2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#292938 - 23/10/03 05:38 AM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Loc: South Central PA
mmUTK: Thats cool, you are entitled to your own opinion, I was going to do the hidden look and might just do that in the future if the price is right on a 6 outlet strobe supply but that will leave permant marks on the xterra, all thought they will be hidden, if I ever remove the stobes or trade this X in for a newer one there will be holes in the markers lights and tail lights. But for now, the bar is what I got and I feel it will be ok for now and its only mounted to the cross bar with carriage bolts, so it can come off easily if needed too. Also the term squirrel or whacker only applies to people that have so much god dam emergency lights on there vehicles that you wonder how the hell they can drive it with out frying the electrical system. I only have that 1 bar nothing else, no need for anything else.

#292939 - 23/10/03 07:07 AM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a side not I think a light bar makes A LOT of sense for SAR... for the simple fact that the troubled people might be more prone to see that (higher up, viewable from all angles, ect). I'm just not to keen on the look of it on the X. The roof rack just kills it.

#292940 - 23/10/03 09:23 AM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Not a bad point Suspect, I have thought thru sevreal options about emergency lighting, and even the NFPA still states that a rotating halogen light has the best warning ability. So I am going to mount the bar and run with it for a while, if it becomes problematic, then I will sell it and do what mmUTK did and buy a 6 outlet pwr supply and put strobes at all 4 corners and something in the front and rear glass. I also have stared at that picture all day today, after what you guys have said and found that if I forget about putting the gear basket back in and move the bar forward, I think that would remove some of the akwardness...but the roof rack does kill the look

#292941 - 23/10/03 01:50 PM Re: Full size light bar
mmUTK Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
If you ever need pics or instructions on Strobe holes, supply, running wires, or LED's I have pictures of the installs.

#292942 - 23/10/03 01:54 PM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can you send the pics to me? suspect2@comcast.net

#292943 - 23/10/03 01:59 PM Re: Full size light bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mmUTK:
If you ever need pics or instructions on Strobe holes, supply, running wires, or LED's I have pictures of the installs.
Same here, michael.westman@bellevuevfd.org

Thanks

#292944 - 25/10/03 03:37 AM Re: Full size light bar
irsa76 Offline

Loc: Queanbeyan Australia
Have you looked at the Britax/Code 3 420 minibar?
Had an amber 1 on my old VW service van and it was great. I used to get flash reflections of signs in daylight.

#292945 - 25/10/03 06:59 AM Re: Full size light bar
BoneCrusher Offline

Loc: In a Bar near YOU!
Hey
SARXterra

What part of South Central are you in. I actually live in North Wales, Work in Conshy, and go to School on City Line

The area you show in your photo looks kinda like the conshohoken area.

Anyway nice Lightbar, Lets see that movie !!!

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

99% of democrats give the rest a bad name

Liberals are constantly Inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns.

#292946 - 25/10/03 08:36 PM Re: Full size light bar
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
SARXterra's X does look official but I like visser's and mmUTK's setup. I don't know what the regulations in CA are with regards to lighting, though. Currently, I'm under training with San Diego Mountain Rescue Team (SDMRT).

#292947 - 27/10/03 09:00 PM Re: Full size light bar
xterran01 Offline

Loc: Houston
Just FYI - I have had my roof rack off a couple of times and the "gaskets" under the feet of the rack do not seal it much at all. In fact the roof gutters run directly under the front feet on my '00 so there is actually a small gap under the center. The gaskets are made of a fairly hard plastic and moisture can get under them. Also, if you do run the wires down the tubes you might have to split the harness to get around the little threaded insert that holds the foot in place. Any hole you drill in the roof ought to be sealed and rustproofed independently of the gasket and foot - maybe you should consider running the wiring harness up from the interior and installing an extra inline connector (depending on how many conductors are in the harness) so you can do the wiring in the roof rack independently and then make the connection as you're reinstalling the rack, stuffing the wiring and connector up into the foot before screwing it back to the roof. You will see when you disassemble it that there is not a lot of room to work with because of the way the thing is constructed. For the trouble this might end up being, you might want to think about just running the harness outside of the legs and drilling a roof hole just inboard of one of the feet so you can seal it properly. You could probably find a decent watertight aircraft-type connector that you could mount flush right into the roof so you could remove the light bar occasionally without worrying about plugging holes. Good luck with it!

#292948 - 29/10/03 03:17 AM Re: Full size light bar
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Sorry just got around to taking video of my strobes. Due to them being strobes it played havoc with my camera so keep in mind they flash a lot more than in the video but it at least gives you a visual on placement.
Here

#292949 - 29/10/03 05:29 AM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Well folks after 4 1/2 hours of mounting, bitching, cursing and genrally pulling my hair out. I gave up on the light bar. I don't want to drill a hole in the roof to run the wiring and the only other way would be to strip the wiring harness of its protective sheath and run only the nesscary control wires inside thru the gap in the back hatch. All though this is still an option, I think I might sell the bar and go with an internal approach with 2 strobes front and 2 rear and a mini bar on one of the cross bars. This will give me the 360* of light but also lessen the load on the electrical system. Any way it was nice to see an Xterra with a lightbar mounted, but too much dam work to make it work.

Paul that looks great, what strobes and power suppply are using and were did you mount the power supply?

Bonecrusher I think you got my location confused, I am in South Central Pennsylvannia.

#292950 - 29/10/03 12:29 PM Re: Full size light bar
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
can you peel back the wiring from the wrap and split it into 2 looms? this way you could run each half down the rear gap?

#292951 - 29/10/03 01:34 PM Re: Full size light bar
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
I thought someone was going to post a video of their X with emergency lights?!?!?!

#292952 - 29/10/03 06:48 PM Re: Full size light bar
SARXterra Offline

Emt_diver: I could do that, the wires that run from the bar are small in diameter but the ground cable is at least 10 gauage. Now you take 8, 14 gauge wires and wrap them around a 10 gauge wire and the cover the darn thing with a plastic sheath...You've got a wire loom that is akward to work with..If I cut the sheath off wear it would run into the gap in the rear, that would allow me to get all the wires in but the run the risk of being damaged do to the fact that the protective sheath is cut off. I will take a better look at this weekend and see if it is workable if it is then the bar will be mounted and wired by Sunday and I will have pics up by Monday night.

#292953 - 29/10/03 09:16 PM Re: Full size light bar
Paul H Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
I thought someone was going to post a video of their X with emergency lights?!?!?!
See my post

#292954 - 29/10/03 09:18 PM Re: Full size light bar
Paul H Offline

BTW I have a wheelen dashking in the front window and two code 3 deckblasters in the rear window. The corner strobes are Novus. It is a 4 head unit and I plan to add two more in the rear tail lights soon. My power supply is mounted under the passenger seat.

#292955 - 31/10/03 04:05 PM Re: Full size light bar
mmUTK Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
PICS OF INSTALL AS REQUESTED...

Drilled holes in rear lights with special saw and special blade.

Strobes fit in as shown.

Ran wires through cut grommit

Strobes flash alternate by color as shown on above diagram. LED lights are mounted from room on inside. Not seen through tented windows unless on.

Switch Local
(random pic)

I ran all wires through driverside gromit, I can't find any pics of LED or switch installs.
I will take a pic of switch local and post it here, you will just have to do your own LED stuff.

Hope this helps
Questions?? PM me...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal