Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#304988 - 11/08/06 09:48 PM CB setup questions
ripcurl2151 Offline

Loc: NJ
I just want to say that I've read a bunch of old posts on hear and all the Firestik tech docs, but electrical stuff isn't my specialty so I've got a few questions on hooking up a cb. If you've got some time, bear with me.

I've got a Cobra 75WX ST. I've got a Shrocks front bumper on the way and I plan on mounting a 4' Firestik II FS antenna to it. TJ said a while back that there's a mounting hole on there, but others say there isn't. Anybody know for sure? For the cable I plan on using Firestik's K48R18 18 Foot Fire-Flex Coax w/ Fire-Ring & Stud. I'm goin to somehow run that to the back of the empty space under my radio (no amp) where the control box is going to be mounted. Hopefully there is something back there I can ground to. The main problem I have is that I'm not really sure how to hook up the power. I know I can run it to the fuse box but if someone can give me a little more detail on exactly what to do I'd appreciate it.

Can anybody think of anything else I'd need besides for tuning it? Thanks for any help.

#304989 - 11/08/06 10:03 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, as far as for the power, my CB is powered through the cig lighter (spliced in, everything is done proper). No wires to see. Nice and clean. Fused by it's own fuse and through the cig lighter fuse, of course.

#304990 - 14/08/06 01:32 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the same one all I did was take the fuse for the cig lighter out and wrap one of the post of the fuse once. Then stuff it back in there.

As for the ground all I did was find the steering column nut or bolt and put it underneath it and tighten it down. You may have to strip the wire more for this to get it to wrap it around.

#304991 - 14/08/06 01:46 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are going to need an SWR meter.

#304992 - 14/08/06 02:51 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright, maybe my idea of hard wiring that sucker right into the cig outlet was not the best idea. Right now I'm starting to suspect that THIS is what's cousing the static that I hear with my CB now. I came to that conclusion after to a fellow club member who was having the same issue before.

#304993 - 14/08/06 03:18 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

ive got the firestik II mounted on my shrock bumper. i didnt see a hole in there for an antenna, so i drilled my own. anyways, here is where i mounted mine.

ive been told that mounting it on the passenger side is not the best for reception., but i also didnt want it in my direct sight either. it works on the trail most importantly, and i have had reception for alteast one mile away. good enough for me.

#304994 - 14/08/06 03:22 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

also, i hard wired into my cig lighter both positive and negative wires and have had no issues whatsoever. there are 2 fuses on mine that way. 1 that is in direct line from the cb to the cig. lighter, and then the one for the cig. lighter.

you can probably take your X to a truck station some where once its all installed and running and have them tune it for you.

#304995 - 14/08/06 04:22 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by steelX:
also, i hard wired into my cig lighter both positive and negative wires and have had no issues whatsoever. there are 2 fuses on mine that way. 1 that is in direct line from the cb to the cig. lighter, and then the one for the cig. lighter.

you can probably take your X to a truck station some where once its all installed and running and have them tune it for you.
See, this is what I was talking about in the last post. I was talking to Backpacker the other day and he had noise from his CB hardwired that way. So I'm gonna try other ways.

And another thing. What would the truckers do to tune it that I couldn't? Assuming I found out the right way how.

#304996 - 14/08/06 04:35 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

i dont think the truckers would do anything to your truck, that doesnt even make any sense.

assuming you have SWR METER to tune your antenna and actually know what your doing...nothing

and the part about tuning was meant to answer ripcurls question about tuning his antenna not you fixing your noise problem.

#304997 - 14/08/06 04:51 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
i dont think the truckers would do anything to your truck, that doesnt even make any sense.

assuming you have SWR METER to tune your antenna and actually know what your doing...nothing

and the part about tuning was meant to answer ripcurls question about tuning his antenna not you fixing your noise problem.
Yeah, I know you were talking to him, I'm just going along seeing if I can get rid of my issue while I'm at it.

2. I wasn't talking about doing anything to the truck [Freak]

3. I was actually thinking about switching to a diff. antennae, thus the question. I just wasn't clear on that - typed too fast.

confused

#304998 - 14/08/06 07:54 PM Re: CB setup questions
ripcurl2151 Offline

thanks for the replies guys. I'm probably going to end up drilling a hole through the bumper like manny did for the antenna and I'll pick up a cheap SWR meter from somewhere to tune it.

so for the power i can either splice into the cig lighter power cord or run the wire to a fuse and wrap it around one of the blades/posts? I was also thinking about trying to get power directly from the battery since i'm going to be going through the firewall for the antenna anyway. i couldn't find a whole lot of good info on doing that though.

#304999 - 14/08/06 09:01 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, don't use the fire ring. If you are mounting it to the front bumper, use a Firestick spring/stuf mount.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss34ah-combo-heavy-duty-ss-spring-stud-mount-p-824.html

Use this Coax.

http://www.walcottcb.com/rg8x-coax-cable-18-foot-length-most-popular-p-729.html

Now, the problem you will run into with this installation is that the nylon washer that comes with the stud mount will not properly prevent the antenna from grounding out. You will want to get a piece of shrink wrap from Radio Shack that fits around the stud mount. Cut it about 1/2" long, slip it over the threads of the bottom part of the stud mount and heat it up. Then stick it up through the hole in the bumper, place the washer on top (with the lip sticking down) and then screw the spring on. You might want to put a few drops of blue lock-tite on the threads. Tighten up with a wrench. Then put your antenna on and snug it up with a wrench.

Run your coax, keeping it away from as many electrical components as possible. Hook up both ends. Then adjust the SWR. I suggest a small SWR meter that you can leave attached all the time. It's not a bad idea to check your SWR from time to time.

#305000 - 15/08/06 03:10 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ripcurl2151:
thanks for the replies guys. I'm probably going to end up drilling a hole through the bumper like manny did for the antenna and I'll pick up a cheap SWR meter from somewhere to tune it.
let me know where you pick it up from and how cheap it is, i would like to get one myself.

Quote:
Originally posted by ripcurl2151:
I was also thinking about trying to get power directly from the battery since i'm going to be going through the firewall for the antenna anyway. i couldn't find a whole lot of good info on doing that though.
i can take pics for you of where i went thru the firewall and posts them up if you like.

#305001 - 15/08/06 03:47 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
First, don't use the fire ring. If you are mounting it to the front bumper, use a Firestick spring/stuf mount.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss34ah-combo-heavy-duty-ss-spring-stud-mount-p-824. html

Use this Coax.

Now, the problem you will run into with this installation is that the nylon washer that comes with the stud mount will not properly prevent the antenna from grounding out. You will want to get a piece of shrink wrap from Radio Shack that fits around the stud mount. Cut it about 1/2" long, slip it over the threads of the bottom part of the stud mount and heat it up. Then stick it up through the hole in the bumper, place the washer on top (with the lip sticking down) and then screw the spring on. You might want to put a few drops of blue lock-tite on the threads. Tighten up with a wrench. Then put your antenna on and snug it up with a wrench.

Run your coax, keeping it away from as many electrical components as possible. Hook up both ends. Then adjust the SWR. I suggest a small SWR meter that you can leave attached all the time. It's not a bad idea to check your SWR from time to time.
That makes no sense, why wouldn't he use the FireRing? The FireRing attaches to a spring/stud mount just like any other connection (it just requires a longer stud in the bottom to thread into the stud mount) The FireRing is just the attachment point of the coax that attaches to the Firestik Spring and Stud Mount...I have one, so I know it works. The only difference between the FireRing and most conventional hook ups is that the FireRing actually surrounds the entire stud, and is bolt on, not screw on. The FireRing will always be stronger and always have better connectivity because of the way it is designed.

Have you used the FireRing connection before?

#305002 - 15/08/06 06:23 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

i dont think you need a 18 ft coax either. i used 9 ft and had to tie up about 2 1/2 ft of it. thats from the center of my console thru the firewall and to the bumper.

#305003 - 15/08/06 06:59 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
i dont think you need a 18 ft coax either. i used 9 ft and had to tie up about 2 1/2 ft of it. thats from the center of my console thru the firewall and to the bumper.
I agree on that one...and for the original poster, if you do end up with additional coax that you need to tie up..make sure you tie it in a loose "loop"...tying it up too tight or kinking it will cause your reception to diminish, and will ulitmately ruin the coax.

#305004 - 15/08/06 09:47 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave03X:
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
[b]First, don't use the fire ring. If you are mounting it to the front bumper, use a Firestick spring/stuf mount.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss34ah-combo-heavy-duty-ss-spring-stud-mount-p-824. html

Use this Coax.

Have you used the FireRing connection before?[/b]
I have and don't like the design. I have seen way too many people have problems with them. I love FireStik's stuff, but I will stick to (and suggest) the standard in CB connections. Beside, if it should ever need fixed you can get studs and cables for the RGX8 standard just about any place.

You also want an 18' coax even if you don't need that much. Most antenna's are designed for 18' coax so it makes it much easier to keep your SWR down with 18 over 9. That doesn't mean 9 won't work, but you might have a hard time getting your SWR under 2.

#305005 - 16/08/06 05:32 AM Re: CB setup questions
ripcurl2151 Offline

From everything I've read 18' coax is what's best to use, but 18' would be a lot just running from behind the dash to the bumper. Do you know if there's enough room to stash the extra cable back there somewhere?

Manny ~ I'm at work now and I can't find the SWR site, but they had meters for around only $15 i think. I'll post a link when I get back home. If you could post a picture of where you went through the firewall it'd be helpful.

#305006 - 16/08/06 06:03 AM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as getting power, here's my setup. Originally I had stuff spliced into cig. lighters, but once I got some offroad lights, I redid everything as it's much cleaner and easier to add stuff later on.

I ran pos/neg from the battery to a marine fuse block

and from there one of the circuits is used for inside stuff. I ran a set of wires inside the cab through one of the premade holes to a small distribution block. (found some sheet metal lying around, tapped holes for the block and drilled a hole for the big mounting bolt)

On the top, red sheath=pos, blue sheath=neg, so I have 3 power terminals to run stuff off of. Mounting location is just past the e-brake assembly.

As far as CB cable lengths go, 18 ft is most popular, but if it's way too long get something smaller. It's not that crucial. Just make sure the cable is designed for CB use at that length and it's not just an 18 footer cut up.

#305007 - 16/08/06 11:24 AM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just a few weeks ago I helped a guy install a CB in a first gen X. He mounted the antenna in one of the light holes in his Shrock bumper. We ran the antenna up behind the passanger head light and down the passanger fender. There is a rubber gromet in the firewall. I cut a small hole in it and fed the wire through (had to take the glove box out). We mounted the CB to he side of the center console on the passanger side. We used an 18' antenna and there wasn't much extra. I loosly looped it back and forth, wire tired it in the middle and stuffed it up under the dash behind the glove box.

The only thing that I did not like about this install is that the antenna runs right past the blower motor for the heater/AC.

He is getting perfect SWR and the motor doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I have not talked to him about it since that weekend, but I assume it's still working well.

#305008 - 16/08/06 11:28 AM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the same 75WX ST as you, and I mounted the small power box under the middle console, and since the 03 has a 12v power slot in the middle console, I ran my wires up from underneath the console, and plug it into the outlet with an adapter.

Clean, and out of the way. I did have some annoying noise, but cured that with a noise filter.

My antenna is on the rear, so I am no help for a front antenna mount.

#305009 - 16/08/06 06:23 PM Re: CB setup questions
ripcurl2151 Offline

i've definitely gotten some good ideas. when i decide what i'm going to do and get it all hooked up once i get the bumper i'll post some pics.

here's a link to some cheap SWR meters
http://www.buyreliant.com/cbacc/swr_meters.htm

#305010 - 21/08/06 07:56 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use to install CB radios for a living ... back in 1976 when we were happy to have 23 channels! I'm a ham now but will break out the old dusty Cobra and K40 out of storage one of these days.

For your SWR make sure you check both ends of your radio - you want the SWR to be a bit high on each end and "perfect" 1.1:1 in the middle at channel 20 - right next door to channel 19 where even after 30 years the truckers still live.

For your noise ... if it's a crackly static it might just be normal. Adjust your squelch up until it cuts out the back ground noise. If it's a pop-pop-pop that only is present when the truck is running it's a bad spark plug or wire. Normally resistor plugs and wires fix that. If the noise is a whirling that goes up and down with the RPM's it's alternator noise which is either a bad ground or a bad filter on the alternator - they sell filters for this noise at the CB stores.

Also check your radio to see if it has ANR - Automatic Noise Reduction and turn that guy on. It will hurt your very distant listening but make all other listening cleaner.

73's

KG6xxx

#305011 - 21/08/06 08:02 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forgot to add ...

1. Flick the meter switch to forward.
2. Change the radio to channel 40.
3. Key up the mic and adjust the knob for 100% as marked on the meter.
4. Flick the meter switch to reflected (sometimes reverse).
5. Key up the mic and make a reading. You want as low a reading as possible.
6. Now do the same on channel 1.

If the reading was higher on channel 40 than channel 1 trim the antenna a tad (1/4" to 3/8th) and try again until you've cut enough that both ends are equal. Some come with an adjustable slider that you just loosen the set screw and lower.

If the reading is higher on channel 1 than channel 40 then you have to lenghten your antenna. Some come with an adjustable slider that you loosen the set screw and raise.

Go slow and get it done right.

#305012 - 05/09/06 07:49 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was reading through this post and got to wondering, where is everyone mounting their radios? I need to mount a small ham radio in my wife's X and I am looking for ideas. Adivce is greatly appreciated( pics are better)
Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal