2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#293039 - 19/04/05 06:29 PM My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wrapped up my CB Radio Install. I picked up a Cobra from Wally World for 59 bucks. All in all, it was a pretty easy install. It involved cutting a hole in the back of my lower pocket which I took my time with to get a nice clean cut with my dremel, and is mounted nice and secure now. I still have a space below where I can fit a few miscellaneous items.

If anyone wants pics displaying how I did the install, let me know and I'll post em..

#293040 - 20/04/05 07:06 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, that's exactly what I want to do! Can I see pictures of the install, plus any tips, advice, knowledge you could throw my way.... I have the same CB and looked into placing it there in my '04 but thought b/c of the computer or whatever it may be taht is behind the plastic it wouldn't be possible. You just made my day b/c I thought I was going to have to crowd the wife with an install in the place of the map holder locates on the right side of the center console. So when you get the chance, please post your pictures and anything else that you feel will be helpful. It looks great! Thanks!

#293041 - 20/04/05 07:13 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will warn you first, If you have the rockford fosgate setup, the amp was directly behind my pocket, but since I am not using it, I could remove it and had clearance for the CB.

I'll try to post pics and instructions later this evening..

#293042 - 20/04/05 07:16 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I guess that would make a difference..... hmmmmmm... Maybe I can move the amp to make it work.

#293043 - 20/04/05 07:26 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post the pics of the install.

#293044 - 20/04/05 08:41 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
mav63 Offline

Loc: DC
Hey, if you removed your amp, what do you have powering the speakers? I see it is the RF system so what gives??? Secret mod ?

#293045 - 20/04/05 11:25 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think he has an aftermarket set-up, other than the hu... But, I could be wrong... I'm thinking of moving the amp if it's possible so that I can do this install and retain the stock stereo.

#293046 - 20/04/05 02:07 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Looks good.. [ThumbsUp]

#293047 - 20/04/05 02:09 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did the same thing with my CB. But since mine looks bigger I had to remove the top half of the pocket.
Where did you put your antenna? I'm mounting mine through the plastic next to the rear bumper. I got a mount from a local CB shop and attached it using the bolts on the side of the bumper. Next I'm going to mark and drill a hole in the plastic for the antenna to pass though.

#293048 - 20/04/05 02:43 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

is that a DIN sized CB?

#293049 - 20/04/05 04:36 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I am using aftermarkert amps so I dont need the factory anymore.

Moving the amp would definitely be a pain as the wires dont give you much room to move the amp somewhere else and its quite big.

The antenna is not permanently mounted yet, its just a cheapy magnet mount to get me started.

Its about din-size or so, I'll get the exact dimensions later for ya as well

I'll post pics of the install in about an hour or so when I get home from work..

EDIT: Happy 100th post to me [ThumbsUp]

#293050 - 20/04/05 06:09 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heres how I did the install.

Step 1: Remove the dash panel and the lower panel below the radio. You also have to unscrew the center console and slide it back to get these out.

http://webpages.charter.net/mcarvalh/CB_Install/cbinstall1.jpg

Step 2: I had to remove the factory amp. Some trucks wont have this I assume. This is the hole that is left
http://webpages.charter.net/mcarvalh/CB_Install/cbinstall2.jpg

Step 3: Here is a pic of the amp removed to see the relative size that could be a problem when trying to mount in somewhere else. This comes out with 4 bolts and a little wiggling..

http://webpages.charter.net/mcarvalh/CB_Install/cbinstall3.jpg

Step 4: Checked the amount of clearance space I'll have now that the amp is gone....Plenty of room here now:

http://webpages.charter.net/mcarvalh/CB_Install/cbinstall4.jpg

Step 5: Remove the panel and mark of the hole where I will cut. I made it just wide enough, and had to enlarge it the second time around to make it work with the angle I'm mounting it at. I made it just big enough so it has some support on the bottom.

http://webpages.charter.net/mcarvalh/CB_Install/cbinstall5.jpg

Step 6: Made some measurements with a marker and drilled a hole in the side of the pocket. I can now screw the CB into the side using the supplied mounting screws.. I was lucky that the mounting holes happened to line up where I want the CB to be in the pocket.

http://webpages.charter.net/mcarvalh/CB_Install/cbinstall5b.jpg

Step 7: Tested out how it would look before wrapping it up. Looks good, and no clearance issues with the shifter or transfer case lever.

http://webpages.charter.net/mcarvalh/CB_Install/cbinstall6.jpg

Step 8: I grounded the Radio to a metal brace under the radio location. (Too much flash in the pic)

http://webpages.charter.net/mcarvalh/CB_Install/cbinstall8.jpg

Step 9: Wired up the CB to the factory radio wires. I think its green/red for ACC and red/yellow for 12V Constant.

http://webpages.charter.net/mcarvalh/CB_Install/cbinstall7.jpg

Thats pretty much it. The hardest part was cutting the pocket just right and lining up the holes in the side to screw into the radio from outside of the pocket. Its very sceure and doesnt move at all. If I did it again, I might consider angle it up a bit more, but i think its just fine as it is now, and I can easily replace that pocket piece if I ever sell the truck..

#293051 - 29/04/05 07:36 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

How did you install the antenna?? where did you route the coax?

#293052 - 30/04/05 06:36 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I havent come up with a permanent mount for my antenna just yet. Right now I just tuck it under the seat until I go offraodingm and stick it on the roof. When I do get a permanent mount, I'll post pics of that...

#293053 - 30/04/05 11:39 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am about to install a two-way antenna on my X and figured I'd use this lip-mount type by Comet antennas. It looks like it'll go onto the top/side of the hatch door just fine.

http://www.cometantenna.com/pro_images/CP-5M.jpg

#293054 - 02/05/05 10:16 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shawn, let me know how you make out using that lip mount antenna. It looks like if you attach it to the top of the hatch, when you open the hatch, the mount will hit the top of the roof. Also, let me know how you routed the coax.

Thanks

#293055 - 02/05/05 01:30 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am thinking about using a u-bold around the roof rack using an antenna mount like this:

Since the roof rack tubes are aluminium and there are rubber and plastic feets holding it I plan to use a no-ground-plane thype of antenna. Since I won't need the ground, I plan to slide a piece of rubber hose on the u-bolt so it doesn't stratch the roof rack too bad. One could also put wing nuts instead of regular nuts to make it easy to add and remove. I haven't decided if I want it removeable or if I will install a fold down mount like this:

Either way, I have to figure out something or I will rip it off driving into the garage

#293056 - 02/05/05 01:46 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like that folding type of mount. Maybe some sort of u-bolt around the stock rack with a flat piece metal to mount the antenna. I think the problem is going to be how to route the coax into the X. I routed my XM antenna cable under the weather stripping at the top of the back hatch. I just made a small notch in the pinch seam that the stripping attaches to. That was very easy because the XM antenna wire is the size of 14 gauge wire. Very thin. The CB antenna coax is a different story.

#293057 - 02/05/05 04:31 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right-now, I just have a temporary setup, I plug the CB in the lighter plug, put the CB on the floor somewhere and put the magnetic antenna on the roof through a door opening. The weather stripping has enough sponge to take the cable without crushing it, but I don't how tight the weather stripping would be around the CB antenna cable for a long term installation.

Not a big fan of drilling a hole in the body to let the CB antenna cable out. If I was to drill a hole for the CB antenna cable, might as well drill holes for a permanent mount.

I guess I still have some thinking to do.

#293058 - 02/05/05 10:09 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

56kz2slow - You can get a pigtail piece of coax that is smaller than standard rg58 (about 1/3 the width) that'll help with routing the antenna thru an opening with weather stripping.

Dave D - I'll be sure to post back here but it may be a bit yet since I have yet to buy the radio smile

As an aside, I have a Sirius radio and after trying to find a clean way to route the antenna wire, I just decided to mount the antenna on the dash. Since the antenna is small it really isn't too objectionable. After testing the reception for a few days I just used a couple of pieces of velcro to hold it in place - works great (I have an 05 and the wire routes nicely up the right hand side of the center console).

Lastly, I just installed a RAM mount to hold my cell phone and Sirius tuner. Works great (bolted down to the transmission hump.

#293059 - 03/05/05 06:52 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by SJD:
I am about to install a two-way antenna on my X and figured I'd use this lip-mount type by Comet antennas. It looks like it'll go onto the top/side of the hatch door just fine.

http://www.cometantenna.com/pro_images/CP-5M.jpg
Just a word of friendly advice, do not use a lip clamp antenna bracket. Opening and closing the hatch will cause the lip clamp to bend the edge of the hatch to which it is attached. I tried it, and got rid of it after two day.

k_enn

#293060 - 03/05/05 06:54 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by 56kz2slow:
Right-now, I just have a temporary setup, I plug the CB in the lighter plug, put the CB on the floor somewhere and put the magnetic antenna on the roof through a door opening. The weather stripping has enough sponge to take the cable without crushing it, but I don't how tight the weather stripping would be around the CB antenna cable for a long term installation.

Not a big fan of drilling a hole in the body to let the CB antenna cable out. If I was to drill a hole for the CB antenna cable, might as well drill holes for a permanent mount.

I guess I still have some thinking to do.
Check out the thread "How to wire for an antenna?" for details on wiring the antenna through the tail light assembly and up the channel for the hatch.

k_enn

#293061 - 03/05/05 08:25 AM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by k_enn:
Check out the thread "How to wire for an antenna?" for details on wiring the antenna through the tail light assembly and up the channel for the hatch.

k_enn
[ThumbsUp] I like that idea, I haven't read the post yet, but the hampster is already turning in the wheel, I can already visualize it. [ThumbsUp]

#293062 - 03/05/05 06:31 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

k_enn,

Thanks on both counts.

#293063 - 03/05/05 07:11 PM Re: My CB Radio Custom Installation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I ended up with a Wilson Magnet mount antenna. I wanted to route the wire through the brake light assemble but I couldnt get the lens off. I didnt want to risk breaking the plastic pins behind the lens. I made a notch in the pinch seam on the top of the rear hatch. Routed the wire through the pinch seam, under the top plastic molding near the hatch, down the driver side rear corner molding, under the cargo rug and under the pass compartment rug to the console, under the console to the back of the CB that is mounted under my after market Pioneer HU. Ill take some pics tomorow and post them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal