Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#297979 - 30/03/06 09:13 AM Input level of factory RF amp
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've looked through all the threads I could find on the topic of the RF amp and found two opposite answers to this question.

Is the input of the factory RF amp speaker level or line level?

I'm sure a million people will tell me to bypass the amp and all of that stuff, but I just haven't decided yet what I want to do with it, and probably won't decide until I actually pull of the panels and look at it all.

Edit
----------------------------------------
Should I choose to bypass the amp and use the powered outputs from the HU, is there any reason why I can't use the existing wiring out to the speaker wells and (for the time being) use the existing speakers?

#297980 - 01/04/06 06:41 PM Re: Input level of factory RF amp
Anonymous
Unregistered

all factory amps are speaker input. I have never seen any rca run through a factory amp system. You will always have a input (cd side) and an output (amp to speakers). You don't really have to rewire everything you could use a amp intergrater and less'n the amount of input that the factory amps see.

#297981 - 01/04/06 07:11 PM Re: Input level of factory RF amp
Anonymous
Unregistered

FYI: "Speaker level" and line level are the same thing.
The two levels you were thinking of were "mic" and "line"
Mic level is just that, the same as if you had a mic plugged directly into the speakers, if your speakers don't have built in amps then you get no sound.
Line level has already been through an amp whether that be in the head unit, an external amp, or speakers.

The above explanation could explain why you got two different answers to your question.

#297982 - 03/04/06 08:17 AM Re: Input level of factory RF amp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies, good to have a solid answer on that!

With all due respect though Tyler, you are incorrect about speaker and line levels being the same. There are 3 basic levels used in any audio system, whether it be a car stereo or a recording studio. Those levels are mic, line, and speaker.

Mic level is the weakest of the signals, and is just what you described, and is also comparable to the direct output of a radio tuner circuit or the direct output of a CD Audio DAC.

Since mic level is so weak, it generally gets amplified up to line level, which can be either 316mV RMS or 1.23V RMS. You could compare this to the level of pre-outs on head unit. They're higher than mic level, but still not enough to drive speakers.

Then you have speaker level, which is obviously a signal loud enough to drive some form of loudspeaker, whether it be a headphone driver or an 800 watt sub.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal