2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#292913 - 13/10/03 11:39 AM Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Loc: South Central PA
Alright people, the X needs some better traffic warning power. I will be receiving a Code 3 MX 7000, 48" long. My question is what to do with the 1/2" cable bundle that must be routed inside. Any ideas? I figured I would ask here since some of you guys have roof mounted offroad lights that have hefty cables running to them.

And yes this is for true emergency calls. The X is run on all Search and Rescue calls. Hence my name.

If you want a better idea of the bar I am talking about look here: http://www.code3pse.com/productdtl.asp?grp=cd3&familyid=1&id=2

#292914 - 13/10/03 12:56 PM Re: Full size light bar
visser Offline

Loc: Southwest Florida
Nice lightbar - is it the incandescent or LED version? Where do you want to mount the switch panel? Did you say you do have a sunroof?

I have not installed an external lightbar on my Xterra, but currently have Whelen strobes mounted all over. Four internal Dashmisers mounted facing out the rear on top, two hide-a-way strobes in the rear turn signal lights and a brake/reverse light flasher. On the front I have two hide-a-ways in the corner lights, two strobes mounted behind the grill, dashking above the rear-view mirror and LED slim-lighter mounted on the upper part of the passenger side front window. Also wig-way headlights and two Talon LED lights facing out both sides of the rear cargo area windows. You can't miss me with all those lights! cool Expensive setup, but I pieced it together over the past few years little by little. I wanted something that did not stand out when I did not need them, and most people don't even notice the lights when they are off which is nice. Not sure if you made the purchase yet, but Whelen has their new Patriot LED lightbar which looks really sweet... http://www.whelen.com/ll1428.htm

I'm sure some other guys (and gals) will post with some tips. Good luck and have fun with the install and keep us updated.

TLV

#292915 - 13/10/03 01:12 PM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why are you using an X for SAR? Where is this? Is the X your personal vehicle?

#292916 - 13/10/03 01:58 PM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

WOW! Visser I bet you cannot be missed at an intersection. I had single deck blaster on the dash and a dual in the rear window. But I happened to come across this MX 7000 for real cheap and figured what the heck, it will be diffrent. It is the halogen version with 4 rotators, 2 intersection sweeps, 2 flashers, 2 alleys and 2 take downs. I figured on making a switch panel to custom fit inside the center console. That is the only realistic place. Yeah I have a sunroof so I think this bar is going to be customed mounted behind it. Well see, i will post pictures of it once I am done. How did you make out with the rear tail light flasher? Did you just buy one of the ones you see in Galls or something?

Suspect 2: I am one of the founders for SCPASAR or South Central PA Search and Rescue. The X is a really good equipment/command vechicle. ALso I am Fire Fighter for a York County Fire Company.

#292917 - 13/10/03 02:31 PM Re: Full size light bar
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Well if you want a clean look to your X on the install then you should run the wires thru the roof racks tubes and tap a small hole thru the roof for the wires to run thru and then in between the headliner to the dash.....

Thats how I'm gonna re-route the wires for my lightbar... wink

#292918 - 13/10/03 03:46 PM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

RI: I considered drilling into the side of the tube and then running the wires down to the forward feet. My question is, what is directly below the feet of the Rack? And will the gasket around the feet seal the hole?

#292919 - 13/10/03 04:19 PM Re: Full size light bar
visser Offline

Loc: Southwest Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by SARXterra:
I figured on making a switch panel to custom fit inside the center console. That is the only realistic place. Yeah I have a sunroof so I think this bar is going to be customed mounted behind it. Well see, i will post pictures of it once I am done. How did you make out with the rear tail light flasher? Did you just buy one of the ones you see in Galls or something?
When I researched the tail light flasher I became a bit nervous when reading some of the problems with them on Crown Vics so I decided to go a different route. I purchased a Whelen UFM8 Halogen flasher (looks like a strobe power supply) with eight outlets. Then, I purchased four hide-a-way halogen bulbs and drilled new holes into the reverse and brake light housings. I have the halogens in the brake light housing alternating with the halogens in the reverse light housing. This kept the stock reverse and brake lights untouched. They are really bright, however, I have not had any problems with melting plastic, etc. I'm not sure if they still make the UFM8 as I wasn't able to locate it on their website. (I purchased my unit in December of 2000) If you are interested in going this route at some point, let me know and I'll check into it a little more. The only problem is you have to run a lot of wires to the back of the truck!

As far as my control switch panel, I have a 4X2 automatic tranny so I used the area right in front of (above) the trans shifter to mount my switchs. I used some standard radio shack toggle switches and small led lights so I can tell which lights are activated. All the relays, etc are stuffed inside. It was a total pain in the butt to sodder everything under such tight spaces, but I managed to do it with A LOT of patience. I also messed up drilling my first plastic piece so I had to order a replacement from Nissan for ~$20. I have a total of six switches with leds mounted on there so I can control which lights I turn on. (If I only need rear warning, for example)

TLV

#292920 - 13/10/03 04:57 PM Re: Full size light bar
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Any pics of Xterras decked out with strobes, roof lights, etc???

#292921 - 13/10/03 05:14 PM Re: Full size light bar
Canadian5150 Offline

My question Exactly...

Sounds like one hell of an impressive set up !!!

As usual we want to see how it looks !!!

#292922 - 13/10/03 05:17 PM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Visser: Thats cool idea....The way you did your switches sounds cool...I figured that I could take 6 micro heavy duty switches from Rad Shack and take a peice of alumin cut holes and mount a little shelf inside the center console. Thay way I could run the wires from the battery completly under the console. My only concern is bar length..I hope it does not overhang to much or it will look horable. Any way, I just rigged a Fire Beam to a 5 flash mirror. I think I may mount that up side down in the back window.

BigE515: Man, let me get the bar on and all the wiring in place an I will even upload a small video of the setup.

#292923 - 13/10/03 07:21 PM Re: Full size light bar
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian5150:
My question Exactly...

Sounds like one hell of an impressive set up !!!

As usual we want to see how it looks !!!
video would be better, the EMS xterra's I have tried to photograph with lights on haven't come out so great.

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#292924 - 13/10/03 07:56 PM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of you with the 1din steros that some trucks came with there is a really nice siren/swichbox from England that I'll post a link to tomorrow.

-Mike

#292925 - 13/10/03 08:55 PM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont know man... in most states its illegal to outfit a civilian vehicle with emergency equipment. I don't know the rules since this is voluntary and all. I am guessing you don't have state/local funding?

#292926 - 14/10/03 12:22 AM Re: Full size light bar
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Actually it is not Suspect. Most states have a provision for volunteer firefighters and such to have a certain color light In Illinois all they can have is blue with no siren. Others can have blue with siren. Some red and blue.

It is more common than you think.

I have two deckblasters in my back window and two hideaway strobes in my front turn signal lights. And a dashking in my front window behind the mirror. I will try and take video of it and post it.

#292927 - 14/10/03 04:35 AM Re: Full size light bar
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
RI: I considered drilling into the side of the tube and then running the wires down to the forward feet. My question is, what is directly below the feet of the Rack? And will the gasket around the feet seal the hole?
The gasket probably won't seal the hole well enough, so I would use some silicone caulking around the wires...

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#292928 - 14/10/03 04:42 AM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Suspect: The law states for PA that Volunteers can run blue on blue lights with no head light flashers. You need 1 360* light and then you can get away with usually anything. Now Cheifs of both fire and EMS are allowed to run Red/Red, Red/Clear with any lighting they choose, since a cheif vehicle is registered in the state as a emergency vehicle. I have run both, but now since we are a small SAR group, I only run blue since I volunteer as a fire fighter and do Search and Rescue as well.

Usually the State police do not bother you unless you are driving like a dick and causing more danger to traffic then is nesscary.

austinbrtndr:

I figured that the gasket would not seal the hole...Trying not to make this a permant attachment, but going down thru the tube, even if I take the bar off would be better cause the hole would be covered and easlily concealed.

#292929 - 14/10/03 06:14 AM Re: Full size light bar
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by austinbrtndr:
Quote:
[b]RI: I considered drilling into the side of the tube and then running the wires down to the forward feet. My question is, what is directly below the feet of the Rack? And will the gasket around the feet seal the hole?
The gasket probably won't seal the hole well enough, so I would use some silicone caulking around the wires...[/b]
Thats pretty much what I was thinking of using..

#292930 - 21/10/03 03:22 PM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Ok people you asked for the pictures, here is the test fit stage of the MX7000 on my roof...Let me know what you think.

#292931 - 21/10/03 06:09 PM Re: Full size light bar
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
If looks matter to you, I think it would look much better if it was more forward on the rack. Just my .00000000002.

#292932 - 22/10/03 06:12 PM Re: Full size light bar
Canadian5150 Offline

LOL That was my first thought as well... just a little too far back, I would look at moving it forward !!!

#292933 - 22/10/03 08:12 PM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Emergency equipment must be 360 visable.

I would reccommend getting rid of the light bar and strobing the X out along with some blue/red strobes in the front and rear window.

Then again... I would never outfit my own X with emergency equipment. Just seems like a bad idea for insurance reasons and all.

Then again... I am in a big ass city and not in a rural setting. That may make a difference.

#292934 - 23/10/03 04:49 AM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Well thanks people for your input, the reason that I have it sitting back on first cross bar is becasuse in the winter I put the gear basket and defelctor back on. The bar sits directly behind where the gear basket sits. And also I have the sunroof to take into consideration when mounting this.

Suspect2: are you in Baltimore? The reason I have emergency lights on my peronsal vehicle is because PA emergency services are not state funded so we don't have the funds to purchase 'company' vehicles as of yet but we are working towards that. You are correct in worrying about insurance issues, but my insurance is aware of what the X gets used for and also the company is insured against personal vehicle damage if responding to an emergency call and I am not at fault.

Thanks again guys for your input.

#292935 - 23/10/03 05:16 AM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

DC

#292936 - 23/10/03 05:25 AM Re: Full size light bar
mmUTK Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Quote:
Originally posted by visser:
Whelen has their new Patriot LED lightbar which looks really sweet... http://www.whelen.com/ll1428.htm

TLV
We have the fully functional LED version of the lightbar on our new fire truck that we took delivery of last month. It's very sweet.

#292937 - 23/10/03 05:31 AM Re: Full size light bar
mmUTK Offline

On a second note, SAR that light bar looks like shit on the X. I think any lightbar looks light shit on an Xterra.
It also makes you look like a squirrel (you FOs and POs know what I mean).

I have hide away strobes in all corners of my Xterra, LEDs hidden away in the roof line of the rear window, and wig wag headlights. All not visible when off and highly visible 360 degree protection when on.
I would reccomend something like that.

#292938 - 23/10/03 05:38 AM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

mmUTK: Thats cool, you are entitled to your own opinion, I was going to do the hidden look and might just do that in the future if the price is right on a 6 outlet strobe supply but that will leave permant marks on the xterra, all thought they will be hidden, if I ever remove the stobes or trade this X in for a newer one there will be holes in the markers lights and tail lights. But for now, the bar is what I got and I feel it will be ok for now and its only mounted to the cross bar with carriage bolts, so it can come off easily if needed too. Also the term squirrel or whacker only applies to people that have so much god dam emergency lights on there vehicles that you wonder how the hell they can drive it with out frying the electrical system. I only have that 1 bar nothing else, no need for anything else.

#292939 - 23/10/03 07:07 AM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a side not I think a light bar makes A LOT of sense for SAR... for the simple fact that the troubled people might be more prone to see that (higher up, viewable from all angles, ect). I'm just not to keen on the look of it on the X. The roof rack just kills it.

#292940 - 23/10/03 09:23 AM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Not a bad point Suspect, I have thought thru sevreal options about emergency lighting, and even the NFPA still states that a rotating halogen light has the best warning ability. So I am going to mount the bar and run with it for a while, if it becomes problematic, then I will sell it and do what mmUTK did and buy a 6 outlet pwr supply and put strobes at all 4 corners and something in the front and rear glass. I also have stared at that picture all day today, after what you guys have said and found that if I forget about putting the gear basket back in and move the bar forward, I think that would remove some of the akwardness...but the roof rack does kill the look

#292941 - 23/10/03 01:50 PM Re: Full size light bar
mmUTK Offline

If you ever need pics or instructions on Strobe holes, supply, running wires, or LED's I have pictures of the installs.

#292942 - 23/10/03 01:54 PM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can you send the pics to me? suspect2@comcast.net

#292943 - 23/10/03 01:59 PM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mmUTK:
If you ever need pics or instructions on Strobe holes, supply, running wires, or LED's I have pictures of the installs.
Same here, michael.westman@bellevuevfd.org

Thanks

#292944 - 25/10/03 03:37 AM Re: Full size light bar
irsa76 Offline

Loc: Queanbeyan Australia
Have you looked at the Britax/Code 3 420 minibar?
Had an amber 1 on my old VW service van and it was great. I used to get flash reflections of signs in daylight.

#292945 - 25/10/03 06:59 AM Re: Full size light bar
BoneCrusher Offline

Loc: In a Bar near YOU!
Hey
SARXterra

What part of South Central are you in. I actually live in North Wales, Work in Conshy, and go to School on City Line

The area you show in your photo looks kinda like the conshohoken area.

Anyway nice Lightbar, Lets see that movie !!!

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

99% of democrats give the rest a bad name

Liberals are constantly Inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns.

#292946 - 25/10/03 08:36 PM Re: Full size light bar
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
SARXterra's X does look official but I like visser's and mmUTK's setup. I don't know what the regulations in CA are with regards to lighting, though. Currently, I'm under training with San Diego Mountain Rescue Team (SDMRT).

#292947 - 27/10/03 09:00 PM Re: Full size light bar
xterran01 Offline

Loc: Houston
Just FYI - I have had my roof rack off a couple of times and the "gaskets" under the feet of the rack do not seal it much at all. In fact the roof gutters run directly under the front feet on my '00 so there is actually a small gap under the center. The gaskets are made of a fairly hard plastic and moisture can get under them. Also, if you do run the wires down the tubes you might have to split the harness to get around the little threaded insert that holds the foot in place. Any hole you drill in the roof ought to be sealed and rustproofed independently of the gasket and foot - maybe you should consider running the wiring harness up from the interior and installing an extra inline connector (depending on how many conductors are in the harness) so you can do the wiring in the roof rack independently and then make the connection as you're reinstalling the rack, stuffing the wiring and connector up into the foot before screwing it back to the roof. You will see when you disassemble it that there is not a lot of room to work with because of the way the thing is constructed. For the trouble this might end up being, you might want to think about just running the harness outside of the legs and drilling a roof hole just inboard of one of the feet so you can seal it properly. You could probably find a decent watertight aircraft-type connector that you could mount flush right into the roof so you could remove the light bar occasionally without worrying about plugging holes. Good luck with it!

#292948 - 29/10/03 03:17 AM Re: Full size light bar
Paul H Offline

Sorry just got around to taking video of my strobes. Due to them being strobes it played havoc with my camera so keep in mind they flash a lot more than in the video but it at least gives you a visual on placement.
Here

#292949 - 29/10/03 05:29 AM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Well folks after 4 1/2 hours of mounting, bitching, cursing and genrally pulling my hair out. I gave up on the light bar. I don't want to drill a hole in the roof to run the wiring and the only other way would be to strip the wiring harness of its protective sheath and run only the nesscary control wires inside thru the gap in the back hatch. All though this is still an option, I think I might sell the bar and go with an internal approach with 2 strobes front and 2 rear and a mini bar on one of the cross bars. This will give me the 360* of light but also lessen the load on the electrical system. Any way it was nice to see an Xterra with a lightbar mounted, but too much dam work to make it work.

Paul that looks great, what strobes and power suppply are using and were did you mount the power supply?

Bonecrusher I think you got my location confused, I am in South Central Pennsylvannia.

#292950 - 29/10/03 12:29 PM Re: Full size light bar
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
can you peel back the wiring from the wrap and split it into 2 looms? this way you could run each half down the rear gap?

#292951 - 29/10/03 01:34 PM Re: Full size light bar
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
I thought someone was going to post a video of their X with emergency lights?!?!?!

#292952 - 29/10/03 06:48 PM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Emt_diver: I could do that, the wires that run from the bar are small in diameter but the ground cable is at least 10 gauage. Now you take 8, 14 gauge wires and wrap them around a 10 gauge wire and the cover the darn thing with a plastic sheath...You've got a wire loom that is akward to work with..If I cut the sheath off wear it would run into the gap in the rear, that would allow me to get all the wires in but the run the risk of being damaged do to the fact that the protective sheath is cut off. I will take a better look at this weekend and see if it is workable if it is then the bar will be mounted and wired by Sunday and I will have pics up by Monday night.

#292953 - 29/10/03 09:16 PM Re: Full size light bar
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
I thought someone was going to post a video of their X with emergency lights?!?!?!
See my post

#292954 - 29/10/03 09:18 PM Re: Full size light bar
Paul H Offline

BTW I have a wheelen dashking in the front window and two code 3 deckblasters in the rear window. The corner strobes are Novus. It is a 4 head unit and I plan to add two more in the rear tail lights soon. My power supply is mounted under the passenger seat.

#292955 - 31/10/03 04:05 PM Re: Full size light bar
mmUTK Offline

PICS OF INSTALL AS REQUESTED...

Drilled holes in rear lights with special saw and special blade.

Strobes fit in as shown.

Ran wires through cut grommit

Strobes flash alternate by color as shown on above diagram. LED lights are mounted from room on inside. Not seen through tented windows unless on.

Switch Local
(random pic)

I ran all wires through driverside gromit, I can't find any pics of LED or switch installs.
I will take a pic of switch local and post it here, you will just have to do your own LED stuff.

Hope this helps
Questions?? PM me...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal