Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#297348 - 07/11/05 10:49 AM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I am willing to spend probly up to $400 for the speakers and probly about 100 to 125 for the amp.

that's $525 total.

JL e4300 @ $220
45W RMS x 4 @ 4 ohm
150W RMS x 2 @ 4 ohm

JL 8w3v2-D2 (125w) @ $122
wire in series for 4 ohm

JL TR600-cxi 6" coaxial speakers @ $100
take 50W each

- all from ebay, prices include shipping -

that's ~$450 total for a 4 channel amp, 8" sub, and new door speakers. That leaves you about $100 for wiring / fuses / sub enclosure (which I assume you can build yourself)

-sky

#297349 - 07/11/05 10:59 AM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

reksav

wasn't trying to offend. I'll never believe that a bass tube sounds better then a quality amp/sub. Ofcourse one average 12" tube sounded better then 2 12" JL subs in a focus hatchback...that's like putting racing fuel in a labarron. I'm sure you would have been just as happy, and probably happier with a quality 8" sub and decent amp....like I recommended to Tyler.

to each their own...he asked for advice and I gave him mine.

-sky

#297350 - 07/11/05 01:03 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh nono wasnt offended at all, just voicing my experiences with subs in automobiles. i agree that subs are louder/crisper at high volume but when your just going for filling in what the stock speakers are missing and dont want to wake the neighborhood i still think putting a tube in is whats needed, boxed subs in this situation (as i understood it) are just as you said "that's like putting racing fuel in a labarron" laugh

#297351 - 07/11/05 02:18 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you all so much for your help so far i have learned alot from the little i knew befor. But i am willing to have a bigger system if that means then it sounding beter i can give up that space. So are there any like boxes that already come with subs in them that i can buy instead of buying them all by them selfs? And if so which one would probly be the best?

#297352 - 07/11/05 06:52 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kenwood amp/sub/box "all in one"
Never heard a unit like this, but it "seems" like it would sound good. Maybe others can comment.
For $200 w/ shipping, that gives you everything you need "bass" wise and might be the best idea for someone with your level of audio experience.
Here's what crutchfield has to say about it:
crutchfield review

Kicker 10" sub (you'd need an amp if you go this route)
fosgate sub/box (again, you'll need the amp)
soundstream sub/box really cheap (again, need the amp)

#297353 - 07/11/05 09:32 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TheTyler:
I got on ebay and was looking around and one of the few brands i have herd about was Audiobahn and i came to this and i was just wondering what do you think? I am willing to spend probly up to $400 for the speakers and probly about 100 to 125 for the amp.
Just my opinion here, but you should probably reverse your train of thought here. Youre better off spending a more money on the amp and you can get a decent sub for 100-125. I'd go w/skydive's idea and get a 4 channel amp and either separates or some good coaxials and power it off the front 2 channels and, use the rear 2 channels bridged to power a sub.

My current set up:

pioneer deh-6600
Kicker kx350.4 (About $200)
Pioneer TS-C160R components (about 150 internet price)
JL10W0 in an RT box (small sealed I think about .65 cu in.) <$150 for both

Sound quality is great, but isn't gonna win any competitions. The 10w0 gives plenty of bass in a small package.

#297354 - 07/11/05 10:24 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

alright guys or u could go the complete opposite way which is my way get badass subs. 2 jl 10w6 in a ported custom box with an 1100 watt autoteck amp. with and alpine face the first one shown in this thread, my setup hurts your ears. but im 16 and that how i liek it.
i am currently selling a kicker 12 cvr in a custom pro box ported and a 850 watt boss mono amp. i live in the dallas area over by hillcrest high school if anyone is interested call me or email me 214-803-4474 or email pballa2119@sbcglobal.net
call me at any time im usually up if anyones interested call and we can meet up pics available, asking 400 make an affor

-mackie

#297355 - 08/11/05 05:22 AM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tyler

Nutz is totally right, and I meant to say the same thing....just forgot. Spend your money on a quality amp. For a while, I had an old school RF Punch amp...back when they ROCKED pushing two "Kenfords" I got at a flee market for $20/each. People thought I have Vegas in the trunk they hit so hard. I personally like the 4 channel route, cause it gives you lots of configuration options. Just make sure that whatever amp you go with can power whatever sub you get...ie...pay attention to ohm load numbers.

#297356 - 08/11/05 02:24 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

K do let me see if i am geting this all. Go with a okay sub, with a 4 channel amp 2 to power the sub and i guess 2 more to do what ever with *maybe use them when i get new door speakers? Can you*. And i hear that like the box is almost the most important part of it all.

#297357 - 08/11/05 03:34 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tyler

I don't think anybody is telling you _what_ to do, but rather providing information based on their own experiences. For instance, if you've never heard the difference between the same sub in two different enclosures: one being flimmsy and too big/small, the other being solid and the right volume, you might think "a box is a box". I've known people that have spent $500+ for a system that was pretty shitty, so dollar amount doesn't mean anything. If all the info posted in this thread is totally new to you, you might just be better off taking your ride to a local shop. I'd hate to have talked you into pulling your X apart only to not know how to hook everything up. I know what I would do and snowboardguy knows what he would do....it's up to you to decide what YOU want to do. None of us can show up at your house and do this for you (atleast I know I can't :-)

I get the feeling you aren't "ready" to tackle an amp/sub install job by yourself yet (am I wrong?). Do you have a buddy who's done this before and can help....maybe a fellow X owner?

I'm sure there's a mobile audio installer besides bestbuy/cc in your area. Go there and ask what they recommend and tell them you want to save as much space as possible. For $500 you should be able to get a quality amp/sub/box installed at a reputable shop.

#297358 - 08/11/05 04:30 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you very much for your guys time that you took to explian this and i will take your advice and just haed down to lord audio in fayt and see what they say. So thank you again.

Tyler

#297359 - 09/11/05 06:43 AM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

feel free to post whatever info they give you regarding installs and equipment and recommendations. This group will help you from getting F'd in the A

#297360 - 18/11/05 02:45 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by skydive814:
Kenwood amp/sub/box "all in one"
Never heard a unit like this, but it "seems" like it would sound good. Maybe others can comment.
For $200 w/ shipping, that gives you everything you need "bass" wise and might be the best idea for someone with your level of audio experience.
Here's what crutchfield has to say about it:
crutchfield review

Kicker 10" sub (you'd need an amp if you go this route)
fosgate sub/box (again, you'll need the amp)
soundstream sub/box really cheap (again, need the amp)
Don't buy the kenwood all in one. I had it for about 2 weeks and it never sounded good. Bit the bullet and bought MB Quart Amp and 10in sub. Hid the amp in the storage compartment ('05x) and put the sub in a Pro Rocks Box... I still have plenty of room and can move the box around or take it out if I really need to...

Ty-- you wouldn't happen to write for microsoft would you?

#297361 - 18/11/05 07:48 PM Re: Wanting subs but also haveing room
Anonymous
Unregistered

HAHA i wish i worked at micro think of the money you would make$$$$ [Too much XOC] . But no i work at a local company here in Arkansas that helps write programs on mostly on internet problems. Via i do work ranging from going to a computer that was used to hack on to a computer and i have to figure out what they figured out and what info and all that. To siting in a office writeing programs on just random things that people want to make there lives easyer.

Tyler

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal