2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#299749 - 14/11/02 08:00 PM XM or Sirius? Why?
JamesP32750 Offline

Loc: Longwood, FL
I definitely want satellite radio installed in my truck and noticed that it's basically "split" between XM and Sirius. What is your choice for service and why?

Thanks,
JWP

#299750 - 14/11/02 08:38 PM Re: XM or Sirius? Why?
n2 Offline

Loc: Venice Beach, Ca
I have XM. I chose XM due to the fact that my head unit is Pioneer and they have built in compatability with XM but not Sirius. I believe both services are very good.

#299751 - 14/11/02 08:51 PM Re: XM or Sirius? Why?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
I listened to the content on each from the web for a couple weeks and preferred Sirius. It's 100% commercial free on the music channels. And Clear Channel doesn't have a stake in it. I wasn't locked into a brand since I was buying everything from scratch and ended up getting Kenwood.

#299752 - 14/11/02 10:41 PM Re: XM or Sirius? Why?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I chose XM because...

Sirius wasn't working yet when I got XM.

Pioneer was the only company that had the complete package I was looking for (head unit, in-dash CD changer, and XM).

Pioneer makes some of the best automotive stereo equipment out there.

I believe that of the two choices, XM has a better chance of surviving, though both could go under easily.

#299753 - 15/11/02 05:56 AM Re: XM or Sirius? Why?
ashleynatlanta Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
I chose Sirius. I had XM in another vehicle, and the music was a little too eclectic, all the time, for me. Plus, stupid jingles, dj's who would talk too much, and the FM retransmittals turned me off. Both companies have their hands full as far as financial concerns. But there again, that could be said for a lot of people!! See my thread a little further down the page "Got the Sirius FM Mod...."

#299754 - 15/11/02 06:31 AM Re: XM or Sirius? Why?
XtesseinXE02 Offline

Loc: Hamilton, NJ
Check H said it best. Not to sound like geek here, but i heard a report that XM laid off a ton of employees recently, and they lost something like 100 million in revenues last quarter. I imagine the lesser know sirius is probably having similar situations.

My suggestion, you can probably get it for a year of service but don't expect anything more. Not to mention all that expensive equipment will be useless soon.

#299755 - 15/11/02 07:11 AM Re: XM or Sirius? Why?
Aero Steve Offline

Neither one is doing well. But Sirius has secured financing to operate into the second quarter of 2004.

I forgot one of the big reasons I chose Sirius.

Each company has taken a different approach for satellite transmitters. XM has 2 satellites in geosynch orbit which puts them over the equator. This means you have to have a veiw of the souther hemisphere to see the satellites. Just like DirectTV.

Sirius uses 3 satellites in an eccentric orbit that has each of them directly over the US about 16 hours a day. Being directly overhead for most of the day means fewer dropouts due to terrain. At GOX I had it dropout maybe half a dozen times. Twice in heavy foilage and the other were terrain related. Like being up against a cliff face that is blocking half the sky. The overhang going up to Yankee Boy was the worst.

Both use ground based repeaters to boost signal around large metro areas, but I was more concerned about reception in BFE.

#299756 - 16/11/02 09:58 AM Re: XM or Sirius? Why?
n2 Offline

Loc: Venice Beach, Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by XtesseinXE02:
Check H said it best. Not to sound like geek here, but i heard a report that XM laid off a ton of employees recently, and they lost something like 100 million in revenues last quarter. I imagine the lesser know sirius is probably having similar situations.

My suggestion, you can probably get it for a year of service but don't expect anything more. Not to mention all that expensive equipment will be useless soon.
People said Cable TV wouldn't work...Why would anyone pay for something you can get for free? Ha!

#299757 - 16/11/02 02:49 PM Re: XM or Sirius? Why?
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by n2:
Quote:
Originally posted by XtesseinXE02:
[b]Check H said it best. Not to sound like geek here, but i heard a report that XM laid off a ton of employees recently, and they lost something like 100 million in revenues last quarter. I imagine the lesser know sirius is probably having similar situations.

People said Cable TV wouldn't work...Why would anyone pay for something you can get for free? Ha![/b]
Bottled water comes to mind here.

I felt the risk was worth it. For while it lasts, I get a great service. I have a friend that is a sales manager for a GMC Truck dealer. He has been putting XM in all of his the top trim line trucks. He says it's an easy sale. 2003 is the first model year to get factory install satellite radio, so their subscription base should skyrocket in the next year and their financial situations should improve.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal