Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#296827 - 15/12/06 12:03 PM Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing I really like about this mod is everything looks stock once installed.

Check this out: Linky.

#296828 - 15/12/06 12:48 PM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like that idea. I have been considering the same with my travel trailer. Just bought the trailer this fall, so no highway driving yet, just from the dealer to my house.

I was looking at the wireless one until I read your comments. Guess I will read more before making a move.

#296829 - 15/12/06 01:23 PM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
That looks good. [ThumbsUp]

#296830 - 15/12/06 03:36 PM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you do a search on the MotorhomeMagazine.com forum regarding wireless cameras, you'll find a lot of negative comments. Might work okay to your rear bumper, but not as far as the back of the trailer.

Tomorrow I plan on adding the camera to the trailer. I'll update the webpage so people can see the final step.

#296831 - 15/12/06 04:21 PM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
Anonymous
Unregistered

What good is that camera going to do when you have your camper hooked up? All you will see is the tongue of the trailer.

#296832 - 15/12/06 08:50 PM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
My guess, use it to hook up the trailer, then a switch to switch to a camera that will be on the back of the trailer.

#296833 - 16/12/06 05:57 AM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
That's very cool. I've been wanting to do some kind of camera setup so I can see the ground directly in front of my truck - kind of a self-spotting system.

(I still feel gypped about the idea... I had it all by myself - had a dream about it - and then I found out that about a billion other people have already had the idea frown )

#296834 - 16/12/06 06:35 AM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
I would love to do this with my Titan and my 5th wheel smile

However, I like my compass/thermometer in my mirror not to mention the Garage Door openers.

Would there be other options???

#296835 - 16/12/06 08:52 AM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave D:
What good is that camera going to do when you have your camper hooked up? All you will see is the tongue of the trailer.
If ya read the article, you'd note I'm adding a camera to the back of the trailer too. The monitor has TWO inputs. Watch camera 1 when hitching, hit the remote, now watch behind the trailer.

wink

#296836 - 16/12/06 08:57 AM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xterraintx:
I would love to do this with my Titan and my 5th wheel smile

However, I like my compass/thermometer in my mirror not to mention the Garage Door openers.

Would there be other options???
Absolutely. There are stand alone LCD monitors. You can mount it to your dash, center console, or in some cases, it mounts in the visor. The latter is vehicle specific, and harder to find.

I almost went with the stand alone monitor. I was planning on putting it on my center console, forward of the drink holders. But that would eat up the front tray. I already have a Prodigy Brake Controller to the left of the tray. Space is a premium for me.

Look on Ebay for "Backup Camera LCD". You'll see a number of choices at a decent price.

#296837 - 17/12/06 04:18 PM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Modified the travel trailer today. Installation complete. Works great!

For about $150, I now have a camera on the Xterra and trailer. Push of a button on the remote to easily switch between the two. Just in time, going camping again the week after Christmas.

#296838 - 20/12/06 01:35 PM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Very nice installation! Very clean and professional looking.

I want to do the same on my rig, but for self-spotting while off-road. I already have one camera mounted under the truck.

Image shown on monitor

This photo shows where I mounted the undercarriage camera. It's attached to the front crossmember and faces rearward, so it's less likely to get splashed with mud.

I would like to add another forward-facing camera on my front bumper and a reverse camera mounted on the rear bumper as well.

#296839 - 21/12/06 05:02 PM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
Anonymous
Unregistered

XPLORx4,

Ah, the 'ol Lipstick Cam. I've got some of those I initially purchased as part of my home security system. I eventually bought higher resolution cameras, so I have some of these available.

I have an A/B switcher that runs on 12V (IIRC) and uses a remote. Could easily add this to one of the two inputs.

Good idea!

#296840 - 21/12/06 06:07 PM Re: Backup camera for tow vehicle and trailer
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
The lipstick cam I have is a CCD model, with similar specs as this one .

I'm having a tough time finding waterproof CCD cameras (whether keyhole, license plate, lipstick, or otherwise) that actually specify the lens angle and whether they are mirror-image or not.

I'd even be open to replacing the lipstick cam with something better if I could actually find something better! Do you have any tips on where to look or what search terms to use?

Thanks!

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal