2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#287269 - 11/03/05 07:30 PM Those b****rds at XM
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
So did anyone else get the letter? They are jacking their price from 9.99 to 12.95.

So to make us feel "good" they are including the PC streaming and the new talk station with Opie and Anthony.

Here's an idea, XM - I don't give a rat's ass about Opie and Anthony (they SUCK) and I cannot listen to music on the PC (kinda hard when you are working with video that happens to have audio you HAVE to listen to). So why not let me opt out of that crap?

Bastards.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#287270 - 11/03/05 08:10 PM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thats bullshit, I was about to get XM too! I mean less then 3 bucks isnt to much but being more then 10 dollars makes it seem so much more.

#287271 - 11/03/05 08:43 PM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of their big selling points over Sirius was price since XM was cheaper. Guess that's out the window. Hopefully Sirius wont follow suite and raise their prices - I was thinking of signing up with them when Howard Stern moves over.

HD radio will give them a run for the $$ in the next few years anyway - and that's free. (well, no monthly fees anyway - tuners are around $800 right now but are sure to come way down). Better quality too,

Who does XM think they are anyway, the cable company?

#287272 - 11/03/05 11:19 PM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think if you already signed a contract with XM before the price increase you will not be affected. but for future customers the new prices will be in affect.

#287273 - 12/03/05 01:08 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
I don't get the whole paying for radio thing. Is XM and the other one really that much better than the horrible shit you hear over regular airwaves? I can't stand radio any more and only tune in to get the quick traffic updates when I'm on the road.

#287274 - 12/03/05 04:55 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got rid of XM after 3 months. Couldnt hold a signal. Called to complain and they told me that they only have two satilites where sirus has 3. XM satilites are geostationary, so you need a veiw to the southwest, whereas sirus has 3 and they are not geostationary. Anyway, even if i still had them, i would have most likely canceled after they hiked the rates.

#287275 - 12/03/05 05:52 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used to think it was stupid to pay for radio too. When the deal came up to get the free sirius car unit I figured I would try it out. At first it was just ok. Then when I found the right stations for me it has been an awesome experience.

People used to wonder why someone would pay for TV when cable first came out too.

#287276 - 12/03/05 06:01 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:

HD radio will give them a run for the $$ in the next few years anyway - and that's free. (well, no monthly fees anyway - tuners are around $800 right now but are sure to come way down). Better quality too,
HD radio will NOT give them a run for the money. I didn't get XM for the sound quality...I got it for the CONTENT. If broadcast radio stays the same - with Clear Channel ruling, it won't change anything but the sound quality.

I listened to HD radio at NAB last year...it DOES sound fantastic, I'll give them that. But that means nothing if I'm stuck listening to the same songs over and over and all the commercials they stick in there.

As far as the sound quality...for the most part, people listen in their cars...unless you are standing still with the car off, it's not going to be much different.

Side note - before anyone says it, I know $3 isn't much...but it still pisses me off.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#287277 - 12/03/05 06:02 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Xterradon Offline

Loc: Franklin Park, NJ
I got XM for the X shortly after its launch and have been happy ever since. I cannot stand commercials on FM, nor listen to a bunch of morning or evening disc jockeys talk about absolutely nothing or sing along with the music they are playing. I think it is still worth it, you get what you pay for. HD radio or digital radio will be free, but there will still be talk and ads. I want to hear music. The online streaming is nice because you can pipe it through a network adapter and stream it to your house stereo. I've never had a signal problem except up in Maine where the angle is to great. And you can still prepay to get the price down. Perhaps the added cost has to do with MLB games coverage this year.

#287278 - 12/03/05 06:21 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboardguy:
i think if you already signed a contract with XM before the price increase you will not be affected. but for future customers the new prices will be in affect.
After April 2nd, new customers and old customers go to $12.95 a month UNLESS....
You pay for a yearly package in advance. If you pay quarterly, then the next quarter that comes up will be at $12.95/month. This was explained in the letter from XM.

#287279 - 12/03/05 06:41 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
mav63 Offline

Loc: DC
HD radio is free after buying a $500 receiver. You are right about you'll still hear the same lame stuff, just much clearer. Haha...
XM rocks! Different stuff everyday, no commercials and if you buy the multiyear package, it is discounted. New prices in effect April 1. Buy now and get a 3 year subscription and don't worry about your measely $3.

#287280 - 12/03/05 07:33 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

XM /Sirus is great in Colorado. Most of the fm/am stations are located on the front range and it is slim pickings and static in the mountains. XM comes in clear anywhere.

I will switch to Sirus, not from the price increase, but because NASCAR is switching to Sirus. I don't see why both can't NASCAR. but that is another issue.

#287281 - 12/03/05 08:09 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Mobycat Offline

To expand on the XM v. HD thing...

When I was out at NAB Radio in Seattle a couple years ago, they (the broadcasters) kept on and on about how HD was going to put them so far and above the satellite radio services. They acted like it was their magic bullet.

So last year at NAB Vegas, I stopped by the Ibiquity booth (they are the ones with the HD technology) and asked them about it - and wanted to know why the broadcasters thought that. Even THEY said it wasn't a magic bullet. Simply that it was one thing that could help.

#287282 - 12/03/05 08:26 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
30 percent increase, ouch!

#287283 - 12/03/05 09:15 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
That does suck but since I live in Hell Paso and the only spanish i know is "una mas cerveza por favor" (spelling is not too good either) XM makes sense for me...plus driving the long distances here in the west and only having old ass country or spanish stations really justifies it much more...oh well thats why i have job..

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#287284 - 13/03/05 01:54 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

XM Radio......by far the best money I have ever spent.

Nothing like tuning into a music station and actually hearing music!! Wow! what a concept! [Huh?]

#287285 - 13/03/05 05:45 PM Re: Those b****rds at XM
buck Offline

Loc: Shohola,PA. 18458
I agree with all of you who have purchased satellite radio for the content. I have Sirius radio, and wonder how I got along without it. No matter what type of music you like, there are several channels of it with no commercial interruption. And with Sirius, the second radio is only $6.99 monthly. The sound is terrific, and the choices are great.

#287286 - 13/03/05 05:55 PM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

A $3.00 per month increase amounts to 30% and getting very little in return is just plain greed. I have had XM for over 2 years and have been satisfied with it. My subscription is up for renewal in July; now it makes me wonder if renewing the subscription is going to be worth it.

#287287 - 13/03/05 06:05 PM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
We've got two XM radios, so our monthly is $17 right now, $20 at the start of the next billing period (mine is up again on June 03).

I agree that it is more content for me than anything else. Since my wife and I both listen to different types of music, I compare the $17 or $20 a month against the much greater amount we both used to spend on CD's.

Other than on occasional seasonal CD (i.e. Christmas stuff), I don't think we've bought but maybe 2 CD's in the last several months. That savings alone more than pays for XM, even at the newer rate.

#287288 - 13/03/05 10:02 PM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Mobycat Offline

One more little rant I have about XM...

Those of you that have it...have you noticed a considerable uptick in the talk and interuptions?

I mean, lately on the 80s channel and Fred (my two main channels) they interrupt almost every other song with either the jocks talking or XM promo spots.

C'mon XM...you don't need to announce what channel it is so often...for one thing, the radio TELLS us which one it is. For another...you are preaching to the choir...you already have us.

#287289 - 14/03/05 12:04 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have sirrius and have had it for a few years and cant live without it. Right now I'm back in socal and driving my MG for the next week and it just has regular fm/am and went to visit friends and for the 60 mile drive I think a good 60 percent of the drive it was commercials. Fm radio sucks.

The only real bitch I have about sirrius are the damn DJ's and promo's. When I switched it was a very brief interuption few and far between songs and now the frequency is increasing to every few and now they are getting to the point of talking over the songs which is annoying as hell. But its still better than 20 minutes of edited music and 40 minutes of commercials

#287290 - 14/03/05 05:35 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
mav63 Offline

Loc: DC
As an XM listener and stockholder, I agree with the increase since they have expanded their channel selection, they have grown their customer base and now it is time to start making money. If you don't have either XM or Sirius, I would suggest renting a car that has it and give it a try. FM will never be the same.
I haven't bought a CD in over a year since getting XM. I also record directly to my MP3 player from my XM Roady and have music for running or working out.

#287291 - 14/03/05 07:55 AM Re: Those b****rds at XM
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by mav63:
If you don't have either XM or Sirius, I would suggest renting a car that has it and give it a try.
NO WAY! This is the same reason I won't try Tivo.... I know I'll like it and will then be sucked into paying monthly fees for it. I'd rather remain ignorant and keep my money. :p

#287292 - 14/03/05 02:35 PM Re: Those b****rds at XM
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
This is the same reason I won't try Tivo.... I know I'll like it and will then be sucked into paying monthly fees for it. I'd rather remain ignorant and keep my money.
Yeah, but with Tivo's lifetime option, you don't have to pay a monthly fee. My first Tivo paid for itself over two years ago, my second will in less than a year.

Monthly fee's suck - I can't believe people are falling for napster...

#287293 - 14/03/05 04:47 PM Re: Those b****rds at XM
XCJ Offline

Loc: Chandler, AZ
Anybody listen to channel 16 on XM? This one XM add comes on and the lady talking has a damn annoying voice. It drives me insane [Freak]

Anyway, XM is worth the $3 extra a month. I haven't bought a CD since I got XM well over a year ago nor have I listened to regular radio in my car. I have noticed an increase in XM add's, but it is still worth the cash.

Are there any big differences between XM and Sirius?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal