2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#300744 - 05/01/03 01:14 PM A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
I think the 2000 is the only year that won't allow you to operate the power windows for a short time after the key is turned off. I am forever turning off the truck and halfway out the door when I notice a window is down. I have to turn the key back on to close the windows. Sure, it's my own stupidity but I'm tired of it.

I'm gonna build me a little box that allows the windows to work for 1 minute after I turn off the key. This should be even simpler than the wiper delay. Anybody else want one?

#300745 - 05/01/03 01:33 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
Bobby_X Offline

Hmm.. Would it be pretty cheap? smile

Could you build something to detect when the regulator in the window is dead so it won't roll the window down 2 inches then get stuck? smile

#300746 - 05/01/03 03:56 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would be very interested if it's inexpensive and easy to install. The window shutoff irritates me too!

#300747 - 05/01/03 03:59 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
wadspang Offline

Loc: PA
I'd buy one.

#300748 - 05/01/03 06:09 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
XmtbX00 Offline

Loc: Denver
Great idea! I am definitely in.

#300749 - 05/01/03 06:14 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
I think it would be more helpful to have an accessory switch that would power the windows and radio without the key. Hide the switch and flip it on when ever needed.

I've figured out how to get my radio to behave this way, the windows are another issue all together.

#300750 - 05/01/03 06:30 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Been toying with this idea for a while now myself. I was thinking of just tying a relay into the dome light circuit to send power to the windows. The dome light is already on a 30-second timer after the key is removed... The dome light circuit is ground-switched I think, hence the relay.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#300751 - 05/01/03 06:36 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I'd be interested, depending on cost and installation details. wink Nice work Electroken, keep up the great mods.

#300752 - 05/01/03 07:06 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Been toying with this idea for a while now myself. I was thinking of just tying a relay into the dome light circuit to send power to the windows. The dome light is already on a 30-second timer after the key is removed... The dome light circuit is ground-switched I think, hence the relay.

Brent
That will work too, if you're careful to get the logic right. You need an "or" circuit so that the windows work when the ignition is on OR the dome light is on. If not you'll only be able to use the windows with the dome light on. We still need to account for the condition where the ignition has been turned off but the doors haven't been opened yet.

I've got most of the circuit worked out. The hardest part is making sure that when the circuit deactivates the windows it powers itself down as well. There are enough constant drains on the battery already.

#300753 - 05/01/03 07:15 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
I would be interested. Can't remember how many times I've gotten somewhere and been ready to climb out of the X, only to look back and see a rear window open. Then it's put everything down, insert the key, close the window, take out the key, and gather everything back up again. Pain in the ass.

It seems like a very good idea.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#300754 - 05/01/03 07:46 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
Add one more to the interested list.

#300755 - 05/01/03 08:30 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
The idea is great, had that feature on my 4runner, power was only supplied until I opened the door though.
Just a suggestion, but would it be that more difficult to have the windows auto roll up when the truck is armed ? I had that module added with my aftermarket alarm and find it priceless.

#300756 - 05/01/03 09:49 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
OffroadX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroKen:
That will work too, if you're careful to get the logic right. You need an "or" circuit so that the windows work when the ignition is on OR the dome light is on. If not you'll only be able to use the windows with the dome light on. We still need to account for the condition where the ignition has been turned off but the doors haven't been opened yet.
Is it really that intricate? Obviously I haven't really hashed it out, and I'm just a hobby/amateur electrically, but I wasn't thinking of any "smarts" in the system.
I was pretty much just thinking of tapping into the dome light circuit for the trigger side of the relay, and having the switch side just feed an always-hot supply into the existing window circuit after its relay. There would be juice getting to the windows with the light off and key on, with the key off and light on, and of course when both the key and light are on. The last scenario does give me pause though, not sure if it's really wise to have 2 independent hots going to the same device that might actually see each other. If I actually took some time to think about it, I bet I'd realize I'm missing a big pitfall, but that was what I was going to explore.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#300757 - 06/01/03 04:32 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

One relay and two diodes take care of every condition except the one special case I mentioned earlier. The diodes maintain the isolation between the two circuits.

I'm drawing two versions of the circuit to see which I like better. One is analog and based on a voltage comparator. The other is digital with a < $1 microcontroller.

#300758 - 06/01/03 07:58 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
OffroadX Offline

Ignition off with doors closed? I suppose that could be handy, but I'd just open the door...

Brent

#300759 - 06/01/03 09:00 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
My gm had that feature... it was nice, cause I could go out, flip the key on and off, and listen to the radio for 10 minutes or so before things timed out...

It did have the side effect of leaving the stereo powered up for 10 minutes after the remote start disengaged... no big deal but it looks kind of funny to have the stereo blasting with no one in the car.

If youre worried about rolling windows up - and you have an extra alarm channel free, get the DEI window module. (need one for every two windows).

You'd get full one-touch functionality (up and down, both windows), the ability to crack them after arming for hot days, auto-rollup, and auto-rolldown. (You must run wires to the other doors if you want them to have one-touch capability also, otherwise it's just drivers switches).

Hey - you know, if you tied the door lock pulse to the armed input on the DEI module, you could probably get the thing to work with a factory SMART entry system too.

For the $90 the module costs, it's worth it (The module includes all relays internally). Well, okay, it seems steep - until you get used to having the features, then it sucks to not have them!

Ya know what I'd like to see? Auto A/C for the X (like my wife's Maxima). The Pathfinders system looks pretty complicated... it even looks for sunlight heat loads and stuff. (maybe I won't try to find one from the junkyard. smile But it's nice to be able to set the temp at 75, and no matter what it's doing outside, remote start will heat/cool to bring it to target.

Especially in Texas. We start at 30 degrees in the morning, and end the day ay 70. Tough to remember to pre-set the a/c controls.

I guess the key to getting auto a/c in the X would be motorizing the manual controls. Ideally in a manner that you could still manually control them...

-=RB42

#300760 - 06/01/03 09:16 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
OffroadX Offline

I'd just be content to have the A/C engaged with the fan on "3" and the dial cranked all the way CCW. If it's too cold by the time I get there, it's just a few seconds to get it back where I want it. "Auto" temp control is just another goo-gaw we never needed, right up there with the Navigator's power-folding rear seat :rolleyes:

Brent

#300761 - 06/01/03 10:01 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
"Auto" temp control is just another goo-gaw we never needed, :rolleyes:
Brent
Admit it, your jealous of a luxury SUV feature. smile

I like the 'auto' setting, it adjusts fan speed for the temp you want and doesnt turn the fan on till it can actually deliver a air stream that get it where you want.

#300762 - 07/01/03 07:47 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
rb42 Offline

Nah - don't get me wrong, the heater and AC in the X is great - faster than my wife's fully automatic Maxima actually. And the controls are placed perfect for me. (I sat in a friends Toyota truck last week - what the hell was Toyota thinking when they built that dash? Putting a clock behind the ignition switch?)

But since I've already got remote start, having the A/c automated would be a perfect complement.

It's just a wish... if it was that important to me, I'd have bought the Murano. I just like things automated really... hell I've automated almost all the admin tasks at work, and the Camaro used to "take care of itself" more or less due to the automation junk I threw in it... plus it's fun to work on. smile

-=RB42

#300763 - 14/01/03 07:44 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
XmtbX00 Offline

ElectroKen,
How is your new gadget coming along? I am looking forward to purchasing it once it's complete.

Thanks,
Ron

#300764 - 15/01/03 03:01 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

The circuit design is done and I'm halfway through the microcontroller code (all 20 lines of it). In case anyone thinks that a microcontroller is overkill for this, instead think of it as a 99 cent timer chip. Seems less intimidating somehow.

It fits in the same box as the wiper module. The parts are less expensive than in the wiper module so this guy will be $22 delivered.

This is one gadget I can test on my own truck. If it doesn't go stupid in a week I'll consider it done. I'll build some on vector board for a select few to try and then I'll get a PC board made.

#300765 - 15/01/03 10:55 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
rb42 Offline

Ya know, in another two months, Ken's gonna have so many gadgets that he'll have to consolidate it all into a big silver box under the dash...

It will take the place of the SMART module, and will:
Roll up your windows,
Turn on the A/C or Heat,
Keep your windshield and rear window spotless,
Open the garage for you when you get home,
Auto-Calculate how horrible this tank's MPG was,
Electrocute anyone trying to break in,
Highbeam anyone back that flashes ya cause your lights are too bright,
Tell you if your spotter is steering you wrong through the Radio display,
and auto-mute the radio when an anti-SUV commercial comes on!

Of course, we'll all miss him when Nissan buys his company and moves him to Japan... but the pictures he posts of his Xterra driving up Mt Fuji will be nice!

Hehehhehehe...

#300766 - 16/01/03 10:10 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
OffroadX Offline

Ken,

Too late to tie this to the dome light and/or door switch circuit in addition to or instead of the timer? It'd be nice not to have to find and fumble with the keys to get the windows up in a hurry in a rainstorm or any other time. Anyone else like that idea?

Brent

#300767 - 16/01/03 10:33 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
jaws_o_life Offline

Loc: RVA
mmm...electrocute anyone who breaks in...yea I'll take one of those modules!

#300768 - 16/01/03 06:32 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

I won't mail anyone with the power package anything and tell them to connect it to the dome light circuit. Here's why:

The device that keeps the dome light on after the door is closed is the "Smart Entrance Control Unit". This box runs many systems including:

Remote entry
Dome light
Anti-theft
Ignition kill
Rear window defogger timer

I never want to see a post that says "Ken f-ed up my truck and now none of this stuff works". Anyone can feel free to connect anything they'd like to the SECU but it won't come from me.

The box that I'm almost finished with connects only to the 4 wires of the power window relay. It will run the windows for 1 minute after the key is shut off whether the doors are open are closed. The 1 minute may be too long and I may make it shorter after I live with it for a few days.

#300769 - 17/01/03 09:56 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
OffroadX Offline

Fair enough, though I wasn't thinking of it having anything to do with the SECU, just detecting if there was power flowing through the dome/door circuit and in turn tripping the same relay that the timer does.

Your setup is plenty, just looking for a little extra.

Brent

#300770 - 24/01/03 11:54 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

The first unit is now installed in my X and it appears to work well. Now I need to play with it (the window module) for a while.

3 of the 4 wires connect to the power window relay wires. The power window relay is hidden behind the driver's kick panel. The 4th wire gets grounded to one of the bolts that secures the hood release handle.

Now I need to rant about the Xterra wiring. It is the skimpiest I've ever seen. The green/white wire to the power window relay is only 22 gauge . The circuit is fused for 10 amps! I'd be shot if I called out 22 gauge wire on a 10 amp circuit at work. There should be burned up Xterras everywhere but there isn't. I don't know why.

End of rant.

#300771 - 26/01/03 08:29 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
XmtbX00 Offline

I'm still very interested in this mod. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Ron

#300772 - 26/01/03 09:33 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
20-100 Offline

Loc: Quebec, QC, Canada
I have scanned the appropriate page from my Haynes manual, you can see it here:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/vtepani/xterra/pages/12-33.jpg

#300773 - 26/01/03 10:19 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

I see that Haynes shows a 7.5A fuse for the green/white wire. The Nissan manual shows a 10A fuse. I looked in my fuse panel and I'm relieved to see that it really is 7.5A. So my X is slightly less likely to burst into flame.

#300774 - 03/03/03 01:22 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
XmtbX00 Offline

Hey Ken,
How are your test gadgets working out? I am still very interested in this mod.

Thanks,
Ron

#300775 - 03/03/03 07:22 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

So far there are 3 of them and they seem to be behaving. I guess it's time to get some blank PC boards made up. It should be 3-4 weeks until I have a few "production" units ready.

This project has gone very smoothly, and that always makes me suspicious.

#300776 - 06/03/03 10:27 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ChuckH Offline

Thought I better put a word and a picture in for the group! smile

I have one of the test units and it's great. Very easy to install with Ken's instructions. You only need to actually cut one wire from the factory relay and the rest just tap in...anyone could do this. As you can see, the window control is behind the kick panel on the driver's side where it's easy to get to. I haven't had any problems with the functioning of the windows and highly recommend this mod to 2000 owners.

Here's a picture before things were tucked away.

#300777 - 22/03/03 11:32 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
CDLXterra Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hey i may have missed if you all ready had said this but are you offering these window mods for sale, because i want to buy one.

#300778 - 22/03/03 05:15 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
XmtbX00 Offline

I'm ready to purchase too is they are available.

#300779 - 22/03/03 06:52 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

The blank PC boards will arrive on 3/28. I already know the circuit works, I just need to see that I didn't screw up the board artwork.

#300780 - 02/04/03 06:40 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

Now I won't see the blank PC boards until 4/09. The fabricator had an equipment failure and has to catch up. They make a very nice board, so it will still be worth the wait.

#300781 - 03/04/03 12:05 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Ken, sign me up as well.

I got his fog light mod a year ago and it still works like a charm, as does Staubers wiper mod. Great work.

#300782 - 03/04/03 07:16 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
x2see Offline

Loc: Independance mo usa
I would like one of these also

#300783 - 14/04/03 07:28 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ElectroKen Offline

I finally received the blank circuit boards today and I can now offer the window delay modules to anyone that had the patience to wait this long.

Anyone interested should send me an e-mail or a PM. They are $22 including shipping and come with a wiring diagram. Payment can be in the form of Paypal, a check, or a money order and I'll have the module in the mail by the first Saturday following receipt of payment. I'll e-mail the wiring diagram to anyone who'd like to see what's involved in the installation before they take the plunge.

Thanks for supporting Poor Boy Engineering!

#300784 - 05/05/03 08:11 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
XmtbX00 Offline

My window delay arrived in the mail today, I had it installed in about 15min.

It works! I can't wait to forget to put all my windows up before shutting the truck off laugh

Ken thanks for the new gadget.

Ron

#300785 - 05/05/03 09:18 PM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
ChuckH Offline

I was so programmed to putting my keys back in the ignition that I still do it sometimes. Then I follow it with a knock on the head to remind myself that i don't have to do that anymore! laugh

#300786 - 06/05/03 07:19 AM Re: A new gadget for the 2000 X
XmtbX00 Offline

"Then I follow it with a knock on the head "

Negative reinforcement usually works smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal