2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#291693 - 29/09/02 01:39 AM Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
I'm working on an inclinometer for my Xterra. I want to be able to incorporate it into my digital dashboard. I've looked on the internet for inclinometer manufacturers, but the prices are outrageous. I've decided to build my own. What I need is somebody like Electroken(hint, hint)to help me with the circuitry. I plan on building a capacitive resistance type. I'll build a circular tube with three magnet wire sensors and filled with glycol. Any suggestions on what current to run through it and how to change the output to digital using a microprocessor? I will be building one for each axis, so a circuit that can handle two inputs would be ideal. If I get this working, I'd be happy to help figure out how to make a stand alone unit for those interested. Thanks in advance.

#291694 - 29/09/02 05:13 AM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

Ok, I've been out in the garage experimenting with wire and glass and have determined that I can probably build one of these:

We use gallons of glycol at work(don't ask). I can get some large normal saline ampules that have expired from there as well. I should have a working model in 24 hours. Please let me know if any of you electrical engineers out there can help me. Let me know what info you need to make this thing tell me what angle my truck is leaning. I love Macgyvering crap like this.

#291695 - 29/09/02 11:19 PM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

My fingers are burned to a crisp, but I have one that is working intermittantly. I'll continue working on my technique and maybe I'll get something more dependable. Is anyone interested in this or should I delete this thread?

#291696 - 29/09/02 11:51 PM Re: Inclinometer
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Always interested in people coming up with new ideas for the X. Just is a bit to high tech for me.

#291697 - 30/09/02 12:24 AM Re: Inclinometer
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrian:
I love Macgyvering crap like this.
Quote:
Is anyone interested in this or should I delete this thread?
Don't delete this thread... I like Macgyvered stuff. laugh cool

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#291698 - 30/09/02 12:58 AM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

OK, now I know why they're so expensive. I think I'm going to give up on making my own for now. I have rigged an old RC servo to do the job. I just ripped the guts out and am using just the pot and gears to damp movement. I attached an old fishing weight to the servo arm to allow the weight to adjust the resistance. Now I just need that electronics help to change the output to digital. Any takers? I guess I can figure it out on my own if I have to. I'd like to bring the info into my computer via the LPT1 port. Since I don't have a printer the port is unused. On a side note I pulled my dashboard out of the truck this weekend and took measurements to replace it with two touchscreen LCDs. Can anyone say GPS in the dash? I think it will be a bit better than indiglo and will be completely customizable.

#291699 - 30/09/02 08:34 AM Re: Inclinometer
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Xterrian,

I've got an old mechanical clinometer/altimeter pod from an older 4Runner that you might be able to hook up some electronical doo-dads to to take a reading from somehow. Hell, you can even see the internals of it here:
http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml
Click on the Clinometer Tweaks link.

You want it, I'll send it to ya, no charge.
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#291700 - 30/09/02 09:16 AM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

Thanks for the offer Brent, but being the high tech geek that I am, I insist on an electronic solution. I called Fredericks Sensors this morning and talked with one of their engineers. He pointed out the exact part number I'll need for my application and then connected me with sales. A very nice lady with a Bavarian accent talked to me and offered to send a free sample. I explained that I was an individual doing a one-off, but she insisted that I wouldn't pay for it. So now I need circuitry gurus to chime in. I actually got the very same sensor that I posted in the picture above, only with a metalic casing to withstand heat and not shatter in an automotive application. Two axis of measure + - 60 degrees for the price of none! I can't wait to get it! Thanks again for your kind offer Brent.

#291701 - 30/09/02 09:36 AM Re: Inclinometer
firefighter Offline

Xterrian,
Take a look at this it is a four channel A-D converter. Should do everything that you want. Now with this it connects to Dallas Semiconductors propritary 1-Wire bus but from there you can go to serial or printer port.

-Mike

#291702 - 30/09/02 09:59 AM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

That looks like a begining. I'll need to do more research before I commit to any one idea. It took me most of the day yesterday and all night just to pick a sensor type. Thanks for the link. It is now bookmarked.

#291703 - 01/10/02 10:49 PM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

OK, it looks like, from my research, that I have to build an oscillating circuit with a schmitt trigger. If anybody here has ever heard of these things let me know. Otherwise, I will have to go spend time on an electronics message board. I really don't want to go somewhere else and be the newbie that gets told to do a search. I will if I have to, but I'd rather not. Any takers?

#291704 - 02/10/02 08:59 AM Re: Inclinometer
20-100 Offline

Loc: Quebec, QC, Canada
If I understand correctly the principle of the sensor you want to use, it's a glass ampule filled with a conductive solution. There are 4 wires around and one in the center, the more a wire is immerged in the solution, the more current (or voltage) it conduce.

I this correct ? If yes, I can help you with the circuit. Again, if I understand well, you want to do two separate circuit (one for the left-right, the other for front-rear).

#291705 - 02/10/02 09:33 AM Re: Inclinometer
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
Xterrian,
I'm sorry that I haven't read this thread until today. Here at work we began a tilt sensing project that used the exact same glass sensors that you're trying to use. It got shelved for cost reasons.

The math needed to make sense of the signal from the center pin of those sensors gets hairy. It turned out to be too much for any microcontroller in our price range. Another obstacle is that we were trying to resolve angles to 1/10 of a degree.

Only one A/D converter is needed. A square wave is applied alternately to the pins at opposite corners of the sensor. The resulting signal at the center pin carries all of the information you need to derive the tilt in two axes.

Some advice about that sensor:
The output from the center pin is high impedance and must be followed with a good op amp before you go anywhere with it. The distance between the op amp and the sensor must be short. Don't apply DC to the sensor or you'll kill it.

Another and possibly more suitable sensor is the ADXL202E from Analog Devices. Its output is two PWM signals that carry the tilt data for two axes. This device is much easier to tame.

#291706 - 02/10/02 10:26 AM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

Thanks to 20-100 and Electroken for responding. I left out the DC killing the sensor part in my posts just to make sure that the person responding knew what the hell they were talking about. I looked into the ADXL202E, but it seemed to me that it was actually an accelerometer and could have problems centering properly if started while on an incline. I may be wrong, but I couldn't get anybody where they were sold to state emphaticaly that this wouldn't be a problem. I'll be happy with a +-2 degree solution, so it doesn't seem like that hard of a sensor to get usable results for me. If it's too complicated to do it myself, I can always purchase their solution for $100. I was trying to keep the project under $100 total. I'll still have to build a serial adapter and buy a serial to usb adapter as well. I'm easily looking at $150 if I go with their solution. There is a downloadable data sheet at the Fredericks Sensors site I posted above, with test circuits and some information that may be helpful in building a reasonable circuit. Electroken, you are the shiznit when it comes to electrical questions here, so if you say scrap it and go with the ADXL202E, I probably will. Let me know what you think. I am probably getting too high tech anyway. What do you think about the gutless servo with just the pot and gears to damp movement?

#291707 - 02/10/02 10:50 AM Re: Inclinometer
ElectroKen Offline

Yeah, the ADXL202 is an accelerometer but in this case it's measuring the accereration due to gravity. In my evaluations of the part I found it to be quite repeatable. Once the microcontroller was taught where straight and level was it always found it again.

Grab application note AN715 from Microchip:

http://www.microchip.com/1010/suppdoc/appnote/all/an715/958/index.htm

It's interesting stuff.

#291708 - 02/10/02 01:00 PM Re: Inclinometer
20-100 Offline

Loc: Quebec, QC, Canada
I bow before you ElectroKen.

And maybe you can answer me: The circuit I was thinking about was derived from a Wheatstone bridge to detect very small changes on resistances between the side pins and the center pins. Did running a very small DC current (in the range of 10 micro amps) can ruin such a sensor ?

#291709 - 02/10/02 01:36 PM Re: Inclinometer
ElectroKen Offline

I don't really know the threshold for damage to the electrolytic sensors due to a DC bias. The folks that make them are very secretive about the magic goo and aren't too specific about the mode of destruction.

#291710 - 02/10/02 02:02 PM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

Very interesting paper, but once again it never specifically states that the zero will be there if the device is powered down and up again. I think they are fuzzy on this information on purpose. Yes, once it's calibrated at zero, I have no doubt that it will be able to tell when it gets to zero again. My problem occurs when I park on an incline and get out of my truck to take a picture or spot terrain. I get back in and start the truck while sitting on a 10 degree slope. Now the inclinometer thinks I'm at zero and I'm ten degrees off until I stop again.

#291711 - 02/10/02 02:50 PM Re: Inclinometer
rja377 Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Xterrian,

The ADXL202E that Ken suggests is an absolute, not a relative, device. The zero is always "at the same spot". And since it's two-axis, you can also determine your longitudinal pitch, and therefore, with a bit of math, your power...

Regards,
Richard.

#291712 - 02/10/02 03:12 PM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

My power?

#291713 - 02/10/02 05:25 PM Re: Inclinometer
ElectroKen Offline

I've tried the ADXL202 and I'll swear on the hood of my X that it will still know what's level even after you cycle the power to it. It has some other handy features too, like being able to low-pass its response right on the chip to reduce output changes from bumps and vibration.

I'm sure that many people have made the electrolytic sensors work, but I found them to be a major pain in the ass and not worth the trouble.

Added for clarification:
The microcontroller that decodes the PWM signals is what actually remembers where "flat" is upon power up.

#291714 - 03/10/02 04:06 AM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

Can you get me one, or suggest a supplier?

#291715 - 03/10/02 05:05 AM Re: Inclinometer
ElectroKen Offline

The whole part number is ADXL202AE. It comes in a leadless SMT package so I hope your soldering skills are good!

I have two samples coming, which is the maximum that Analog Devices will send because they're $12 each. I'll gladly send you one of them. You can order 2 more of your own as samples if you can sound reasonably convincing at their sample request page.

Go here:

http://products.analog.com/products/info.asp?product=ADXL202

#291716 - 03/10/02 07:10 AM Re: Inclinometer
rja377 Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Quote:
My power?
Okay,okay! Your vehicle's rear-wheel power, then!

Regards,
Richard.

#291717 - 03/10/02 07:23 AM Re: Inclinometer
Xterrian Offline

Does the sample include the micro controller? What else will I have to buy to make an inclinometer that can input to the serial port? Do I have to get a hexidecimal converter? $12 isn't bad at all. I won't lie to them to get free samples, my integrity is worth more than $24. I'll try calling and see what they say when I explain what I'm doing. Is anybody interested in a stand alone unit with a character LCD output?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal