2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#295995 - 30/12/02 08:29 PM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
They are becoming standard in the traffic cars here as well. The damn things are so bright that they almost blind the on coming traffic cool

#295996 - 30/12/02 09:45 PM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
YellowFireX Offline

Loc: Spring Hill, TN. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill H:
OOPS, forgot to mention that I chose to use 2 smaller packs - 1 for front, 1 for rear as they were solid state and water resistant and mounted them on the firewall. I couldn't find a place inside I was happy with. If you'd like, let me know and I will email you photos.
Bill
I mounted my powersupply (6outlet) behind the shifter/coin dish near the extra 12v outlet. It fit perfect below the radio sheet metal and when the plastics are installed you can't see it.

#295997 - 31/12/02 01:26 AM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
irsa76 Offline

Loc: Queanbeyan Australia
Has anyone mounted strobes in the actuall headlights on the '02? Starting to toy with the idea of buying/leasing a Navara dual cab and useing it as a motorsport safety vehicl here.

#295998 - 31/12/02 07:02 AM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Wouldn't see why it would be a problem on any vehicle as long as there is ample room. Just be sure to get them sealed correctly so the light doesn't allow moisture inside.

#295999 - 19/01/03 08:37 AM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
Paul H Offline

Just got done installing two strobes in my corner turn signals. I used Novus strobes and went ahead and got a 4 head power supply in case I want to add some in the rear tail lights later on down the road. Install was a breeze just a lot of wires to keep straight.

Also got a new dash light as the one I had was way to big and blocked my passenger's vision as well as mine looking to the right. I went with wheelen's dash king.

#296000 - 19/01/03 08:55 PM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Looks like a nice install. Do you have anything in back? I'm using a Dash King 2000 LED right now on front, though I think I'm going to get something brighter soon. The new LED's have come a long ways.

#296001 - 20/01/03 10:01 AM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
Paul H Offline

I have two code 3 deck blasters in back along the roofline of the rear cargo area. Might add clear strobes to the taillights to use up the other two power outlets on my power supply.

#296002 - 20/01/03 05:17 PM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
Lightning Offline

Ok, got my taillight flasher installed a couple weeks ago. Overall am very pleased with it. Clean install, everything's hidden, and gets everyone's attention.

BUT there's a slight pulsing that you can only notice when slowly coasing with the lights activated. To make a long story short, when the backup lights turn on, it's backcharging the transmission and telling it that's it's about to go into reverse 2.4 times a second (the rate of blink). So I've got to install a set of diodes inline with the backup light wire, before it splits to both of the taillights.

So my question is, does anyone know where the split is, and the easiest way to access it those wires prior to the split? It's after it comes out of the transmision, but I'm not sure where it enters the cab.

Would really appreciate some help if anyone knows. Maybe Electroken? It gets kinda nippy laying under a truck when it's 30 degrees out. Maybe somebody has a manual that tells?

#296003 - 20/01/03 06:35 PM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Some one else had that problem and the trany went into safe mode and would only go about 30 mph. I added the clear strobes in my backup lens and clear in the front turn signal. as far as putting them in the headlight lens, if your headlights are on you will not see the strobes past 30' or so.
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#296004 - 03/02/03 08:42 PM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
mmUTK Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Finally Done!!

Although one of the strobes I got from whelen was bad and I had to send it back, no other major problems.

I ran the power from behind the rear seat between the rear seat and my rubbermaid box. I ran the strobe outlet cords through the latch on the rear seats with the existing taillight wires to the rear.

Direct wire from the battery to the switch and directly to the power supply also. (as the power supply requires two seperate wires to operate) I ran these through a driver's side grommet and under the trim of the door frames to rear of the vehicle.

This was the worst part, drilling 1 inch holes the plastic taillamp lenses. I used a unibit drill and it worked great! The only type of bit I would reccomend to not spider the plastic.

I padded the grommet(not shown) and just pushed out the grommet forcing the wires with the existing wires.

The strobes themselves fit into my drilled holes perfectly and do not come in contact with the existing lights. This was a major thing I was worried about.

I did not setup a switch to change the pattern or flash power, I just set it to comet flash and high power. Also I haven't installed the switch yet, it's just loose in the vehicle. I will do all this as I have time.

The pattern is set as grey stars flash simultaneously and white stars flash simultaneously, making white and grey flash oppositly. (of course white and grey are just for model's sake the strobes are all clear)

#296005 - 03/02/03 09:02 PM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
Lightning Offline

Thanks mmUTK & Xman6! Great write-ups and pics!

1. Where did you both put the power supplies?
2. mmUTK - Doesn't sound like you used a relay, correct? Think it might be a good idea?

#296006 - 03/02/03 09:09 PM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
mmUTK Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
A relay was included in my power supply. I will post a pic of where I mounted it tomorrow.

#296007 - 04/02/03 07:11 AM Re: Wig Wag Flashers?
jaws_o_life Offline

Loc: RVA
I've got two strobes behind the grill and two hide-a-ways in the rear red's. Power supply is underneath the front passenger seat. No problems with room and with the all weather mats, no chance of wetness. Now just have to upgrade to a 90w from a 60w supply!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal