Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#301970 - 16/11/01 12:13 PM Re: Daytime running lights
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by psu89:

Typical response.... How about answering a question or shut the f up. I did not ask for sarcastic remarks.

ok that was funny...

but seriously if you really watched all the shit Brent has caught... i think i'd be jaded too....

oh wait, i am laugh

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#301971 - 16/11/01 01:07 PM Re: Daytime running lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry but wouldn't using the radio or AC have the same effect? I mean your alternator has to run to charge the battery and DRL can't require this much juice (you realize DRL is dimmer than when the lights are on full blast right?). Sorry, I don't know the exaxt energy draw but don't understand how this could make that much of a difference. If you know the answer, I'll be all ears.

#301972 - 17/11/01 05:34 PM Re: Daytime running lights
psu89 Offline

Loc: Hagerstown, MD, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by fabien:
Sorry but wouldn't using the radio or AC have the same effect? I mean your alternator has to run to charge the battery and DRL can't require this much juice (you realize DRL is dimmer than when the lights are on full blast right?). Sorry, I don't know the exaxt energy draw but don't understand how this could make that much of a difference. If you know the answer, I'll be all ears.

Your answer here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm

#301973 - 17/11/01 05:37 PM Re: Daytime running lights
psu89 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:

i do the same...

however, insurance companies dont trust you to remember... thats the reason he needs a hard wired system

I guess the cheapes way out would be to hard wire my otherwise useless stock fog lights and call them DRL. I am going to try to set up the front corner lights with a higher wattage bulb and try to make them the DRL.

Thanks for all the responses.
laugh

#301974 - 23/11/01 11:35 AM Re: Daytime running lights
20-100 Offline

Loc: Quebec, QC, Canada
I had installed some aftermarket DRM modules a few years ago (here in Canada, they are standard in vehicles since something like 1990) i think they still have these boxes at Canadian Tire.

The module was a small box (2 x the size of a fog lamp relay) with an "antenna wire" that you had to wrap around a spark plug wire (to detect if the motor is running). These modules where used power on some separates running lights, only when the motor is running.

#301975 - 30/11/01 07:01 PM Re: Daytime running lights
adamant Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Um... why not just tell your insurance company you have them?

Are they honestly going to check it to make sure... do they have "inspections" of your vehicle from time to time?

One of my buddies has a Toyota corolla, from 96... before they started putting ABS on everything that rolls...

He gets a discount because he says the car has Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS). Even though the insurance company could just look at the car specs and see that it doesnt. They don't care.

Adamant

#301976 - 30/11/01 08:34 PM Re: Daytime running lights
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
they don't care.. until you claim something and they check the car out... oh.. you lied, sorry ... doesn't matter if the claim is connected to the false statement or not.

#301977 - 01/12/01 08:01 AM Re: Daytime running lights
adamant Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Well, he's put in claims from people hitting him and for comprehensive stuff (had his car broken into)...

but he's never been called on it. DRLs are prolly just as hard to confirm as ABS... Unless they specifically look for it

I dunno, maybe its a lil dishonest, but he has only been in one accident that was his fault... and that was way back... so for the past 5 years hes basically been paying the insurance company and they have been rakin it in without him claiming anything other than a small theft.

There are certain people you can justify putting one over on. And in my mind, if an insurance company is going to charge you a lot of money and you never need it... then you should pay as lil as possible.

(i know, you never know when yer gonna need it... but after five years, yer rates should go down... by default. If not, make them go down... =0) )

Jus my take on it...

Adamant

#301978 - 01/12/01 12:55 PM Re: Daytime running lights
psu89 Offline

I don't know about his insurance company but mine can tell all of the options my 2 vehicles have by the VIN #. That's all I gave them and the policy listed the exact options I had.

Quote:
Originally posted by adamant:
Well, he's put in claims from people hitting him and for comprehensive stuff (had his car broken into)...

but he's never been called on it. DRLs are prolly just as hard to confirm as ABS... Unless they specifically look for it

I dunno, maybe its a lil dishonest, but he has only been in one accident that was his fault... and that was way back... so for the past 5 years hes basically been paying the insurance company and they have been rakin it in without him claiming anything other than a small theft.

There are certain people you can justify putting one over on. And in my mind, if an insurance company is going to charge you a lot of money and you never need it... then you should pay as lil as possible.

(i know, you never know when yer gonna need it... but after five years, yer rates should go down... by default. If not, make them go down... =0) )

Jus my take on it...

Adamant

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal