2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#295128 - 10/10/04 12:30 PM Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, I did a search, and found no answers to the questions that I was looking for.

First, does anybody suggest a specific company for a remote starter? I want to keep my stock alarm system, (because I want too) but I want an add-on remote starter. So if anybody could suggest a company, or even better a specific model, that would be great. Now let me start with the questions...

1. Would the remote starter start the engine, even if the key isn't in, and the alarm system isn't on? I think my key has a microchip (may be wrong) and doesn't the car need the microchip to start?
2. Is there any remote starter that will allow my stock keyless entry remote to start the car? Like if I pressed lock twice, could I make the remote starter start the engine off of that?

I'm sure I have more questions, just can't think of them right now. So I'm going to go out to places and ask more questions. Any optimistic responses would be great! smile
Thanks in advance,
Josh

#295129 - 10/10/04 01:58 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

i asked about my sister's honda and i assume its the same price for all cars but they quoted me $210 installed at circuit city.

#295130 - 10/10/04 02:24 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

ya, i went to circuit city, best buys, and Sam's. Circuit city was the only place that had security systems, and they didn't have any add-on remote starters. The one add-on remote starter I'm leaning towards is this one . I sent an e-mail asking the specifications and such, so I should probably expect a reply tomorrow.

#295131 - 10/10/04 04:10 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

"The .... remote start can be added to virtually any security system or remote keyless entry system with an auxiliary output."
I didn't know we had an aux output confused

#295132 - 10/10/04 04:30 PM Re: Remote Starter
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
I think my key has a microchip (may be wrong) and doesn't the car need the microchip to start?
Nope no Chip

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#295133 - 10/10/04 06:18 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a BullDog remote starter in my girlfriends Rodeo. Never had a problem with it. I believe I spent 125.00 for it.

#295134 - 11/10/04 07:58 AM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

does anybody know if the factory alarm system has an output of any kind? Many remote starters tell that they can easily be hooked up with an output, but i have no clue of any alarm system output. Oh ya, does anybody have the wiring diagram for the security system?

#295135 - 11/10/04 01:51 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, I found a wiring diagram for the 2004 Xterra HERE . It'll help me with the install of the remote starter. I also found a remote starter that I think I want and THIS is it. I'm probably going to go around and ask some more questions from some wiring guys about what to do and such. But I'm thinking that with this wiring explanation, and the actual remote starter explaning what to do, that I think I can get this thing down. Any helpful replies, or even better any replies pertaning to this topic at all would be great smile

#295136 - 12/10/04 08:00 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I got some connections involved with the remote starter, and I felt that I should share it with yall, in case somebody in the future searches for some answer that they want. My friend got me a connection with a guy in Omega, and him and I talked. He says that next week, I should call him back, because Omega is trying to make a transponder I believe, that will bypass my security system. In total the whole system will cost 100 bucks, but hell I'm in for it! I'll post later about the out come.

#295137 - 12/10/04 11:18 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

you could just always use a garage door opener reciever/transmitter set for another set of dry contacts.

McMaster Carr has some on page 2741 of their online catalog. www.McMaster.com

#295138 - 14/10/04 02:51 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I just got info on finally what is to happen! Apparently the Nissan Xterra security system doesn't have a transitor (and I knew that because I searched). The reason I had my doubt was because the guy at Omega told me that I would need to get a key for the remote car starter to turn on my car. Long story short, tomorrow I will be calling him, and he will ship me a plain and simple add-on remote starter (100$). He will also send me directions on how to wire it, which I'm sure I know how to do. It's a two or single push button. So in other words I can wire the system so that I can either press 1 time or 2 times on any button (lock, unlock, or panic) and the engine will start. I told Shockin about it, and he seems optimistic, but he's gonna buy it cheaper offa another site (probably 80 with shipping). Anyway, the actual Add-on remote starter is a Omega RS-4LX. So if anybody in the future decides that they want to install a remote starter that works with the factory buttons and system, then e-mail me. I will be able to not only provide directions, but tell you if the system itself is good. If anybody has any questions just ask. I personally plan on making the engine start by tapin the panic button once, which makes sense cause if somebody is messing with my car, then not only will the panic go off, but the engine will start. It'd scare the crap outta anybody if some car started randomly with nobody inside! I don't know if the system has a engine off option, though I'm sure it does. I'll probably make the engine off option a 2 button lock.

the site of the actual add-on remote starter
HERE

So if anybody has any questions then feel free to ask!

Josh

#295139 - 20/10/04 01:13 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya, I got the remote starter today! And it looks pretty damn complicating! I know all the wires, and colors and such, but if anybody could help me that'd be great. I need help simply knowing that the wiring for the 2001 X is the same as the 2004.

#295140 - 20/10/04 02:41 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I personally plan on making the engine start by tapin the panic button once, which makes sense cause if somebody [b]is messing with my car, then not only will the panic go off, but the engine will start. [/b]
So, someone is screwing with your car and you fire up the engine for them! That's really nice of you, saves them the trouble of hot wiring it or screwing with the ignition. smile

#295141 - 20/10/04 06:11 PM Re: Remote Starter
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Quote:
[b] I personally plan on making the engine start by tapin the panic button once, which makes sense cause if somebody [b]is messing with my car, then not only will the panic go off, but the engine will start. [/b]
So, someone is screwing with your car and you fire up the engine for them! That's really nice of you, saves them the trouble of hot wiring it or screwing with the ignition. smile [/b]
Nope, all of the remote starter systems that I've ever seen have a relay that cuts the engine off when the brake pedal is pressed. Since you have to push the brake pedal the shift out of park then he's not going anywhere. You have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to run in order to keep the engine from dying when the brake is pressed.

I installed one on an old aerostar I used to have. Greatest thing ever. Nothing like going out to a warm vehicle on those cold mornings.

Axle

#295142 - 20/10/04 06:57 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

ya, you need the key to go into drive. But i got a serious question

Does anybody know where the panic wire is? I can't find the lock/unlock or panic wire anywhere, and it's driving me insane. Could somebody please show me a picture of where it is?

Also, is their anyway that I can tap into the wire, without having to cut it, strip the plastic, and attach the 3 wires together?

#295143 - 20/10/04 07:02 PM Re: Remote Starter
Axle Offline

Just take a razor blade or exacto knife and strip the plastic back a little bit all the way around the wire. Once the wire is exposed pull it apart in the middle and then push you second wire throught the "hole" that you made and wrap the excess around the rest of the wire. Lay the two wires together and tape it back up. Good to go. If you want to make it even more secure then solder the wires together before you tape it back up.

Axle

#295144 - 20/10/04 07:12 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

holy crap, that's a really good idea! thankyou so much! I'm definately doing that tomorrow!

But still, if anybody can give me a photo of where the alarm wire is that'd be great. I know that it's yellow, I just can't find the damn thing!

#295145 - 20/10/04 08:22 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
Just take a razor blade or exacto knife and strip the plastic back a little bit all the way around the wire. Once the wire is exposed pull it apart in the middle and then push you second wire throught the "hole" that you made and wrap the excess around the rest of the wire. Lay the two wires together and tape it back up. Good to go. If you want to make it even more secure then solder the wires together before you tape it back up.

Axle
Bad idea.. Now you have a chunk of whire that is strip'd and ready to short is the tale goes for a walk..
Better idea.

#295146 - 20/10/04 08:49 PM Re: Remote Starter
Axle Offline

The tap in's aren't a bad idea but I've never had a problem with tape. Just use a god quality tape and give it 4 or five wraps. Never had a problem with it, especially if it's been soldered.

Axle

#295147 - 20/10/04 09:02 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure about here but in the UK they have plastic connectors that will allow you to connect into an existing wire. The connector kinda pushes the insulation off of the existing wire and connects the new wire at the same time.

Dragged one out of my old Toolbox I brought over from the UK. This one is made by 3M and the packaging describes it as a Scotchlock connector. Should be just the job if you can find them here in the US.

Sorry the photo is so blury, camera = piece of crap. Roll on my new digital rebel for Christmas.

#295148 - 20/10/04 09:37 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

that looks like the thing that the other guy suggested, and it sounds like a lot easier job than cutting and tapping. Wow, suddenly this project seems to get easier and easier. And it wouldn't be if I didn't have yall helping information. Thankyou so much guys for the support and advice, can't do it without yall!

#295149 - 21/10/04 07:47 AM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice. Yeaaa, exactly the same thing that Xtopher suggested it looks like. Glad to know where I can get some here too, I'm down to my last 2 and those things come in handy.

#295150 - 21/10/04 09:07 AM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

just bought the 18-22 gauge pack of those, but i still need to find the alarm wire, i can't find the damn thing

#295151 - 21/10/04 09:14 AM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can't help with that I'm affraid, never even looked at playing with my alarm. I spoke to a few people about getting a remote start installed in my Manual tranny X and nobody would do it. I always use the park brake and never leave it in gear, so not sure why it would be a problem.

I want it for the opposite reason to you tho. I want one to cool my car down before I get inside in the summer. When it's 110° outside, you can be sure it's 150+ inside the car in the summer here in AZ.

Anyone out there installed a Remote Starter in a Manual Tranny? You'd need to somehow bypass the switch that detects if the clutch is pressed (If that even is a switch).

#295152 - 21/10/04 12:51 PM Re: Remote Starter
Anonymous
Unregistered

well I installed the thing and such, so far I'm having some problems with the actual remote starter. Some steps we have to go through before it works, but I called the guy that sold it to me, and he's willing to help. And ya, you can put on a remote starter, BUT you must in nuetral and parking brake on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal