Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#305013 - 05/09/06 10:06 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the Cobra 75WXST so it's mounted under the dash, below the steering wheel.

For a Ham, depending on the size, I would mount it to the passanger side of the center console or in the center console compartment.

#305014 - 06/09/06 07:28 AM Re: CB setup questions
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by ga_firefighter:
I was reading through this post and got to wondering, where is everyone mounting their radios? I need to mount a small ham radio in my wife's X and I am looking for ideas. Adivce is greatly appreciated( pics are better)
Thanks
Ditch the stock stereo and get a good DIN size front-firing speaker setup like the Uniden Pro538W or the Cobra 18

ETA: The Uniden has an RF gain knob and a PA switch - which is why I bought it over the Cobra - but it is a bit too deep for the space in the dash and I ended up having to mod the radio to run an antenna jack out the bottom of it - there just wasn't enough space in the back without cutting into the air ducts... so I'd recommend the Cobra for this application.

#305015 - 06/09/06 04:51 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ga_firefighter:
I was reading through this post and got to wondering, where is everyone mounting their radios? I need to mount a small ham radio in my wife's X and I am looking for ideas. Adivce is greatly appreciated( pics are better)
Thanks
I have my CB mounted inder the dash, below the glove compartment. I mounted it that way because where I live I do not want my stuff to be visible at night (read: got my windows busted before) and I didn't wanna take it out each time, as it's a pain in the ass.

This way it's out of the way of passenger's legs and I can still reach it from the driver's side. Then again, I'm 6'7" and my arms are pretty long.

#305016 - 06/09/06 05:52 PM Re: CB setup questions
ripcurl2151 Offline

Loc: NJ
i'm going to mount the control box thing for my cobra 75wxst in the little cubby hole area behind the shifter under the radio.

back to my dillema from before - does anybody have pictures handy of where they went through the firewall with the antenna and other wires? i looked but couldn't find anything good.

#305017 - 06/09/06 06:44 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ripcurl2151:
back to my dillema from before - does anybody have pictures handy of where they went through the firewall with the antenna and other wires? i looked but couldn't find anything good.
sorry man, i goofed on that one. ill take and post them tomorow.

#305018 - 07/09/06 11:38 AM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

heres dem pictures.

firewall on the left side if your facing the truck, right under the hole where the hood goes in.

this is where it came out inside the truck

then i went down the inner fender towards the battery

right in front of the battery is where the headlights go in, i pushe back the cardboard like material and put the coax right thru there.

this is where it come out of the engine bay and under the bumper to where i drilled the whole.

on the inside this is where i ran the wires to the middle console.

from what i remember, i took a wire coat hanger, and pushed it thru the grommet in the fire wall. when it came out inside the truck, i taped the coax to the hanger, and pulled it thru the firewall.

hope that helps, if it doesnt let me know what pics you need to see, i will take them.

#305019 - 07/09/06 12:41 PM Re: CB setup questions
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
It's not that I need to remount my CB or anything at this point, but I'm curious... How did you secure the CB under the HU? Or, is it just sitting there, but tight enough not to just slide out by itself?

#305020 - 07/09/06 01:28 PM Re: CB setup questions
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
The brackets from the factory radio line up perfectly with the mounting hole in either side of the radio - so it just bolted right in! The thread pitch/size was even the same so I used the factory torx-head bolts.

It might be hard to tell from that photo - but the CB face sticks out about an inch farther than the face of the stereo - but that's no big deal.

#305021 - 07/09/06 02:49 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The brackets from the factory radio line up perfectly with the mounting hole in either side of the radio - so it just bolted right in! The thread pitch/size was even the same so I used the factory torx-head bolts.

It might be hard to tell from that photo - but the CB face sticks out about an inch farther than the face of the stereo - but that's no big deal.
i like that set-up (the din sized cb), if i ever decide to re-do my setup im definately going that route. [ThumbsUp]

#305022 - 08/09/06 02:04 PM Re: CB setup questions
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Excellent. [ThumbsUp] Good to know. smile

#305023 - 09/09/06 12:19 PM Re: CB setup questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are a few pics of how I mounted my Cobra 75

The unit is beneath the center console behind the shifter. A noise chopper filter is mounted in front of the shifter.

Here's what it looks like when I have the unit out.

Here's with it in.

A lot of the time when I'm using it I'll hang it from the mirror.

Power wires were fed through the big grommet behind the emergency brake on the driver's side firewall.

Engine side showing where the wires run. Wires for the lights are run through the same location.

Main power for the CB (and lights) are fed from a Marine fuse block mounted on the passenger side and tapped directly to the battery.

I may relocate the main CB unit to the back of the center console, though. I thought having it on the flat part was a good idea in the beginning, but since I spilled a drink on it, I've rethought my position. Also, moving it would keep the quick release part out of sight as well.

That's it. Hope this helps.

#305024 - 09/09/06 05:50 PM Re: CB setup questions
ripcurl2151 Offline

thanks for all the pics guys, they should help out.

it turns out my bumper won't be ready for about another month still so i've gotta wait on the install, but i just want to have everything planned out. i think i'm going to try using a marine fuse block too. seems like the best idea since i'll hopefully be adding lights down the road.

#305025 - 13/11/06 07:12 PM Re: CB setup questions
ripcurl2151 Offline

I know it's a few months later, but I figured I'd let everyone know I finally installed my CB last weekend. It ended up working out really well I think. I mounted the antenna to my shrock bumper and ran the cable up through the firewall. I installed a fuse block on the inner fender wall and ran power and ground wires to that. the control box is mounted to an aftermarket pocket under my HU. it just barely fit behind the hazard lights harness. i went to tune the antenna and it was a perfect 1.1 on every channel I checked. here's a few pics.

the rest of the pics are here
http://rides.webshots.com/album/555369117MpuAYF

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal