2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#300977 - 23/09/05 08:27 AM XM--confused?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me try to be succinct here: On a 2005 SE, and without any audio experience, what is my best bet to get XM: Get the factor unit..about $339 and then $250 to install. Or get the XM Commander for $160 and then have someone install? And what is all this about Pac Niss unit?

Sound quality...is there a huge difference in all of these? And what are most people happy with?

Would appreciate your input. Thanks.

#300978 - 23/09/05 09:04 AM Re: XM--confused?
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, if Nissan wants $339 + $250 (total $589) for the install of the factory headunit with the XM receiver, then my suggestion would be to get an aftermarket headunit with an XM receiver. You can get them cheaper than the Nissan unit and IMO you will get a better quality headunit.

The XM Commander I think uses an FM modulator to get the sound through your car's speakers. This method reduces sound quality.

I don't know about the PAC for the '05. I know there was a LONG thread about it, but I didn't really follow it since I don't own an '05. The idea behind the PAC is using the cd-input of the factory headunit as AUX inputs. I don't know what the outcome of the discussion was for the '05.

#300979 - 23/09/05 12:23 PM Re: XM--confused?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will only answer the things I am confident in answering. If you're paying $589, you can expect much more out an an aftermarket stereo (with XM, too). I'd go that route.

As for the FM modulator, I believe one of the main selling points for XM is the sound quality, which I feel is better than FM. To my mind, running an XM broadcast through an FM modulator is like buying a DVD, recording it onto a VHS tape, and then only watching the tape.

#300980 - 23/09/05 01:12 PM Re: XM--confused?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by CDDiG:
running an XM broadcast through an FM modulator is like buying a DVD, recording it onto a VHS tape, and then only watching the tape.
great analogy

#300981 - 23/09/05 01:50 PM Re: XM--confused?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by woodyas:
Let me try to be succinct here: On a 2005 SE, and without any audio experience, what is my best bet to get XM: Get the factor unit..about $339 and then $250 to install. Or get the XM Commander for $160 and then have someone install? And what is all this about Pac Niss unit?
I had this same question, but regarding Sirius. In the end, I decided that it was easier to buy the tuner, antenna, and bracket kit from the dealer and install myself. Total cost, with tax, was $411. Took me an hour to install. Super easy. Since the 05 SE's are prewired, I didn't have to remove any dash panels. Much better sound than using an FM Modulator and easier than installing an aux in adapter.

#300982 - 23/09/05 01:51 PM Re: XM--confused?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry...I didn't see you had an 02.

#300983 - 24/09/05 05:07 PM Re: XM--confused?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I installed the AAI-NIS PAC box thingy in my 05. Plugs into the head unit were the satelite receiver would. (FYI it's either factory sat or this thing, not both) Has far cleaner sound than an FM modulator.

I like mine, has 2 inputs so you can run both an I-pod etc and an aftermarket sat reciever through it. Easy instal, took about 15 minutes. There is a great post with photos on how to get the dash off on this site if you search.

Found mine on an Ebay online store for 74.99.

I'm cheap so I went this route! I agree with CDDiG that it might be wise to go aftermarket instead of the Nissan factory unit if you have a bit more money to spend. Good luck!

#300984 - 26/09/05 06:35 AM Re: XM--confused?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Woodyas:

Here's what I have. I think this is who I bought it from. They shipped so fast my head spun.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audiovox-XCS9-XM-Kit...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's very easy to install, in fact here's how it looks in my truck:

It works on DC power, which I am using the rear seat's centre console outlet for. I bought a switched power adaptor, so I need only flip the switch.

The antenna is run (follow me here)
It goes under the front seat, to the back floor.
There, the excess cable is coiled under the rear floor mat.
It comes up the side, under the door-shim, up the side of the dash, and sits on right against the windshield, front-passenger side.

I wish I had one of those little magnetic mats!

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal