2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#287960 - 03/12/01 11:13 AM Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
I know lots of people here are curious about what can be done to their truck's audio system, like what helps and what doesn't, that kind of thing. I just thought I'd share some thoughts on what I've been through so far, hopefully if anybody here is wondering what they can do, this could help. Also, if anybody else has anything to add please do. Maybe I should rename this the Perpetual Audio Upgrade Thread. Or maybe it'll die a slow, horrible death.

Head Unit: The first thing I did was pull out the stock CD player and toss it into my girlfriend's car. I had a detachable-face unit (Panasonic DFX150U, 4x40 watts) which has the pre-amp outs, including a dedicated sub-out, and a remote control. Difference? Minimal.

IMO, if you're happy with the stock radio, keep it. Just bear in mind if you're planning on adding an amplifier, you'll need to either get one with high-gain inputs (to tap the speaker outs), or a speaker wire-to-RCA adapter, as it doesn't have any amp out connections.

Amplified Subwoofer: I had an Alpine S series 12" woofer in a sealed box from my Honda Civic rice burning days. Mounted on it was a Phoenix Gold QX2180 amp, putting out a clean 180 watts into 1 bridged channel. Sitting in the back, it sounded amazing. It was absolutely too loud for most of my passengers, and I routinely stepped out of the truck a little dizzy. Gut-churning bass.

Turning the bass off to the stock speakers allowed them to sound much better on their own as well, overall the balance between the thump the sub put out and the highs the radio was giving to the speakers was pretty good. The biggest drawback was the size of that damned box in my trunk. Plus, it was a visible target for thieves (a problem in Vancouver). I had pulled the cover over, but that just says "look, I'm hiding something!". Instead of risking a break in, the box sits in storage.

Amplified front stock speakers: The amp itself is pretty small, so I took if off the subwoofer box and hooked it up to the front speakers instead. Difference? Unbelievable. You'd be completely surprised, but those "crappy" front speakers actually put out quite a lot of bass. Not the gut-churning low-end stuff that the 12" sub was putting out, but you can definitely feel it thumping, the mirrors are shaking again and I'm driving around with a huge shit-eating grin on my face once more.

Although the QX2180 only puts out 50 watts per channel when not bridged, the sound coming from the front end now is fantastic. By the way, if you think your "4x45 watt" radio is really putting out 45 watts per channel, you're smoking crack. For now, I'm completely happy, as I didn't lose any trunk space, the amplifier is invisible, and the sound up front is fantastic. If I had a four channel amp I could drive the back speakers as well, but having just the fronts going for now is definitely acceptable.

Next up on the list is changing the front speakers/tweeters, but I'm definitely not in a hurry to do this now.

Just my $0.02

Jens

#287961 - 03/12/01 12:12 PM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
Bobby Offline

Loc: 3small city
Heya Jens

Very nice info. Thank you for putting it up =)

Looking forward to hearing about the front speaker replacement smile

Bobby

#287962 - 03/12/01 03:44 PM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
koalakilla Offline

Loc: Woodlands, TX
I really liked the basic setup i had in my truck, just 2 10" subs in a box, with a real nice amp powering them. I really hope all the equipment still works, and the wrecker didnt jack my amp while its in his yard.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: koalakilla ]
SWXC Member #74

#287963 - 04/12/01 05:46 AM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
Angel Offline

Loc: maimi,fl
hey nice set up o can't wait to see how it trun out so when you finsh post some pic i would like to see. i have 2 12 in my x with an amp check out my pic and just added 2 tv but need to post the pics laugh

#287964 - 04/12/01 06:05 AM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
Jimithing Offline

Loc: Boston
Hey Angel if you ever get a chance I am looking at getting those clear corners post a pick of the whole front end of your truck so I can see how they look.
thanx

#287965 - 04/12/01 09:09 AM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Sorry for getting a little off topic, but here a picture of my truck with the clear corners.

I'm in the process of building a new system for my truck. I used to run a set of 12" subs in a sealed box powered a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400 with the rest of the speakers running off the stock unit but my amp shorted out on me.

For my new system, I just bought an Alpine 7977 headunit. I will be powering a set of MB Quart 6-1/2" components in the front doors and a set 5-1/4" in the rear doors off an MTX Thunder 204 amp and a set of subs off an MTX Thunder 152 amp. I haven't decided on what size sub to get or how many since I want to do an install that will take up very little cargo space.

As with what superjens said, having an amp powering your front & rear speakers will make a world of difference. If you like the stock head unit and you want a little oomphhff (sp?) I would just add an amp. Just keep in mind that the stock unit does not have RCA outs so you will need an amp that will accepts high level inputs or you will need one of those low line converters.

[edit to add] Some people would argue that the rear speakers are totally unecessary and that they will be drowned out if you're running subs in the back. To me, it's all a matter of personal preferences. Personally, I can't really hear the rear 6x9's from the front seat. It pretty much sounds the same if I had the fader all the way on the front speakers when compared to having the fade controls balanced. Given this conclusion, I personally feel it's not worth upgrading the stock 6x9's. Even when I sit in the back seat, the rear speakers add little fill to the overall soundstage.[/edit]

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: lil_pino ]

#287966 - 04/12/01 10:19 AM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
Jimithing Offline

If you are looking to add a little more sound asides from the boom boom of your subs I put a tweeter on each side of the truck above the rear seat, they are just a little above head level when someone is sitting down and man what a difference it makes.

#287967 - 04/12/01 10:24 AM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimithing:
If you are looking to add a little more sound asides from the boom boom of your subs I put a tweeter on each side of the truck above the rear seat, they are just a little above head level when someone is sitting down and man what a difference it makes.

Pics? I'd like to see that.

#287968 - 04/12/01 11:35 AM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
Jimithing Offline

This is not my truck but this is what the tweeters look like, you will get the idea.

eek

#287969 - 04/12/01 11:40 AM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
p.i.n.o. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimithing:

Cool, that's what I plan on doing. Having the tweeters mount up there and the mid bass mounted in a kick panel on the rear door.

Hey Jimithing, do you have a page listed on sounddomain.com? Anyways, here are some pics of those tweeter mounts.

I personally like this install better

#287970 - 04/12/01 11:42 AM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
p.i.n.o. Offline

Damn, you beat me to it! laugh

#287971 - 04/12/01 11:45 AM Re: Xterra Xperiments (with audio)
Jimithing Offline

Not yet, once I get my custom box done whenever I find someone to do it I will post it up there. If anyone knows of anyone who would do a custom box for an Xterra feel free to let me know.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Jimithing ]

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal