2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#304504 - 01/03/06 12:59 PM XM Roady 2 install into '03 HU
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have searched for a novice answer to the question that has been posted here before, but I have not found an answer I can use to complete the install.

I have little experience at all wiring and have never soldered. I have a XM Roady 2 and what to directly connect it to my 2003 Xterra head unit. I do not have the Fostgate with CD changer.

I would appreciate instructions and/or pictures.

Thank you in advance.

#304505 - 01/03/06 02:02 PM Re: XM Roady 2 install into '03 HU
Anonymous
Unregistered

had the roady 2 and i have to say that i was very dissapointed in the sound quality and reception. I would suggest getting a new head unit and external reciever to plug straight in.

#304506 - 01/03/06 09:36 PM Re: XM Roady 2 install into '03 HU
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
The Roady 2 is excellent, the problem is the way you have to interface it. You either have to use the wireless RF, which totally sucks ass, or you have to use the wired RF, which is tolerable, but not very good. However, if you buy a new head unit that has a front mini plug input, then you can hook the Roady 2 up that way and it works well. I have a Roady 2 that I use in two vehicles; a 2005 Volvo Tractor that I use a wired RF modulater in, and my 1990 Geo Storm that I use a mini plug input. I have seperate power and antennas for each vehicle, so all I do is grab the Roady unit itself and put it in whichever one I'm driving. I could also use it at home if I want. That's the great thing about the Roady! My Xterra has a permanent install XM tuner in it though, and there's no question that's the best way to go if you don't care about the portability and you want to spend the bucks on it.

Anyway, if you want good sound on a budget then keep the Roady and replace your head unit with one that has the input. That will get you pretty close to the sound quality you get with a hardwired unit.

#304507 - 01/03/06 09:36 PM Re: XM Roady 2 install into '03 HU
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although I love my XM, their roady does not get the best reception or project the best radio signal. I would suggest getting a new head unit with a built in XM reciever or one with an attachment.

My current set up in the X is a Pinoneer DEH-MP9400 with a built in XM reciever and Auxilary jack. It get perfect reception for an old 1st Gen XM unit.
The Roady is in the other car.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal