category using the up/down buttons but it takes quite some time to get through even a small number of items.

5. The screen view is completely ho-hum (at least on the N2 you can import your own backgrounds to spice things up!)

6. The instructions are a joke - not sure why they waster their time printing them.

I think they rushed something to market as quickly as they were able to do so. Unfortunately there does not appear to have been any user testing involved.

Pioneer does have what looks to be a better interface on the 5700 but that is a flip up screen which I just don't care for.

I heard the Clarion (also flip up screen) has the best ipod interface.

I am planning to install the Alpine tonight - I am hoping the ipod interface is better but am not expecting much. If it stinks then I am going to go back to running the ipod through the Aux input and controlling through the ipod touch pad ( the on great benefit to this is that you can rate songs - which I have not seen on any OEM interface).

I suspect in the next 12 months things will change dramatically - looks like to new Kenwood discussed above has already taken the doubdle-din to a higher level. I can't wait to see it in action (and may end up replacing the apline with it if it comes out before my 30 day return period expires!)

#286849 - 24/06/05 08:52 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been trying to learn about the differences between the Kenwood 8017 and 7015, and I ain't found much. Here's what I surmise from their literature:

USER INTERFACE
The 8017 is going to have a better graphical user interface which they've thoughtfully decided to call "GUI" as opposed to the 7015, which uses something called "OSD," which I am not sure what it means. The literature seems to be excited by the fact you can control DVD by touching the screen.

SOUND
The 8017 has both SRS Auto (sound?) and DSP, which we all know will make it sound supersweet, but that much more super sweet than the 7015? Who knows? It also has gold-tipped inputs/outputs/or something. Whee....

WHEN?
Crazy Bob of CRazy Bob\'s is saying July. Which is in a couple of weeks.

Outside of the initial impression that the 8017 makes, I am not sure if it's worth the wait (plus the couple hundred dollars more it's bound to be). My guess is it will cost the original price of the 7015 ($1499?). I do wonder if the GUI will extend to the iPod interface. But I do thank you guys for the double-din recommendations, it is influencing my thinking. I've also read double-dins are harder to steal, which is excellent news on the mean streets of Cambridh\ge/Boston.

#286850 - 24/06/05 02:07 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by CDDiG:
I've been trying to learn about the differences between the Kenwood 8017 and 7015, and I ain't found much. Here's what I surmise from their literature:

[b]USER INTERFACE

The 8017 is going to have a better graphical user interface which they've thoughtfully decided to call "GUI" as opposed to the 7015, which uses something called "OSD," which I am not sure what it means. The literature seems to be excited by the fact you can control DVD by touching the screen.

SOUND
The 8017 has both SRS Auto (sound?) and DSP, which we all know will make it sound supersweet, but that much more super sweet than the 7015? Who knows? It also has gold-tipped inputs/outputs/or something. Whee....

WHEN?
Crazy Bob of CRazy Bob\'s is saying July. Which is in a couple of weeks.

Outside of the initial impression that the 8017 makes, I am not sure if it's worth the wait (plus the couple hundred dollars more it's bound to be). My guess is it will cost the original price of the 7015 ($1499?). I do wonder if the GUI will extend to the iPod interface. But I do thank you guys for the double-din recommendations, it is influencing my thinking. I've also read double-dins are harder to steal, which is excellent news on the mean streets of Cambridh\ge/Boston.[/b]
GUI - Graphical User Interface
OSD - On Screen Display

They are making hype about being able to touch the actual menu items on a DVD menu instead of having to use arrow keys to navigate to the menu item. This is handy when queing up a DVD. If your passengers are going to watch a LOT of movies in your vehicle, then this could be a good thing to have, but not necessary.

SRS is a simulated surround sound which makes you feel as if the music is in surround sound without the actual decoding of a Dolby Digital or DTS signal.

DSP - Digital Signal Processor. This is the "hall", "stadium", "live", etc. I find these completely useless. I have never actually used these settings to enjoy my music. I don't think I know anybody who has either.

Gold plated inputs and outputs. I guess it's nice to be able to say you have them, even if you can't hear a difference.

#286851 - 26/06/05 01:30 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting. I wonder if it's worth waiting for the interface and SRS of the new unit, or if it's better to just get the one that everyone seems to be happy about? I went to Circuit City last night to see what I could find; they don't seem to carry Kenwood. Off to BestBuy to see if they have one set up.

What do you think; best to wait for the new one, or do you think the changes aren't worth it?

#286852 - 27/06/05 01:59 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only prob is that Kenwood no longer makes the 7015. Any units out there are just what is left from stock if you can find them. On the other hand that DOES give you the advantage of a better deal on the 7015. Other than an input for the ipod, I don't think the models will be noticeably different IMHO. I talked to Kenwood Friday and the rep said they also have a 6017 and another model that were also double din full screen units coming out, but the 8017 was the top of their line, however I can not find any other info on this anywhere and Kenwood has no literature on it yet other than what is on their site. That's all I know for now. cool

#286853 - 27/06/05 04:37 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bios:

The only thing regarding a release date I have found is that Crazy Bob's thing mentioned upthread which says July. The only info I can find on anything new is on their website's new Excelon page which is really just a .pdf catalog. Seems they're reworking their website (and taking their damned time on it too).

I'm at sixes and sevens as to wait/not wait. The iPod functionality is almost at the top of my list. Why can't Kenwood make a Pioneer-style all-in-one so we don't have to buy the navigation as a separate piece?

Funnily enough, if you work it all out, the previously foo-foo looking Pioneer AVIC-N2 seems better and better priced as you put together a system. Of course the D1 is as well, but both these units suffer from the supposedly horrendous iPod interface that everyone is bitching about (and I believe them). Oh Kenwood, save us!

#286854 - 27/06/05 04:57 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would recommend getting the Kenwood 7015 at the best price you can find. There have got to be some good deals. I know Crutchfield is like $200 off or something like that. I don't think the enhancements on the new model are going to make that dramatic of a difference in every day use.

To my knowledge (just to add to your confusion), Alpine has probably the best iPod interface out there, but I don't think they have a double-DIN full screen headunit, unless there is a new one out this year.

And as I mentioned earlier, the Eclipse AVN5435 is an all-in-one unit including the navi, and it has aux inputs for your iPod. My guess on price at a dealer is about $2000. I don't think you can go wrong with this unit.

#286855 - 27/06/05 05:19 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Eclipse AVN5435 looks like a nice all-in-one; and they seem to be on eBay for around 1500, which pretty sweet; but I was looking for a more integrated iPod interface. That's kind of what touched this whole adventure off in the first place (that is, before I discovered how awesome navigation, etc. is).

Now I know that everyone is unanimously double-DIN, but has anyone done the flip-out thing? Especially with the Kenwood; as it requires an external drive for DVD navigation (as someone showed above). I was thinking that could possibly work, and keep the free "pocket" of space under the stereo where I store my hockey tape and gum.

#286856 - 27/06/05 03:30 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's an Alpine 700 LCD. I moved stock fosgate unit down, repositioned emergency flasher switch over next to steering column. In the back is also a roof-mounted motorized flip down. Sound is through a digital FM modulator. Sound quality is good and never loses signal. It was the only way to keep factory unit (mainly for steering wheel controls) and still go NAV/DVD.
I have the Kenwood DDX7015 and the Kenwood 3100 NAV in my Audi, and the only thing I like about it more is the ability to control EVERYTHING. With the xterra setup, I have control over NAV and outputs to rear screen, but otherwise, the DVD changer, factory head unit, and XM must be controlled with their own remote. Wish it would all interface through the touch screen, but at least the NAV does...

#286857 - 27/06/05 08:16 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow, that looks really good..

now as far as these nav units go; how easy is it to type in an address and have the unit find that location for you? Ive heard that its sketchy (in other words, how's the mapping software?).

#286858 - 28/06/05 04:53 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Maverick_7:
wow, that looks really good..

now as far as these nav units go; how easy is it to type in an address and have the unit find that location for you? Ive heard that its sketchy (in other words, how's the mapping software?).
I can't speak for any other brand than the Eclipse which uses a Navteq map DVD.

It is all but fool proof. You can type in partial addresses and it will give you all options that contain the info that you typed in. You can also type in the name of a store or other "point of interest" and it will give you all the options available to you. I have yet to run into a problem finding anything I've looked for (barring any new places that are not on the disc that I have).

#286859 - 02/07/05 11:47 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CDDiG:

Here is some more info on the DDX8017
Click CLick

#286860 - 03/07/05 05:20 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

on the new Kenwood, what do you mean by 'ipod interface'? A direct connection w/ an iPod cable?

I have the 7015 and the Kenwood iPod interface box ($99) and mine works perfectly w/ the head unit. Are you saying the new one doesn't need the external box?

#286861 - 03/07/05 07:35 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Bios, good link. As I said before, let's hope it's "SRS" and not "$R$", I'll feel like a tool if I wait for it and it comes out at $2499 or something.

ALSO, whether or not they are trying to give us more options, or maybe that are just trying to drive us crazy, I have now found info on a DDX-6017. This is not listed on the Kenwood page's 2005 Excelon document. But here\'s some guy selling it on eBay. . Mayhaps it's the 8017 minus the SRS?

The eBay/Real Life price ratio to me seems like the 6017 would be around $1399 or so (I've been looking at these things on eBay for a long time). Anyone heard of this?

Also, to answer the iPod questions, although it would be my dream system that allowed you to directly plug in your iPod (via the data port, *not* the headphone/amp), I don't think such an animal exists yet. When we bicker over "iPod interface" I think we're just talking how easy it is to operate the pod through the head unit. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

#286862 - 10/07/05 08:00 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool news everyone, I've found out more info on the Kenwood DDX8017 and 7017. Mainly, the most important: the price. The 7017 is available now from Crutchfield for $1299.99 and the 8017 will be $1699.99 in August.

Funnily enough, the guy from Crutchfield admitted that the 7017 is mainly a "freshened up" version of the 7015, in fact even saying that "on paper, they're the same."

He did not know much about the 8017 and was reticient to compare the two. I was just happy to get the prices. Has anyone else heard anythign different?

#286863 - 11/07/05 05:47 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CDDiG, sounds like the decision on the Kenwood is a pretty easy one.

As for the iPod interface - It seems to me that through the Kenwood unit, it is basically just an aux input, but the controlls are still used via the iPod itself. This is the case with mostly any other brand.

Alpine, however, has a whole new take on the iPod experience, where you can control the iPod from the headunit and everything is diplayed on the headinut, essentially making your iPod a slave music server for your headunit. Click on this ling then on the section on the top left to view the iPod demo.........

http://www.alpine-usa.com/

#286864 - 11/07/05 06:16 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey OnyxXterra, I believe that an iPod can be operated through a Kenwood deck, at least I am led to believe so by this listing on Crutchfield .

As for the Alpine; that does look very nice, but I was under the impression that most people who had purchased such a system were almost unanimous in saying that a double-din sized screen is the way to go, and not one of the flipper-outers. I am, of course, always open to suggestion. Most X-heads seem to be vigorously pro-double-DIN and I was going with that.

So many people in review sections seem to bitch about the DDX7017's menus and interface, maybe an upgrade would do us good. Not sure though.

#286865 - 15/07/05 01:02 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

News for everyone:

I found some information we were all wondering about, in an eBay auction no less. This seems to be a comprehensive list of what's different between the new Kenwood units. Check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5789562369&fromMakeTrack=true

#286866 - 16/07/05 01:55 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey..Thanks for the link. That chart was great.. cool

#286867 - 16/07/05 08:35 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the Ipod interface box?

I have the 7015 and I hooked the Ipod withe A/V inputs.
Does the box let you control your Ipon using the Radio controls?

#286868 - 16/07/05 09:16 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Ron Jeremy, from what I hear, the answer is yes. Check it out.

Furthermore, when I went to go get this link for Ron Jeremy, I noticed that the Kenwood DDX 8017 is up on Crutchfield! Looks like it just came up. I'll be interested to see what the sellers on eBay are selling it for. Outside of the one scam artist guy who's selling one now. If you want to laugh, go check out his listing. Yeah, I'll sell you the PDF printout from Kenwood too, except I'll undercut his price. $1000 anyone who wants one of these here fine printouts!

I know it seems unjustly cynical, but I emailed him asking if he had any pictures of the units, and he told me
Quote:
the unit is brand new box never opened. you can go on www.kenwood.com and click on usa and then on excelon catolog and see pics and specs. hurry..... the price is a sale from kenwood so it will probally go up soon. and quantities are limited on this model for ordering from kenwood.
He's selling it for $1599. And free shipping (the earmark of a scammer). Woo-hoo.

#286869 - 16/07/05 04:18 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the Info i am going to go get one today. I didn't even know they sold anything like that.

#286870 - 17/07/05 10:45 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome, Ron. Once you get it, could you pleeeeeease please let us know how it works? It's a topic I know I am personally very interested in hearing about.

#286871 - 17/07/05 04:53 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well i got the controller from a local store 95 bucks. hook up was easy. The controlls are not like your Ipod. it is harder to get to songs you want at least with the ddx7015. they say the controlls are different for each head unit. but it is nice to beable to select the disk or artist with out looking at the Ipod itself. overall i am happy with it.

#286872 - 17/07/05 05:28 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Ron Jeremy , are you able to post some pics of the unit in action?

Uh, by "the unit in action" I mean the head unit, and by "Ron Jeremy" I mean Ron Jeremy the XOC user. That was probably the dirtiest sounding thing I've ever typed.

But anyways, if ye're able, can you give us some screen shots? I am very interested in the interface.

#286873 - 17/07/05 07:37 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would love to but i am not that computer savy i have no idea how to post pics to the web.
Sorry

#286874 - 18/07/05 10:40 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does the Kenwood DDX8017 include the GPS module or is that a separate unit I need to buy? Thanks!

#286875 - 18/07/05 10:46 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Each Kenwood unit needs the Kenwood DV4100 unit for GPS. Sadly none of them come with it built in. Would have been nice.

#286876 - 18/07/05 05:36 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the Kenwood DDX7015 with the DV3100 navi in my old Maxima. It performed very well, and I had zero complaints. When I sold the car to buy my 05, I sold the stereo/navi as well.

Now, I'm looking at an Eclipse AVN5435 or a Pioneer AVIC-D1. I'm well aware of the differences. I prefer the Eclipse, but cost may lead me towards the Pioneer. I never watched movies in the car before, so that's not much of a problem.

The reason why I'm not going towards the newer Kenwoods is because I want an all-in-one self contained unit. I don't want to have to figure out where to mount the navi unit. With both the Eclipse and Pioneer, the navi is built in.

#286877 - 19/07/05 06:13 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

After reading this thread I think I'm getting a bit confused by all the models. Question - does anyone make an all in one unit that does Nav, cd, DVD, Ipod, with good sound quality, on screen controls for the Ipod, and will allow you to hook up an additional amp later if needed for more speakers?
It's been a long time since I did any car stereo stuff so I'm trying to play catchup.

#286878 - 19/07/05 06:44 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

court23 :

I've been doing extensive research on these things, and I don't believe there's one 1-piece model that does everything you need.

Most of the models we're discussing have two types of iPod interface:

AUDIO - you plug the iPod into a cable via your headphone port. This does not charge the iPod, and you are still controlling your music from the iPod itself, and you have quality from the iPod's internal amp. It's like turning the radio into your headphones.

OTHER KIND - you plug the iPod INTO the headunit itself via the dock connector (what you use to plug into your computer). You get better sound quality (your headunit understands the mp3 data from the iPod and "creates" the music itself, rather than coming from an outside source), the unit will charge the iPod, and some say best of all; you get to control the music from the head unit, which also displays the track tags (Artist, Song, Album, etc.), this, as you can see, rules.

Each of these units has maddeningly different capabilities from the next one. An example of the main two I've been looking at. I'm REALLY leaning towards the Kenwood, it's all but in the bag. Now I just need money. [/B]

[b]Pioner AVIC-D1
[/b] [B]
+ built in navigation, one of the cheapest with it
+ cheap!
+ two slots (one CD slot, one slot for the nav disc)
+ has a snappy "Vehicle Dynamics Display"
- crappy (so says 90% of the people who have it) iPod interface
- does not play video DVDs

Kenwood DDX-6017/7017/8017
- need to buy separate nav unit (DV-4100)
(this means two slots effectively)
- expensive!
+ plays DVDs
+ apparent good iPod interface
+ allegedly sounds super-great

#286879 - 19/07/05 07:17 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CDDIG -
Thanks for the detalied response, it helped to make a bit of sense for me.
I went to crutchfield and they have a package: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0Q1qTFayYcd/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=700PDV41
for $2150 that includes both the 7015 head unit and the DV4100 Nav unit. From you're description maybe the 7015 is not a model you'd be interested in.
My main "wants" are a good Ipod interface, Nav, and good sound quality. Playing DVD's would be nice but not really necessary. I would prefer to not have to buy\install a second unit in the dash just for Nav, otherwise i agree the Kenwood would be great. If the Pioneer had a better Ipod interface and sound quality then that would be the way I'd go but since that's one of my big wants I'll have to pass on that one as well.
I've read some good things about Alpine, but I don't think they have built in Nav.
So maybe I just get a simple headunit that will work well with the Ipod and buy a handheld GPS device. Or maybe I wait till someone makes an all in one device.
If anyone has any good suggestions or ideas I'd love to hear them.
Thanks

#286880 - 19/07/05 07:41 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey court23 , another thing I've discovered is that people who get this kind of thing in their X's always seem to get the double-DIN size one, not the flip-out monitor that all the Alpines appear to be. Which is a downer, because Alpine is supposed to have a pisser iPod interface.

How are you currently listening? iTrip or something?

#286881 - 19/07/05 07:50 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea I noticed that everyone seems to like that double-Din as well. Right now just using the Itrip, so I want to upgrade that option for ovbious reasons. I just didn't think it would be this hard to do!

#286882 - 19/07/05 08:00 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah the iTrip is bumming me out too.

Believe it or not, I started just by looking at one of those single-DIN normal stereo units Alpine sells, but then I discovered GPS and everything, and it's the BOMB. Plus I am a gearhead; so why get something that does a few things when you can get something that does everything?

Beware, for once you start down the path of mobile video/GPS, forever will it dominate your destiny.

#286883 - 19/07/05 08:02 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Beware, for once you start down the path of mobile video/GPS, forever will it dominate your destiny.
More true words have never been spoken!!!

#286884 - 19/07/05 08:11 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doing some more reading -instead of real work....- and the Pioneer Ipod interface adapter seems to work with a lot of their head units. It's only $119, maybe this is the way to go. Get the avic-n2 or even a cheeper HU and the adapter, I believe that will cover all my needs. It looks like the Nav in the N2 is quite good.
Any thoughts?

#286885 - 19/07/05 08:41 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Court23:

I once thought as you do (why am I quoting Jedi nonstop all of a sudden?) but I stopped at a few points, the main one being the iPod interface. If you search the internet thoroughly, you will find people disappointed with the Pioneer iPod interface.

From what I can understand, you can only play within a playlist (there's no "Shuffle Songs" button like on a 4G iPod). Furthermore, it's hell to find a song or even an artist. It sounds like the "scroll" when you press the down button isn't as fast as people might like. I have 1045 artists on my 40gB Ipod (only 3/4 full, too!) and I wouldn't want to scroll down to the Yeah Yeah Yeah's if I had to click a button 1044 times.

I also heard it only shows 8 character at a time. So it's "Born to R" from "Bruce Sp" and "Yellow S" from "The Beat" which would bum me out eventually.

Do a search, check Crutchfield, and do a general search. You'll find people in other car forums (if you want an alternate universe, go find out what the Audi people whine about) who are most displeased with the Pioner iPod interface. I don't mean to down your trip, but check it out!

#286886 - 19/07/05 08:46 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. Bummer though, as every time I think I'm making progress I have to start over.
Maybe now I'm back to getting a handheld nav/GPS unit and a HU that is designed to work with the Ipod.

#286887 - 19/07/05 08:52 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by court23:
Question - does anyone make an all in one unit that does Nav, cd, DVD, Ipod, with good sound quality, on screen controls for the Ipod, and will allow you to hook up an additional amp later if needed for more speakers?
Take a look at the Eclipse AVN5435. I'm not sure if it has an iPod interface, but it has everything else and does them very well.

#286888 - 19/07/05 09:04 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OnyxXterra -
I believe I saw somewhere that you have the Eclipse AVN5435 or the previous model. I'm pretty sure you said you liked it. Do you have any major complaints, does it work well with the Ipod? Do you find the Nav system to be good enough for you?

#286889 - 19/07/05 09:37 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what I can find about the avn5435 I think you have to use the aux port for the Ipod. Which means that you will need to control the Ipod from the Ipod, there are no on screen controls.

#286890 - 19/07/05 10:00 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you're right, and I definitely want to control the iPod from the head unit. What do you think you want to do? You need good sound AND control.

#286891 - 19/07/05 10:13 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
OnyxXterra -
I believe I saw somewhere that you have the Eclipse AVN5435 or the previous model. I'm pretty sure you said you liked it. Do you have any major complaints, does it work well with the Ipod? Do you find the Nav system to be good enough for you?
I don't have an Ipod, and i don't think i want one (i know if i get one, i'll love it). Fitting 130 mp3's on a cd is fine for me.

I love my AVN2454 (previous model). The nav works great! i only have 2 complaints that may have been addressed in the new model:
1 - mp3's fast-forward and rewind slowly (minor)
2 - there are only 6 FM presets. i don't really listen to the radio so this is not a big deal for me.

An ipod would indeed need to be connected via the aux input.

#286892 - 19/07/05 10:15 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

At this point I really don't know. I did like what I saw when I looked at the Eclipse units. They seemed to do everything but control the Ipod thru the HU, however a new model above the 5435 is coming out, maybe it will integrate the Ipod???
So far I've not seen one that does all that I want it to do so either I wait and keep looking or go the opposite approach and get a HU that works with the Ipod and a handhelp GPS/nav device. I'd prefer the all in one unit but who knows when that might happen. The other option is to get a unit that will work with the Ipod but use the aux ports instead of controlling it from the HU.
I wonder how much that will bother me in the long run. I mean that's how I use it now with the Itrip and it's not great but I'm definately used to it so it wouldn't really be a change. However the sound quality would be MUCH better.
Do you know where you are heading???

#286893 - 19/07/05 10:20 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

onyxXterra-
Thanks for the reply. The eclipse units do seem pretty good, and I've found a few forums where people have then and love them. No major complaints at all which is a first. From what I understand using the Aux input does not degrade the sound quality at all, is that correct. It just means you have to control it thru the ipod instead of the HU, correct? If so, maybe that's something i can live with.
Looking at their web site they do not show a list of dealers and the usual stores don't seem to have them either. I guess you have to go to a car stereo only store to get them?

#286894 - 19/07/05 10:27 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In terms of not losing sound quality through a line-in, I think you would lose a little bit. Follow me here. In the iPod, the song is stored as data. The iPod turns the data into audio, THEN puts it to the headphone amp, which controls the volume and boosts the signal. Try turning your volume all the way up on your iTrip, you'll see the problem.

A head-unit that plugs into the dock connector takes the DATA directly from the iPod, and turns it into audio on the head unit. In the audio world, the less steps your AUDIO has to go thru, the better the sound. It doesn't matter so much in terms of data. I think you'd get noticeably better sound from a direct connection to the docking connector.

#286895 - 19/07/05 10:35 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CDDIG
Well that stinks that it will degrade the sound quality. I did read on either a different HU or an ipod connector that the device will boost the signal and "clean up the music" to make it sound even better then it did to start with. I need to remember where I read that and find what decive that was. I'm pretty sure it was some sort of adapter.
In any event the sound thru the aux port should be MUCH better then thru the Itrip...

#286896 - 19/07/05 10:39 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is for certain. Have you ever gotten "buzzed" by someone else's iTrip? I was listening to Garbage one day and someone pulled onto the highway next to me and all of a sudden I was listening to that new Gwen Stefani thing. Not cool at all.

#286897 - 19/07/05 10:46 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Looking at their web site they do not show a list of dealers and the usual stores don't seem to have them either. I guess you have to go to a car stereo only store to get them?
You need to go to authorized Eclipse dealers only. Call the number on the site, and they will refer you.

#286898 - 19/07/05 01:07 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Kenwood owners, can anyone confirm that the DDX (any unit #) can play mp3 files from a burned DVD? That's exemplary, because I don't need to tell you how much data can fit on a DVD...

#286899 - 19/07/05 01:24 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I fully follow what y'all are saying about the sound degradation by using the aux inputs, but i can not see it being that big of a degradation where you will actually HEAR a difference. I would like to know if someone can test this theory on a system where they have the ipod hooked through the data cable then hook it through aux inputs on the SAME system and see if there is any audible difference. my money is on No Audible Difference.

In my opinion, it is worth the extra time and effort of locating an authorized eclipse dealer to get an eclipse headunit. the build quality is outstanding, very solid. the components they use are audiophile grade circuitry. they made some ergonomic improvements on the new model. Eclipse is one of those companies that focuses on top-quality over bells-and-whistles.

#286900 - 20/07/05 04:29 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CDDIG and OnyxXterra -

I did some more research yesterday and found a some pretty cool information. I called Eclipse and they pointed me to the ONLY dealer in my area. So I went over and he had some literature on the new AVN5495 that is just now out. Far as I'm concerned it's the perfect device. It's basically the same as the AVN5435 with some upgrades. It has Circle Surround II so you get multichannel surround sound over the unit's 4-channel speaker system from any audio program source. It also has a preamp with output level of 5V with low 55 impedance. They upped the power output from the 5435 and added DSP. However here is the biggest bonus. They have put in a 40 GB harddrive. 10 GB of this space is taken up by the NAV system leaving 30 GB for up to 3000 songs to be stored on it. Meaining you can download 3000 songs from you're Ipod right into the HU so you never need to take you're Ipod if you don't want to. You don't need to find an adapter or direct hookup, you can still hook it to the aux port if you want and play songs but once you copy them to the HHD you really never need to do that. The device will also Rip an entire CD as it's being played and will save those songs on the HHD, even if you stop it mide way it will not messs up the song. It will even allow you to record songs off the radio and it will keep them for you as well. Of course you can see the track info.
I'm sure there are other things I have forgotten to mention but I think those are the major points. Only downside is the price. He was saying around $2700 for the HU. When you compare it to other HU's it's not all that bad but $2700 is still $2700 so you have to be sure you really want this unit. After my talk and reading some about it I'm pretty sure it's what I want, now just need to get some extra money together.
I hope this helps you're search!!

#286901 - 20/07/05 04:57 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Court, thanks for that info on the new unit!!! The new model shows promise of being a great performer. Eclipse has had a HDD unit in their line-up for quite some time now so they have a great system. It's not like this is their first HDD unit that will need some bugs worked out of it. And $2700 isn't all that bad when you consider the pieces of equipment it can do the job of/replace. I paid $2600 installed for my AVN2454 a year and a half ago! and it's already outdated! Maybe i'll sell it and get a new model!

#286902 - 20/07/05 05:02 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea I know that they have had the HDD option, part of their Music Juke system I believe. Since I only ever remember half of what I should, I can't remember exactly what the dealer told me but the new one is supposed to be MUCH better then the old system. Anyway, it does seem to cover my needs. I'm going to try to learn a bit more before I buy it but right now it's my #1 choice!
Thanks again for all of you're help. I'd never nave even thought of eclipse if you had not mentioned it.

#286903 - 20/07/05 05:40 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey court23; that's some awesome info. I don't know if the site said I had any Eclipse dealers (one of the reaons they've kind of been on my back burner) but the HDD thing sounds mighty awesome. A question though: how do you get your 30gB worth of music onto the unit? I wouldn't have the patience to re-rip all my discs, and that'd have to be one long firewire cable to make it into my bedroom! But that sounds indeed awesome.

The true turn-off is the price; that's basically to me like buying one of the other units we've been talking about (DDX-8017 + Nav unit from Kenwood on eBay is "only" $1985) plus $100 for the iPod adapter and still enough left over to buy two iPods. If I didn't already pay $400 bucks for my iPod, I'd be more gung-ho about it, but I don't mind bringing the 'pod with me.

#286904 - 20/07/05 05:49 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

CCDIG - Yea I agree the price does seem a bit much but for all you are getting it doesn't seem all that bad. the price does include a 3 year warranty as well as a 1 year warrenty against theft from you're vehicle. If it's stolen tehy will replace it free no questions asked, or so I'm told. I've not seen that from any other manufacturer. As for getting the music from the Ipod to the HU. My understanding is that it will read\copy the music directly off of you're Ipod so there is no need to run the long cable from the bedroom to the truck. It also will read a small memory stick like the ones you can put in your digital camera so you can copy music that was if need be.
The nice thing I see is that it's all in one unit taking up less space in the truck. If I went the Kenwood way I'd have to have the HU plus another unint installed for the Nav and I am trying to avoid that. The other nice thing for me is that after all the music is copied into the HU from the Ipod I can use the Ipod in the other car while the wife can use the HU in they truck or vise versa.

#286905 - 20/07/05 05:55 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If i'm not mistaken the HDD is like a cartridge that you pull out of the headunit and hook up to a pc via firewire or usb cable. I haven't actually used one, so i could be incorrect.

The older units that use the MusicJuke HDD feature have a 20GB drive that can hold up to 3000 songs and it also has a memory stick slot.

Here's some more info:
http://www.eclipse-web.com/avx/avx_special.htm

#286906 - 20/07/05 06:06 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey court23 I will agree that the all-in-one unit is nice indeed. I am not sure where you can mount the Kenwood nav unit, I saw one person put it in the "cubby hole," but I wouldn't want to lose that space. I have far too much stuff in there (gum, emergency soda, sunglasses) to want to lose it. I am not sure where would be a good place to mount extemporaneous (xtemporaneous?) nav units and the like.

#286907 - 20/07/05 06:24 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OnyXterra - My limited understanding is that the HDD does not come out, but I'm not 100% sure either. If that were the case I would have thought the dealer would have mentioned it. Guess more research is in order. Does you're NAV system give you GPS info, lat-long info? I have not been able to find that anywhere. I did ask them about installing an older system but it was only a couple hundered less then the AVN5435 so maybe it's just better to get the new one. I jsut wish the 5495 wasn't SOOO much more then the 5435.

CDDIG - I agree, I have no idea where you would put the other device, one of the things I like about the X is that there is a lot of storage space for all the extra stuff you seem to keep in your car. I don't want to loose any of it. Because of that I'm really trying to find that all in one option.

#286908 - 20/07/05 07:36 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
OnyXterra - My limited understanding is that the HDD does not come out, but I'm not 100% sure either. If that were the case I would have thought the dealer would have mentioned it. Guess more research is in order. Does you're NAV system give you GPS info, lat-long info? I have not been able to find that anywhere. I did ask them about installing an older system but it was only a couple hundered less then the AVN5435 so maybe it's just better to get the new one. I jsut wish the 5495 wasn't SOOO much more then the 5435.
The nav on my AVN2454 is run off a dvd nav disc, which makes for easy upgrades. It does indeed give lat/long coordiantes and you can even set a destination using lat/long coordiantes if you know them. It is very handy to have the nav in the truck. I travel a couple times a year and it's nice to be able to type in "Wal-Mart" and find the closest 20 Wal-Marts to wherever I am, along with their phone number to call and see if something is in stock. The only minor complaint i have is no fault of the eclipse headunit, i think it's common to all nav systems......is that the Point-Of-Interest icons are sometimes off the mark from where they should be. But this is very minor to me.

#286909 - 20/07/05 08:41 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey [b]Kenwood owners, can anyone confirm that the DDX (any unit #) can play mp3 files from a burned DVD? That's exemplary, because I don't need to tell you how much data can fit on a DVD...[/b]
Yes, the DDX7015 did play MP3s from a burned DVD. It's not supposed to and I had the system hang on me (rarely) which I just restarted and it was fine.

#286910 - 20/07/05 10:12 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

besides the kenwood units, do other units play mp3 from dvd (rather than cd)? also, has anyone try installing the units themselves? do you also need any additional installation kits, harness, etc?

#286911 - 20/07/05 02:08 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I installed the DDX-7015 into my I30t, deinstalled it, and reinstalled into my Maxima later on.

#286912 - 20/07/05 02:47 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Max:

Did you install the Kenwood Nav unit as well, or just the stereo?

#286913 - 20/07/05 07:15 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Navi and Sirius.

#286914 - 20/07/05 07:26 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where did you mount it all?

#286915 - 20/07/05 08:08 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The navi was mounted under the rear pass seat. The Sirius was mounted behind the fold down arm rest (remember, this was in a Maxima).

#286916 - 20/07/05 09:02 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the Kenwood 715dvd model and it holds up on off-road conditions great, I also have the navigation and satelite radio, both are a must add-on. Its a single Din with the motorized monitor and I have yet to have any monitor issues, mechanically or video..

Hope this helps....

#286917 - 21/07/05 03:19 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone installed the Kenwood KV4100 navigation themselves? If so do you now or remember what wire was the speed sensor wire...

Thanks in advance for the info...

#286918 - 21/07/05 06:25 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the 97 I30 and the 02 Maxima, it was pink with blue stripe. Not sure what it is on the Xterra. My gut feeling is that it may be the same, but don't quote me on that.

#286919 - 21/07/05 07:09 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the heads up MAX

#286920 - 30/07/05 01:33 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just had it installed yesterday. It's an Eclipse AVN5435 w/ built in navi and I added Sirius. Right now, there's a problem because the installer does not have the correct VSS wire color for the 05. Eclipse "assumed" that the 04 was the same as the 05. THey are not. Clifford assumed the same thing when I had my alarm installed. So, the installer is going to call his friend at the Nissan dealer to find out what the color is.

Would anybody here know? Remember, this is for an 05.

Before you ask why I had the unit installed rather than installing it myself is because Eclipse will warranty the headunit for 3 years. Whereas, if I did it myself, it would only cover 1 year.

#286921 - 01/08/05 04:34 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Max:
I am VERY jealous. Looks great! I also had my AVN2454 installed by the dealer because of the warranty, wise choice.

#286922 - 01/08/05 08:19 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

max6spd

Did you also replace any of the speakers in the X. I am on the verge of installing the same Eclipse unit in my X but thought the speakers needed some help. If you find out the color of the VSS wire please post it here as well.

#286923 - 01/08/05 12:20 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

After paying for the headunit, I have no money for speakers. laugh

I took a bit of time researching the headunit I wanted. I will do the same with the speakers and amp. I think I want to get a 4 channel speaker to drive the fronts and sub. The rears I might just leave stock since they are for rear fill anyway. Or, if anything, they will be stock replacements (un-amped). For the sub, I will probably get the RF enclosure and put another sub in it. I can't take any room up in the cargo area.

As for the VSS, I'll let you know when I find out.

#286924 - 02/08/05 07:05 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

max6spd

have you given any thought to placing speakers in places other then where they are now? I usually keep the back seats down for my dogs. It's great for them, but with the seats down they cover the speakers in the back doors causing a very muffled sound. I was going to try to mount some speakers in an area that would keep them from being covered and sounding like they do now but I'm not really sure where they would fit.

#286925 - 02/08/05 07:57 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe that the pre-2005 models had the rear speakers in the cargo area. I know that that my old 94 Pathfinder had them on the roof (which I thought was pretty cool). So, there are options, but whatever route you decide, it will have to be a lot of custom work. I really like the idea of having them above, but I'm not sure how you would do it.

For me, I will have the speakers in the stock locations. My seats are usually up even with the dog in the rig (I have a beagle so she's fine sitting on the seat).

#286926 - 03/08/05 10:01 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 2 labs so they take all the room I can give them. I like the idea of speakers in the roof. I'll have to look at that this weekend and see if I can figure a way to a couple up there

#286927 - 17/08/05 08:50 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

max6spd,

I wanted to know if the 5435 had an option for amber buttons. Also how does the tilt function work, can it tilt forward? I had a kenwood DDX-7015 in and I couldn't stand the angle that it was at when in the dash, it was too far back.

Thanks

#286928 - 17/08/05 05:10 PM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it has amber buttons, I would love to find them. There's no mention in the manual about button colors.

I haven't played with the tilt. I'll let you know tomorrow.

#286929 - 18/08/05 07:20 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The tilt is similar to the DDX where the top goes in and the bottom comes out except with the AVN, it tilts significantly more (I used to have a DDX so I can make that comparison).

#286930 - 18/08/05 08:30 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info, would it be possible for you to post a pic of it at night. Do you have any glare issues with it, with the ddx I did and it was the reason I got rid of it.

#286931 - 18/08/05 11:07 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's kinda hard to take night shots because I don't have steady hands (too much damn coffee). And obviously, the flash would negate the effect of the picture. I'll see what I can do.

#286932 - 19/08/05 04:27 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I totally understand, I just want to see how much it blends in, if at all before I make the purchase.

#286933 - 19/08/05 05:37 AM Re: GPS/DVD video screens: to flip or not to flip?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by newcastle3:
I totally understand, I just want to see how much it blends in, if at all before I make the purchase.
Well, you're in NJ, so the next time you're in the city, let me know and you can see first hand.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal