2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#294700 - 23/06/02 09:36 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
S. Quentin Offline

Loc: LBC, CA
That's fantastic news! I've gotten several estimates for a custom fiberglass fabrication (two 10") came to about $2000. I'm not going into competition or anything.

I don't know if i'm missing something here, but how would they be able to make a stealth box for the center console? Even if they ripped out the center console, pushed back into the center of rear seating, would there still be enough volume for a sealed 10" or even 12"? All while still providing 4 cup holders & a compartment?

I can see that happening in a full size body, but the X seems a little cramped for that.

#294701 - 26/06/02 03:42 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
marmiller Offline

Loc: Chalfont PA
Here is the email I just got today from JLAudio. I am hearing all kinds of stories and I dont know who to believe. I would love a 10in sub in my X. Here is the email:

Dear Mark, We are not working a Stealthbox for the Xterra. We are interested in looking
to do something for the Xterra. If we do decide to offer a Stealthbox, it will be till next year.
Thank you for your interest in Stealthbox.

Steve Duffield
JL Audio Technical Support
JL Audio Inc.
sduffield@jlaudio.com
http://www.jlaudio.com

#294702 - 26/06/02 04:22 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Well, if JL Audio is anything like my company, half the people don't know what the other half are doing laugh

#294703 - 26/06/02 04:36 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
RMoskowitz Offline

Loc: Long Beach, New York
I started this whole campaign (not that it makes me an authority or anything) but recently spoke to two higher ups at JL who confirmed that a stealthbox for the X, due to our persistance, will be announced as early as July, 2002.

I am taking them at their word and assume that the email you received was just a form letter as it sounds like ones we received early on in our email-writing campaign.

Keep those emails coming until we get our STEALTHBOX!!!!!!

Russ Moskowitz

#294704 - 28/06/02 12:28 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
Rybo Flavin Offline

Loc: South-West Lower Michigan
I sent my request in today and received this quick response:

Good afternoon Ryan,

We are working on a new Stealthbox design for the XTerra at this very moment. The design of the original truck hasn't left us a lot of options for locations, so we are trying a couple different locations to see which one will sound the best. I would suggest you contact us in a month or so to see where we are at that time. With any luck we'll have some good news for you then. Also if you have particular suggestions for placement, please send
them our way.

Sincerely,
Don Vertrees

#294705 - 29/06/02 03:52 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
1_black_x Offline

Loc: NH
Just letting you know that I did e-mail them to help with your cause. Not that they will care but I have done my best. I think having a stealthbox would be great. I currently have a rather large bandpass box with 2 12" alpine subs and its a pain. It takes up most of my trunk space.

So, heres hoping it will encourage them to make one.

#294706 - 03/07/02 09:32 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
Rybo Flavin Offline

Loc: South-West Lower Michigan
Here are some new e-mails that I have received from JL on 7/2/2002:

Don Vertrees
Quote:
We're working on a design to locate the subwoofer enclosure over the rear driver's side wheel well...not the front wheel well. This leaves the factory speaker location untouched, but does extend into the storage area about 6 inches. Hoping to have some performance test done on that design by the first of next week.
Steve Duffield
Quote:
We are in the works for a Stealthbox for the Xterra. It is so new, that we just started to work on this last week. As of right now it look to be located on the driver side cargo are on the front side wheel well. This is going to house a 10" woofer. Now we should start to listen this enclosure in up coming week. I am not sure what woofer, but anything that I have told you can change be fore finalization.
Just thought I would let you all know.

#294707 - 03/07/02 09:36 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
RMoskowitz Offline

This is so freakin' awesome. I can't belive we actually pulled this off. We must have been really annoying for them to manufacture a new design just for us. Three Cheers to all who participated!!!!!!

Russ Moskowitz

#294708 - 05/07/02 03:18 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
xcentrk Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by RMoskowitz:
Three Cheers to all who participated!!!!!!
Russ Moskowitz
.... and to you for starting all this.. thanks. I can't wait to see what it is gonna look/sound like.

#294709 - 05/07/02 07:34 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Good job guys... any other updates?

#294710 - 11/07/02 01:02 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
NIXTERRA Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY !!

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY !!

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY !!

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY !!

- Nik

#294711 - 28/07/02 03:43 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
Anyone have any updates on this product?? confused

#294712 - 28/07/02 04:04 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
RMoskowitz Offline

Spoke with Steve Duffield last week. He indicated that they were then testing the product for placement in the X. After the location is determined and a mold is made, the product needs to go into production and then decisions need to be made regarding price.

Basically, the entire production takes approximately three months until it hits the marketplace, so we will all have to wait until then.

I also asked for an approximate price of the box but was told they wouldn't know until all of the factors have been evaluated.

We just have to hang in there. The good news is that its a "done deal" and will be worth the wait. This should blow the doors off the '03 factory sub. laugh

Russ

#294713 - 28/07/02 04:07 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
Bobby_X Offline

If its under $20 i'll buy 2! smile kidding, smile

but really, i hope they come up with something really creative for placement, as to not loose much space, if it is, this may finally give me a reason to do a system or however its called smile

CHAO!

#294714 - 28/07/02 04:14 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
RMoskowitz Offline

By my estimation, and based on other similar models it will probably be upwards of $400. Certainly not for the faint of heart. Add that price to a decent amp and you're talking at least $700 for some serious bass.

I was told that the placement of the unit will probably be on the rear drivers side, over the front half of the rear wheel well. It will be in front of the rear 6x9 so as not to block it and will protrude slightly into the storage area from the wheel well.

Hope this answers some questions.

Russ

#294715 - 25/11/02 08:57 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
RMoskowitz Offline

There has been much talk as of late for a box for the X. As most of you know, I started a letter writing campaign for JL Audio to produce a stealthbox for the X.

Many of you flooded them with emails, and in May, 2002, we were promised that JL would produce a Stealthbox for the X. I later learned that our Stealthbox got put on the shelf until they completed other, more pressing, projects.

UPDATE: Just spoke with a VP in Technical Services at JL Audio. They tested our Stealthbox last week and it should be out within a month or two at latest. It will house a 10" and will fit on the drivers' side between the rear speaker and the rear seat, over the wheel well.

I know I'm waiting for this to be made before I do anymore upgrades. I want to get the 500.5 JL amp, Stealhbox and the Alpine XM, FM Modulator. I already have an 4 channel Kicker amp which I will be replacing when this comes out. The rest of my system is stock, but I do have the 6 CD in dash found on the SE's in my XE and replaced all of the speakers with the SE's.

That's all for now. I'll post an update when I hear further news.

Later,

Russ Moskowitz smile

#294716 - 25/11/02 09:06 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
that is good news, thanks

#294717 - 25/11/02 12:13 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
UrbanJungleXTerra Offline

Loc: NYC
Hey Guys,

I just sent in emails to like 6 peeps over at JL! I hope they dont put the Steath box on the back burner and forget abt it over there!

I was considering just buying 1 or 2 Kicker or RF subs in behind the seat truck style boxes inorder to keep as much possible cargo space. But after seeing how a JL Steath box is made and nicely fitted to look 'stealthy' against peering eyes Im impressed! I hope they make an application for the Xterra soon!!! I wanna design my audio system already!

Thanks guys,
Will [Wave]

#294718 - 25/11/02 04:21 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
marcdmbfan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Thanks for the update RMoskowitz. I'm glad I held out for this. Can't wait!

marc

#294719 - 03/12/02 09:24 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
sdx Offline

Loc: Boston
any updates on the stealth box from JL ?

#294720 - 02/01/03 07:23 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
Lec Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
I guys.. newbie here.. long time lurker though. Heres an update, just got it this morning:

Good morning Jason,
Our new XTerra Stealthbox will be available January 24! It houses a single 10W3 in a sealed enclosure and is located over the driver's side rear wheel well. You're going to be very impressed by it's performance!
Sincerely,
Don Vertrees

This was in a reply to a message is sent them, well several messages.
Woot woot!! smile

#294721 - 02/01/03 07:33 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
Lec Offline

Wow, right after I posted the previous message I replyed to them asking about price and such.. Iv already gotten the reply like 5min later.. here it is:

Glad we could make your day! Pricing should be in line with other units of similar size and woofer. Expect it to come in around 499.00, but can't give you an exact quote until the first production parts are ready to ship.
Thanks,
Don Vertrees

#294722 - 03/01/03 09:01 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
Lec Offline

Well aperently this subject is so old no one cares anymore.. oh well =P Imma get me one some day tho.

#294723 - 03/01/03 09:22 PM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
Bobby_X Offline

Geez.. 500 is a lot for this... That powered infinity basscube for $220 is sure looking a lot more attractive..

#294724 - 06/01/03 06:41 AM Re: Stealthbox - JL Audio subwoofer for X - UPDATE!!!
RMoskowitz Offline

Sorry LEC,

I will definately purchase one on its debut. I know that many people on this site are interested as well and we appreciate your research and great news.

I'll write a review for Ian as soon as I install it along with the JL 500/5 amp.

Keep us posted with any new developments.

Sincerely,

Russ Moskowitz

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal