2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#301804 - 30/01/06 07:40 PM yet another roof rack wiring question
XChosen Offline

Loc: Mustang, OK
I've been searching and trying to understand the wiring of roof lights but I need some simple direction.

My Calmini roof rack will be here before the end of the week. I've got 4 blazer lights for the roof. 2 x driving (center) 2 x fog (outer) I'm going to run two switches to the blank buttons on the dash. Now I've read the threads about drilling and siliconing the hole in the roof and every time I find a link to wiring they are dead. So when you run the wires though the roof do you run them through the firewall to power or can you draw power from the fuse box? All help would be much appreciated.

#301805 - 30/01/06 09:28 PM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, fusebox is a bad idea even with modest lighting. Go to the battery and use a relay and a fuse for the power wire going to the lights to protect that wire if there were a short.

#301806 - 31/01/06 05:45 AM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try this:

Wiring diagram for lights...

It's set up for reverse lights, but it doesn't really matter WHAT kind of lights you use. Just remember that for driving/fog lights, tap into the parking lights and use that power as the trigger for the relay (this is the wire with the switch in it in the diagram). That way, you can't turn on your driving lights unless the parking lights are on. That will also prevent you from leaving the driving lights on and draining your battery (you'll get the "lights on" warning/beep if you do).

If you need more, let me know and I'll help.

-G-

#301807 - 31/01/06 10:12 AM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
You don't HAVE to drill a hole. I didn't want to and just have about 6 inches of covered wires coming out from the top to the rack.

I have my wires running up the weather stripping and then out to the rack.

#301808 - 31/01/06 04:45 PM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
XChosen Offline

Loc: Mustang, OK
Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo:
Try this:

Wiring diagram for lights...

It's set up for reverse lights, but it doesn't really matter WHAT kind of lights you use. Just remember that for driving/fog lights, tap into the parking lights and use that power as the trigger for the relay (this is the wire with the switch in it in the diagram). That way, you can't turn on your driving lights unless the parking lights are on. That will also prevent you from leaving the driving lights on and draining your battery (you'll get the "lights on" warning/beep if you do).

If you need more, let me know and I'll help.

-G-
That is a great help. Now I need to get a relay. I seem to have everything else.

#301809 - 16/03/06 12:56 PM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

SO, socal, your wires come from the passenger door to the rack? No crimping of wires, wind, etc???

I am finally doing this this month adding 4 hella 500s to the Yakima Loadwarrior via a piece of angled aluminum. I'll post pics when finished, but as of now I'm opting for the hole in the roof with some quick disconnects for when I want to remove the light bar.

Anyone running an optima battery??? If so which one, and how much $$ ?

#301810 - 16/03/06 02:28 PM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
These are shitty pictures I just took with my phone but if you look closely you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. They run to the driver's side since that's where the toggle (two position- inner and outer) switch is.

In this pic if you look close, you can see the wire (black in rubber casing) between the trim coming down the a-pillar and to the trim next to the dash. That's the only part that it's remotely exposed there.

Wire from rack to trim:

Each light individually wired on harness with quick disconnet plug.

HELLA Rallye 4000 Compact

#301811 - 16/03/06 02:46 PM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Coming shortly will be another one of my soon to be famous "how to's" on the NEXterra boards covering fabricating and wiring a rooftop light bar. [ThumbsUp]

Barry [Wave]

#301812 - 18/03/06 04:41 PM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

No H2O problems with the wire running into the weather stripping between the door?

I'm not going to lie that I am slightly nervous drilling into the roof, and I know not to drill into the gutter, but I still think it looks the cleanest.

Coltm4a1 how soon are you going to post your project??

#301813 - 20/03/06 08:02 AM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

sinarx,

I finished the project this past weekend and got pics, etc. It takes a little time to write an article, however, I'd be happy to answer questions and share pics if you'd like in the mean time. Maybe PM me?

Thanks

Barry [Wave]

#301814 - 20/03/07 10:29 AM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

stupid question... by ground you guys mean connect to negative terminal of the battery or just bolt it to somewhere on the car body?

thanks

#301815 - 20/03/07 10:42 AM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by huevo:
stupid question... by ground you guys mean connect to negative terminal of the battery or just bolt it to somewhere on the car body?

thanks
bare metal part of the body, for best results be sure to sand away paint.

#301816 - 20/03/07 11:48 AM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

when you drill into the roof, drill the hole underneath the mount for the rack, that way it is completely covered up after you silicone it

#301817 - 20/03/07 12:34 PM Re: yet another roof rack wiring question
Anonymous
Unregistered

so thanks or the previous answers but I just got a few more...

1) if I want to have 4 lamps and 2 switches... is it ok to run 3 wires assuming that all lamps share a common ground???

2) where you guys get that waterproof quick disconnect?

3) if i don't want to bother by tapping the parking light wire, is it ok to directly use a switch with the right amp rating??

4) how do you route the wire trough the firewall??

thanks

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal