Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#299996 - 28/11/01 07:57 AM Motorola talk about, any good?
MadMax Offline

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Does anyone know if teh Motorola talkabout is any good? It has 14 channels, 38 quiet codes and a 2 mile range. What are sub channels?

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: MadMax ]

#299997 - 28/11/01 08:08 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMax:
Does anyone know if teh Motorola talkabout is any good? It has 14 channels, 38 quiet codes and a 2 mile range. What are sub channels?

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: MadMax ]

Subchannels allow you to sub-branch channels. Basically if you go to a popular resort or sports event, forget about using an FRS unless you have subchannels. I have a talkabout and I am very happy with it. The only thing I wish I could find it a car-adapter for it...

#299998 - 28/11/01 08:35 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
If you're looking for off-road stuff, I would recommend a CB instead. Most of the people in MAXC have the Cobra 75. (No replacing batteries!!) If it's just for mall runs or small caravans for vacation, they should do just fine. We use them during our paintball scenario games all the time. The Sub channels is a MUST. Otherwise, you get stuck to the 14 channels and anybody can surf right on in. (Not that they can't with the sub channels but with 532 possibilities, I doubt someone will find your conversation.)

#299999 - 28/11/01 08:41 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
See, once again you guys don't understand the sub-code concept. It's an incoming filter, not an outgoing scramble. Anyone with any FRS can hear anyone else using any FRS, subcode or not, if they have a non-subcode model or have the subcode turned off. All it does is keep you from hearing others that aren't on the exact combination.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#300000 - 28/11/01 08:52 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
Actually, the subchannels use what is called a subaudible tone. If the radio that is transmitting does not use the same tone that you are using, then your radio never opens the squelch (this is the same way that HAM repeaters work with PL tones).

Yes, anyone with the same subaudible can hear you and transmit to you....it is not really a privacy thing, but it allows more people on the same frequencies.

#300001 - 28/11/01 08:54 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
The two mile range is also in optimal conditions. Realistically, you can expect just under one wmile if transmitting from inside a vehicle.

#300002 - 28/11/01 09:40 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Griffin2020:
Actually, the subchannels use what is called a subaudible tone. If the radio that is transmitting does not use the same tone that you are using, then your radio never opens the squelch (this is the same way that HAM repeaters work with PL tones).

Yes, anyone with the same subaudible can hear you and transmit to you....it is not really a privacy thing, but it allows more people on the same frequencies.

Yea.. what he said..

BTW.. read the test book and get your HAM license. Get a real radio, FRS is for kids and C(hicken) B(and) doesn't get out far enough. Not to mention noisy. laugh

(just being a radio snob) wink

#300003 - 28/11/01 11:48 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
i've got the talk about 250s and love them. It helps if all your buddies have the same thing. My friend with a cobra can listen to us, but not talk to us.

The 250 and up have the scan feature, which will allow you to find ANY conversation while you are talking, so subchannels DON'T completely protect your privacy.

The Sports authority had them listed in this weeks paper for $60 each with a $30 rebate (20 mail-in, $10insantly) so at $30 you can't go wrong. I use to sell them at my sporting goods store for $150-$200 last year, and they sold like candy.

#300004 - 28/11/01 03:58 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
CDXX Offline

Loc: Beverly, MA
We use a bunch of BellSouth Model 1022's at our summer camp. I bought them for $40 each at Walmart. The have all 14 channel and 38 subcodes, 3 different rings, channel scan, VOX, and best of all they're rechargeable right out of the package! We used and abused these babies all around our facility and found them to work great. Each recharge lasted 2 to 3 days depending on how often you talked. Their range was good enough to work from one end to the other at Canobie Lake Amusement Park in NH. I've also used them with pretty good success at Sunday River Ski area in ME. The subcodes are in the same order as the Motorolas as well. I just bought a couple more to add to our collection and found that the price has dropped to 27.00 each!

#300005 - 28/11/01 04:23 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
TalkAbouts offer the advantage of being mobile. Many times during a trail run, someone needs to be out of a vehicle, and on the FRS spotting someone. Can't do that with CB, unless you get a mobile.

The FRS is more convenient, and doesn't require everyone in the club to buy and install a CB.

#300006 - 28/11/01 11:02 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
I got my cobra radios for test driving my Xterra. Kinda sweet deal although I hardly ever use them. If I ever go to gox I will bring them now I guess.

#300007 - 28/11/01 11:07 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
I love the daypack I got for test driving the Xterra! I already had a Motorola for backpacking so I didn't need the Cobras.

I'd like to get a Ham licence and radio but the radios seem to cost a bit more than FRS wink .

Xterra101.com

#300008 - 29/11/01 03:57 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I too got the free Cobra radios from Nissan but they don't work well with other brands. I bought a Motorolla 280 SLK and sold the Cobras for $30.

#300009 - 29/11/01 05:11 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
OffroadX Offline

Yup, seems to confirm it, the Cobras just don't jive with the rest of the FRS world. Either they sound like crap or they just don't come in at all.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#300010 - 29/11/01 07:21 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Dayspring Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
See, once again you guys don't understand the sub-code concept. It's an incoming filter, not an outgoing scramble. Anyone with any FRS can hear anyone else using any FRS, subcode or not, if they have a non-subcode model or have the subcode turned off. All it does is keep you from hearing others that aren't on the exact combination.

Brent

I actually said that Brent. I said that without subchannels, you are stuck with 14 channels. but with the subchannels, you get 532 combinations. I ALSO said that it doesn't prevent them from being on the same channel/subchannel, but with the enormity of channels, it's unlikely.

Please read the post before you tell me I'm wrong. Some of us DO know what the hell we're talking about. mad

#300011 - 29/11/01 10:47 AM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
OffroadX Offline

Dude, you still don't get it, or at least you aren't approaching it from the right side of the issue.
Sure there are 532 combinations and the chances of someone else interrupting your conversation are very small. But, anyone can hear your conversation, period.
If you were looking at it as a "quiet place" perspective, that's one thing. I was looking at it as a "private place" which is another thing entirely.

So simmer down!
Brent

#300012 - 29/11/01 12:34 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Dayspring Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Dude, you still don't get it, or at least you aren't approaching it from the right side of the issue.
Sure there are 532 combinations and the chances of someone else interrupting your conversation are very small. But, anyone can hear your conversation, period.
If you were looking at it as a "quiet place" perspective, that's one thing. I was looking at it as a "private place" which is another thing entirely.

So simmer down!
Brent

Dude, I think I do get it. I never once said it was private. I specifically mentioned that anybody could surf in, even with the 532 possible channels. All I said was that the chances are small. 1 in 532 I believe.

And in actuality, here's how it works- A model with out sub channels will broadcast and can be heard by a unit running subchannels. However, if the unit with subchannels tries talking, the model w/o won't hear. Trust me. I've gone through it.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Dayspring ]

#300013 - 29/11/01 01:01 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
and again, anyone can use the scan button to listen to conversations and then interupt them. Very easy to do, especially when a lot of people are using them (like at a ski resort)

#300014 - 29/11/01 04:26 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Rosco Offline

Loc: Atlanta
The reason I prefer my Talkabout to a cb is they are more flexible. I take them hunting, hiking and fishing with my buddies. They better fit my needs. It depends on what you want to use them for.

#300015 - 29/11/01 05:14 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
TalkAbouts offer the advantage of being mobile. Many times during a trail run, someone needs to be out of a vehicle, and on the FRS spotting someone. Can't do that with CB, unless you get a mobile.

The FRS is more convenient, and doesn't require everyone in the club to buy and install a CB.

Yeah! What he said! Everyone in PNWX is required to have one! Some of us have CB, but it requires doing and install and antenna and blah blah blah....

-Rick

#300016 - 29/11/01 07:02 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
OffroadX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dayspring:

Dude, I think I do get it. I never once said it was private. I specifically mentioned that anybody could surf in, even with the 532 possible channels. All I said was that the chances are small. 1 in 532 I believe.

And in actuality, here's how it works- A model with out sub channels will broadcast and can be heard by a unit running subchannels. However, if the unit with subchannels tries talking, the model w/o won't hear. Trust me. I've gone through it.

Still wrong. There are only 14 channels that anyone attempting to eavesdrop has to go through. They would have to get the right combination of the 532 to actually reply.
And I don't know what kind of test you did, but I'll repeat, if you're broadcasting on channel 4 sub-code 20, ANYONE listening on channel 4 without a sub-code enabled (or even available) can hear you.

Ah fuck it, this should clam you up:
CTCSS: Truths and Myths of the "privacy codes".

Brent

#300017 - 29/11/01 07:37 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Dayspring Offline

Here's the deal-

Person 1- FRS Channel 1, Sub 1
Person 2- FRS Channel 1.

Person 2 can be heard through Person 1's radio. Person 1 cannot be heard through person 2's. I was there. We were gearing up for a long drive, it happens. I hope this clams you up.

Don't tell me I don't know how to use a Talkabout. Don't keep telling me that I'm wrong, because sometimes real world application and drawing board theory differ.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Dayspring ]

#300018 - 29/11/01 07:48 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
OffroadX Offline

That is totally bass-ackwards. 2 should hear 1. 1 should not hear 2.

Beats me, somethings screwy.

Brent

#300019 - 29/11/01 07:52 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
Dayspring Offline

Then I guess that means I'm not the complete idiot you think I am... Gee, go figure...

#300020 - 04/12/01 11:38 PM Re: Motorola talk about, any good?
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Dayspring:
Then I guess that means I'm not the complete idiot you think I am... Gee, go figure...

Ummmmm...nevermind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal